• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

TI82

Banned
Here's the magikarp case if anyone is wondering. Tons of other Pokemon's too.

il_570xN.645858708_10cg.jpg
https://www.etsy.com/listing/152155...type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all

charpunk

Has anyone got their HORI TPU case shipped from Amazon yet? It is supposed to come out tomorrow and I still don't have a single update...

I received an email telling me mine was delayed until early April. Ordered one off Best Buy's website as well. Hopefully that one gets here quicker.

Works for me. Not as well as during the day but still works great. I expected it not to work at all in the dark.
yeah on my system, at night it basically acts like the og 3ds, with slight movement breaking it

i think i need to adjust the super stable 3d or something, i think it's set to the default

Fireblend

Banned
I need some help.

I had a MicroSD card + adapter on my old system. After the initial system transfer, my new 3DS restarted, and now I see a message that says:

"Nintendo DSiWare will now be moved to the system memory from the microSD card.

Please turn off the power before removing/inserting the SD card containing the Nintendo DSiWare from the source system.

This screen will be displayed after the power is turned on again."

Options say "Move" and "Don't Move".

I think the DSiWare refers to Four Sword Adventures. My question is: Should I turn off the New 3DS now, switch the MicroSD to the one from my old system, and turn it on again?

Yes.

100% yes.

N3DS/N3DSXL is the God tier 3DS hardware incarnation.

My red N3DSXL has 0 faults and the hardware feels rigid (not squeaky or floppy like the old XL or OG) and...

...this incarnation of the hardware finally matches up to the quality of the best games - the 3DS and XL always felt limited and like corners were cut (to save $) - not here.

Amen to this.....

And ive owned probably 3 different systems. One launch, one XL, and then another OG.

Hardware itself always felt like shit until now...

Good luck waiting. I've had a list of games on my Amazon wishlist for a couple years now and saw barely any price drops or deals. In fact, I started noticing that some of them were rising in price, so a couple days ago I just bought all of my high priority 3ds/ds games at once. It cost me a small fortune, but it's better than finding out it's too late if they've gone out of print.
I'm not gonna wait long, I'm monitoring cheapassgamer for the time being. Funny thing is that best buy had a b2g1 free deal on games the week the new 3ds launched. I obviously failed to take advantage though :/

Yes.

100% yes.

N3DS/N3DSXL is the God tier 3DS hardware incarnation.

My red N3DSXL has 0 faults and the hardware feels rigid (not squeaky or floppy like the old XL or OG) and...

...this incarnation of the hardware finally matches up to the quality of the best games - the 3DS and XL always felt limited and like corners were cut (to save $) - not here.
Yes yes yes.
As an OG 3DS owner, the N3DS/N3DSXL feels absolutely perfect and fixes everything that was wrong about the OG 3DS. No scratches on the top screen due to pressing onto the bottom screen, MicroSD Management allows wireless transferring of files/pics, 3D is much more bearable for those who hated holding the system precisely before, everything about this system is great.

Just wanted to post some impressions, I had a launch 3DS but ended up selling that during the initial drought. Bought a black New 3DSXL with a 64GB card two weeks ago, and ended up loading it with $450 worth of digital releases to catch up.

Very happy with the experience, the OS is fun to use. I love the expanded Mii-related functionality. I was shocked at how revolutionary the Miiverse seems for a handheld system. There is a much better feeling of being connected to the community, and other players, compared to the launch OS.

The build quality/design is OK. The screen quality/resolution sucks, but when the 3D works it is a treat. It almost makes me wish the next handheld will also have a 3D screen. At the same time the 3D effect is far from perfect, glitchy, and tiring for my eyes. But it works so well in games like MH4rd or the 3D Sega games, that it is hard to imagine the device without it. The 3D effect definitely makes up for the visual downgrade that I get over playing on Vita or iPhone 6 Plus.

The hinge snap each time I open the device hurts a little each time, but I'll deal with that.

One of the most impressive games using the 3D screen was Galaxy Force II, for some reason it works really well with that game for me. The gyro controls that come with Super Hang On work really well too.

Besides loving Monster Hunter all over again, the Majora's Mask remaster is just astonishing. Extremely well executed. That game is just pure magic, I hope to see it through to the end this time!

PS. Rusty's Real Deal Baseball is so amazing. It is charming, interesting, and feels like a bold move for Nintendo.

PPS. Did anyone else receive a very small firmware update just now?

PPPS. It is so amazing to finally have a handheld Monster Hunter that seamlessly allows me to play online.. finally!

Link83

I think the DSiWare refers to Four Sword Adventures. My question is: Should I turn off the New 3DS now, switch the MicroSD to the one from my old system, and turn it on again?
I don't know if you still need an answer to this, but yes turn it off and insert the microSD card now. When you power back up it will ask to move the DSiWare again.

Juraash

Sorry to if this has been discussed, but has anyone had like...clicking on occasion with the left stick?

To elaborate mine will occasionally click and feel like something is...loose I guess inside. I'll also feel a tiny amount of resistance when it does this. It can be a couple days and be fine but then it'll happen, seemingly at random, several times in a few minutes.

Functionally it seems fine and I haven't had it do anything weird control wise when this happens. Also Nintendo's site seems to have this listed as "normal" but I'm still concerned and was curious about other people's experience. Mine is the Monster Hunter edition if that somehow matters.

Sorry to if this has been discussed, but has anyone had like...clicking on occasion with the left stick?

To elaborate mine will occasionally click and feel like something is...loose I guess inside. I'll also feel a tiny amount of resistance when it does this. It can be a couple days and be fine but then it'll happen, seemingly at random, several times in a few minutes.

Functionally it seems fine and I haven't had it do anything weird control wise when this happens. Also Nintendo's site seems to have this listed as "normal" but I'm still concerned and was curious about other people's experience. Mine is the Monster Hunter edition if that somehow matters.
I have the Monster Hunter edition too and I was concerned about this too when I had my system for the first few days. Recently, however, it has never happened to me ever again even though I have still been playing Smash and MH4U. It seems like the problem fixed itself for me.

My SD card popped out while I was in the middle of playing MH earlier :/

Opened it up to put it back in but it just keeps popping back out. Really sucks, don't particularly want to send off for a repair.

jaosobno

So, does anyone know where can I buy Hori TPU case for N3DSXL? No EU Amazon has them in stock, my only options so far are Nippon Yasan or ebay.

Nippon Yasan has insane shipping charges for Europe and even higher item prices (at least for cases, $33 for Hori TPU case? GTFO) and ebay has only Japanese versions which (according to the sellers) would take 3-7 weeks to reach Europe (WTF?).

Do gaming handhelds and phones almost NEVER launch with protective accessories?

That should be a priority for companies. Then again, they want you to wear out said devices asap so you can run out and by the newer one the following year.

But seriously, this stuff is frustrating. Some of us would like to take care of our investments out of the box. And no, I don't want pay double or triple to import, as by the time it would get here, said product will likely have already have made it stateside anyway.

jaosobno

Any decent grips for the XL yet? Gonna need one for Xenoblade!

UK based here but I'm cool to import

Since finding Hori TPU case is proving to be difficult, I'm now considering grip as well (would make playing MH4 more comfortable). This one has some good reviews (on reddit):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Ne...210?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234c5541ea

However, considering current dollar value, it's quite pricey to import.

However, if you need something cheaper, one gaffer (I think it was in MH4 thread) recommended this one:

http://www.eachmall.com/goods-43600-51876.html

Enjolras

Neo Member
I've been having problems with my n3DS locking up in the middle of playing games, and once when I went to System Settings. I've noticed it with my downloaded games (Ace Attorney Trilogy, Fire Emblem), and with Theatrhythm Curtain Call on cartridge (though, that game uses a lot of SD storage). One time I selected Four Swords, and the whole screen went distorted. I have to hold the power button to get the console to turn off, and if I try turning it back on straight away, the blue power light comes on, but nothing else does.

Now, before I send this back to Nintendo, does this sound like a problem with my MicroSD card, or is it the hardware itself? Could it be that the files got corrupted during the transfer, or because I've had to force a shut down many times in the last week?

I'm just gutted. Never had a problem with Nintendo hardware before, and I'm not particularly looking forward to losing my non-backupable saves, and having to start from scratch on Streetpass. :(

Omikaru

I've been having problems with my n3DS locking up in the middle of playing games, and once when I went to System Settings. I've noticed it with my downloaded games (Ace Attorney Trilogy, Fire Emblem), and with Theatrhythm Curtain Call on cartridge (though, that game uses a lot of SD storage). One time I selected Four Swords, and the whole screen went distorted. I have to hold the power button to get the console to turn off, and if I try turning it back on straight away, the blue power light comes on, but nothing else does.

Now, before I send this back to Nintendo, does this sound like a problem with my MicroSD card, or is it the hardware itself? Could it be that the files got corrupted during the transfer, or because I've had to force a shut down many times in the last week?

I'm just gutted. Never had a problem with Nintendo hardware before, and I'm not particularly looking forward to losing my non-backupable saves, and having to start from scratch on Streetpass. :(
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Four Swords, as a DSiWare game, uses the system's internal storage and won't touch the microSD at all (except for during the system transfer process).

If that's true, it sounds like it's your system.

To be doubly sure, put a different microSD in and see if you can reproduce the problem. Also, see if this happens with card-based games (preferably ones which don't use the microSD). Oftentimes finding issues with hardware is a process of elimination.

Danneee

I bought a refurb 3ds last year and had the same problem. Actually every time I went to the system settings it froze. Switched SD cards worked like a charm. So try that before you send it back.

Finally got my white New 3DS Regular today, spent the whole day playing Majora's Mask trying to get used to the jump from my old 3DS XL. Has anyone else made the same jump? Let me know if it gets easier, because right now I'm pretty disappointed.

To start with, I think the C-stick is really cool. I'd always imagined it as a clicky laptop nipple mouse before I laid hands on it, so finding out it's a magical pressure-sensitive thing is really cool, and finding out it actually works really well is even cooler. I don't know how well it'll hold up for really precise tasks (I'll try a shooting game at some point), but for moving the camera around in Majora it works well.

The 'super stable' 3D, however, hasn't impressed me. The sweetspot is definitely much larger than it was on my old XL, which was so ridiculously tiny I just never used 3D, but the eye-tracking thing presents a whole new problem. At seemingly random moments, the 3D effect will just freak the fuck out, for no apparent reason. It's as if the eye-tracking camera will suddenly lose one of my eyes and the screen just beams me a bunch of visual nonsense for a few seconds. I also get a lot of 'ghost' images, even when it's working properly. It's fine for the majority of the time, but freaks out frequently enough that I can't see myself ever keeping 3D on for good.

I switched from an XL to a regular because I've never liked how heavy the XL is for games where I hold the system with one hand and use the stylus with the other. The New 3DS is nice and light, and I really like the extra sharpness of the smaller screen, but one thing I never considered was that a smaller screen means smaller targets for me to poke at on the touchscreen. The problem reared its head when I started playing Picross, and found that the squares are just a little bit too small for me to comfortably touch and drag across. I'm hoping that's something I can get used to, though.

Finally, the hinge flops, just like my old XL, and I really hate that. I know Nintendo does it because they had to replace a lot of cracked hinges on the DS Lite, but, come on, surely there's a better way to remedy that than have every subsequent handheld flop like a cheap piece of junk. #NoMoreFlop

Anyway, I guess I've got seven days before I can System Transfer back to my original XL, so I'll think of the next week as a test drive. It's sitting there in its little toaster charging dock, its '90s-PC-hardware-beige stock faceplate begging for a change, its SNES-coloured face buttons begging to be touched; hopefully it'll grow on me.

Is there a web page for 3ds eshop, which I can browse on my phone? I want to see what all games are available there because the retail copies for some DS games are too coatly.

I'm sure this has been asked a million times already in this thread.

But if you had the choice would you buy the 3DS or the XL? I currently own the original XL 3DS but I think it's a tad too big. The original 3DS was tiny in comparison. Is the N3DS a good inbetween size?

Ohnonono

Got my Black New XL, system transfer took about 20 mins (no games, just patches and save data.) After one night build seems very solid, c-stick works as advertised and immediately helped in Smash 4. New 3D might actually get me to use it on some games because it is nuts. So far very happy!

Omikaru

I'm sure this has been asked a million times already in this thread.

But if you had the choice would you buy the 3DS or the XL? I currently own the original XL 3DS but I think it's a tad too big. The original 3DS was tiny in comparison. Is the N3DS a good inbetween size?

I asked this question last week, and to paraphrase the reply: It feels weird but you get used to it. The extra sharpness is nice. Don't underestimate the allure of replaceable covers, either.

And quite frankly, after having one for a few days, this is exactly how I felt going from an original XL to a regular n3DS.

I also felt the XL was too big, really. IQ was kinda blurry, and the only reason I had one is because the original 3DS was too small. I feel the regular n3DS is actually a nice in-between and I can't see myself changing systems again at this point.

The only thing that really took getting to grips with was the map drawing in Persona Q, which on the smaller screen is more prone to mistakes if you're used to doing it on the XL's screen.

jaosobno

I was just about to give up on finding Hori case for N3DSXL when I stumbled on this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151607399211

$18.95 + free shipping!

That, my friends, is a Hori TPU case for N3DSXL at a decent price. Can't believe I actually found one. Ordered it, ships from Japan. Hopefully it will be at my doorstep in 2 weeks.

Nippon Yasan sells it for $33 + $8 shipping charges.

Puflwiz

Banned
Picked up a New 3DS XL Last week along with monster hunter. Loving it. Still salty the. XL doesnt have faceplates, I really want to customize it.

DagsJT

Finally got my white New 3DS Regular today, spent the whole day playing Majora's Mask trying to get used to the jump from my old 3DS XL. Has anyone else made the same jump? Let me know if it gets easier, because right now I'm pretty disappointed.

To start with, I think the C-stick is really cool. I'd always imagined it as a clicky laptop nipple mouse before I laid hands on it, so finding out it's a magical pressure-sensitive thing is really cool, and finding out it actually works really well is even cooler. I don't know how well it'll hold up for really precise tasks (I'll try a shooting game at some point), but for moving the camera around in Majora it works well.

The 'super stable' 3D, however, hasn't impressed me. The sweetspot is definitely much larger than it was on my old XL, which was so ridiculously tiny I just never used 3D, but the eye-tracking thing presents a whole new problem. At seemingly random moments, the 3D effect will just freak the fuck out, for no apparent reason. It's as if the eye-tracking camera will suddenly lose one of my eyes and the screen just beams me a bunch of visual nonsense for a few seconds. I also get a lot of 'ghost' images, even when it's working properly. It's fine for the majority of the time, but freaks out frequently enough that I can't see myself ever keeping 3D on for good.

I switched from an XL to a regular because I've never liked how heavy the XL is for games where I hold the system with one hand and use the stylus with the other. The New 3DS is nice and light, and I really like the extra sharpness of the smaller screen, but one thing I never considered was that a smaller screen means smaller targets for me to poke at on the touchscreen. The problem reared its head when I started playing Picross, and found that the squares are just a little bit too small for me to comfortably touch and drag across. I'm hoping that's something I can get used to, though.

Finally, the hinge flops, just like my old XL, and I really hate that. I know Nintendo does it because they had to replace a lot of cracked hinges on the DS Lite, but, come on, surely there's a better way to remedy that than have every subsequent handheld flop like a cheap piece of junk. #NoMoreFlop

Anyway, I guess I've got seven days before I can System Transfer back to my original XL, so I'll think of the next week as a test drive. It's sitting there in its little toaster charging dock, its '90s-PC-hardware-beige stock faceplate begging for a change, its SNES-coloured face buttons begging to be touched; hopefully it'll grow on me.

I've had two N3DS's now and neither have had a loose hinge. Might be worth getting yours replaced.

Top Bottom