• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Reading this thread without actually watching the anime is interesting. Case in point: IIRC the manga has the exact same problem around this arc

As dan2026 said ]abovein the last page, the manga is 1:1 to the anime in this regard. But I think that a narration works much better in a written story than a animated one. Not that I really mind the narrator here.

The thing I miss from the manga was the clock that indicated when some of the events were happening.

Yonafunu

Yeah, that wasn't introduced until this episode. I'm curious. Guys it's safe to read up to 2/3 of 286.

Damn I chance this every week but I love seeing the differences and the shitty art. I hope it doesn't bite me in the ass one of these weeks. :s

Yeah, you'll notice the content is being switched up in terms of in what order stuff is shown, and looking at the next couple of chapters it'll only get more jumbled. If you really want to read the manga along with the anime, you can ask one of us manga readers to check which chapters are safe. If not, you will get spoiled, probably starting next week.

That said, I'm not 100% sure about this, but looking at the preview for next week, it seems very likely there's switching something up.

Jigolo

Yeah, you'll notice the content is being switched up in terms of in what order stuff is shown, and looking at the next couple of chapters it'll only get more jumbled. If you really want to read the manga along with the anime, you can ask one of us manga readers to check which chapters are safe. If not you will get spoiled, probably starting next week.

Yeah the anime and the manga do go in different order but that doesn't matter much.

Thanks for the warning, btw. I'll probably wait for 3 weeks worth of episodes before reading all those chapters then.

I've already spoiled something major that has nothing to do with this arc from just youtube thumbnails....

Daingurse

Maaaan, that was a great episode, very solid. I am extremely concerned for Morel.

Impressions from my brother:
Needs more Welfin.

Edit: Thread reminds me that I'm behind on One Piece, just gonna let em stack. Behind on Naruto and Bleach too, just going to wait for those series to end.

This was probably my least favorite episode of the arc thus far despite there being a scene or two I really enjoyed. Shaia
la
pouf
and the narrator went on for way too long with their internal soliloquies or descriptions. The short scene with
Knov
, for example, was a lot more powerful because nothing needed to be said.

Also, I didn't notice it earlier, but one of Shaiapouf's themes sounds really Vivaldi-esque. (The more fast-paced and intense one.)

I guess this episode rules out Palm surviving (as a human at least), as well.

Daingurse

Morel has so much of my respect now. My man went into battle at like 33% strength, and even disarmed he's still making plays. I truly fear for his life in the upcoming episodes. Honestly when Youpi rolled up on him, I thought he was done.

In the first 90 episodes this show for me were on par with Dragon Ball Z, or maybe even better. The pacing was just incredible and I was really enjoying the growth of Gon and Killua.

For that reason the last 25+ episodes have really sour the show for me, and I am really considering dropping it. Specially the pacing of the last 10 episodes
109-119
which has been horrendous, and the narrator just keeps on going explaining stuff I realize by just seeing it. I actually really enjoyed
the board game of the king with the blind girl
, but even there they managed to completely ruin the experience by dragging it for to long.
By the second episode it was already obvious the king cared for her
. If you add to that the lame secondary characters
specially Ikalgo
, it just kills it. To make things worst it seems now that Gon and Killua are stronger than
Kite, Knuckle and Shoot
without any true training but a few episodes back they were a few levels below. And in the back of my head I keep wondering were
Hisoka, Leorio and Kurapika
went. At this point I'm just hoping that the fight between
Netero vs. King
will be God-Tier for me to keep watching the show, since this is by far the worst arc of the show.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
What a great episode. The entire sequence that ended with Knuckle's punch was awesome and funny to watch.

Damn at Gon in the end. He's completely... Not Gon.

Also, episodes 111+ onwards are simply amazing. I'll probably never be able to agree with people who aren't enjoying this arc on anything anime-related. The way the narrator details everything in the first minutes of the invasion is incredible. It's there to show how intense everything is and how high the stakes are.

And DanteGhost, you enjoy Dragon Ball Z and yet complain about pacing? C'mon.

What a great episode. The entire sequence that ended with Knuckle's punch was awesome and funny to watch.

Damn at Gon in the end. He's completely... Not Gon.

Also, episodes 111+ onwards are simply amazing. I'll probably never be able to agree with people who aren't enjoying this arc on anything anime-related. The way the narrator details everything in the first minutes of the invasion is half the fun of the arc. It's there to show how intense everything is and how high the stakes are.

And DanteGhost, you enjoy Dragon Ball Z and yet complain about pacing? C'mon.

While Dragon Ball Z had pacing issues at some points, they were never as bad as this arc, and they kept them constant in a good way. I'm just complaining since this show had amazing pacing so is obvious now how bad they are dragging it, specially with 2-3 minutes recaps of the last episode. To narrate a couple of minutes is fine for me but a whole fucking episode? That is just ridiculous.

That's insulting to HxH. Lol.

I suggest dropping it for now and wait until this arc is over. I can see it going on for another couple of months. Just drop it and then catch up.

Dragon Ball is up there with Ruoroni Kenshin as possibly the best action anime of their time though. =/

I'm considering doing that btw, the thing is that I actually watched half this arc in 1 week, is not like I waited a week per episode. I probably would had stop watching awhile ago.

Daingurse

While Dragon Ball Z had pacing issues at some points, they were never as bad as this arc, and they kept them constant in a good way. I'm just complaining since this show had amazing pacing so is obvious now how bad they are dragging it, specially with 2-3 minutes recaps of the last episode. To narrate a couple of minutes is fine for me but a whole fucking episode? That is just ridiculous.

I've learned to just go with the flow man. The show will get to the fights when it feels like it. Me over-anticipating specific fights, was beginning to sour the arc for me, so I stopped jonesing for them. Ever since I re-watched 112 for the first time--after disliking it a bit initially--, I've been appreciating the narrator more, and it makes everything feel fucking epic to me.

Once I accepted that shit will happen, whenever it happens, I've enjoyed the show more.

CrazyDude

No, DBZ is still a lot worse. I don't know what you are smoking.

I've learned to just go with the flow man. The show will get to the fights when it feels like it. Me over-anticipating specific fights, was beginning to sour the arc for me, so I stopped jonesing for them. Ever since I re-watched 112 for the first time--after disliking it a bit initially--, I've been appreciating the narrator more, and it makes everything feel fucking epic to me.

Once I accepted that shit will happen, whenever it happens, I've enjoyed the show more.

At least I'm not the only one that sees the issue. And you are probably right, is just that the pacing was just so amazing before that is hard for me to understand that it might be different from now on.
cries

Pretty much.

As I sort of explained above DBZ never had good pacing though so you knew what to expect from the very beginning of the show. While this show had good pacing until probably episodes 90-100. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in one of the last episodes 18 minutes of show accounted for 3 minutes of story. Insane stuff.

Moaradin

The pacing has been fine this arc. A lot of shit has happened despite time going slower. Great episode this week. Each episode has had less and less of the narrator, but I don't mind it. The episode with Netero making his appearance was like 90% narrated and that episode was fucking amazing.

Daingurse

No, DBZ is still a lot worse. I don't know what you are smoking.

I sure was a patient kid. They had me by the fucking balls daily. Literally first thing I did after school was flip to Toonami. Literally the first thing I did after getting home from work was smoke with my brother and watch the newest HxH. He already had it downloaded.

All I did was show him the Chimera Ant arc, the rest was inevitable.
I think I have an idea on what/who it is. :(

I am super hype that Knov is back though!! I wanna see more of his abilities!

So happy Knov came in for the assist, getting Shoot to evac. He was so shell-shocked by Pouf's En, that I thought he was well and truly done. Was legitimately surprised. Did not catch his hair color though :(

Great episode. Seemed really short. I was glad HE showed up. Also, the cocoon. It threw me off. I think I know who it is though. I think. Otherwise, I am clueless, haha.

And I watched the preview, I shouldn't had, heh. I can't help myself.

Daingurse

And I watched the preview, I shouldn't had, heh. I can't help myself.

Usually don't watch the previews, but I needed a little taste. Just a lil' something extra! It's so hard to resist just reading the manga, but I absolutely love this adaptation.

I can wait, I will not submit to temptation.

neoanarch

The pacing becomes even worse than it was during Fishman Island, and most of the arc isn't interesting at all. Thankfully now that
Dressrosa
is on, things are bound to get a lot better.

But I'm going off-topic here!

Can't wait for the new episode tonight.

Don't want to really veer it more offtopic but
Dressrosa
is arguably even worse than Fishman. The lowest point in OP since the Davy Back arc, probably even worse.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Okay, so shit is somehow getting more and more real.
Knov with the save!!! So glad that Shoot seems to live since I was really concerned after last week. I have absolutely no clue what Gon is about to do now that he is in a room with two royal guards.
Holy shit I love this show.

Gon may have the biggest butts in this series at the moment as he had no ducks to give.

Soriku

OK this was a pretty good episode. I think I enjoyed it more than the past few ones.

-Pouf made it seem like Morel was an idiot, but the narrator ended up saving face for him lol.

-When Youpi came in after Pouf left, I was like "oh shit". Cool teamup with Knuckle there.

-
Knov
coming in to
help Shoot
. Cool.

-RIP
______Palm______
. Looks like
they turned her into an ant.

-Welfin is so lame. Dude's just been following people around this whole arc and hasn't done anything. I hope he gets automatically curbstomped like Cheetu, though I'm expecting there to be more to him with all this set up.

-
Pouf coming in at the end
in the room with Pitou and Gon. Thought that part was cool, though he can't do anything.

I hope the fight with the King starts soon.

upandaway

All that Morel. That guy's so good. He's doing things up to the last inch of his power. He definitely misplayed by not looking carefully into the husk before removing the jail, but Knuckle would've probably been a goner by then, so it worked out.
Poor Pitou's lifespan is probably shrinking by half for every second in there, and then Pouf comes in on top of that. Can't catch a break!

Still crazy how far we are into the arc and new things keep coming up (starting with Welfin, and now the Nen Remover ant). It never freaking stops.

wildfire

Banned
I didn't like this episode as much as the others but I'm highly anticipating the next one. Pouf already wants the girl to be dead and wants to find the king so it will be interesting to see what his decision is. Meanwhile all the build up about that wolf ant seems to be coming to a head. Both of these events better be tackled simultaneously. Lastly we see that guy who was scared shitless by Pitou and lost his nerve to fight regained it. But if he dies their ability to use portals becomes a lot more limited.

In the first 90 episodes this show for me were on par with Dragon Ball Z, or maybe even better. The pacing was just incredible and I was really enjoying the growth of Gon and Killua.

For that reason the last 25+ episodes have really sour the show for me, and I am really considering dropping it. Specially the pacing of the last 10 episodes
109-119
which has been horrendous, and the narrator just keeps on going explaining stuff I realize by just seeing it. I actually really enjoyed
the board game of the king with the blind girl
, but even there they managed to completely ruin the experience by dragging it for to long.
By the second episode it was already obvious the king cared for her
. If you add to that the lame secondary characters
specially Ikalgo
, it just kills it. To make things worst it seems now that Gon and Killua are stronger than
Kite, Knuckle and Shoot
without any true training but a few episodes back they were a few levels below. And in the back of my head I keep wondering were
Hisoka, Leorio and Kurapika
went. At this point I'm just hoping that the fight between
Netero vs. King
will be God-Tier for me to keep watching the show, since this is by far the worst arc of the show.

The pacing is worse in DBZ. In DBZ when they wanted to stretch out episodes they filled up time with dramatic pauses which makes the show unwatchable on reruns. This show on the other hand has every moment dedicated to explaining internal states of the characters that reveals more of their personality and strategies and why they ended up doing certain things that would've looked bizarre for some people without a proper explanation.

As result while this show has pacing problems it is going to be watchable on reruns because it is more cerebral even with the spoonfeeding of various details.

As for Gon and Killua seemingly being stronger you have to remember what this show tried to spoonfeed you during season 1 with the spider gang. It was specifically stated nen users in high stress can reach levels of power that they normally couldn't which was clearly the case with Gon (Kite) and Killua (Gon's verbal smackdown).

During that fight with Killua and Youppi we saw the limits of that power peak for Killua atleast. Once he cooled off after blowing off some steam he lost focused on has advanced lightning powers and ran away from fighting further.

Mrcapcom

Yooooo give us some pics. I'd be surprised if you can get a hold of a pipe that big

Well I'm going to do the pipe before everyone knew it was pipe:
Morel_Netero_and_Knov_arrive.png

Easier to do I can just get some pipe and something like a sphere and wrap it up really nice :) The only thing is finding a white wig.

Mumei

The pacing is worse in DBZ. In DBZ when they wanted to stretch out episodes they filled up time with dramatic pauses which makes the show unwatchable on reruns. This show on the other hand has every moment dedicated to explaining internal states of the characters that reveals more of their personality and strategies and why they ended up doing certain things that would've looked bizarre for some people without a proper explanation.

Yep. For perspective: Dragon Ball Z's Namek & Frieza Sagas lasted over 60 episodes. In Dragon Ball Z Kai, which cut out the extraneous filler, these story arcs lasted about 30 episodes. The amount of padding in DBZ was absurd.

HxH has been a bit slow in recent episodes, and has suffered from telling more than it shows. It is particularly annoying while it interrupts all action to pan across frozen states while the narrator explains everything - but it isn't half as bad as DBZ ever was.

Dragon Ball is up there with Ruoroni Kenshin as possibly the best action anime of their time though. =/

I'm considering doing that btw, the thing is that I actually watched half this arc in 1 week, is not like I waited a week per episode. I probably would had stop watching awhile ago.

Dragon Ball, maybe, but not Dragon Ball Z. That shit was unbearable for reasons stated above.

They could have adapted these last few episodes and we could have been near the end of the arc, but you would lose a lot of characterization. Each character in this arc has their own goals and issues, even down to Bizeff who just wants to survive this ordeal. It's a slow burn that will begin to go faster once we near the end. And trust me, a lot will happen.

Daingurse

At Least DBZ still holds up pretty well in the manga. Much better pacing than the original anime. Not sure how many volumes Namek is, but atleast I can read it nice and quick. No, "Next time on Dragonball Z!!!"

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
LOL at DBZ comparisons...

20 eps or staring and fireballs

At least there is strategy and different storylines going on at the same time in H x H.

Top Bottom