• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

CLEEK

Black. Always black.

wbuwUFF.jpg

Pachimari

I can't decide what game to get. If I should go for the cheaper Phoenix Wright trilogy, Pokemon Omega Ruby/Y or Fire Emblem before it'll be too hard to get.

I already have Monster Hunter 4.

Edzi

I can't decide what game to get. If I should go for the cheaper Phoenix Wright trilogy, Pokemon Omega Ruby/Y or Fire Emblem before it'll be too hard to get.

I already have Monster Hunter 4.

Phoenix Wright won't be going anywhere so you could probably safely leave that for last. I don't think Fire Emblem is rare yet, but a part of me feels like it's gonna go pretty quick since the N3DS has brought in a lot of new 3DS owners (myself included) who are going to pick it up since it's one of the 3DS's biggest titles.

Pachimari

Yeah. I'm also thinking of rebuying Ocarina of Time 3D before it's too late. I'll wait with Phoenix Wright. I'll probably go for Fire Emblem as I'm not in the mood for Zelda at the moment anyway.

Ryhian

After reading about the delays on the hori I'm glad i was able to order the Japanese LL version from an amazon seller on release day and get it a couple of days later. I would be so mad if it kept getting delayed and I had nothing to protect it. I feel for everyone in this boat.

Okay, so I've formatted my new 32GB Micro SD card I bought to FAT32. Installed it into my New 3DS XL, and did the initial set up of the new system(calibrating the 3D, putting in date and time, etc.) so that's where I am at. It says I have something like 243,290 blocks on my Micro SD card does that sound right?

NOW WHERE I REALLY NEED HELP: I have all my stuff on my old 3DS XL, how do I safely transfer it to the New 3DS XL? Can I make a copy of the contents of my old SD card in my old 3DS XL on the PC just to be safe? How do I do that? Do I just put the card in the SD card reader, connect to PC and copy the Nintendo 3DS folder? Once I am done with that, what is the best way to transfer the contents of the old 3DS XL into the New 3DS XL?

Sorry to be a bother, I just want to be safe. Have a lot of digital games including a complete Pokedex in Pokemon XY/ORAS.

EnemaEms

Banned
So I am real close to importing a regular N3DS from Europe to the US. What are my options for being able to use the e-shop with an American Credit Card?

Lunar FC

My shipping information on my N3DS coming from Amazon France literally says something different every time. Making me a little nervous, damn europeans!

Koppai

I got the same message..did an online chat with Amazon and he bumped up my shipping to two day shipping..Im thinking that since best buy has it released on the 8th that is when it will ship..amazon must have made a mistake regarding the date..at least Im hoping that is what happened..I ordered mine on Feb 19th

Aw shit would be worth it if I had it in store that way I don't have to pay for shipping. I do work at Best Buy so I do get a small discount on it.

Amazon sent an email saying it would arrive on the 11th.

UPS lost my MMn3DSXL which was sent back from repairs. This is surreal. on phone now.

Had it marked as shipped two hours ago. Nothing here. UPS can't even find the driver.

I waited all day in anticipation and now we are looking for a driver of a truck that said it was here two hrs ago

I am wondering the dude marked it knowing he was late and did not want to get in trouble

This is more than likely what happened but be persistent about it.

Nightz

So the N3DS that I got from Best Buy online has a white line going across the top screen. Is it best to go through BB or Nintendo for a replacement?

NeOak

Okay, so I've formatted my new 32GB Micro SD card I bought to FAT32. Installed it into my New 3DS XL, and did the initial set up of the new system(calibrating the 3D, putting in date and time, etc.) so that's where I am at. It says I have something like 243,290 blocks on my Micro SD card does that sound right?

NOW WHERE I REALLY NEED HELP: I have all my stuff on my old 3DS XL, how do I safely transfer it to the New 3DS XL? Can I make a copy of the contents of my old SD card in my old 3DS XL on the PC just to be safe? How do I do that? Do I just put the card in the SD card reader, connect to PC and copy the Nintendo 3DS folder? Once I am done with that, what is the best way to transfer the contents of the old 3DS XL into the New 3DS XL?

Sorry to be a bother, I just want to be safe. Have a lot of digital games including a complete Pokedex in Pokemon XY/ORAS.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo...forming-a-new-nintendo-3ds-xl-system-transfer

Aw shit would be worth it if I had it in store that way I don't have to pay for shipping. I do work at Best Buy so I do get a small discount on it.

Amazon sent an email saying it would arrive on the 11th.

This is more than likely what happened but be persistent about it.

Yeah the guy from amazon chat said he had no idea when it would actually be shipped out so I hope that March 11th delivery date is accurate, or that we get it before..I thought that pre ordering something guarantees that we get one, guess that is not the case..best buy says march 8th is the release date not sure that is even true

Koppai

So the N3DS that I got from Best Buy online has a white line going across the top screen. Is it best to go through BB or Nintendo for a replacement?

I would say Best Buy. That way you can get it replaced instantly assuming they have anymore in stock. I took my Pokemon 3DS back to GameStop when it had a defect on the screen and they exchanged it without any issues. Let them deal with the wait.

dedhead54

Best Buy. I contacted Nintendo today to get my screens replaced (bottom came with wrinkles in it, top has 2 dead pixels) and the process is going to take 1.5-2.5 weeks, so they say. I doubt you would want to wait that long.

dcx4610

Does anyone know if region free DS/3DS games work on the New 3DS XL?

I never got to play the Last Window (sequel to Hotel Dusk) and was looking at importing the UK copy which is region free. Did the New 3DS region-lock things or am I safe?

I never got to play the Last Window (sequel to Hotel Dusk) and was looking at importing the UK copy which is region free. Did the New 3DS region-lock things or am I safe?

DS games should be fine. Wish I could buy DS games on the eshop. Has Nintendo given any reason why I can't? It seems like such a strange omission. I'd spend hundreds of dollars!

Koppai

Your safe. Only games that are region locked are DSi enhanced games.

Producer

DS games are region free. So you'll be able to play DS games from any region on your 3DS

I think DSi exclusive games are region locked, but im not sure.

I didn't mean to imply "in the box", but rather, 3rd parties should launch accessories alongside the systems at launch, and not 1-3 months after the system has already launched.

Oh right!

I just ordered a Hori screen protector from Play-Asia, prices were alright. I don't trust anyone but Hori for screen protectors.

I just discovered that if you hold select or start when starting a Gameboy VC game (didn't seem to work with a NES title), you get to see the game at 1:1 resolution. I wish they made this an optional setting or made it an in-game option on the lower screen instead, because it is really cool. It always bothered me how bad the Gameboy games looked when stretched.

It even uses a 3d effect on the Gameboy hardware that it displays the gameplay area in, making it similar to the real dot matrix screen.

Koppai

Nintendo has one of the best ideas with Virtual Console but they sure have some terrible freaking support for it. DS games could be on 3DS eShop, etc.

It's amazing how poor they execute the service really...it came about on the Wii and they still haven't managed to fix it by the Wii U like 8 years later <<;

Nintendo has one of the best ideas with Virtual Console but they sure have some terrible freaking support for it. DS games could be on 3DS eShop, etc.

It's amazing how poor they execute the service really...it came about on the Wii and they still haven't managed to fix it by the Wii U like 8 years later <<;

The service has incredible potential.
Account system, the addition of SNES/N64/GBA games, DS titles...

I am most curious if I will have to repurchase all of the VC games I have when the 3DS successor releases.. I'm spending a lot of money on these, and I'd hate it if they just wiped the slate clean because there is no account system. I don't expect 3DS titles to be backwards compatible, but VC titles should be seen as its own entity and it should receive universal, cross-platform support similar to how Sony handles PS1 titles.

The service has incredible potential.
Account system, the addition of SNES/N64/GBA games, DS titles...

I am most curious if I will have to repurchase all of the VC games I have when the 3DS successor releases.. I'm spending a lot of money on these, and I'd hate it if they just wiped the slate clean because there is no account system.
There is an account system, the NNID and Nintendo has already said that NNID's will (obviously) move forward onto future systems.

_woLf

I finally got my new 3ds today. opened it super carefully just in case, opened it to see the screen...

SUPER loud creaking from the left hinge whenever I open it. God dammit...all my excitement for nothing. And I'm pretty sure that is something I can't return it to Best Buy for so I have to return it as if I never opened it or something. I don't know what to do. :(

No best buys around here have them in stock so I can't just go exchange it..I'd have to order another one online. :/

edit: it's this exact same sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_UkDNx8zjI

I finally got my new 3ds today. opened it super carefully just in case, opened it to see the screen...

SUPER loud creaking from the left hinge whenever I open it. God dammit...all my excitement for nothing. And I'm pretty sure that is something I can't return it to Best Buy for so I have to return it as if I never opened it or something. I don't know what to do. :(

No best buys around here have them in stock so I can't just go exchange it..I'd have to order another one online. :/

try support.nintendo.com ?

Link83

Does your hinge wobble at all? Personally I would prefer a creaking hinge to one that wobbles.

All I'm saying is keep in mind that a replacement could have more issues than just a creaky hinge (eg. dead pixels, yellow tinted screen etc) I know from experience that build quality can vary a lot.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member

Mine does that and it doesn't bother me at all. It beats a screen that wobbles, even though that isn't a big deal either.

_woLf

Mine does that and it doesn't bother me at all. It beats a screen that wobbles, even though that isn't a big deal either.

It's a really obnoxious sound to me, it makes me feel like something is broken every time I open it...definitely not something that I want my new hardware to do.

NoRéN

No hori clear case from Amazon yet. Any other place to order one? In the meantime I asked my spouse to make me something to keep my majora's mask 3DS in the meantime and she crochet me a pouch. Really surprised by it. Should work well to keep it nice and protected.

//ARCANUM

Just got myself a red New 3DS XL tonight. This thing is fantastic. I am blown away by how good the 3D is. I have it on full blast and don't want to turn it down.

I have the little creaking sound when I open the lid, but I have to really really listen for it, otherwise it is flawless so I'm not gonna lose sleep over it (it's cheap plastics after all).

Just placed an order for the Hori TPU case on amazon, so I'm sure I'll get that by 2016 lol.

ctfg23

What is the best method when it comes to cleaning the screens? I should be receiving my screen protectors on Friday and I want to make sure the screens are perfectly clean before I put them on.

lutheran

Just got myself a red New 3DS XL tonight. This thing is fantastic. I am blown away by how good the 3D is. I have it on full blast and don't want to turn it down.

I have the little creaking sound when I open the lid, but I have to really really listen for it, otherwise it is flawless so I'm not gonna lose sleep over it (it's cheap plastics after all).

Just placed an order for the Hori TPU case on amazon, so I'm sure I'll get that by 2016 lol.

Agreed about the quality of the 3D on the new 3DS. I used to barely turn it on just a notch above not having it on with the old 3DS. Now I too crank that slider right to the top.

big_z

What is the best method when it comes to cleaning the screens? I should be receiving my screen protectors on Friday and I want to make sure the screens are perfectly clean before I put them on.

lint free micro fiber cloth and compressed air. apply the protectors in a clean and steamed bathroom. spray the compressed air across the screen in quick bursts. do not spray the ain directly on the screen or in for extended periods, it can cause discoloration to plastics.

UPS lost my MMn3DSXL which was sent back from repairs. This is surreal. on phone now.

Had it marked as shipped two hours ago. Nothing here. UPS can't even find the driver.

I waited all day in anticipation and now we are looking for a driver of a truck that said it was here two hrs ago

I am wondering the dude marked it knowing he was late and did not want to get in trouble

You don't thin the driver stole it, right?

A Nick

Neo Member
Does anyone have issues with the 3D eye tracking?

When I move around, the 3DS takes a sec or two to readjust. It isn't smooth, but it doesn't bother me. What kind of bothers me though, is while playing, I know my head and the n3DS is still but every now and then the eye tracker seems to re calibrate, which bothers me bc that usually takes more than two sec and sometimes persists (while being still) so I have to just sit there and let it re calibrate. I often have to turn off the 3D so I don't have to stop so often..

Top Bottom