• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

DagsJT

I'm sure this has been asked a million times already in this thread.

But if you had the choice would you buy the 3DS or the XL? I currently own the original XL 3DS but I think it's a tad too big. The original 3DS was tiny in comparison. Is the N3DS a good inbetween size?

I've gone from an OG XL, to a New 3DS, to the New XL and now back to the New 3DS. The XL is still to heavy for extended play for me.

I asked this question last week, and to paraphrase the reply: It feels weird but you get used to it. The extra sharpness is nice. Don't underestimate the allure of replaceable covers, either.

And quite frankly, after having one for a few days, this is exactly how I felt going from an original XL to a regular n3DS.

I also felt the XL was too big, really. IQ was kinda blurry, and the only reason I had one is because the original 3DS was too small. I feel the regular n3DS is actually a nice in-between and I can't see myself changing systems again at this point.

The only thing that really took getting to grips with was the map drawing in Persona Q, which on the smaller screen is more prone to mistakes if you're used to doing it on the XL's screen.

I've gone from an OG XL, to a New 3DS, to the New XL and now back to the New 3DS. The XL is still to heavy for extended play for me.

So you two would recommend dropping down a size this time round?

jorgejjvr

So the hori transparent new 3ds case is supposed to come out today, I pre ordered, and today I checked and it says I will get an email when available, wth

The back panel on my New 3DS is quite wobbly (specifically on the right side) when pressing buttons and such. Is that a normal behavior or do I need to look for a new one?

Vargavinter

I've googled a bit but i dont really come up an answer to my question. I just got a New 3DS with Majoras Mask pre-installed and got a new larger micro-sd. If i want to transfer from my old 3DS to my New do I have to do the transfer to the original micro-sd that comes with the NEW 3DS so that the pre-installed game gets merged with my NNID? Or can i swap out to the larger micro-sd before transfering and still get the systems to merge Majoras Mask to my NNID?

Zing

Banned
I've googled a bit but i dont really come up an answer to my question. I just got a New 3DS with Majoras Mask pre-installed and got a new larger micro-sd. If i want to transfer from my old 3DS to my New do I have to do the transfer to the original micro-sd that comes with the NEW 3DS so that the pre-installed game gets merged with my NNID? Or can i swap out to the larger micro-sd before transfering and still get the systems to merge Majoras Mask to my NNID?
This is answered on Nintendo's support site.

Basically, do the transfer, insert old SD into new system, go to eshop and re-download the game.

Jawmuncher

Going from a launch unit to a New 3DS XL is quite the upgrade. So glad I waited for this. Has me loving the 3DS all over again. My launch unit was showing its age and I was getting tired of the small screen .

I'm sure this has been asked a million times already in this thread.

But if you had the choice would you buy the 3DS or the XL? I currently own the original XL 3DS but I think it's a tad too big. The original 3DS was tiny in comparison. Is the N3DS a good inbetween size?
I had the Monster Hunter New XL on preorder but after some hands-on I couldn't live with the bad image quality. I picked up a black normal one with the Monster Hunter plates instead. Loving it and haven't regretted it for a second.

Vargavinter

This is answered on Nintendo's support site.

Basically, do the transfer, insert old SD into new system, go to eshop and re-download the game.

I dont want to use my old SD, I want to use my new micro-sd that a bought. My question was if i need the micro-SD it comes with when i do the transfer since I reckon that Majoras Mask is installed on it or if I can just swap for the new micro-sd before the transfer? I dont find anything any info when it comes to transfer to a New 3DS that comes with pre-installed software.

wiibomb

Just got a delay email from Amazon for the Duraflexi case for the XL :(

I haven't, but the page now says its out of stock for whatever reason...

I want that TPU case, I'm getting too paranoid about my MH4U n3DS...

anyone knows where I can get it???

AGoodODST

My New 3DS (Black) arrived today! I sold my previous 3DS back in 2013 as I wasn't getting much use out of it, but something about the new model (and this thread) drew me back in. The new models look really good, glad they went with the XLs more curved design instead of the originals weird angled design. And those coloured buttons, so good.

Been playing around with it for a few hours and I'm really impressed, especially by the new 3D. Picked up ALBW and Majora and the effect is actually enjoyable to use now. Can't wait to mess about with it further.

NeOak

WTF Hori? Give TPU ༼ つ。◕_◕。༽つ

I need it for my MM NN3DS ;-;

Also, damn at that Zelda hard case. I preordered one early so I got one but holy shit at the scalper price.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
My New 3DS (Black) arrived today! I sold my previous 3DS back in 2013 as I wasn't getting much use out of it, but something about the new model (and this thread) drew me back in. The new models look really good, glad they went with the XLs more curved design instead of the originals weird angled design. And those coloured buttons, so good.

Been playing around with it for a few hours and I'm really impressed, especially by the new 3D. Picked up ALBW and Majora and the effect is actually enjoyable to use now. Can't wait to mess about with it further.

I feel the same. Sold my XL last spring, picked up a black N3DS at launch and have been loving it. So much better actually being able to use the 3D. I keep it on max now in most games and mostly kept it off before as I'm too fidgety to stay in the sweet spot on the old model. The c stick is great for camera control in games like Majora's Mask as well. So I've been enjoying it a ton and playing more on it than PS4 or Vita lately.

AGoodODST

I feel the same. Sold my XL last spring, picked up a black N3DS at launch and have been loving it. So much better actually being able to use the 3D. I keep it on max now in most games and mostly kept it off before as I'm too fidgety to stay in the sweet spot on the old model. The c stick is great for camera control in games like Majora's Mask as well. So I've been enjoying it a ton and playing more on it than PS4 or Vita lately.

I must have sat for about 30 minutes messing around on the 3D calibration screen seeing how far I could push it. Honestly, you actually have to put in some effort to mess it up. It's really great for just lounging on the couch or in bed and playing, something I wasn't really able to do before as the 3D ewould just mess up.

I've only used the c-stick on the home screen so far but it seems super responsive, which is weird at first.

jorgejjvr

Man, what is going on there? Same here. Was first dated for release day and now this?!

Should have just imported it.

edit: looks like the date got pushed back to the 8th.

Really?? Where does it say it

I still see on my order:

Not yet shipped
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

And on the item itself:

Temporarily out of stock.

Mob

If you have a microSD to standard SD adaptor and you can access SD cards on a PC then you can copy your old SD card to the new microSD and use the new microSD in the adaptor in your old 3DS and do the system transfer. At the point it asks if you are using a SD or MiniSD you answer no. You put the new microSD in the new 3DS and you can redownload MM from the eshop. This is the method I used, I know it works. I'm sure there are other methods that work but I haven't used them myself.

I had the Monster Hunter New XL on preorder but after some hands-on I couldn't live with the bad image quality. I picked up a black normal one with the Monster Hunter plates instead. Loving it and haven't regretted it for a second.

Right well I'll just pull the trigger and buy a Black N3DS. The money I save goes towards MH4 and SSB

IronRinn

Huh, just looked at my order confirmation from Amazon for the HORI case, and while the release date on the site was listed as 3/3, the delivery estimate on the email is Monday, April 6, 2015. Placed my order on 2/18.

Do gaming handhelds and phones almost NEVER launch with protective accessories?

That should be a priority for companies. Then again, they want you to wear out said devices asap so you can run out and by the newer one the following year.

But seriously, this stuff is frustrating. Some of us would like to take care of our investments out of the box. And no, I don't want pay double or triple to import, as by the time it would get here, said product will likely have already have made it stateside anyway.

Why should they include the protective sleeves and screen protectors? I don't understand.. that's the last thing you want them to be wasting margins on.

We definitely needed a power adapter in the box though.

Just bought myself a N3DS as a treat. I'm now trying to decide what games I should buy.

What should I buy first; The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask or Super Smash Bro's?

Defiantly buying MH4.

Just bought myself a N3DS as a treat. I'm now trying to decide what games I should buy.

What should I buy first; The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask or Super Smash Bro's?

Defiantly buying MH4.

I'm not a huge Smash fan, unless you are I would suggest going for Majora's Mask.. it is the perfect compliment to MH4's more challenging, action-packed vibe.

Also, get some Sega 3D games! Galaxy Force II!

Really?? Where does it say it

I still see on my order:

Not yet shipped
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

And on the item itself:

Temporarily out of stock.

mine says the same. I have a package of three items, including the hori case, which says its shipping soon.

dedhead54

Just noticed that I have a couple of dead pixels on my top screen. Between this and the fact that my touch screen has wrinkles along the bottom of it I think I want to send it in to get these issues fixed. This is not quality I would expected on a $200 piece of hardware. Is Nintendo pretty easy to deal with when it comes to system repair?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Got my Boo faceplate in today. It's... awesome. Took some pics.
xL1TpMu.jpg

KqwcVlC.jpg

okfFS6a.jpg

_woLf

Where is the best place to get a cheap power adapter? I just got one of these and want to sell my old 3ds, so I'm going to need a new power adapter...

Ecto311

Defiantly buying MH4.

https://www.fredmeyer.com/webapp/wc...ndo+3DS)_16&parent_category_rn=&storeId=11204

Fred Meyer has smash for $19.99 and toysRus price matches them - it says on their site. I went there yesterday and got 2 pokemon since they are the same price and they didn't have smash. I got a guy there to price match it and ship it to my house no shipping cost. Traded some games and only paid like $4 for the game. Might be a good reason to go if you have either close.

Seems like you can find these in stores a little bit easier now. Thinking about picking up a red one. My black 3DSXL is kind of boring looking.

Just got a delay email from Amazon for the Duraflexi case for the XL :(

I got the same message..did an online chat with Amazon and he bumped up my shipping to two day shipping..Im thinking that since best buy has it released on the 8th that is when it will ship..amazon must have made a mistake regarding the date..at least Im hoping that is what happened..I ordered mine on Feb 19th

Why should they include the protective sleeves and screen protectors? I don't understand.. that's the last thing you want them to be wasting margins on.

We definitely needed a power adapter in the box though.
I didn't mean to imply "in the box", but rather, 3rd parties should launch accessories alongside the systems at launch, and not 1-3 months after the system has already launched.

I'm not a huge Smash fan, unless you are I would suggest going for Majora's Mask.. it is the perfect compliment to MH4's more challenging, action-packed vibe.

Also, get some Sega 3D games! Galaxy Force II!

Yeah I figured it would be wiser to pick up a solid single player game than one heavy multiplayer game and a co-op/solo.

https://www.fredmeyer.com/webapp/wc...ndo+3DS)_16&parent_category_rn=&storeId=11204

Fred Meyer has smash for $19.99 and toysRus price matches them - it says on their site. I went there yesterday and got 2 pokemon since they are the same price and they didn't have smash. I got a guy there to price match it and ship it to my house no shipping cost. Traded some games and only paid like $4 for the game. Might be a good reason to go if you have either close.

Alas I'm UKGaf so couldn't use you're bargain advice to score cheap games. Thanks anyway dude!

NeOak

Got an email from Amazon that the Hori TPU has an estimated delivery date of march 11.

>.> damn it Hori

Got an email from Amazon that the Hori TPU has an estimated delivery date of march 11.

>.> damn it Hori

I didnt get any email from amazon regarding that..just did an online chat with amazon about 20 minutes ago and he said that they have no idea when it will ship, just that when it does I will get 2 day shipping he upgraded me

jorgejjvr

mine says the same. I have a package of three items, including the hori case, which says its shipping soon.

Here's the answer from Amazon:

Hello,

I'm so sorry for the delay in shipping your order.

I've checked the availability for "HORI Duraflexi Clear Protector for Nintendo NEW 3DS XL", and can confirm that it's now back-ordered. We certainly didn't expect this would happen.

Unexpected fluctuations in supply can add time to our original availability estimate. We have learned that this item is now back- ordered, and our supplier has not been able to let us know exactly when they expect to have more in stock.

I want to make sure your order gets to you faster once we have stock. To help make up for the delay, I've upgraded the shipping method to One-Day Shipping at no additional cost.

Although the shipping method is faster, it'll still take some time to get the item. As soon as we receive more stock, we'll ship your order and send you an e-mail to let you know.

I know that this upgrading will in no way compensate for the inconvenience caused, please understand that we do care for our customers and do all we can to avail this item for you, in spite of all the efforts our reliance on suppliers and manufacturers for information about their stock, has caused this disappointment.

We are working hard to obtain this item for you and we will ship it as soon as we are able to obtain it. This means that we will ship the item as soon as we receive it from our suppliers even if the estimated ship date has still not arrived.

We'll send you an e-mail when your order is shipped with your tracking number. Your order could ship any time between now and right before the estimated delivery date.

If you'd rather cancel this item, I understand. To cancel the item, go to the URL below and click the "Need to cancel an item?" button:

-link/url goes here-

The item is available from another seller on our site. If you'd like to place a new order for the item with a seller after canceling the original order, go to the page below to see the offers available:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RZ7TC6Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

One of our aims at Amazon.com is to provide a convenient and efficient service; in this case, we haven't met that standard. I'm truly sorry, and I hope you'll consider this an isolated incident and give us another chance in the future.

Thank you for your understanding and patience. We appreciate your business and hope that we will see you again soon at Amazon.com.

=====================================================================

So no one knows when it is coming, it just got pushed to one day delivery, and the other seller is selling it for around $35. So, I guess I just have to wait and hope it comes as soon as possible

What class SD card do you need for this typically?

Also I saw the OoT thread about it being discontinued. Can you get the game on the eshop?

dedhead54

Lots of fast answers :D

So if you go all digital is there anyway to backup your games?

Does nintendo ever have decent sales on the esHop?

Games are tied to account which is tied to the hardware. I bought my system 2 weeks ago and started off digital (OoT 3D and Mario Kart 7) but now I am considering not continuing to buy digital until Nintendo gets with the times. I think worst case scenario, Nintendo can transfer the account and associated games but you have to call and have the serial number of the old 3DS handy.

Not sure about sales, this is my first 3DS and just got it.

Edzi

>.> damn it Hori

Same here. This is seriously getting annoying, since this is the second time we've gotten a delay on this thing. No idea why they didn't try to make it available at the N3DS launch.

Top Bottom