• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

I just discovered that if you hold select or start when starting a Gameboy VC game (didn't seem to work with a NES title), you get to see the game at 1:1 resolution. I wish they made this an optional setting or made it an in-game option on the lower screen instead, because it is really cool. It always bothered me how bad the Gameboy games looked when stretched..

Just fwiw, the reason it doesn't work with NES games is because those already are 1:1. NES games are rendered at 240p, the same resolution as the 3DS's screen.

There is an account system, the NNID and Nintendo has already said that NNID's will (obviously) move forward onto future systems.

Lol, no there isnt. But the suggestion is a cute one. :)

Just fwiw, the reason it doesn't work with NES games is because those already are 1:1. NES games are rendered at 240p, the same resolution as the 3DS's screen.

That makes sense, they indeed look good on the screen!

Does anyone have issues with the 3D eye tracking?

When I move around, the 3DS takes a sec or two to readjust. It isn't smooth, but it doesn't bother me. What kind of bothers me though, is while playing, I know my head and the n3DS is still but every now and then the eye tracker seems to re calibrate, which bothers me bc that usually takes more than two sec and sometimes persists (while being still) so I have to just sit there and let it re calibrate. I often have to turn off the 3D so I don't have to stop so often..

Happens here, I thought it was because the camera is thrown off by my glasses or the room lighting? The deadzone still feels really small for me with the XL, I just have to get used to it.

I need to buy a Game Gear title so I can test out 1:1 mode, any suggestions?

gooface

Banned
I love my "New" 3DS XL, dont have any issues with mine at all. The hinges arent any worse than they were on my XL unit I had before.

nordique

Just got my new 3DS Xl and it's awesome.

The new 3D is night and day difference from the old 3D, just the simple fact it doesn't go out focus allows me to use it for more than 2 mins without my eyes getting strained. It's like a 3D Renaissance for me now.

C stick is solid works well as a Camera stick for manipulating the camera, perhaps not quite as well for aiming things. I really like it in Majora's mask

I also like how much faster the system is. Downloads and startup times feel almost non existent now compared to what the OG 3ds was doing.

All in all, a solid upgrade.

808life

Banned
i swapped out the micro sd card with a 64gb. everything works good but i put the card in 32kb and not the 64 like some other have. would i notice the speed difference?

So, my NNID was linked to my new 3ds via customer service. My old saves won't work, right? I've redownloaded all my digital stuff but the save files are nowehre to be seen (unless i dragged the wrong folder into my micro sd card)

I hounded UPS until they called the local dispatch center's manager even though he was off-duty. He called the driver. The driver then got back in a truck, retrieved it from the wrong house he dropped it off to and got it back to me around 10:30p.

You had the MMn3DSXL, right?

Did they send you the same unit? How did the repair go? Are the issues fixed? What were the issues?

Need deets ^_^

dedhead54

I hounded UPS until they called the local dispatch center's manager even though he was off-duty. He called the driver. The driver then got back in a truck, retrieved it from the wrong house he dropped it off to and got it back to me around 10:30p.

Hah, glad it worked out for you in the end. I would have be livid if a shipping company had misplaced a package of mine, especially something that is limited/sold out.

Hah, glad it worked out for you in the end. I would have be livid if a shipping company had misplaced a package of mine, especially something that is limited/sold out.
That is how I feel about my Monster Hunter plates currently. I wouldn't be so freaked out since they estimated it to be delivered this Friday, but it showing that they delivered it worries me.

Ecto311

I've been away for pokemon for a while.

Ruby or X?

I have both and I am about 5 hours into both. Ruby is good but there is a lack of different pokemon so far. Most of the same ones in the same areas. Plus the game seems too easy. I don't grind anymore than I have to and I am 4-5 levels above most gym leaders. X seems to have more variety and feels a bit harder.

Danneee

Picked up my n3ds today and wow at the build quality of this thing. It is exactly how I hoped it would be, from material choices to buttons to the screens.

e_i

Still waiting on Dell to ship mine (black version). Ordered two weeks ago. They have the red one in stock, maybe I should switch it over to that.

Between my Vita: Oreshika, La Mulana EX, OlliOlli2 and my N3DS: Majora's Mask, Sega 3D, MH4U, Smash, 3D Land, MK I am in absolute handheld gaming nirvana. Feels so good.

And Blood Borne is on the way!

Gah, it looks like the red one in stock at GS and Dell. I guess no one gives a shit about red.

It is a bizarre and confounding color choice for the only alternate SKU in an already chopped in half offering. (Just XL's in NA)

Absolutely bizarre that they refuse to offer the white SKU's here.

dedhead54

I went with the black but now that I have seen some good photos of the red I think it looks great. I ALMOST wish I had gone red.

Thanks for the info, its weird I never got a email telling me about the delay :/

I never did either. I should have gotten it from Amazon UK!
I need the cover so I can use the case and bring it to work. Grrrr

Just got a shipping update from amazon on Hori TPU case: April 6th to April 20th lololol

OMG... that's probably where mine will end up in best case since there's no info on it yet. Any other place we can order this from ASAP?

(mat)

I ordered a grip for my New XL from a shady Chinese website for $5. Whether or not it ever arrives doesn't matter at that price. I'm a gambling man.

I never did either. I should have gotten it from Amazon UK!
I need the cover so I can use the case and bring it to work. Grrrr

OMG... that's probably where mine will end up in best case since there's no info on it yet. Any other place we can order this from ASAP?

Still have not gotten any type of notifications :/ really annoying, I wish Amazon would just let me know whats going on!

eBay - I ordered 2 Hori crystal cases for like $22 (including shipping), from JP and both arrived sooner than expected.

I ordered a TPU version today, arriving mid March.

Much faster than Amazon.

Use eBay guys/gals.

Edzi

I'm seriously considering getting the Japan LL version. I think I'll wait until mine has a shipping update and if it's anywhere in April or further, I'll get this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NFCCOMW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Mine updated and said the Hori Duraflexi case should arrive next Wednesday. My Hori arcade stick also got delayed today, so I'm assuming Hori is just having some problems getting their stuff to sellers right now. Maybe it's related to that port strike that just ended?

Producer

got a screen protector from Gamestop. Turns out its only for the bottom screen lol.

At least it came with 3 styluses for the normal 3dsxl

Mine updated and said the Hori Duraflexi case should arrive next Wednesday. My Hori arcade stick also got delayed today, so I'm assuming Hori is just having some problems getting their stuff to sellers right now. Maybe it's related to that port strike that just ended?

When did you place your order? I'm wondering if it's based on order.

Me: February 13, 2015
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

Edzi

When did you place your order? I'm wondering if it's based on order.

Me: February 13, 2015
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

Ordered January 17th, and it says it's arriving by next Wednesday at 8pm.

Ordered January 17th, and it says it's arriving by Wednesday at 8pm.

Dangit. I knew I should have ordered ahead of time. That's probably it. I'm guessing the person that says April is probably EO January or BO February.

I guess I'll place an order and BB and see who wins.

Dangit. I knew I should have ordered ahead of time. That's probably it. I'm guessing the person that says April is probably EO January or BO February.

I guess I'll place an order and BB and see who wins.

Ordered January 17th, and it says it's arriving by next Wednesday at 8pm.

I ordered mine on February 19th so what does this mean to me..that I shouldnt expect to receive it anytime soon??

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I bought this case from play-asia and it arrived in 3 days. It's plenty big enough for the XL.

zch0UHa.jpg

N88oPIX.jpg

sFcb3SC.jpg

Does the eshop often have decent sales of decent games? I've been watching for a few weeks, and I haven't seen anything that great since the Atlus sale (which happened before I got my 3ds :\ ). I just got a N3DS and a Vita, and I've spent ~$180 in the PSN store because basically all the Vita games I've been interested in have gone on sale. I'm about to get Fire Emblem Awakening and a few other Nintendo published games, but they're a bit expensive considering when they came out. Any chance that they'll go on sale before the next Smash Bros comes out?

noomi

Just noticed this on mine...

There's light bleeding through the edge of the bottom screen when looking at it at a certain angle.

Can you guys check yours to see if it does the same please.

F0zFrE6.jpg

Does the eshop often have decent sales of decent games? I've been watching for a few weeks, and I haven't seen anything that great since the Atlus sale (which happened before I got my 3ds :\ ). I just got a N3DS and a Vita, and I've spent ~$180 in the PSN store because basically all the Vita games I've been interested in have gone on sale. I'm about to get Fire Emblem Awakening and a few other Nintendo published games, but they're a bit expensive considering when they came out. Any chance that they'll go on sale before the next Smash Bros comes out?

I don't know, but the ATLUS sale really needs to come back.. was planning on buying everything but I couldn't get my hands on a XL before the sale ended. Very strange planning on their part.

Lol, no there isnt. But the suggestion is a cute one. :)
m8, i had my old 3ds broke, i had my NNID linked to it, nintendo delinked it from my broke 3ds, and i connected to it with my new system and had all my games redownloadable on my new xl

is it annoying? yes. but is it an account system. somewhat. the games are now tied to an account, rather than just the hardware, but the account itself is still tied to hardware unless you do a system transfer or call nintendo

which is still an improvement over "your system broke, your shit out of luck", but it can easily be improved

m8, i had my old 3ds broke, i had my NNID linked to it, nintendo delinked it from my broke 3ds, and i connected to it with my new system and had all my games redownloadable on my new xl

is it annoying? yes. but is it an account system. somewhat. the games are now tied to an account, rather than just the hardware, but the account itself is still tied to hardware unless you do a system transfer or call nintendo

which is still an improvement over "your system broke, your shit out of luck", but it can easily be improved

It's not a workable, scale-able system. It doesn't make any sense towards the consumer. You should not have to rely on a customer support number or go through rigorous transfer methods when purchasing a new system or losing your hardware.

Of course it is better than just being shit out of luck, but it is not an account system.

Annnnnnnnnnnd I jumped in.

Bought N3DSXL.
-Pokemon Y
-SMT4
-Fire Emblem
-Asking a GAF member in the B/S/T thread for 2 more games.
-Hori screen protectors
-32GB stick

Will be here next Monday. No idea where I'll find the time but I couldn't hold out any longer. Need to find OoT and some other games.

Folks here in the US that want to get the TPU case might as well wait a few days as GS and Best Buy will be getting them in within the next week.

Ordering from Japan will most likely guarantee you a near-month wait period.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Damnit I suppose i should return it then... After I put the screen protector on and everything :(

It's not that bad honestly, and I can't notice it when playing, but knowing it's there bothers me now...
If you're bothered, exchange it. A system you just paid $200 for should not leak light from its screen. There are many different issues you could be presented with on your next system, so check over it thoroughly before committing to a 7-day system transfer.

So, as someone who enjoys playing Mario Kart & Monster Hunter every now and then on down time (Previous portable devices, I mean), is it worth me jumping in and nabbing a N3DS tomorrow? I have some friends that come over to my house about 3-4 times a week and they are always playing Mario Kart 7 and plus it would be nice to place on my lunch breaks, but want to make sure it's worth the extra money. I'm also interested in playing MM3DS.

So, as someone who enjoys playing Mario Kart & Monster Hunter every now and then on down time (Previous portable devices, I mean), is it worth me jumping in and nabbing a N3DS tomorrow? I have some friends that come over to my house about 3-4 times a week and they are always playing Mario Kart 7 and plus it would be nice to place on my lunch breaks, but want to make sure it's worth the extra money. I'm also interested in playing MM3DS.

Yes. You will not regret it, the games you list alone will give you hundreds of hours of fun.

Yes. You will not regret it, the games you list alone will give you hundreds of hours of fun.

Sweet. I just wanted to make sure since I had enough on my paycheck to nab one and like two games and didn't want to blow the extra money if it wasn't worth it compared to the original 3DS XL. Thanks for the info!

Top Bottom