• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

I had trouble with the pacing of this arc at first viewing but now I love it after second viewing! Distracting Pitou with Netero and Zeno (while the others -who were supposed to be the distraction- have no idea of what is going on) when Netero was supposed to be the one who needs help with the distracting so he can get to the King is brilliant.

Akainu

Edit: You guys don't like the narrator? I like it because it explains to me the awesomeness of what I'm about to see, which is the main thing I like about this anime. It's about abilities and imagination, not just power levels.
I have no problem with the narrator. People just need to realize the alternative would be far worse.

I hated the narrator in the manga. I'd rather the visuals do the talking, not some omnipotent dude explaining every single thing.

For whatever reason, I find it a lot more tolerable in the anime.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
PITOU, TIME TO FACE THE MUSIC

tumblr_mxau1jnJHl1t3v1cuo3_500.gif

I was really hoping Gon's Jajanken would fly out of the ground Pitou was about to land on, haha.

"Why didn't the Hunters call in the Zoldycks?", you say? :p

Considering I was spoiled on how this arc ends...
with a big deus ex I'd have preferred them to stay out of it...

Erigu

Instant huge spoilers in the preview, ugh.
It's not exactly news at this point, after their terrible attempts at coming up with new content and changes, the movie, etc, but the anime guys are fucking idiots. The show is saved by the original material and its production value.

Moaradin

It's not exactly news at this point, after their terrible attempts at coming up with new content and changes, the movie, etc, but the anime guys are fucking idiots. The show is saved by the original material and its production value.

Oh c'mon. You aren't giving the anime guys nearly enough credit.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm sorry, WHAT? How the hell do you consider it a deus ex?

I'm probably wrong (hope so) since I ran far, far away after catching a whiff, but from what I read
doesn't Killua's youngest bro totally wish the whole thing fixed?

I hated the narrator in the manga. I'd rather the visuals do the talking, not some omnipotent dude explaining every single thing.

For whatever reason, I find it a lot more tolerable in the anime.

The problem though is a lot of stuff is so subtle that it would be nigh impossible to put in action or be understood by the audience, I for one love the narrator because I rather have some omnipotent dude explaining shit that the characters stupidly telling each other how their power works for the benefit of the viewers.

This episode was exactly how I hoped it would be. I personally love the narrator because I think the narration itself is quite good; it's not just restating what's happening on screen, it's talking about stuff that couldn't be shown visually and heightens the drama a ton.

shira

Instant huge spoilers in the preview, ugh.
Thread title mod: don't watch next week preview spoilers
Bad x Ass 111

Great backstory for Netero. Really gives weight to how bad ass the old man is.

Spoilers x Spoilers

AVOID THE PREVIEW EVERYONE!

From a martial arts perspective anyone know that doing something 10,000x is a waste of time. Just do it once. That part of the training was pretty dumb to me.

Regarding the heavy use of the narrator, it's... a different style to the usual, yeah, but that doesn't mean is bad. While it can be argued that "show, don't tell" is a more elegant way to do things in a visual medium, narration can be an art of itself, and in the case of this arc, I think there is almost a poetic tone I enjoy in the narrator. Wait a few episodes to see, maybe your opinion will change.

Blades64

Banned
Hunter x Hunter 111

Ugggghhhhhh!!!!!! I should have read this thread before watching the episode. I saw the the previews for the next episode. :(

I loved the pacing for this episode. It literally took the whole episode to explain what happens in a matter of seconds.

DONT WATCH THE PREVIEW!!!

From a martial arts perspective anyone know that doing something 10,000x is a waste of time. Just do it once. That part of the training was pretty dumb to me.

Pretty sure it was stated he already had reached the peak of his power when he went up there so the punches wasn't to get stronger but done as a tribute to the gods.

fertygo

Netero is already at his peak for physical attribute, that training is for spiritual attribute than anything else from what I get.

Although your point kinda not make sense, what wrong with repeat routine?
People doing repeat routine isn't just for their improvement, many that doing it just for discipline themselves.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I said damn.

I'm not sure what it was, it could be the slowed pace up till now, it could be the unexpected reaction of use narration to deliver a large part of the story, it could be the faint idea of what fate holds for meeting of two characters, it could be appearance of unknown amounts of power and the reaction to the powers that be... hell I really don't know why I enjoyed this single episode in a way that I didn't even know I could enjoy anime.

Really good anime is something I devour and it feels like I ate very little and leaves me wanting more. It's like crack.

I had to stop this episode about 4 times to go do something else to recover. With each small helping, I felt like I was being stuffed like a thanksgiving turkey; I was bursting at the seams with all these complex feelings of excitement that made me say "Okay! That's enough for now." I would leave and then come back just to have it happen over and over. It took me over 2 hours to finish this episode one time through because of this and I feel content and able to wait till next week free of the withdrawals I get with crack anime. withdrawals I've gotten from this very series a many times in the past. maybe I'm just in a different place mentally but I can't imagine them being able to do this again. This was a blast.

Nibel

Hunter x Nibel 111

iWYWw2b6ujxVX.gif

iWYWw2b6ujxVX.gif

iWYWw2b6ujxVX.gif

"Oh man, the pacing was slow and didn't even tingle my little otaku-heart - the baka-gezu wasn't transported that well in this episode and made the culture expert inside of me cringe with lots of kawaskis. Nothing happened or was explained in this episode. Are they serious? My high standards laugh about what the anime team is trying to create" - Anime expert

I'm glad that I enjoyed this gem of a episode - Netero is my granddad

TheChits

“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.” - Bruce Lee

Great episode, really loved the focus on Neetero's backstory although his voice as a younger man was a little weird. Can't wait for next week to roll around, I skipped the preview.

Nibel

Here we have someone who is unhappy about the amount of realism in a shounen anime

Regarding the heavy use of the narrator, it's... a different style to the usual, yeah, but that doesn't mean is bad. While it can be argued that "show, don't tell" is a more elegant way to do things in a visual medium, narration can be an art of itself, and in the case of this arc, I think there is almost a poetic tone I enjoy in the narrator. Wait a few episodes to see, maybe your opinion will change.

LOVED IT

They could have had Netero bust out the move and be done with it, but by explaining the creation of the move and what it took to develop it gave the move so much more weight which is needed and appreciated. Especially since this arc likes to build up Pitou as this invincible foe who has an aura that makes seasoned nen users hair turn gray.

Getting to the action is all and good, but the more you can build up a fight to actually mean something, the more you will get out of it.

Top Bottom