• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Got the Hori case today from amazon, its a great case I LOVE it, just unfortunately its NOT compatible with the hori charging 3ds xl cradle, oh well, got the cradle for free anyway so its all good but still would have liked for it to be compatible

Sorry if this has already been asked, I did a system transfer from my old 3ds to the new one. Do I need to deactivate anything or is the old one blank?

_woLf

After my last 3ds XL from best buy had the creaking hinge, the replacement came today....

it does the exact same thing. :( Is this a really widespread problem..? should I just give up :(

Kssio_Aug

Allright... just noticed the lack of an Ac Adapter to it. lol
How is it in 3DS? Is there any common device that uses the same cable? Like an Android phone, or the Dualshock 4 or something.

Is the Ace Combat game worth it? I loved the PS2 games, liked the XB360 and PSP releases. It would be an instant buy for me if it had multiplayer..

What about Mario Tennis on 3DS?

ctfg23

How is it in 3DS? Is there any common device that uses the same cable? Like an Android phone, or the Dualshock 4 or something.
The 3DS uses the same cable as the DSi/DSi XL, but otherwise, no.

tiijj

It doesn't use the same usb micro-b like an android or ds4. It uses a proprietary connector. You can purchase a 3ds ac adapter, a usb cable that has the 3ds power connector or a small adapter that you can attach to a usb micro-b cable.

npqcmo6.jpg

The middle one is the 3ds connector, the one on the right is the micro-b.

Kssio_Aug

It doesn't use the same usb micro-b like an android or ds4. It uses a proprietary connector. You can purchase a 3ds ac adapter, a usb cable that has the 3ds power connector or a small adapter that you can attach to a usb micro-b cable.

npqcmo6.jpg

The middle one is the 3ds connector, the one on the right is the micro-b.

I've read that the AC adapter is 4,6v. Is it okay to recharge it with a 5,0v adapter?
I can't find many options where I live.

I'm thinking about buying a generic cable with USB>3DS connector, and plug it in my samsung phone wall adapter that outpts 5,0V/1,0A. Since that's inside the 10%, is it safe to recharge it like that?

Adamator

Is there any consensus regarding battery life on the NEW XL? I swear Ive played maybe 2 hours of Mm3D today and have the system in standby at work all day. I came home and did some mii plaza stuff and was surprised to have the red light come on.

Ive been playing with auto brightness, no power save, wifi etc all on.

Chitown B

The NMM3DSXL I gave to my son was quasi-floppy (hinge), otherwise perfect.

The Nred3DSXL I bought for myself is completely rigid, with no amount of flop.

Anecdotal, the manager at the GameStop I shop at, has a red one (which I totally envied - color and build); her build is the same as my red: solid.

thanks!

Jzero

I still can't believe nintendo can't freaking put wireless N on their damn devices (besides the Wii U) the standard is six years old already.

Is there any consensus regarding battery life on the NEW XL? I swear Ive played maybe 2 hours of Mm3D today and have the system in standby at work all day. I came home and did some mii plaza stuff and was surprised to have the red light come on.

Ive been playing with auto brightness, no power save, wifi etc all on.

I played Mario Kart for like three hours last night after having the system in sleep mode while at work for 7 hours and it lasted. Realistically, it didn't last that long to me since sleep mode barely drains any battery life at all. It's not the worst, but far from the best.

So after spending a few days with super stable 3d, it has become apparent that it triggers some painful headaches. I have never suffered from any physical reactions when playing games so this is a first. It takes a couple of hours after turning it off for my headache to settle but once i flip the system back on, it hits like a bag of bricks.

Thats unfortunate.
That sucks. Can you actually disable 'super stable' 3d and just revert to the old one?

gillty

Banned
That sucks. Can you actually disable 'super stable' 3d and just revert to the old one?

I believe if you drill down into the settings menu there is an option to disable it, although I would wonder if its more of a 3d thing that is giving him problems.

chumby

Neo Member
Does the n3DS improve the way DS games look vs the regular 3DS? Not asking if graphics are improved, but does the blurriness of playing a DS game on 3DS still occur?

I still can't believe nintendo can't freaking put wireless N on their damn devices (besides the Wii U) the standard is six years old already.

I leave wireless off on my 3DS because the 802.11g brings my 2.4GHz network down to g speeds. Really a shame. n would be more efficient, and potentially give better battery life, too, from rush to idle.

fernoca

Does the n3DS improve the way DS games look vs the regular 3DS? Not asking if graphics are improved, but does the blurriness of playing a DS game on 3DS still occur?
No improvement. Is part of the scaling, since screens are not 1:1, pixels are stretched.

Press/hold select while booting a DS game to play it natively. While sharper, image is smaller and with black bars. Though in an XL, the smaller image is nearly as big as the original DS.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
DS games will look as blurred on an XL, but far more vibrant than on previous 3DS thanks to the better screen.

Kssio_Aug

How much Nintendo usually charge for games in their digital store? 60 dollars for release titles, or there is any disccount?

Just bought one today. Is there a list of known defects I could check to exam the system for? I'd hate to set it up with the Micro-SD Card only to find something wrong.

Kssio_Aug

Full-price MSRP, with the rare 30% discount once in a lunar eclipse.

Thanks! Its better to buy physical copies then.

Well, I just sold my PS Vita + 13 PS3 games to a guy (sold it pretty cheap to him... but oh well, I hope its better then doing nothing with it). I may buy my New 3DS XL on monday now! =)

//ARCANUM

So I had this happen the other day with my New 3DS XL:

I was playing Smash and at the end of a match it gave me a full screen error saying I needed to reset the console. I do and it can no longer read the micro SD card... (I'm using a 32gb card that I was previously using (via adapter) in my OG 3DS XL.

I turn it back off an on a few times and then it can kinda read the micro sd card, it is showing my theme and the games but when i select one of the games, it errors out again.

So I unscrew (sigh) the back panel, verify the micro sd card is properly inserted (it is, hasn't popped out or anything). I pop it out, as well as the battery, wait about 10 seconds and then replace. Boot it up and everything is back to normal.

I've been playing a little bit here and there for the past couple days and am yet to have any issues.

What do you guys think? Should I be worried? Was it a fluke? Anyone else experienced anything similar? Am I dooooooooomed?

I have caved. I was going to hold out for more color choices but playing Monster Hunter has had me hungering for the N3ds' improvements. I'll be in a vicinity of a GameStop tonight so I have a red one on hold. It will be a long volunteer shift tonight before I can go home and do the system transfer.

I bought a bunch of eshop cards and on the subway noticed that one of them had already been scratched off. It still worked though, need to check next time.

Bought Fantasy Life... look forward to trying it! Gunman Clive 2 is neat too.

Playing 2D games is considerably comfortable using the XL model. My hands don't feel cramped, the D-pad is nicer, and it's overall just more comfortable. Playing Metroid for the first time ever has been super enjoyable. Only problem is its easy to notice the extended pixels on classic games!

//ARCANUM

Okay, so my order for the Hori Durafelx case or whatever was never updated from Amazon. I mean, no email no new date for shipment...nadda.

My Best Buy order says it will ship tomorrow (?) and get here by this coming Tuesday.

i went to try and cancel my japanese packaged one from amazon when i saw your post but it's shipping out today and won't let me cancel. i'll get it wednesday but unfortunately it was $22 :/ oh well.

gillty

Banned
Playing 2D games is considerably comfortable using the XL model. My hands don't feel cramped, the D-pad is nicer, and it's overall just more comfortable. Playing Metroid for the first time ever has been super enjoyable. Only problem is its easy to notice the extended pixels on classic games!

Select + Start while booting a virtual console title will give you a system border scaled to the properly resolution of the title.

500x1000px-ll-4d9b171quuy1.png

Vena

How much Nintendo usually charge for games in their digital store? 60 dollars for release titles, or there is any disccount?

3DS games are <40$, unless its an Atlus-tax title then it is 50$.

They do sales pretty regularly on the digital store, though, but just not for the major tentpoles.

bobawesome

I bought a bunch of eshop cards and on the subway noticed that one of them had already been scratched off. It still worked though, need to check next time.

Bought Fantasy Life... look forward to trying it! Gunman Clive 2 is neat too.

Fantasy Life is awesome so long as you ignore the story.

Jedi2016

Best Buy's still having supply issues overall. It's been three weeks since release, and I still don't have the unit I pre-ordered months ago. They have them "on order", but no one has any idea when they'll actually arrive.

Korosenai

Went to Walmart last night and saw two 3ds cases. One said works with New Nintendo 3DS XL and New Nintendo 3DS. The other one said just New Nintendo 3DS.

Nintendos trolling us North Americans hard.

Went to Walmart last night and saw two 3ds cases. One said works with New Nintendo 3DS XL and New Nintendo 3DS. The other one said just New Nintendo 3DS.

Nintendos trolling us North Americans hard.
Hm. I also came across a case there yesterday, but only listed for the NEW 3ds, and older. Apparently, an XL version wasn't available, and the Walmart employee said they weren't getting any more accessories in until May, lol.

That aside, anyone have luck finding the Hori TPU "duraflexi" case for the NEW 3ds xl in-store in the US? Best Buy sold-out online, and isn't going to be carrying them in-store, apparently.

Bought it as my first 3DS, i quite like the console but the power button location is dumb, it's also hard to press.

The DS Lite one (which i come from) was perfect in comparison.

Haint

What the fuck is going on with QC on the XL's in NA? Anyone else gone through multiple units due to manufacturing blemishes? First unit had a deep gash on the back, second had a dent in the carbon fiber design under the laminate dead front and center, third one has a ~5mm scratch or piece of lint under the top screen. This thing is way too expensive for this kind of stuff to be passing inspection.

gillty

Banned
Bought it as my first 3DS, i quite like the console but the power button location is dumb, it's also hard to press.

The DS Lite one (which i come from) was perfect in comparison.

Agreed. It's not very pleasant to press. I also hate that the cart slot is at the bottom.

How often are you guys powering off the system? I vastly prefer the n3DS XL power button location because it is more inaccessible.

I maybe will power it off once every few weeks, otherwise its in sleep mode, and then on the charging dock when not in use at home.

I got a Majora's Mask N3DS XL a couple of weeks back. It's been with Nintendo UK for repairs pretty much since then (C-nub wasn't registering down inputs correctly). It's such a nice piece of hardware other than that, but still, it's frustrating!
The Nintendo Service Centre over here doesn't even have the New 3DS' listed, so sending it in for repairs was a bit fraught. My console's listed on their system as a Link Between Worlds 3DS XL... I'm a little worried something's going to go south. Well, other than my C-nub, anyway.

I sold my original 3DS too, so I've got nothing to play Monster Hunter 4 on. Jonesin' real bad, guys.

Okay, so here's a question. I have two N3DS XL's. They are as such:

Black N3DS XL - This was the original. I did a system transfer from my old XL to this one. This has my original NNID on it. While I don't have a lot of purchases on this ID, I do have some.

Red N3DS XL - I just bought this system from someone on the forum. This has the seller's NNID on it, but they have relinquished all control of the account over to me. Password changed, e-mail changed, all that good stuff. Now, this account has a CRAP ton of games on it. We are talking 15+ full retail, popular games here.

So here's the question: Is there any way at all that I could merge these two systems together? I have no need for two N3DS XL's, but I kind of hate to lose either account. If I have to end up choosing, I'll definitely keep the Red N3DS's account, since it has soooo many more games on it, but I would rather not have to choose.

Caved and ordered a new 3ds xl off best buy. Was a le to get 10% off with a movers coupon. Here's hoping it shows up before GameStop changes it's trade in deal for my old 3ds xl

daxy

Okay, so here's a question. I have two N3DS XL's. They are as such:

Black N3DS XL - This was the original. I did a system transfer from my old XL to this one. This has my original NNID on it. While I don't have a lot of purchases on this ID, I do have some.

Red N3DS XL - I just bought this system from someone on the forum. This has the seller's NNID on it, but they have relinquished all control of the account over to me. Password changed, e-mail changed, all that good stuff. Now, this account has a CRAP ton of games on it. We are talking 15+ full retail, popular games here.

So here's the question: Is there any way at all that I could merge these two systems together? I have no need for two N3DS XL's, but I kind of hate to lose either account. If I have to end up choosing, I'll definitely keep the Red N3DS's account, since it has soooo many more games on it, but I would rather not have to choose.

Email Nintendo perhaps? AFAIK they're the only ones who can transfer your licences. Perhaps cover your account transfer with a bs story, not sure if they condone that.

Top Bottom