• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

So I got my Majora's Mask N3DS XL back from the Nintendo UK Service Centre just now. Sent it in for C-Stick related funkiness (here's a short video showing how the down-contact was a bit on the temperamental side; please excuse my flu-addled nose).

To cut a long story short, on first blush it seems like the issue has been totally remedied. I got the same unit back that I sent in, as unblemished as it was when I sent it, and the C-Stick now seems to work properly in all four directions. Apparently they replaced the component, but it looks like the board hasn't been touched, so I'm guessing it's something to do with the rubber of the C-Stick itself having not made proper contact. Not sure, but hey - it's fixed now, and that's what counts!

I'm not going to speak definitively for other territories, but I would say if you're having continuing C-Stick problems, it's probably worth sending in. Definitely, if you're in the UK - they really did a sterling job.

After checking out your video I tested my own MM 3DS XL and I have the same problem. I always thought the C-Stick was a bit too hard to use. Guess I'll have to send it in.

Edzi

I just put on my Hori duraflexi case, and this thing is great. I'm no longer paranoid about scuffing up my MM 3ds, and as an added bonus the case gives the 3ds a way better grip, so its actually comfortable to hold now.

//ARCANUM

I just put on my Hori duraflexi case, and this thing is great. I'm no longer paranoid about scuffing up my MM 3ds, and as an added bonus the case gives the 3ds a way better grip, so its actually comfortable to hold now.

does yours have the weird "carbon fiber-ish" material that I described in my post previously? (see pics)

jaosobno

After checking out your video I tested my own MM 3DS XL and I have the same problem. I always thought the C-Stick was a bit too hard to use. Guess I'll have to send it in.

Again, to you and to any gaffer out there believing they are experiencing C-Stick issues, try this first and then send your console in for repair:

Turn your N3DS upside down so that the top screen is now facing you. With your left hand, press C-Stick UP (this, in normal positioning, is DOWN direction). Most of you will probably realize that you were applying uneven pressure in downward direction (you were probably pushing it more to sides).

I experienced the same thing, only to realize that the C-Stick itself was perfectly fine. The issue was with my thumb, more precisely, with the direction I was pressing C-Stick in. It's much easier to perform precise vertical movement in upward direction, that it is in downward direction when you use your thumb.

Danneee

After the new owner high eased up a little I notice some serious ghosting in some games. Especially the Nano Assault demo, on the verge of being unplayable.

hoserx

Nice! As I mentioned, I'm fairly shocked at how fast they shipped from Japan.

yeah mine is already scheduled to be here today.......there's no way they are shipping from Japan. I think they already have some over here......mine came out of Kentucky yesterday at 4:40pm (est).

jaosobno

yeah mine is already scheduled to be here today.......there's no way they are shipping from Japan. I think they already have some over here......mine came out of Kentucky yesterday at 4:40pm (est).

I bought my Hori TPU from eBay. Shipped from Japan (via Japan Post), arrived in EU in less than a week. I was stunned since I expected it to take at least 2-3 weeks (even the seller warns that EU takes 2-4 weeks).

Kssio_Aug

All of these C-Stick cases in the last page, made me a bit worried. I've ordered a Black New 3DS XL, hopefully I won't have any problem with it.
Still, the console is almost out of stock everywhere... so I guess that by the number of sold units its safe to assume its a very stable console?

Thanks!

Also guys, I forgot this thing came with a cstick and...I don't know what it's supposed to feel like; it doesn't move when I touch it. What am I doing wrong?
It's not supposed to move. It's like one of those nubs in the middle of the keyboard you get on some laptops.

So, someone just told me that you can't transfer from a N3DS back to a OG 3DS XL. Is that true?

If so, I'm kind of screwed, because I'm selling my N3DS and was planning to just transfer my NNID back to my OG XL. Is there anything else I can do?

Edit: What if I deleted the NNID on my current system? Would that just delete it from the system, but still be available in Nintendo's systems? That way, whenever I get another N3DS, I could just reuse my old NNID?

So, someone just told me that you can't transfer from a N3DS back to a OG 3DS XL. Is that true?

If so, I'm kind of screwed, because I'm selling my N3DS and was planning to just transfer my NNID back to my OG XL. Is there anything else I can do?

Nope, can't transfer back to an OG 3DS or XL. Don't know why you can't do it, but it's not possible.

Also, for anyone looking for a skin for the New 3DS XL, Amazon seems to have the Skinomi skins with Prime Shipping at the moment. It's the cheapest option right now, and practically the only ones on the market. Have one installed on both my Majora's and Monster Hunter New 3DS XLs and they're perfect.

Link for those that are interested.

Edit: What if I deleted the NNID on my current system? Would that just delete it from the system, but still be available in Nintendo's systems? That way, whenever I get another N3DS, I could just reuse my old NNID?

There have been plenty of horror stories where deleting your NNID off of your 3DS removes it from their servers and your Wii U (if you have one). If you're getting another new 3DS soon, your best option is probably to wait and transfer from the black one to the next one before selling...as ridiculous as that sounds.
...also, yes, I'm aware this advice potentially affects our current pending sale, haha.

arimanius

So will Nintendo fix the scratch glass is or that just something I'll have to live with for the rest of my life? I've never sent a system in before but sounds like it's a painless process.

There have been plenty of horror stories where deleting your NNID off of your 3DS removes it from their servers and your Wii U (if you have one). If you're getting another new 3DS soon, your best option is probably to wait and transfer from the black one to the next one before selling...as ridiculous as that sounds.
...also, yes, I'm aware this advice potentially affects our current pending sale, haha.

Hahaha no, this actually has nothing to do with our sale. Well, it kind of did, since I was planning to eventually transfer my old NNID to your system, but that's not really the problem.

1) My original NNID is on the new 3DS XL system, after a system transfer.

2) I got an amazing deal from someone on here for another New 3DS XL. The deal included ownership transfer of his NNID, which has a ton of retail games on it. As such, I'm going to be using his NNID from now on.

3) I've already got someone willing to buy the first N3DS XL system.

I only have a few downloaded games on the original NNID, including MH4U (I don't like it anyway), so it's not a huge deal, but I still hate to just flat out lose it.

So I got my Majora's Mask N3DS XL back from the Nintendo UK Service Centre just now. Sent it in for C-Stick related funkiness (here's a short video showing how the down-contact was a bit on the temperamental side; please excuse my flu-addled nose).

Just tested and mine has the same problem but slightly better, it can get to the bottom but it goes up eventually.

For fuck's sake Nintendo, where is your QA? This + tint on the screen, sigh.

Edzi

Guys, make sure you try the upside down test for the c stick that's been mentioned a few times in this thread. I have a feeling that most of these reports of faulty c sticks are complete non issues.

Just tested and mine has the same problem but slightly better, it can get to the bottom but it goes up eventually.

For fuck's sake Nintendo, where is your QA? This + tint on the screen, sigh.
I reckon there's been a drop in Nintendo's build quality DS Lite onwards, probably taking shortcuts / cheaper methods to cut costs, at the cost of hardware not being as awesome as it used to be.

I reckon there's been a drop in Nintendo's build quality DS Lite onwards, probably taking shortcuts / cheaper methods to cut costs, at the cost of hardware not being as awesome as it used to be.

I saw many DS Lites with problems on the hinges, but goddamn mine was a brick. It went 100% underwater, fell off a car, plus many other injuries. And it still works (kinda, but works).

I miss the Game Boy though, that was insane.

Can anyone say from experience that aside from MH4, do any other games perform and look better? I can't believe they still only announced xenoblade but I guess e3 might reveal some new software. I'm just finding it hard to justify buying this thing right now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Can anyone say from experience that aside from MH4, do any other games perform and look better? I can't believe they still only announced xenoblade but I guess e3 might reveal some new software. I'm just finding it hard to justify buying this thing right now.

Smash Bros is another game that benefits.

But it's not just about the games. The unit feels like a worthy upgrade, especially if you're going from the OG to the n3DS. Better build, better 3D, small things like the volume slider being moved... just an overall better looking system.

Villager

Neo Member
my n3ds c-stick works fine thank god, i didnt want to have to deal with sending it in. the cstick just felt natural especially using it for the camera in MM. i havent read any horror stories but you never know.

I think they should've included a little give to the c-stick, I feel like people might accidentally break it in the effort to try to get it to move. Most people havent had experience with that little laptop trackpad nub that was popular in the early 00s.

Smash Bros is another game that benefits.

But it's not just about the games. The unit feels like a worthy upgrade, especially if you're going from the OG to the n3DS.

It is so much easier to preform special moves with the C-Stick. Graphics are a lot less choppy as well.

hoserx

My HORI Duraflexi Clear Protector for Nintendo NEW 3DS XL still has not even shipped from amazon, whatttttttttttttt

it WONT be for a long time. Do what I and others in this thread did...... tell them you pre-ordered it... and that you see tha japanese version is available and in stock and is the same exact item...They gave me the japanese one for the cost of the american one and 1-day shipped it for free.

jorgejjvr

it WONT be for a long time. Do what I and others in this thread did...... tell them you pre-ordered it... and that you see tha japanese version is available and in stock and is the same exact item...They gave me the japanese one for the cost of the american one and 1-day shipped it for free.

ill try that thanks

link to japanese version?

Anyone?

I dont see it in amazon

hoserx

ill try that thanks

link to japanese version?

Anyone?

I dont see it in amazon

linked many times in this thread, but:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NFCCOMW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

looks great on the MM3DSXL
6dB54Sx.jpg

jorgejjvr

linked many times in this thread, but:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NFCCOMW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

looks great on the MM3DSXL
Thank you, hopefully they do the same for me, the previous guy i talked to awhile back never offered me that option. I've been waiting for so long, now im going after then for this....

and sorry man, i have not come to this thread often, i guess i should have since ive been dying to get mine, thanks again

the case looks great! how does it feel? the grip?

hoserx

Thank you, hopefully they do the same for me, the previous guy i talked to awhile back never offered me that option. I've been waiting for so long, now im going after then for this....

and sorry man, i have not come to this thread often, i guess i should have since ive been dying to get mine, thanks again

the case looks great! how does it feel? the grip?

It feels great. I'll know more after some monster hunting later this evening.

jorgejjvr

It feels great. I'll know more after some monster hunting later this evening.

Hey he is asking me for an account or order number that this was done with?? he told me he can give me the shipment speed but not the same price, but that he will honor it if i prove this was done before

"I see. If you will be able to provide an account or an order that was honored for the price difference, I'll be glad to confirm it and see if I will be able to honor it as well."

Them bastards....im on live chat with them right now

I would REALLY appreciate the help

Maybe email or order number will do it? I know this is sudden, to help a total stranger, I understand if its asking too much

Doombear

Exactly what they did for me as well. For what it is worth, I got it yesterday and really quite like it. I was getting worried with the 'too loose' comments here and elsewhere but I find it to be just fine.

Only thing is it adds just enough width to be quite a rough fit in my Waterfield case so I am trying to stretch the fabric out a bit on that. Other non-problem problem is that I use this guy from time to time, so I have to remove the back bit of the TPU.

joeposh

Any hints or indications of a Xenoblade or other special edition New 3DS XL on the horizon? I have credit now at Gamestop, but really don't like the look of the black or red editions.

Hey he is asking me for an account or order number that this was done with?? he told me he can give me the shipment speed but not the same price, but that he will honor it if i prove this was done before

"I see. If you will be able to provide an account or an order that was honored for the price difference, I'll be glad to confirm it and see if I will be able to honor it as well."

Them bastards....im on live chat with them right now

I would REALLY appreciate the help

Maybe email or order number will do it? I know this is sudden, to help a total stranger, I understand if its asking too much

Well did you preorder? If so it should have an order number on it when you check "Your Orders" on amazon.

jorgejjvr

Well did you preorder? If so it should have an order number on it when you check "Your Orders" on amazon.

yep, i had it pre ordered

"I do understand your concern Jorge, since there are no actual errors from our end and the item you would like to purchase is a different version and sold by a seller but fulfilled by Amazon, I am unable to honor the price difference. "

Still with him on live chat...he wants proof..

I find myself using my pinkies to hold the bottom of the n3DS XL, which means i occasionally press the power button by accident and panic thinking my system is crashing.

I need to figure out a better way to hold this thing.

IronRinn

I wasn't able to get this, but I did get an additional free month of Prime.

Ceezsa

Yay worked for me. Just CHATed with Amazon and they will refund my account the difference. Only issue is I have to be charged first but she assured me I would be refunded when the order ships. So an order of 51.98 will be credits 26 bux to be 25.98. I ordered two. One for my Monster Hunter and One for my wife's Majora's Mask.

jorgejjvr

guys...guys...now he says:

"We aren't able to process refunds for seller items because sellers set their own pricing rate and not directly Amazon."

I'll still take email or order number as proof if anyone is willing to help!! Plzzzzz

ultrazilla

If anyone is still having trouble finding these, I went into my local Meijers the other day and they had 6 black and 6 red New 3DSs on the shelf. So check your local Meijers.

I've got a 33 dollar eshop balance with Code Name: Steam's name on it. :)

Top Bottom