• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

11089761-1424975342-296322.jpg

Does anyone know anywhere online that is still selling Faceplate 23? Preferably in the UK.

This is so beautiful...

So, um, just HOW poorly will an Old 3DS screen protector fit on a New 3DS? As a temporary measure.

I live in the US, and imported both a New 3DS (non-XL) and a Hori screen protector. The New 3DS showed up more than a week ago, the screen protector seems to have been lost in the mail (tracking says it never even entered the US). Importing another screen protector will take a while, and I don't want my system to get scratched in the mean time...

Spades

Importing another screen protector will take a while, and I don't want my system to get scratched in the mean time...

I don't get why people are so paranoid that their screens will scratch. I've owned every 3DS system and have never had a scratched screen. Are you guys using a key instead of a stylus or something?!

I don't get why people are so paranoid that their screens will scratch. I've owned every 3DS system and have never had a scratched screen. Are you guys using a key instead of a stylus or something?!

My OG 3DS screen was scratched (this was back when the 3DS cost $250, so I was pretty devastated), and I don't want it to happen again. Scratches are a particularly large issue on the 3DS IMO because it really interferes with the 3D effect.

Kssio_Aug

I'm taking a look at Amazon.com and am not finding New 3DS XL NA models selling direct by them. Why is that? They need to replenish the stock?

I'm taking a look at Amazon.com and am not finding New 3DS XL NA models selling direct by them. Why is that? They need to replenish the stock?
Nintendo only shipped as many as the preorders amounts at first. I think by now, stores are getting more slowly. Might try your local Walmart or something.

Ecto311

Anyone have a recommendation on a carry case that holds games too? Was looking on Amazon and they all seem about the same right? No specific one that is the best?

This has been discussed several times. Yes, all XL models have slightly loose hinges (top screen slightly wobbles) and they can be slightly pushed left/right. This was probably done to prevent hinges from breaking.

I thought this too.

My MMXL had this issue. I handed it down to my son.

My nredXL is stiff, hinge wise.

The manager at GameStop (loved her red so much, I wanted one), has a stiff hinge too.

I thought the shift and flop was normal.

It isn't, it's just common.

Dont you all think the New 3DS (non-XL) model will be released later in NA?

I, for one, would love to see It. So that those who want it can get it, primarily.

But I would love to observe unhappiness at Nintendo before it, after and the morbid curiosity on if it will actually sell.

enewtabie

Picked up a Black Xl last night. Went into a gamestop in Durham and no problem. Just need a bigger memory card and the charging stand. 3d is really improved.

Probably been asked to death but can I do a transfer by saving the data from the original 3DS' SD card to a computer and moving it to the New 3DS?

kubus

Probably been asked to death but can I do a transfer by saving the data from the original 3DS' SD card to a computer and moving it to the New 3DS?
You still have to do the transfer process and then choose the copy via PC option (which does exactly what you describe). If you just put the contents of your SD card on your pc and then microSD and put that in your New 3DS without doing anything else, the data won't be recognized. It needs to do the actual transfer process.

You still have to do the transfer process and then choose the copy via PC option (which does exactly what you describe). If you just put the contents of your SD card on your pc and then microSD and put that in your New 3DS without doing anything else, the data won't be recognized. It needs to do the actual transfer process.
Ah man, so I can't trade in my 3DS beforehand.

I've seen a couple of un-boxings and reviews of the imported one, and it seems to be perfect. I haven't actually seen any of the US ones, but from the product descriptions and what I can tell, it looks to be a exact 1:1 copy. Only difference being the packaging. Let me know how yours is when it arrives tomorrow. ^^

Its out for delivery so will let you know once I receive it. Am glad that its see through that way it will show off the awesome red color 3ds xl that I have..and I already got refunded the 8 dollars from amazon making it now 12.99, same price as the US one

Hm, yeah, I'm waiting for that to appear on Gamestop's site. Best Buy here in the US shows a release date of 3/8 for these protectors.

Also, are there any cases/bags that can hold the NEW 3ds xl with the duraflexi on it (without it being too snug)?

CRA5H

Hm, yeah, I'm waiting for that to appear on Gamestop's site. Best Buy here in the US shows a release date of 3/8 for these protectors.

Also, are there any cases/bags that can hold the NEW 3ds xl with the duraflexi on it (without it being too snug)?
I'm trying find the answer to this question. I would assume these new 3DSXL cases would be a tiny bit larger by a few millimeters as well. From a business standpoint, I don't see HORI putting anymore money into resizing a case for a couple millimeters.

thenexus6

I have found a used in very good condition new Co for sale at £130. I had no plans on buying a DS but that's a really good price..what to do..

Can someone tell me what is so awesome about the HORI Duraflex Protectors? Is it that they are the first official protectors or is the material really good?

Can someone tell me what is so awesome about the HORI Duraflex Protectors? Is it that they are the first official protectors or is the material really good?
I'd say both.

But unfortunately, it seems to be mostly an online only item right now. Just phoned Best Buy, they confirmed the release date of 3/8, but said they won't be getting any in-store. And GameStop don't know anything at all about them.

Can't stand it when simple things like these are always delayed constantly and/or restricted to online only.

SGRX

I just thought I would chime in and share my experiences with the New 3DS XL and Nintendo's customer service.

I preordered the Majora's Mask XL from Best Buy and, as a backup, from Fry's, in case Best Buy screwed me (which they did). The Fry's order shipped on time, but for some unknown reason sat at a UPS hub in Vernon, CA for over a week, before moving on to be delivered at my home.

When I first powered the system on, the touchpad immediately went crazy, spamming whatever icon was in the lower right of the screen to the point that I couldn't even navigate the menus, or perform initial setup. After a lot of resets and screwing around, I was able to get into the settings eventually, and cleaned and recalibrated the screen, at which point it stopped registering input at all.

I confirmed with Fry's that they couldn't give me another of the same model, and got on the phone with Nintendo to initiate a repair order. I was apprehensive about the quality of their service after a few stories I've read on here, and also about sending in an LE and getting some random stock model back.

I sent out the system that night, and UPS routed it to Van Nuys, CA (20-30 minutes from the Chatsworth location)... and then sent it to Uniondale, NY. And then back to Van Nuys. Another week lost because UPS seems to be going senile. The entire company. Senile.

Nintendo received the system yesterday, fixed it yesterday (replaced the lower LCD), shipped it back out yesterday, and I received it this morning in perfect working order without a mark on it. I'm not sure how typical my experience is compared to the average repair, but I'm pretty impressed with the turnaround time on my first RMA with Nintendo. Looking forward to finishing the system transfer and finally playing some games.

My advice to prospective buyers: Use Fedex.

Koppai

I just thought I would chime in and share my experiences with the New 3DS XL and Nintendo's customer service.

I preordered the Majora's Mask XL from Best Buy and, as a backup, from Fry's, in case Best Buy screwed me (which they did). The Fry's order shipped on time, but for some unknown reason sat at a UPS hub in Vernon, CA for over a week, before moving on to be delivered at my home.

When I first powered the system on, the touchpad immediately went crazy, spamming whatever icon was in the lower right of the screen to the point that I couldn't even navigate the menus, or perform initial setup. After a lot of resets and screwing around, I was able to get into the settings eventually, and cleaned and recalibrated the screen, at which point it stopped registering input at all.

I confirmed with Fry's that they couldn't give me another of the same model, and got on the phone with Nintendo to initiate a repair order. I was apprehensive about the quality of their service after a few stories I've read on here, and also about sending in an LE and getting some random stock model back.

I sent out the system that night, and UPS routed it to Van Nuys, CA (20-30 minutes from the Chatsworth location)... and then sent it to Uniondale, NY. And then back to Van Nuys. Another week lost because UPS seems to be going senile. The entire company. Senile.

Nintendo received the system yesterday, fixed it yesterday (replaced the lower LCD), shipped it back out yesterday, and I received it this morning in perfect working order without a mark on it. I'm not sure how typical my experience is compared to the average repair, but I'm pretty impressed with the turnaround time on my first RMA with Nintendo. Looking forward to finishing the system transfer and finally playing some games.

My advice to prospective buyers: Use Fedex.
How are you sure its the same exact model? Me thinks Nintendo new how limited it was and probably kept some replacements as backups just in case. :p

SGRX

How are you sure its the same exact model? Me thinks Nintendo new how limited it was and probably kept some replacements as backups just in case. :p

I can't be 100% certain since there weren't any physical marks or imperfections on it, but the serial number is the same, and the phone rep and paperwork confirmed that the lower LCD had been replaced and same unit returned to me. I called them when I got an outbound tracking notice the same day they received the system, because at that point I was half expecting they had decided it was fine and sent it back as is.

gillty

Banned
Received my 2DS today (and new 3DS XL yesterday), for those interested: The Crystal 2DS (with PuyoPuyoTetris thanks to Regionthree), new 3DS XL, and 3DS XL Year of Luigi with the Hori TPU Case in Red.

16117988883_7a13b06e3f_o.png

ss_lemonade

Anyone else have issues pressing down on the cstick? I downloaded Ironfall to test it out and while other directions are manageable, pressing down requires way more pressure else it barely registers.

Top Bottom