• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

You know, I have to ask: does Leorio get any kind of focus in the upcoming arcs (however short they may be)?

I mean, Yorknew is basically Kurapika's arc for the most part, and Gon and Killua have had the focus for a good majority of the time.

kirblar

You know, I have to ask: does Leorio get any kind of focus in the upcoming arcs (however short they may be)?

I mean, Yorknew is basically Kurapika's arc for the most part, and Gon and Killua have had the focus for a good majority of the time.
I'll PM you the answer.

Kyzer

Banned
Yup. Are you though the Zoldyck stuff yet? Immediately after is when the series starts showing its cards.

Awesome!

And no, I thoroughly enjoyed the hunter exams, was just concerned when I saw how many episodes there were if the show would just devolve into filler

Yonafunu

No specifics, but in case people don't want to know anything:
He'll be back.

Einhander

I think I'm going to wait until there are three new episodes out and watch those in one sitting. I can't handle the suspense anymore. ( ._.)

This show is really starting to drag on, why this stupid wolf plot line is even there is beyond me. Seems like a truly unimportant character who's main goal is to pad the plot while the main characters got almost 0 screen time or plot development. Also does this show think we are idiots? Every ten seconds they pause it to explain exactly what's happening but it's totally unnecessary, again just feels like they're dragging things out more than necessary. Also when did Killua turn into such a baby? In the last episode where he takes out the two ant peons he's practically crying because "frienduship!!!" Then gon says let's go and he breaks down with the narrator in his best manly tears voice has to break down how killua has to choke down the question he wished to ask because reasons. All this stuff feels like is more ways to pad the episode length. Just give me a tight narrative, this entire invasion of the mansion could've been wrapped up by now if they weren't so focused on filler.

shira

This show is really starting to drag on, why this stupid wolf plot line is even there is beyond me. Seems like a truly unimportant character who's main goal is to pad the plot while the main characters got almost 0 screen time or plot development. Also does this show think we are idiots? Every ten seconds they pause it to explain exactly what's happening but it's totally unnecessary, again just feels like they're dragging things out more than necessary. Also when did Killua turn into such a baby? In the last episode where he takes out the two ant peons he's practically crying because "frienduship!!!" Then gon says let's go and he breaks down with the narrator in his best manly tears voice has to break down how killua has to choke down the question he wished to ask because reasons. All this stuff feels like is more ways to pad the episode length. Just give me a tight narrative, this entire invasion of the mansion could've been wrapped up by now if they weren't so focused on filler.
tumblr_lp9zcv8gkv1ql2x37o1_400.gif

We haven't even got to the dancing yet. 4-5 more episodes, I swear we get some good
dancing

Why you immediately assume there's no point to it is beyond me.

I guess it's not so much he doesn't have a point as a character, I just think they spend too much time on him. My main issue is with the pacing of the show in general, I know this tends to be an issue with most shouju anime but I wish there wasn't so much filler. I don't need every detail broken down and explained to me, I'm a moderately intelligent person and I can figure things out on my own.

Diablos54

I guess it's not so much he doesn't have a point as a character, I just think they spend too much time on him. My main issue is with the pacing of the show in general, I know this tends to be an issue with most shouju anime but I wish there wasn't so much filler. I don't need every detail broken down and explained to me, I'm a moderately intelligent person and I can figure things out on my own.
There's no filler though... It's all important, especially in an arc like this, although I can understand the pacing complaints (Even if I totally disagree). Still, things are heating up now, it'll all be well worth it!

While I can understand your frustration of the pacing I can guarantee you that not one thing that has taken place is unimportant or is filler, there worth will all be made clear eventually.

Strega

I agree. The amount of narration going on is a little unnecessary. I don't don't need to know every inscrutable detail about every characters reaction to every action. If it's going to come up in a future episode, chances are it's going to be something easily deduced.

Listening to all the character songs for the 2011 anime... Hisoka's is so appropriately dirty I can't tell if I should find it hilarious or embarrassing.

So am I the only one who misses the awesome power metal ED from the spiders arc? When the guitars started playing as the episode started to end it made me grow a manly beard.

The new ED isn't half bad either... but come on

Moaradin

So am I the only one who misses the awesome power metal ED from the spiders arc? When the guitars started playing as the episode started to end it made me grow a manly beard.

That ED was awesome as shit. Loved every time it transitioned from the episode. Made you hyped to see what's next.

Is it dore hodo? Yes it is. I knew it! ... even though "power metal ed from the spiders arc" and "when the guitars started playing as the episodes started to end" absolutely gave it way. I don't care I knew it!

For the short term nostalgia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAPNRqJV3B8

I think my best memory of it was when Gon defeated someone in the arena and Hisoka was waiting in the hallway and was like you have now earned the right to fight me.(end of episode 34)

I like all the Hunter endings so far but this one is special.

Edit: Almost forgot the showing of the spiders in the later part of the credits. The first time I saw it I thought I know Hisoka but who are all these other people. They must be pretty strong.

rexor0717

So far this Chimera Ant arc has been kinda disappointing. Im on ep84 and it just seems super fucking random. Also there have been some DBZ levels of time wasting going on. I hope it picks up, because the show has been great up to this point.

So far this Chimera Ant arc has been kinda disappointing. Im on ep84 and it just seems super fucking random. Also there have been some DBZ levels of time wasting going on. I hope it picks up, because the show has been great up to this point.

It does get better, but it's such a long arc and the first of its kind so a lot of time is spent on exposition, introducing characters and training. It doesn't really get into the main battles until like somewhere between 100 and 110.

Think of it like the Namek saga from DBZ. How much time was spent on them getting to know the world, meeting characters, having hijinks, battling lower-tier baddies before they finally got serious against Frieza?

rexor0717

It does get better, but it's such a long arc and the first of its kind so a lot of time is spent on exposition, introducing characters and training. It doesn't really get into the main battles until like somewhere between 100 and 110.

Think of it like the Namek saga from DBZ. How much time was spent on them getting to know the world, meeting characters, having hijinks, battling lower-tier baddies before they finally got serious against Frieza?

Yeah, I think my biggest problem is with the chimera "ants" themselves. I'm not a fan of the anthropomorphic zoo that's been created. Why do they have clothes, jewelry, and face masks? They all seem to be a bunch of goons that I have a hard time caring about. If the majority of them at least still resembled insects, it wouldn't be a problem, but they went full furry.

shira

Yeah, I think my biggest problem is with the chimera "ants" themselves. I'm not a fan of the anthropomorphic zoo that's been created. Why do they have clothes, jewelry, and face masks? They all seem to be a bunch of goons that I have a hard time caring about. If the majority of them at least still resembled insects, it wouldn't be a problem, but they went full furry.

Neither was I. It's a huuuge shift in the design, but once they start fighting you get a lot better character development as they single out individuals.

Kemonomimi turns me off, but this is fine.

MCD

Some of them are beyond horrible and they keep appearing every damn sec. Just infuriating.

But don't stop. You won't be disappointed.

Honestly for the most part I laughed at the choice to call them ants as there's a penguin and a gangsta lion running around the place. And some of the chimera ants end up becoming really likable. I'd say just ignore the fact they're supposed to be insects and pretend they're a group of aliens/monsters that banded together. Like if Gon and co. were fighting power rangers baddies.

rexor0717

Honestly for the most part I laughed at the choice to call them ants as there's a penguin and a gangsta lion running around the place. And some of the chimera ants end up becoming really likable. I'd say just ignore the fact they're supposed to be insects and pretend they're a group of aliens/monsters that banded together. Like if Gon and co. were fighting power rangers baddies.

Its funny because I've pretty much done exactly this. I was getting really bothered by it, so I figured I'd make up my own explanation to help me just accept it.

Edit: On an unrelated note, there is soooooo much exposition in this show.

I like a good portion of the Chimera Ant designs. I don't think it's perfect of course, but I like alot of them. I do hate most of the designs with excessive thong though, haha. When they fight also, their personality comes out through that. I can see why some people would not like them though. I don't really think of them as "insects" really, just like a merry band of messed up mutants.

I think it appeals to the parts of me that likes Ninja Turtles and all those side animals/people that get mutated and become enemies, like Bebop and Rocksteady, or Newtralizer, Sir Malachi, or Slash from the new Ninja Turtles cartoon.

Looks wise, I really like Colt, Cheetu, Meleoron, Leol, The King and all the royal guards.

Jigolo

Yeah, this thread kind of needs more Gon gifs.

0iMMOpD.gif

Gzaa24p.gif

M6PPyRj.gif

Madhouse is killing it with the animation. 115 episodes in.

Also dat Welfin character design, lol:

ASjuhdn.gif

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
It is what I love/hate about this show. There are so many great characters with their own qualities and stories, but then they are almost completely forgotten about in the next arc.

They practically iced 50% of their named characters at the beginning of the Ant arc.
It's pretty ballsy. I haven't read the manga but the fact that they remember to kill off characters I imagine would mean they still have plans for those that are still alive regardless of how long it takes. LOL... remember Gon's dad, he's still a thing right... I mean the deadbeat is in hiding while his son might die.

Have they said what happen when they run out of material to adapt. filler? or slowing pacing like in chimera ant? seems they could run out of material later this year.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Have they said what happen when they run out of material to adapt. filler? or slowing pacing like in chimera ant? seems they could run out of material later this year.

Show will probably just end. No harm, no foul. Will probably end up around 140-150 eps when all is said and done. That's a good deal more than YYH at least, and with a far higher level of consistency.

bryanee

What is actually wrong with the person who writes and draws the Manga? I understand the manga has been on hiatus for a long time and more than once since it started.

Top Bottom