• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

shira

Wooow Killua is such a boss. Great episode.

I was like yeah - fuck yeah story moving forward, then I was like wtf. . . the conclusion to that fight is just . . . oh man. Tako tactics was cool, but that Kilua part was . . . . . . .

This arc would be over much faster if Kurapika showed up all "Screw the fair badass powers, I have red eyes!" then killed everybody with his god mode because reasons.

As much as I like his character the more I think about it the more I end up disliking the idea of his powers.

Oh man, it was super satisfying to see Kanmuru finally animated. Killua is so great. He'll be amazing when he can use it for sustained amounts of time. As a manga reader, I knew the whole Ikalgo-Brovada thing was going to happen, but I kind of wish they had cut it down a bit, not that I disliked it, Ikalgo is a crafty little octopus, but it's kind of boring when you know all these intense fights are happening. Also, based on the preview, next week's episode should be pretty good as well, IIRC

Waiting for Gifs.

This arc would be over much faster if Kurapika showed up all "Screw the fair badass powers, I have red eyes!" then killed everybody with his god mode because reasons.

As much as I like his character the more I think about it the more I end up disliking the idea of his powers.

We had a discussion in this thread on Kurapika's powers. He wouldn't be that much more helpful than any of the current members of the extermination team. I'd be curious to see if he could pull off using judgement chain against the guards though.

zero_suit

Not really. He isn't as strong as you think..

Mumei

On episode 64 of my re-watch. I love this show so much. Gon and Killua have one of the most convincing friendships in anime, I think. I really love the dynamic.

I like it. Emperor Time does not actually boost his powers, so to speak; it only allows him to use each Nen type with full efficiency. It's certainly an advantageous ability - versatility! - but it doesn't mean that Kurapika is capable of using every Nen type to the utmost of its potential. For instance, Uvo was still a much stronger Enhancer than Kurapika was; he was capable of easily breaking his arm, and Kurapika was only really doing damage once he'd forced him into Zetsu. Specialization allowed Kurapika to reach greater efficiency with his Enhancement (100%, instead of 60%), but it couldn't turn him into Uvo.

faridmon

Also, Kurapika was fuelled by Hate and Revenge which exponentially raised his hunger to actually do some impressive damage. I doubt he will have the same motivation against these lot. Different circumstances and all...

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Stupid question...

Was it ever explained why only a couple of hunters, granted it is Netero, were sent to deal with the ants?

upandaway

Killua's problem is still that he runs out too fast, even if he can recharge aura from pure electricity unlike other people. They worked out the aura tank pretty hard in the Knuckle training and it's still nowhere near enough.

LogicStep

Killua's problem is still that he runs out too fast, even if he can recharge aura from pure electricity unlike other people. They worked out the aura tank pretty hard in the Knuckle training and it's still nowhere near enough.

Yeah, but think about down the line, when he's older (even if we never get to see this) he will be a god.

Ep 119

The hit and jump away thing Killua did was really cool visually.

I've probably said this a million times, but it's really nice to see this arc not only drawn well, but animated well too. I never thought we'd see the day even a few years ago.

Effect

I love that this arc has finally been animated. The fights are as I pictured them and more. The art for this arc was so bad at times they were just lite sketches. Yet I kept reading because of how interesting the fights and the thought process of the characters were during the fights. This episode is a prime example of that. It's why I took to this series so easily back in college when I finally came across the manga. To the point it was one of the few series I started to collect (manga volumes and dvd (kicking myself I didn't keep up with that as I just have the first box set and can't get the rest)) as I read the scans and watched the show via methods.

Just going to enjoy the rest of this arc while last.

I do have a question. How does the York Shin and Greed Island arcs of the new series compare to the first series/ovas? Better? Worse? Just as a good? From what I remember those arcs had no filler at all and looked great.

Edit: Sorry that's Greed Island, not Green Island. Always make that mistake.

tumblr_n1xpr0j1rA1trxjq2o6_500.gif

Killua is just way too incredible for this anime. Which made it feel rather unfair and offensive that they would put such a tiny amount of screentime on him and go to events that dont even matter much in the grand scheme of the arc. Did we really need all that time with scared weak characters instead of more with Killua? No. Most disappointing
how did the writer not make Killua win? IT doesnt make sense as he completely overpowered him and would have fried him t o a crisp if we refer back to how epic Killua was made to be in the past arcs and even in Heaven's Arena. Togashi has clearly forgotten how strong Killua is supposed to be

Oh well the early part of the episode was extremely pleasing and worth rewatch.

LuffyZoro

I do have a question. How does the York Shin and Green Island arcs of the new series compare to the first series/ovas? Better? Worse? Just as a good? From what I remember those arcs had no filler at all and looked great.

I haven't seen the original series. However, the general consensus seems to be that 2011's York Shin is around as good, and that Greed Island is much better.

MilkBeard

Ugh, I suggested HxH to my friend and he said he doesn't like it after watching one episode. Then he told me to watch Fairy Tail.

That's a shame because it gets better as you go. It reaches DBZ levels of awesome fight scenes at times. Shame.

It's funny because I used to like watching Naruto as well, but I stopped because I was all caught up. I started watching it again and the constant fillers and stupid flashbacks ruin what would be an awesome anime. It made me realize that Hunter x Hunter is a really well made anime in that respect, the creators (for the most part) respect your time. The fighting is getting drawn out during this arc but it's still pretty cool in my opinion. It gets nowhere near Naruto levels of annoying.

I do have a question. How does the York Shin and Greed Island arcs of the new series compare to the first series/ovas? Better? Worse? Just as a good? From what I remember those arcs had no filler at all and looked great.
The original's tone is way darker. Some scenes are better, especially when
Gon and Killua tracked Nobunaga and got caught for the first time
. (link). In contrast, the 2011 version was rather chill.

Also I think the original did a better job of showing / not showing
Chrollo killing the assassins

2011's Greed Island is much better. Not even close.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I've only seen the moments before the opening credits for the new episode and have only one question...

Did DTL like it?

MilkBeard

Ep 119

The hit and jump away thing Killua did was really cool visually.

I've probably said this a million times, but it's really nice to see this arc not only drawn well, but animated well too. I never thought we'd see the day even a few years ago.

Was this arc animated poorly in the previous anime? It seems like from what someone said above that the manga is poorly drawn. This anime definitely has good animation, especially during this arc.

Was this arc animated poorly in the previous anime? It seems like from what someone said above that the manga is poorly drawn. This anime definitely has good animation, especially during this arc.

The previous anime did not animate the Chimera Ant arc. It only ended a few years ago in the manga.

Daingurse

Ugh, I suggested HxH to my friend and he said he doesn't like it after watching one episode. Then he told me to watch Fairy Tail.

I'm sorry, but this is why I show people the Chimera Ant arc instead of the beginning. It just escalates, people like it and are willing to go back.

It's criminal how HxH is misjudged, I think it escalates and becomes good, rather quickly frankly. Nobody seems to give it a decent chance though.

The previous anime ended at York Shin, then got an OVA for Greed Island.

MilkBeard

I'm sorry, but this is why I show people the Chimera Ant arc instead of the beginning. It just escalates, people like it and are willing to go back.

It's criminal how HxH is misjudged, I think it escalates and becomes good, rather quickly frankly. Nobody seems to give it a decent chance though.

Personally I think the show is good from the beginning, although I started reading the manga first and I knew that it continues to escalate and I wanted to see what happened after the Hunter exam. This show really does surprise you with every arc. The Hunter Exam is good, and then once Gon and Killua start learning Nen it reaches a whole new level. I also really enjoyed the Phantom Troupe arc, seeing Kurapika's fight was amazing. Then, during this Chimera Ant arc it starts reaching legendary status.

EDIT: Did I mention the 10,000 punches of gratitude flashback? That was one of the coolest things I've seen in an anime, ever. Really awesome.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Togashi has clearly forgotten how strong Killua is supposed to be

Oh DTL... *pats head*

Togashi knows exactly how strong Killua is and exactly how strong Youpi is, and that's why Killua didn't win. This is also the first time Killua's really used Godspeed and obviously it drains his Nen at a rapid pace. On top of that, Youpi said that none of the humans to have fought him so far have even 10% of his raw power - Youpi can take Killua's attacks because they're well below his threshold.

MilkBeard

Oh DTL... *pats head*

Togashi knows exactly how strong Killua is and exactly how strong Youpi is, and that's why Killua didn't win. This is also the first time Killua's really used Godspeed and obviously it drains his Nen at a rapid pace. On top of that, Youpi said that none of the humans to have fought him so far have even 10% of his raw power - Youpi can take Killua's attacks because they're well below his threshold.

Are you manga spoiling us?

Oh, I know, it's just funny how all of that was literally only good for letting off steam, he didn't accomplish anything beyond that.

Also, I feel like they made Kanmaru a bit too Super Saiyan compared to what I had in mind.

How do you mean by too "Super Saiyan"?

Top Bottom