• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Technically Gon is still driven by his desire related to his dad. He wants to fight the ants pretty much to avenge Kite (Ging's friend/pupil). It helps that
Kite died
minutes before he handed Ging's license to Gon, which was supposed to help him find Ging.

Sure, but that happened around episode 80 or so - that's 30 episodes ago now, or over 25% of the show's entire run. This is what I mean by this arc's pacing just being diabolically poor.

Yonafunu

I think Killua's character flaws are still there. He's still insecure and careful. I read a review somewhere that emphasized this. He overthinks everything, to a fault. Look at the last couple of episodes, he's the one to suggest the possibility of an unexpected factor, but he overthinks every single aspect of the plan without getting anywhere. He gets in his own way by doing that. Killua plans everything out, but if something changes, he can't properly adapt to it. He can't let it go.
Gon is the exact opposite of this, he acts purely on instinct. While he's much more likely to rush in and get in trouble, he adapts extremely quick to every situation.

Talents

Banned
God dammit, because the thread got bumped I thought the new episode was released, still got 2 days. Pretty hyped for this next episode as I saw some people say that the preview for the next episode had spoilers which hopefully means shit is gonna go down, haven't watched the preview just so I don't ruin it.

Nibel

I think it's one of the reasons I really, really dislike the Ant arc, in all honesty. Do we get a resolution or even progress on the Hisoka/Gon rivalry? No. Does Gon get any closer to finding his dad? No. Does Killua's changed relation with his family and specifically his brother have any meaningful consequences? No. Do we get to find out what happened to Chrollo? No. Is there any meaningful fall-out from Kurapika and the Spiders? No. Do we get to find out anything more about the Hunter organization after all of the subtle hints dropped earlier? No. etc, etc.

The Chimera Ants arc has seemed like a giant piece of filler. It's like DBZ's Garlic Jr. arc, except this one's canon and much, much longer. Every meaningful plot line seemingly just got dropped so we can focus on a bunch of villains that are far less interestingly with the possible exception of the King than any other villain we've dealt with so far. Hell, the arc doesn't even really deal with the characters it newly introduced that well - as soon as the King and co. go solo all of the other ants that we spent 20 odd episodes building up just get dispatched in fairly minor ways. I genuinely feel so much material could just have been skipped, the pacing is ass at the moment.

Dude, if you watch every episode of the ant arc with a checklist that contains those points that you are referring to, then I pity you since you miss all the other stuff that is happening in the arc.

Killua changed a lot, especially during the fight with the ugly rabbit ant; Gon has to realize how weak he actually is compared to many other warriors in the world and he also learns that not every perceived enemy is entirely evil - they both progress a lot as characters because for the first time shit is getting out of hand in the world of HxH. I mean hell, even fucking Netero has to come out and prepare to fight against those beasts. There is a lot of stuff to be learned about everything HxH related, and on top of that the whole Chimera Ant idea is pretty well worked out and just seeing this empire rising is something exceptionally well done. I mean we're watching the evolution of a life form from one lonely and shabby ant queen to a dozens of various beings that evolved to the point they are almost human - it's just fascinating to watch for me.

And since those things are pretty remarkable, I personally don't mind the change of focus; all the stuff about Ging and those points you've mentioned will come one day or another, but for now I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing. If you don't like it, then that#s your opinion, but calling it filler is dumb.

dan2026

At some point you realise that this arc isn't even about Killua or Gon or any of the other hunters.
Its about the King and his character progression.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, if you watch every episode of the ant arc with a checklist that contains those points that you are referring to, then I pity you since you miss all the other stuff that is happening in the arc.

I don't watch it with some sort of checklist, I watch it with the expectation there is a coherent narrative and that plot elements are resolved. At the moment, the narrative is pretty incoherent.

Killua changed a lot, especially during the fight with the ugly rabbit ant;

That was 16 episodes ago, or 5 hours of narrative ago. Beyond that, it was incredibly unsatisfying resolution. We learn how Illumi's been controlling his brother, and Killua's response is basically "meh, whatever". No anger, nothing. Just moves on, except suddenly he's superawesomeperfectbrillianter. Come to that, how he even finds out isn't really satisying. Rammot was a grunt. In Star Trek he'd been an evil red shirt. The fight wasn't that really hype, it was just a random encounter. But suddenly, this random encounter with fairly generic grunt is the one that makes Killua snap? It just seemed like a lame excuse for a power-up to me.

No? Gon has to realize how weak he actually is compared to many other warriors in the world

We've known that since the Heaven's Arena arc. Heck, even if that was new information, it doesn't take us 30 episodes to work out that Pitou is kinda strong.

and he also learns that not every perceived enemy is entirely evil - they both progress a lot as characters because for the first time shit is getting out of hand in the world of HxH.

Again, Gon already knows not every perceived enemy is evil. He's been kind and forgiving the whole series, it's not like he had an epiphany moment.

I mean hell, even fucking Netero has to come out and prepare to fight against those beasts.

That doesn't even mean anything to the viewer at the moment because I've never seem a demonstration of how good Netero is, I've just heard 30-episodes worth of boring-ass exposition by Morel and Knov. I'd be a bit more hype if Netero had actually gone to town on some fools, but for the last 15 episodes, we've had "and soon Netero will turn up and he's superpowerfulawesomer than everyone". That gets immensely tedious when Netero then doesn't actually turn up in about 5 hours worth of material.

There is a lot of stuff to be learned about everything HxH related, and on top of that the whole Chimera Ant idea is pretty well worked out and just seeing this empire rising is something exceptionally well done. I mean we're watching the evolution of a life form from one lonely and shabby ant queen to a dozens of various beings that evolved to the point they are almost human - it's just fascinating to watch for me.

Why? It was all so pointless. The arc could have been set up infinitely faster to get to the actual core character development, plot development and fight scenes, which are the things I want from my shonen. At the moment, I'm getting basically no character development, absolutely no plot development, and fight scenes every 5 episodes.

And since those things are pretty remarkable, I personally don't mind the change of focus; all the stuff about Ging and those points you've mentioned will come one day or another, but for now I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing. If you don't like it, then that#s your opinion, but calling it filler is dumb.

Alright, it feels like fan-fiction, then. Whatever you want to call it, I find the quality of HunterxHunter has bombed downwards. At the York Shin City arc, it was basically the best shonen anime to date, now I'm just sitting through episodes bored silly. Right now, it's making Attack on Titan look like one of the fastest-moving shows out there.

EDIT: and if what dan says is true and this arc is about Meruem, why does it take until episode 91 for him to turn up, when the Chimera Ant arc started at episode 76? This is what I mean about pacing.

kirblar

It's the DBZ/Traditional Shonen-style epic arc. It might not be what you like, but the next arc is something completely different in tone and pace. (And my second favorite, next to Yorknew.)

LogicStep

Killua changed a lot, especially during the fight with the ugly rabbit ant; Gon has to realize how weak he actually is compared to many other warriors in the world and he also learns that not every perceived enemy is entirely evil - they both progress a lot as characters because for the first time shit is getting out of hand in the world of HxH. I mean hell, even fucking Netero has to come out and prepare to fight against those beasts. There is a lot of stuff to be learned about everything HxH related, and on top of that the whole Chimera Ant idea is pretty well worked out and just seeing this empire rising is something exceptionally well done. I mean we're watching the evolution of a life form from one lonely and shabby ant queen to a dozens of various beings that evolved to the point they are almost human - it's just fascinating to watch for me.

And since those things are pretty remarkable, I personally don't mind the change of focus; all the stuff about Ging and those points you've mentioned will come one day or another, but for now I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing.
If you don't like it, then that#s your opinion, but calling it filler is dumb.

Man, you get it! :D

It's the DBZ/Traditional Shonen-style epic arc. It might not be what you like, but the next arc is something completely different in tone and pace. (And my second favorite, next to Yorknew.)

Hype!!

How long is left on this arc? I know this is the last third of the arc, so around how many episodes would that leave us?

I highly disagree. This arc does not feel like filler at all, not even a little. It is a different chunk of the universe that resides within the big chunk of everything. Getting back to ging will come in time.

I have greatly enjoyed this arc.

BTW, I'm halfway through greed island on my backtrack catch up quest! Will get caught up soon to ant arc.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yo... the ant arc is 100% relevant to the overall story/goals. It's just impossible to talk about it without spoilers. Just sit your ass down and get ready to watch.

kirblar

Yo... the ant arc is 100% relevant to the overall story/goals. It's just impossible to talk about it without spoilers. Just sit your ass down and get ready to watch.
I mean, if you want to talk about "no consequences", we just had Greed "nothing happens...nothing happens..." Island. This is not Greed Island.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Greed Island is the best arc PERIOD. So I don't know what you're getting at. While the format of Greed Island may be just an extended Heaven's Arena, in my opinion it actually has the most details about the overall world and other hunters/nen users. It really fleshes everything out with Ging's backstory as well.

kirblar

Greed Island is the best arc PERIOD. So I don't know what you're getting at. While the format of Greed Island may be just an extended Heaven's Arena, in my opinion it actually has the most details about the overall world and other hunters/nen users. It really fleshes everything out with Ging's backstory as well.
There are just no consequences, lol. I totally get what he was doing with the arc (and the lolconsequences thing jibes with that), it just wasn't my cup of tea.

I'm an expert

They're in a SUPERFAMI VIDEO GAME, mang.

Shit is amazeballs.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Even if it ends up relevant, I'm still disappointed for just how long it took to get there. If it is riffing off DBZ etc., then it's missed the point: nobody watched DBZ for Trunk's amazing conversational abilities, they watched it because people blasted other people with energy balls for twenty minutes. I can't remember the last decent fight scene.

kirblar

Ya, it's the YGO/Digimon genre arc. I can totally appreciate it as a deconstruction.

I think something lost in translation is the "This is North Korea" aspect of it. The show has educational stuff mixed in, and this is something relevant given that NK's across the sea from Japan. But if you want fight scenes, you're about to get a truckload of them.

I'm an expert

Even if it ends up relevant, I'm still disappointed for just how long it took to get there. If it is riffing off DBZ etc., then it's missed the point: nobody watched DBZ for Trunk's amazing conversational abilities, they watched it because people blasted other people with energy balls for twenty minutes. I can't remember the last decent fight scene.

HxH is definitely not a DBZ clone. Manga like Bleach are DBZ (and YYH) clones. HxH fans have never expected super awesome power up fights. There's much more plot and world building in a manga like this. The action is also much more methodical. If anything, Naruto is a similar story where the overall history of the characters plays just as much of a role in the story as the action does. Naruto is basically HxH+Flame of Rekka.

But, yeah, you'll get your dose of DBZ action soon.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
HxH is definitely not a DBZ clone. Manga like Bleach are DBZ (and YYH) clones. HxH fans have never expected super awesome power up fights. There's much more plot and world building in a manga like this. The action is also much more methodical. If anything, Naruto is a similar story where the overall history of the characters plays just as much of a role in the story as the action does. Naruto is basically HxH+Flame of Rekka.

I'm not saying it is a DBZ clone - I'd be bored if it was. I was responding to (I think) kirblar, who said that the Chimera Ant arc was Togashi riffing on things like DBZ.

I'm an expert

I'm not saying it is a DBZ clone - I'd be bored if it was. I was responding to (I think) kirblar, who said that the Chimera Ant arc was Togashi riffing on things like DBZ.

Ah, I see, the post further up. Didn't realize. WELL I DISAGREE WITH HIM as the "dbz arc" is obviously Heaven's Arena.

The ant arc is the character development arc.

PG2G

The only bad part is we have to wonder how much we'll ever get beyond the Ant arc. The following arc is fairly short, right?

I'm an expert

The only bad part is we have to wonder how much we'll ever get beyond the Ant arc. The following arc is fairly short, right?

It wouldn't matter much anyway since it'd hit a dead end either way. It's "short" but a ton of shit does happen so it'd be worth it to see animated.

This is why I have loved this ant arc. I have still been massively entertained and interested and invested without fights all over the place. The episodes with just talking basically have been fun and tense to me.

Hell the ant arc may end up be more critical to the overall story than all the other previous ones..but that's beside the point this is really more about the journey than the destination and the journey has been pretty damn good imo.

Mengetsu

Me and my friend had a two month break on the show and finally caught up yesterday. It was so good seeing it all at once. Can't wait for the new episode.

Kieli

Chimera Ant >> Yorkshin > Heaven's Arena > Hunter Exam > Greed Island > Zoldyck.

That being said, I wonder why they decided to keep the same opening song for the past 110 episodes. It doesn't really fit the current arc all that well.

ZoddGutts

Yup, not filler at all. What will happen in this arc will end up playing a crucial role in the next storyline arc.

belushy

Banned
Chimera Ant >> Yorkshin > Heaven's Arena > Hunter Exam > Greed Island > Zoldyck.

That being said, I wonder why they decided to keep the same opening song for the past 110 episodes. It doesn't really fit the current arc all that well.

I like doing lists like this.

Yorknew > Ant > Heavens Arena = Greed Island > Hunter Exam >>> Zoldyck

LogicStep

For me: Ant > Yorkshin > Hunter Exam = Heavens Arena = Greed Island > Zoldyck

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed them all greatly. They were all awesome.

Jigolo

http://www.crunchyroll.com/hunter-x-hunter/episode-111-646067

IV1TAHF.gif

so close

vareon

Sometimes I view Exam-Zoldyck-Heavens-Yorkshin-Greed as one humongous Training Arc and Chimera Ant is the start where Gon and Killua starts their actual Hunter work by their own choice.

My favorite Arc remains Yorkshin because it's shorter and my memory of Chimera Ant is tainted by the hiatus.

Sometimes I view Exam-Zoldyck-Heavens-Yorkshin-Greed as one humongous Training Arc and Chimera Ant is the start where Gon and Killua starts their actual Hunter work by their own choice.

My favorite Arc remains Yorkshin because it's shorter and my memory of Chimera Ant is tainted by the hiatus.

Anime watchers wait two weeks while manga readers waited two years for the same thing. They have it good.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just popping in to say that Yorkshin is probably my favorite arc as well. Chimera Ant arc was cool, but I feel it got bogged down a bit.

Top Bottom