• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Ecto311

Not sure if this was posted or linked but here are some neat things the system can do that you might not know. Stolen from reddit.
http://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/2og6g1/some_things_you_probably_dont_know_about_the_3ds/

Hello! I thought I'd compile a list of little-known things about the 3DS, some of which I've only come across recently. Some of them are really old tricks, like holding Start when you launch a Virtual Console title (I thought I'd include them in case some newer 3DS owners read this), but some are things that have only been included in a recent software update, or are exclusive to the New 3DS. Hopefully everyone finds at least one thing they didn't already know on this list- if not, I apologise.

Holding Start or Select whilst launching a DS, Game Boy or Game Boy Color game will cause the game to be displayed in its original size. Pretty straightforward, it displays the game smaller than usual, with a pixel ratio of 1:1 and a nice border if you're playing a Game Boy Virtual Console title.

By holding R and pressing L and Y, you can toggle the green background on Game Boy games and the controller input on NES games. Thanks to /u/guilhermemb for reminding me about this one in the comments.

Blowing into the microphone whilst in the 3DS's Home Menu causes the top screen's logo to spin. Very obvious, like I said, I'm including these for newer owners. Also, /u/FrankthePug added that the little Wi-Fi guy is hiding on the back of the System Settings logo, and can be seen when you spin it around.

Moving the Circle Pad during the Game and Watch visualiser in the Music Player allows you to take control of the Game and Watch game. Pretty cool, it also keeps score.
Shooting the Earth repeatedly in the AR Game's globe game causes the Earth to explode. Cool!

By positioning the 3DS too close to the clock in the clock AR Game, the screen will appear cracked when the the cuckoo bird pops out and hits it. Also, if the bird hits your screen multiple times, it will cause the screen to break and the bird will turn evil.

The screen brightness can be adjusted whilst playing DS games. To achieve this, press the Home button to bring you to the prompt as to whether or not you want to close the software. Then, whilst on that screen, hold Start and press the D-Pad to adjust the brightness. Up and Down adjusts brightness, whilst Left and Right toggle the power saving setting.

Holding B and Y in the 3DS's Home Menu launches a motion sensor calibration. Thanks to /u/thePokeCheese for adding this.

The System Settings and eShop icons can now be put into folders. If you don't use folders you probably won't know, but for a very long time the 3DS wouldn't let you to put
System Settings or the eShop icons into a folder. After a recent update though, you are now able to place these titles into folders.

You don't have to display letters on the folders you make. When you make a folder, the folder's icon will display the first letter of the folder's name. This is particularly annoying when you have a theme that puts its own logo on the folder also. To remove the letter from the folder's icon, simply put a space as the first letter of the folder's name. (Make sure to put an extra space at the end too, so that the name of the folder is properly centred.)

When you do a System Transfer, animated Pikmin "carry" your software from one 3DS to another. It's really neat, thanks to /u/stealthsock for reminding me.

Some Home Menu themes play sound effects when you open the 3DS from sleep mode. I'm sure many of you will already know this, but as someone who only uses sleep mode while half way though a game, it took me a while to notice this. By the way, anyone remember this from Drawn to Life on the DS?

Changing the language of the system will affect elements in some games you play. Sometimes the voice acting changes language too, thanks to /u/Numero5 for adding this one.

The New 3DS's web browser can play YouTube videos in 3D and supports HTML5. In case you missed the news, the browser on the New 3DS and New 3DS XL can directly play 3D YouTube videos. Regular videos play in much higher quality than the YouTube app too, and don't require nearly as much loading.

Japanese New 3DS consoles launch a hidden breakout game when you tap out the Super Mario Bros theme song. Japan only. Please understand.

The New 3DS's Super Stable 3D doesn't support some titles. That's right, when some games are launched, they display as if the Super Stable 3D was turned off. This gives them the same 3D effect as played on the original consoles. So far, I've noticed this with Nintendogs + Cats and the AR Games. I'm not sure exactly why this happens, or how many games it affects. Let me know if you've come across another game that does this. (By the way, it's been suggested in the comments that this is to due to the fact that Nintendogs + Cats uses the inward-facing camera for facial recognition, and therefore can't use the inward-facing camera for the Super-Stable 3D. Not sure about AR Games though, as it only uses the outward-facing cameras and seems to operate the same as Face Raiders, which does support the new 3D.)

That's about it. Thanks for reading and sorry if you already knew everything I said; hopefully some people find this insightful. If there's another little-known feature that I haven't written here, let me know, because it's probably something I don't know yet.
EDIT: Added things from comments.

_Isaac

Is it just me or does the 3d look more stable and just altogether better when you're playing in the dark? There seems to be less ghosting.

Owzers

I got a Majora's Mask N3DS XL a couple of weeks back. It's been with Nintendo UK for repairs pretty much since then (C-nub wasn't registering down inputs correctly). It's such a nice piece of hardware other than that, but still, it's frustrating!
The Nintendo Service Centre over here doesn't even have the New 3DS' listed, so sending it in for repairs was a bit fraught. My console's listed on their system as a Link Between Worlds 3DS XL... I'm a little worried something's going to go south. Well, other than my C-nub, anyway.

I sold my original 3DS too, so I've got nothing to play Monster Hunter 4 on. Jonesin' real bad, guys.
Can you test it out and report back after you get the repaired system? Mine has a c-stick that doesn't register down that well but it's serviceable, I don't want to send it in unless Nintendo can really improve it and I'd want to make sure I get my Zelda system and not a regular refurb.

Inotti

Can you test it out and report back after you get the repaired system? Mine has a c-stick that doesn't register down that well but it's serviceable, I don't want to send it in unless Nintendo can really improve it and I'd want to make sure I get my Zelda system and not a regular refurb.

You're supposed to press the c-stick like you're using a d-pad not push it to sides like you're using a circle-pad. Sometimes that's why people have trouble with it. :)

Danneee

So, just had a mail conversation with a rep from the swedish distributor of Nintendo products and he helped med unregister my NNID from the 3DS I sold a couple of months ago so I can link it to my new console.
All my purchased games will be downloadable on my new 3DS (as they are linked to the NNID) and the whole thing went smoother than I thought it would.

Why Nintendo doesn't do their account system like MS or Sony is strange as the seem to have everything in place for it to work.

big_z

got to play some majoras mask today on a demo unit. really surprised how far you can move the 3ds without breaking the 3d. I found it interesting the eye tracking gives the screen this type of effect when moving the 3ds. One thing I did notice though is that there is ghosting at both the far left and right sides of the screen. On my regular 3dsxl when I run into this problem I can turn the 3d down a bit to get rid of it but on the new3dsxl it was there no matter what setting of 3D was used. Has anyone else noticed this? The demo was ideal but I played with it for a while trying to solve the ghosting.

Why Nintendo doesn't do their account system like MS or Sony is strange as the seem to have everything in place for it to work.

im sure they'll have a proper account system with the next platforms.... they at least claim to be working on it.

Will do. The repairs site gives estimates as to when you're meant to get your system back - mine's been yo-yo-ing between one and seven days over the weekend. I'd hazard a guess I'll get it back this week sometime, but fuck knows, really.

arimanius

I couldn't hold out any longer and finally broke down and got a new black XL. My old XL was driving me nuts while playing MH4U and man is it night and day different. Load times, weight, joysticks, 3D, just everything. I'm still adjusting going from the circle pro to the c-stick but everything else is just butter.

I'm so happy I decided to cave. lol

This is really disappointing. After scrounging up a bit of credit I had left over, it seems my c-stick is defective. Now I need to wait 7 days to even return the thing and I wanted to relax by playing on it.

Not having good luck with Nintendo products lately.

NoRéN;155245450 said:
Care to give details?
It feels very loose on the system, discolors my red N3DSXL and is almost as much of a fingerprint magnet as the system itself. The one positive is that it does give the system a nice grip that is very comfortable.

I'm just gonna return it and hope a better case releases soon.

HooYaH

Oh Great, sent in my new 3ds xl to get my lcd screen replaced due to dead pixels and they replaced the wrong screen. Have to ship it out again for repairs.

Odrion

Banned
Well, after my old 3DS XL never falling victim to it, my New 3DS XL's top screen has gotten scratches from the bottom screen's border.

Seriously, four years and two iterations and it's still a thing? :|

Edzi

Well, after my old 3DS XL never falling victim to it, my New 3DS XL's top screen has gotten scratches from the bottom screen's border.

Yikes, seriously? Guess I'm never going to stop putting something between both screens when I close it. I seriously thought they fixed this though, since the top screen shouldn't really ever physically touch the bottom anymore. You sure you weren't just being exceptionally rough with it?

Edzi

It feels very loose on the system, discolors my red N3DSXL and is almost as much of a fingerprint magnet as the system itself. The one positive is that it does give the system a nice grip that is very comfortable.

I'm just gonna return it and hope a better case releases soon.

Ugh, it's actually loose? I thought those Amazon reviews were just people who didn't know what they were getting... How loose are we talking here? I don't mind the fingerprints, but I don't want to move around or to feel like it's always on the verge of coming off.

Okay, my anti-reflective glasses just came in, and now... the super-stable 3D sort of works. Unfortunately, it seems like any light behind me at all will completely screw it up. And since my lights are on my ceiling, I have to turn them off any time I want to play 3DS at home. I just have to hope that if I play it out and about, I won't have a light source behind me.

Ugh. I wish the super-stable 3D was a button on the home screen that I could press, instead of something in the settings menu that I have to close my entire game to get to. That way I could leave it on most of the time but turn it off quickly if I'm in an environment not suited for it.

Any ideas how? Was it because of the styles or closing the n3dsxl?

Nvm misread the post :p

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, my anti-reflective glasses just came in, and now... the super-stable 3D sort of works. Unfortunately, it seems like any light behind me at all will completely screw it up. And since my lights are on my ceiling, I have to turn them off any time I want to play 3DS at home. I just have to hope that if I play it out and about, I won't have a light source behind me.

Ugh. I wish the super-stable 3D was a button on the home screen that I could press, instead of something in the settings menu that I have to close my entire game to get to. That way I could leave it on most of the time but turn it off quickly if I'm in an environment not suited for it.

I don't have any issues with a light being on behind me or above me--whether I have my contacts in, or my glasses with AR coating.

Have you got a chance to try out any other New 3DSs to see if it's just how it works for you or if the super stable 3D is perhaps faulty on your unit?

Kssio_Aug

What are the chances of it being true?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Ni...510?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd3b05d1e

I just bought a New 3DS XL, and need now to buy a charger since I never had a 3DS before. I'm quite insecure about buying a generic one, and I can't find a original from Nintendo here in Brazil, I found this one in ebay.

Is that price believable? If it is, I may order this, cause I have not found a better price without an expensive delivery rate.

Vol5

Seems like a decent enough place to post this I suppose.

Waiting for my local shop to stock the n3ds but they are useless and don't know when stock will arrive, so....couldn't help myself and bought a plain 3ds xl having never sampled the games. I'm absolutely blown away by the system. So good actually that my boy can keep the 3ds xl and I'll get a n3ds xl when they are back in stock. Seriously this system scratches that gaming itch so well.

Out of Zelda, Mario land and Luigis mansion I'd say the dark moon is the most impressive game so far. I nearly lost it when Luigi starting humming the music. And the 3d really works well, for all the games in fact. Bravo Nintendo. What a console.

_woLf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Ni...510?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd3b05d1e

I just bought a New 3DS XL, and need now to buy a charger since I never had a 3DS before. I'm quite insecure about buying a generic one, and I can't find a original from Nintendo here in Brazil, I found this one in ebay.

Is that price believable? If it is, I may order this, cause I have not found a better price without an expensive delivery rate.

It's $6 shipping. I'd say it's probably legit.

Ugh, it's actually loose? I thought those Amazon reviews were just people who didn't know what they were getting... How loose are we talking here? I don't mind the fingerprints, but I don't want to move around or to feel like it's always on the verge of coming off.
Well it just feels a bit flimsy and not very tightly secured. I doubt it would actually just come off on its own. I never had the original Hori case but apparently it was a much tighter fit and had little hooks that went directly into the top of the system. This one doesn't have that at all and just kind of slips on.

Ianan

Does Nintendo ever rune sales on the E-Store as good as PSN? I'm wanting some new 3DS games but pretty much everything I want is £40 =/.

CRA5H

The n3dsxl doesn't have the two holes that the OG 3dsxl had.. Only the one for the strap. The new hori duraflexi doesn't have anything at the back top to hook on to which means it's only holding on due to it's fit and the 4 tabs. I notice the looseness sometimes but my fingers are holding it in place a majority of the time. Its not a deal breaker by any means. It looks great on my MH4U version.

Edzi

Does anyone know of a decently sized traveling bag for the N3DSXL? I want something that's not too huge, but big enough to securely hold my 3DS, charger, and this Hori game card case. I've almost given up on trying to find something made specifically for the N3DS, so I'm considering looking for a more generic option that might do the trick.

Why buy an AC charger when you can get a usb cable charger?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291037508932?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT -3.5ft

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151557779734?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT - 6ft

I've bought both of these for my old 3ds XL and they work great with my Anker usb charger and power packs. Haven't gotten a chance to try it with the new 3ds xl but I'm sure they'll work fine (my new 3ds xl shows up in a few days)

ss_lemonade

This shouldn't even be possible anymore because there are these little bumps on the top screen that touch the lower screen's borders, making it impossible for the 2 screens to make contact

-Tanooki-

Neo Member
Thanks for the link to the charging cable. $9 is worth it. I tend to just have the lame cable wrapped around the neck of a desk lamp on this table and just leave it hanging there, then run the cable into my zip case the system sits in when it needs some juice. This is far more handy.

I've been burning the battery a bit lately on Shin Megami Tensei IV and Ocarina of Time 3D the last few weeks.

I surprised myself buying the system anyway when I did (valentines day.) I found one left in town, across town, they held it. But I went in wanting to look and the display unit blew me away so I went for it. I was going to wait for Xenoblade, but when I saw how I didn't have to robotically use 3D (I've left it off the last 2 years) so it was stable, the speed increase overall to the system and games(smash) that'll see it, the better louder audio, better display quality, I had to have it. Thankfully the system was black, I'd have taken red but it wasn't my first choice as my 3DS XL was that. I really didn't lose much, had 2 new screens on the 3DSXL I had anyway with no marks, all the box and contents too, so after selling it I was down like the cost of a PS4 game. :D

Odrion

Banned
This shouldn't even be possible anymore because there are these little bumps on the top screen that touch the lower screen's borders, making it impossible for the 2 screens to make contact

The scratches are on the bottom part of the screen, the farthest away from the bumps. I'm not keeping this in my pocket either.

Why is system transfer the slowest shit in the world? It's been 3 hours and i'm at 25%.. Well, at least I assume I am because Nintendo seems to be afraid of proper progress bars. If I cancel what happens? Can I just drag the files from the SD card to the computer to the Micro SD card? I'm honestly getting fed up of watching these slow little shits run across my screen.

It's also irritating that I have to keep switching the AC adapter between 3DS's because Nintendo pulled one of the greasiest moves I've ever seen a company do by not including an AC adapter. Like I had completely forgotten about that until I opened the box and there was nothing in there but a manual, the console and a pack of AR cards.. Anyways, system transfer has made me hate Pikmin.. Congratulations Nintendo.

ss_lemonade

The scratches are on the bottom part of the screen, the farthest away from the bumps. I'm not keeping this in my pocket either.
I guess that's possible with some units, seeing how tight it gets there. I checked mine just now and it looks like mine is safe
Why is system transfer the slowest shit in the world? It's been 3 hours and i'm at 25%.. Well, at least I assume I am because Nintendo seems to be afraid of proper progress bars. If I cancel what happens? Can I just drag the files from the SD card to the computer to the Micro SD card? I'm honestly getting fed up of watching these slow little shits run across my screen.

It's also irritating that I have to keep switching the AC adapter between 3DS's because Nintendo pulled one of the greasiest moves I've ever seen a company do by not including an AC adapter. Like I had completely forgotten about that until I opened the box and there was nothing in there but a manual, the console and a pack of AR cards.. Anyways, system transfer has made me hate Pikmin.. Congratulations Nintendo.
I agree with the charger issue. My 3ds died in the middle of the transfer because it ran out of battery. Thankfully, its like nothing happened lol. The new 3ds still had nothing on it even after hours of it getting stuff from my old 3ds. I moved the charger to the new one and just deleted stuff I didn't need (demos, trailers, etc) to speed up the transfer

Top Bottom