• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

I received my n3DS XL skin from Decal Girl yesterday and am really pleased with it:

It was really easy to apply and seems like its good quality. I love the matte finish. No more fingerprints! It's helping ease the pain of not being able to use faceplates. :(

Looking good - Well played. The fingerprints on the new glossy finish are less than ideal. I think I'm gonna get some black vinyl lettering in the proper font saying 'VIRTUAL BOY' for my Red n3DSXL, since you know, it is one. Course I'm still left with finger prints, but as the head-tracking 3D is what the VB always aspired to be, I can't help it. ;)

Also I want to honor Gunpei, as he's the reason for all of this still.

In case anyone is wondering how the mint dock looks with a dark N3DS:

QhS7mqD.jpg

ADk48iz.jpg

I'm really pleased with it!
That Goomba plate looks awesome. Is it a shiny plate? I got my niece the Yoshi one, and it's shiny. I have a preference for a matte finish.

I was pretty excited for the Super Stable 3D since on the original, it was really easy to lose the effect unless you held the system perfectly still and didn't shift your eyes.

With the new 3D, you can move your head, shift your eyes, etc. but I guess I'm sensitive to the constant following of your eyes to keep it 3D. You really feel the fatigue quickly and there's a bit of a ghosting effect. The moment you turn it off, it feels like your eyes can relax.

It looks great but oh well, it's not worth the bizarre feeling.

I was this way, years ago with the OG.

Start with the 3D low and use that for a period, over time (like a week), gradually increase the 3D effect. You'll acclimate - I promise.

3D makes games like MH so immersive and 3DS games less shit looking ^_^

Well the local GS has Red 3ds XLs in stock,but not sure on the color. Always go with black or white,but I might trader in 1886 and pick one up tomorrow. Been watching youtube unboxings hyping myself to buy one lol.

The red is more Cardinal, than red.

Really pretty NES deeper red.

Unai

The cheapest way of me getting a New 3DS would cost me $398.00, and that is in the gray market...

It's hard to be a Nintendo fan in Brazil.

Pachimari

Yes they are. You generally can't go wrong with Hori screen protectors. They're very easy to apply. I applied them to three three regular n3DS systems to far.

I'm relieved to hear that.
I just don't understand why Play-Asia haven't taken my money yet. I'm paying with PayPal but I don't know if I should confirm something?

Wait, they're canceling orders now? What the heck... When did you order yours? Also, did you have an estimated delivery date?

I went ahead and asked for it to be canceled, I was just sick of waiting. Never had an estimated delivery date either..I ordered mine on Feb 19th and I could see that it was not going to ship anytime soon so I just said screw it so I went ahead and got this one instead
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NFCCOMW/?tag=neogaf0e-20
its the exact same one and did one day shipping, the guy on amazon chat went ahead and credited me the 10 bucks for shipping so it it worked out like this

Order Summary
Item(s) Subtotal:
$20.99
Shipping & Handling:
$0.00
Total before tax:
$20.99
Estimated tax to be collected:
$0.00
Grand Total:
$20.99

once the item does ship the same guy will credit me 8 bucks back onto my account so I will end up spending the exact same amount as the US version you should go ahead and do the same thing depending on how badly you want it

I went ahead and asked for it to be canceled, I was just sick of waiting. Never had an estimated delivery date either..I ordered mine on Feb 19th and I could see that it was not going to ship anytime soon so I just said screw it so I went ahead and got this one instead
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NFCCOMW/?tag=neogaf0e-20
its the exact same one and did one day shipping, the guy on amazon chat went ahead and credited me the 10 bucks for shipping so it it worked out like this

Order Summary
Item(s) Subtotal:
$20.99
Shipping & Handling:
$0.00
Total before tax:
$20.99
Estimated tax to be collected:
$0.00
Grand Total:
$20.99

once the item does ship the same guy will credit me 8 bucks back onto my account so I will end up spending the exact same amount as the US version you should go ahead and do the same thing depending on how badly you want it

Nice thanks I'll try that route.

//ARCANUM

Well the local GS has Red 3ds XLs in stock,but not sure on the color. Always go with black or white,but I might trader in 1886 and pick one up tomorrow. Been watching youtube unboxings hyping myself to buy one lol.

The red is gorgeous in person. It makes me not feel so bad that I didn't get a LE model.

batrush

I would pass on the red and keep an eye out for a black unit. The red is tacky as hell.

Edzi

What the heck, I just got off chat with Amazon about the Hori Duraflexi protecter, and they assured me that the new estimated delivery date of March 11th was accurate, and that they had received their shipments yesterday and were preparing them. After I left the chat, I went to check my order and saw that the estimate had changed AGAIN, this time to March 17th... I didn't get an email about it, so it might just be a mistake, but does anyone else also see this change?

//ARCANUM

I just ordered a few minutes ago and the estimated delivery with 2 day shipping is 3/11.

oh wow, i didn't see the prime eligible one, thank you!

edit - actually it just became prime eligible. i guess amazon is getting these in from japan.

placed the order! i guess if they become available through best buy or gamestop before then, i'll just cancel this order. thanks!

oh wow, i didn't see the prime eligible one, thank you!

edit - actually it just became prime eligible. i guess amazon is getting these in from japan.

placed the order! i guess if they become available through best buy or gamestop before then, i'll just cancel this order. thanks!

I canceled my amazon US order and I ordered the same one you did..delivery date set for tomorrow..mine was shipping from leaf-co japan and cost 10 bucks for 1 day shipping but the amazon chat agent refunded me and will refund me another 8 bucks when the order ships so it will make it a total of 12.99 which is exactly what the other one cost

Edit: IT JUST SHIPPED arriving tomorrow..its shipping from Indiana by UPS

I just got my N3DS today!!!!!!! I have to say, after spending the entire day playing it with my friend (Smash Bros, Pokemon & Mario Kart), I fucking LOVE how the 3D works so incredibly well. It doesn't even hurt my eyes like the original 3DS XL did since the 3D track was beyond terrible on it. I now appreciate 3D in my games. I am beyond happy and pleased with my purchase. :D

Also, what's all of the talk about the HORI Duraflexi Protectors? Are they THAT good? I'm really curious.

Seville

Gah, Not sure what colour to get.. the red looks pretty nice from a set of pictures I saw in this thread a while back, but black is always nice. ;_;

Jayne

I canceled my amazon US order and I ordered the same one you did..delivery date set for tomorrow..mine was shipping from leaf-co japan and cost 10 bucks for 1 day shipping but the amazon chat agent refunded me and will refund me another 8 bucks when the order ships so it will make it a total of 12.99 which is exactly what the other one cost

Edit: IT JUST SHIPPED arriving tomorrow..its shipping from Indiana by UPS

After reading this, I went ahead and canceled my order for the US one and after a somewhat lengthy chat conversation with amazon customer service, they allowed me to order one of the Japanese ones fulfilled by amazon for $23.99 with a promise of an $11 refund as soon as it ships o_O. The CS rep didn't really understand what I was asking for at first but once I explained that they are essentially the exact same product, only one is from Japan she allowed me a "one time exception". It's pretty cool of them to do that sort of thing, honestly.

//ARCANUM

hmmm i just realized that some of the prime sellers on amazon actually have the hori case in stock now (or so it says)... they're just a bit more expensive. I could order one for $26.99 right now and it says in stock and fulfilled by amazon... the one I ordered is $22... so only a little more to get it a week earlier... anyone order one of these yet? are they *actually* in stock?

edit - nvm, bunch of lies. when I added to cart it shows delivers by March 10th, 1 day sooner lol.

Before I made a choice on a storage case to get for this, I came across this:

81bqH-7VuhL._SL1500_.jpg

Sorry for the huge size. Anyway, is there any other place to get these? Are these still being made in normal plain colors at least? Not gonna pay $50+ for this.

Looks perfect storage wise, and will likely hold a New 3DS XL.

Jayne

I'm with a opportunity to get a og3DS or a 2DS.
Wich one would you guys recommend me the most?

I'd say get whichever is cheaper. I recently saw a brand new Midnight Purple 3DS at my local Target for $118, which isn't a bad price or a brand new 3DS, but you can get a 2DS refurb from nintendo for just $75. Buuuuutt... If money isn't an object here, I have always been rather fond of the design of the 2DS, myself, though I've only gotten to get my hands on it once xD, The regular 3DS is still a sexy little device. Midnight purple in particular is beautiful in person. I'd go with the regular 3DS if it was me ^^

GET BOTH

//ARCANUM

Before I made a choice on a storage case to get for this, I came across this:

81bqH-7VuhL._SL1500_.jpg

Sorry for the huge size. Anyway, is there any other place to get these? Are these still being made in normal plain colors at least? Not gonna pay $50+ for this.

Looks perfect storage wise, and will likely hold a New 3DS XL.

just as an FYI (posting it publicly rather than PM, not to shame but to inform others that might not know either) - if you put a quote tag around the image, it will shrink the size to properly fit the thread, like it has shrunk it in my post here! :)

After reading this, I went ahead and canceled my order for the US one and after a somewhat lengthy chat conversation with amazon customer service, they allowed me to order one of the Japanese ones fulfilled by amazon for $23.99 with a promise of an $11 refund as soon as it ships o_O. The CS rep didn't really understand what I was asking for at first but once I explained that they are essentially the exact same product, only one is from Japan she allowed me a "one time exception". It's pretty cool of them to do that sort of thing, honestly.

For the shipping fee, the guy waived it as soon as I made the order..I asked him to it and it did..the original cost with 1 day shipping was 30.99(Cost 10 bucks to ship with 1 day shipping) so he went ahead and did that immediately..now Im just waiting for the 8 dollar refund from the same guy..its arriving tomorrow via UPS(Shipping from Indiana) just hoping that it ends up being the exact same product as the one we couldnt get because it was out of stock

just as an FYI (posting it publicly rather than PM, not to shame but to inform others that might not know either) - if you put a quote tag around the image, it will shrink the size to properly fit the thread, like it has shrunk it in my post here! :)
Cool, was wondering how to do that. Thanks for the tip :)

demigod

Does anyone else have a problem with their monster hunter 3ds? My top screen is not securely tight, i can push it left and right.

jaosobno

Anyone found a solution to the creaking / somewhat loose back plate of the n3ds XL?

I've noticed this too. What I did this morning was this:

1. Loosened both screws and removed the backplate.
2. Put the backplate back in, this time more carefully than the first time when I was replacing my microSD card. I made sure that everything snapped into place.
3. Tightened the screws just enough so they aren't too tight. This is crucial since too tight screws can sometimes cause plastic to creak.

I had some problems on the left side (analog slider wise) and now they are no more. I still noticed slight looseness (no creaking, but can I feel that plastic slightly gives when I press it with my thumb) at the bottom (where cartridge/stylus are), but I read that this is normal. It doesn't really bother me, but if it ever gets irritating, I can always slide in a piece of paper inside (don't this I'm gonna do that since I ordered Hori TPU case which will cover that area and I won't feel that anymore).

So, I bought a new 3ds two weeks ago with Pokemon Omega Rubin and I like the game and the system, played through it very fast.

Last week I bought a copy of Bravely Default & Tales of the Abyss for 45€. It got lost, and I lost 15 €, because he agreed to pay 30 € back. My new 3ds is not used in the last week.

I hope to find some cheap games. 3ds games are really not losing much worth. I have a PS Vita and I love, this Nintendo system was my first since the gamecube and the gameboy advance.

jaosobno

Does anyone else have a problem with their monster hunter 3ds? My top screen is not securely tight, i can push it left and right.

This has been discussed several times. Yes, all XL models have slightly loose hinges (top screen slightly wobbles) and they can be slightly pushed left/right. This was probably done to prevent hinges from breaking.

I hope to find some cheap games. 3ds games are really not losing much worth. I have a PS Vita and I love, this Nintendo system was my first since the gamecube and the gameboy advance.

The first party games especially tend not to reduce in price. And if that Ocarina of Time 3D thread is anything to go by, they sometimes don't restock. (Though NCL in general seems to not keep up with suoply in general with some of their games, see: Pikmin 3)

Jayne

For the shipping fee, the guy waived it as soon as I made the order..I asked him to it and it did..the original cost with 1 day shipping was 30.99(Cost 10 bucks to ship with 1 day shipping) so he went ahead and did that immediately..now Im just waiting for the 8 dollar refund from the same guy..its arriving tomorrow via UPS(Shipping from Indiana) just hoping that it ends up being the exact same product as the one we couldnt get because it was out of stock

I've seen a couple of un-boxings and reviews of the imported one, and it seems to be perfect. I haven't actually seen any of the US ones, but from the product descriptions and what I can tell, it looks to be a exact 1:1 copy. Only difference being the packaging. Let me know how yours is when it arrives tomorrow. ^^

So we have a complete list of matte faceplates?

I ordered the black MonHun faceplate and it turned out to be shiny. Not too bad, but not my preference.

I.e. is the black Triforce faceplate matte?

Pachimari

So we have a complete list of matte faceplates?

I ordered the black MonHun faceplate and it turned out to be shiny. Not too bad, but not my preference.

I.e. is the black Triforce faceplate matte?

I'm pretty sure the Triforce one is shiny as well.

There's aren't that many fell (matte) faceplates.

Kssio_Aug

Tough one, portability and limited 3d versus ergonomics.

If its a system that will stay home, go for the 2ds.

I'd say get whichever is cheaper. I recently saw a brand new Midnight Purple 3DS at my local Target for $118, which isn't a bad price or a brand new 3DS, but you can get a 2DS refurb from nintendo for just $75. Buuuuutt... If money isn't an object here, I have always been rather fond of the design of the 2DS, myself, though I've only gotten to get my hands on it once xD, The regular 3DS is still a sexy little device. Midnight purple in particular is beautiful in person. I'd go with the regular 3DS if it was me ^^

GET BOTH

Thanks!! Will give it a thought! Its good to know both systems are recommended though! :)

Top Bottom