• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS AUS/NZ Launch |OT| Featuring Thieving European Importers

Tracking update: My New Nintendo 3DS XL is in Southampton!

Does anyone know if DHL Express delivers on Saturdays? Because if so, I will get it tomorrow. If not, it'll be Monday.

Have you been invoiced for customs yet? My non-XL is at the sorting office at Heathrow and I haven't received anything about customs fees so far.

Rich!

Have you been invoiced for customs yet? My non-XL is at the sorting office at Heathrow and I haven't received anything about customs fees so far.

Yes, I paid customs fees yesterday using DHL's epay site before it arrived in the UK.

As a result, my 3DS passed customs in six minutes. lol. It left heathrow shortly after that, and now its in southampton.

To see your customs charges and pay them, go to https://epayments.dhl.co.uk/ and enter in your waybill reference. DHL calculate and process customs fees upon dispatch from abroad, so you can pay them immediately - like what I did.

if you're lucky, you may have somehow avoided them!

Just tried playing Alpha Sapphire on the new 3DS - there is still a frame rate slowdown in 3D, I'm afraid.

Edit: Though actually, it's not as bad as I remember X/Y being.

No frame rate improvements, personally played it.

Aw, too bad. Was hoping for some improvements now that there technically is more power available. Maybe in a future update / Pokemon Z :(

The only other games that take advantage of the improved specs are Monster Hunter and Smash (for Miiverse)? Or did I miss something (except Xenoblade as that one is exclusive)?

Rich!

The only other games that take advantage of the improved specs are Monster Hunter and Smash (for Miiverse)? Or did I miss something (except Xenoblade as that one is exclusive)?

Aonuma confirmed that Majora's Mask 3D will have N3DS exclusive features, but cannot disclose them yet - and likely won't be able to until the N3DS is formally announced for the western regions.

I'm guessing it will have c-stick camera control, extra item slots for the new shoulder buttons and 60fps framerate. It's likely to launch alongside the N3DS in EU/NA, so it's probably going to have exclusive features as a selling point.

Occam

So new XL is glossy EVERYWHERE? Not just on the bottom/cover?
And the regular new 3DS isn't?

This stuff should really be mentioned in the OP.

Rich!

So new XL is glossy EVERYWHERE? Not just on the bottom/cover?
And the regular new 3DS isn't?

This stuff should really be mentioned in the OP.

no it shouldn't, because it's not true. It's glossy on the outside like a DS Lite and a matte finish inside, like the OG XL. It's not glossy everywhere. Proof:

iNP4Ztp.jpg

Also, it's shown clearly in promotional images and in this thread that the outside is glossy.

Yes, I paid customs fees yesterday using DHL's epay site before it arrived in the UK.

As a result, my 3DS passed customs in six minutes. lol. It left heathrow shortly after that, and now its in southampton.

To see your customs charges and pay them, go to https://epayments.dhl.co.uk/ and enter in your waybill reference. DHL calculate and process customs fees upon dispatch from abroad, so you can pay them immediately - like what I did.

if you're lucky, you may have somehow avoided them!

Thanks - mine was £32.78. Not too bad. It's already cleared customs.
I still have an estimated delivery date of the 25th though.

Occam

no it shouldn't, because it's not true. It's glossy on the outside like a DS Lite and a matte finish inside, like the OG XL. It's not glossy everywhere. Proof:

Also, it's shown clearly in promotional images and in this thread that the outside is glossy.

Thank goodness! That would have been a terrible design choice.

Rich!

Thanks - mine was £32.78. Not too bad. It's already cleared customs.
I still have an estimated delivery date of the 25th though.

yeah, mine was £34. Not bad at all imo, considering the price of the XL on mightyape was the equivalent of £130 to begin with! And yeah, mine still states the 25th as an estimated delivery date - but I see no reason whatsoever why it can't be delivered on Monday (or tomorrow, if they do offer saturday delivery on this!)

Bobety

D:

I think I've done something retarded with my transfer. Shit.

I was just trying to transfer from my old 3ds to the new one, thought it would all be straightforward but must've hit hte wrong option somewhere along the way because it finished transferring after about 5 minutes and said just put the source sd card in the target system. Then removed the faceplate and it's micro and my old one is a default fat one. I had no idea they were going to be different. I can't find a fat SD slot anywhere on the new 3DS.

Can anyone help me out here or am I completely screwed? Is it possible to transfer the old SD data onto the new micro card and insert that? I also have to bring my old one in to EB tomorrow as I've traded it in (they allowed me to take it home just for the transfer), so I really need advice asap please!

BowieZ

Banned
Got the 3DS with Super Mushroom faceplates.

Beautiful system, stable 3D is pretty good but a bit flickery when constantly trying to move it around (it's more suited to just allow you to look at it from an off centre angle like if you're lying in bed in a certain way etc), and everything else is super snappy and sleek.

Only downsides are the power button is super awkward to press when trying to shut down, stylus is a bit awkward, and SD card slot a hassle but an infrequent one I suppose.

Rich!

D:

I was just trying to transfer from my old 3ds to the new one, thought it would all be straightforward but must've hit hte wrong option somewhere along the way because it finished transferring after about 5 minutes and said just put the source sd card in the target system. Then removed the faceplate and it's micro and my old one is a default fat one. I had no idea they were going to be different. I can't find a fat SD slot anywhere on the new 3DS

haha man it's fine. just insert/plug in the SD card into your computer, copy the entire contents onto your desktop. get a micro SD card and copy all of it back on to that. Plug that into the N3DS (it's under the bottom faceplate) and you're sorted. don't worry.

you actually chose the sensible option that doesn't take an entire day to complete.

Impotaku

D:

I was just trying to transfer from my old 3ds to the new one, thought it would all be straightforward but must've hit hte wrong option somewhere along the way because it finished transferring after about 5 minutes and said just put the source sd card in the target system. Then removed the faceplate and it's micro and my old one is a default fat one. I had no idea they were going to be different. I can't find a fat SD slot anywhere on the new 3DS.

Can anyone help me out here or am I completely screwed? Is it possible to transfer the old SD data onto the new micro card and insert that? I also have to bring my old one in to EB tomorrow as I've traded it in (they allowed me to take it home just for the transfer), so I really need advice asap please!

Don't panic, yes if you have access to a pc you can copy all the data from your old SD card to the micro sd card and then just put that in, as long as your big SD card isn't a higher capacity than the 4gb micro SD that comes with the N3DS you should be fine.

(Edit) Too slow, as mentioned above my post.

Bobety

haha man it's fine. just insert/plug in the SD card into your computer, copy the entire contents onto your desktop. get a micro SD card and copy all of it back on to that. Plug that into the N3DS (it's under the bottom faceplate) and you're sorted. don't worry.

you actually chose the sensible option that doesn't take an entire day to complete.

Ahh oh thank god. I don't have an sd card reader but I guess now I'll have to go buy one just for this in the morning. As long as I haven't botched it permanently, that's a huge relief! Thanks mate.

Rich!

Ahh oh thank god. I don't have an sd card reader but I guess now I'll have to go buy one just for this in the morning. As long as I haven't botched it permanently, that's a huge relief! Thanks mate.

yeah its not an issue.

you can even avoid all that and just go onto the eshop and just redownload your titles. the only issue with that is that you'll lose your saves. copying from one SD to another keeps everything exactly as it was before, saves intact.

I'm guessing the system tells you the full transfer won't work if the target card is too small (GB), right?

according to the instruction manual, that is correct.

Chopper

Putting your pocketable handheld, designed to be used on the go, in your pocket causes the screen to permanently scratch. How is that not a problem or nothing?

Cool. I've had 2 original models and an XL and ALL of them have had the scratching issue.
The fact it has not been a problem for you personally does not mean it is not a problem.

The bumpers on this new unit look the same as the old XL which means it will begin to scratch in time.
This gradually occurs so it's no surprise hardly anybody has had it happen yet, it's too early. It will happen eventually.
I agree. I'll be furious if this becomes an issue again.

Spent the night retrying all my games on it, and I gotta say it's like night and day! I think if they released with this good a 3d effect initially, there would have been much quicker sales and less 3ds/handhelds are doomed talk for sure.

Most impressive was being able to play Super Hang On with moving cabinet, gyro controls and in full 3d that never once lost it! Bring on After Burner 2, god I couldn't imagine playing it on the old model now. Dead or Alive Dimensions also looks stunning, and I could actually see properly on the SSB Pikmin stage!

Rich!

I agree. I'll be furious if this becomes an issue again.

I'm taking no chances this time:

three sets - just in case I fuck it up lol

either way, people who say Nintendo fixed the issue with the XL are seriously wrong. I treated my OG 3DS XL with absolute care and attention, and never put it in a bag or in my pocket (not that it would fit in my pocket anyway). I also made sure to always handle it from the sides, and not push the halves together. guess what? after a year or so, the scratches began to show - not deep lines like on the og model, but a row of dots in a line. Absolutely terrible.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
On the flipside though I toss my old XL into my rather tight fitting bag all the time and never had the scratches. Guess it depends on each build?

The line of circles sound more like dust marks, though I could be wrong.

BTW the speakers really make the top part shake.

Chopper

I'm taking no chances this time:

three sets - just in case I fuck it up lol

either way, people who say Nintendo fixed the issue with the XL are seriously wrong. I treated my OG 3DS XL with absolute care and attention, and never put it in a bag or in my pocket (not that it would fit in my pocket anyway). I also made sure to always handle it from the sides, and not push the halves together. guess what? after a year or so, the scratches began to show - not deep lines like on the og model, but a row of dots in a line. Absolutely terrible.
Ugh. I hate screen protectors. But yeah, I'm in the same boat. Both of my 3DSs, OG and XL, have had screen scratching issues and, like you, I've always taken great care of them. It's a fucking outrageous oversight if it's still possible on the new models.

Rich!

The line of circles sound more like dust marks, though I could be wrong.

definitely not. They were in a row, perfectly aligned with the edges of the bottom screen's bezel. I actually phoned up Nintendo UK about it, and they confirmed it was the screen scratching issue and set up a return for repair for me. That alone proves the screen scratching issue is still present on the XL, and I don't see anything that would make the New Nintendo 3DS any different.

however, I was unable to find my receipt/warranty and instead just bought a replacement screen lens for £3 from ebay and did the repair myself.

definitely not. They were in a row, perfectly aligned with the edges of the bottom screen's bezel. I actually phoned up Nintendo UK about it, and they confirmed it was the screen scratching issue and set up a return for repair for me. That alone proves the screen scratching issue is still present on the XL, and I don't see anything that would make the New Nintendo 3DS any different.

however, I was unable to find my receipt/warranty and instead just bought a replacement screen lens for £3 from ebay and did the repair myself.

I have the exact same thing on mine. Definitely caused by the bottom screen.

Was the replacement you bought something like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NINTENDO-...G_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item58b8b6c303

Might do the replacement myself before selling.

javac

however, I was unable to find my receipt/warranty, and instead just bought a replacement screen lens for £3 from ebay and did the repair myself.

When I got my 3DS at launch and had the screen scratching issue not too long later, I ended up emailing Nintendo and they ended up repairing it for me for free. All I sent them was the 3DS and a note explaining things and a print of a bank transaction of when I paid for the 3DS since I couldn't find the receipt. Was a really leisurely experience if I do say so myself :p

Yrael

I haven't found anywhere that sells screen protectors for the new 3DS yet - EB Games and JB Hi Fi both said that they should be getting some stock in the next week or so.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Aw man, hope you have better luck with the new 3ds then.

Rich!

I have the exact same thing on mine. Definitely caused by the bottom screen.

Was the replacement you bought something like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NINTENDO-...G_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item58b8b6c303

Might do the replacement myself before selling.

Yep. That exact same one. Was really easy to do, and looked great.

The issue is not the bezel on the lower screen. The real issue, as you will discover when removing it, is that the screen lens that Nintendo use is absolute shit. It's the thinnest, cheapest crap ever. Which is a damn shame.

If it was thicker grade plastic or hardened glass then the screen scratching would not occur.

Ban Puncher

I've never had a screen scratching issue since the launch day OG 3DS. My 3DS XL remained pristine too.

My screens go bareback.

ZeroX03

Banned
My launch 3DS got dust on the screens when closed. I just wiped it off each time I played, screen looked perfect.

No issues with XL and N3DS. No screen protector.

TheChaos0

Speaking of screen protectors. I haven't bought any yet, what are you guys using? (preferably something I can import to the UK!) Play-asia has some but not the Hori ones I usually use...don't know how well they compare.

I probably don't need it, since I usually use a hardcase to carry my 3DS around. Actually, I do need a new case as well. :) I take it normal N3DS won't fit into regular 3DS case?

XaosWolf

My import White one is shipping on Monday! Cannot wait to put on the Smash cover and then have to go and have a lie down. =D

Also, I have had zero issues with damaged screens on any of the clamshell designed systems. (Plus I've never been able to put a screen protector on without issues)
My Vita got scratched from the one and only time I didn't have its case with me.

Rich!

Speaking of screen protectors. I haven't bought any yet, what are you guys using? (preferably something I can import to the UK!) Play-asia has some but not the Hori ones I usually use...don't know how well they compare.

If you are getting an XL, the screen sizes are the same as the old XL so you can just buy some for that.

Yep. That exact same one. Was really easy to do, and looked great.

The issue is not the bezel on the lower screen. The real issue, as you will discover when removing it, is that the screen lens that Nintendo use is absolute shit. It's the thinnest, cheapest crap ever. Which is a damn shame.

If it was thicker grade plastic or hardened glass then the screen scratching would not occur.

What tools do you need?
Was there a guide you followed for it?
I want to sell my XL before getting this new unit but my scratching is pretty bad!

Rich!

What tools do you need?
Was there a guide you followed for it?
I want to sell my XL before getting this new unit but my scratching is pretty bad!

from an old thread:

What!? You can just lift it off, essentially? I have these fantastic bezel marks so a new screen cover would be nice.

yep. it's literally as easy as that. no dissasembly required. you just need:

one of these:

one of these, to get the old lens off:

and one of these, to get rid of any dust:

total cost: fuck all.

Bear in mind that some of the replacement lenses come with no adhesive. In this case, use a TINY amount of superglue around the edges, or even just in the corners. Like, a tiny amount. It'll do fine.

kubus

I probably don't need it, since I usually use a hardcase to carry my 3DS around. Actually, I do need a new case as well. :) I take it normal N3DS won't fit into regular 3DS case?
Get the Hori one from Nippon Yasan. They're super cheap and absolutely fantastic, as expected of Hori. I currently use them on my New 3DS and I hardly see them :).

I suggest getting two packs in case something goes wrong. I didn't know about the bathroom trick when I applied the bottom filter, so some dust got in there and now I'll have to order a new pack :p. The shipping costs are more expensive than the screen protector itself lol.

As for your second question, the New 3DS is slightly bigger than the OG 3DS so it may not fit in a case designed for the old 3DS. I use the new Hori (blue) hard case for my New 3DS and I love it. It's lightweight (only 85 gram), looks nice, durable and even has three pouches to hold some cartridges. I'll see if I can take a picture.

Edit:

At the moment I can only find the black version on Nippon-Yasan's site, but maybe Play-Asia has the blue one in stock if you prefer that color.

Hasney

What size MicroSD does this support? I never want to open that flap again if I can help it, so if I can get a 128GB, I'll take the plunge now, but 64GB should do.

Typing that out makes me hate the Vita memory cards all over again.

kubus

Btw, if there was still any doubt whether the New 3DS still has the self scratching issue or not:

I really don't see how it could still cause scratches on the top screen unless you apply pressure on the system. If your 3DS doesn't have "the gap" like in this image, maybe you got a faulty one?

TheChaos0

Get the Hori one from Nippon Yasan. They're super cheap and absolutely fantastic, as expected of Hori. I currently use them on my New 3DS and I hardly see them :).

I suggest getting two packs in case something goes wrong. I didn't know about the bathroom trick when I applied the bottom filter, so some dust got in there and now I'll have to order a new pack :p. The shipping costs are more expensive than the screen protector itself lol.

As for your second question, the New 3DS is slightly bigger than the OG 3DS so it may not fit in a case designed for the old 3DS. I use the new Hori (blue) hard case for my New 3DS and I love it. It's lightweight (only 85 gram), looks nice, durable and even has three pouches to hold some cartridges. I'll see if I can take a picture.

Edit:

At the moment I can only find the black version on Nippon-Yasan's site, but maybe Play-Asia has the blue one in stock if you prefer that color.

Ah, Nippon-yasan, I jinda forgot about them. Thanks! I think black case would do just fine.

Edit: Touhou is strong with Nippon-yasan! ;)

ZeroX03

Banned
Btw, if there was still any doubt whether the New 3DS still has the self scratching issue or not:

I really don't see how it could still cause scratches on the top screen unless you apply pressure on the system. If your 3DS doesn't have "the gap" like in this image, maybe you got a faulty one?

Yeah mine has a visible gap in between. The rubber bumpers do their job.

Semajer

Could someone do me a favour and take a picture of the SD card that comes with it, please? I assume it's the same size for both the N3DS and the XL.

Mistle

For my new XL I put on some screen protectors from DAISO. $2.80 and they applied perfectly, wouldn't even know they're on.

Normally I don't put screen protectors on handhelds, but I just wanted to be safe with this device. Looks great and now I don't have to worry.

Could someone do me a favour and take a picture of the SD card that comes with it, please? I assume it's the same size for both the N3DS and the XL.

yfn7Kqt.jpg

That is the one from my N3DS XL, I assume its just the same as the other N3DS as well.

On that note, I turned the Auto-Brightness setting off straight away - I was like why the heck does my screen keep changing like that its really annoying! Then I found the setting, thank goodness you can turn it off!

Top Bottom