• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

I agree with the charger issue. My 3ds died in the middle of the transfer because it ran out of battery. Thankfully, its like nothing happened lol. The new 3ds still had nothing on it even after hours of it getting stuff from my old 3ds. I moved the charger to the new one and just deleted stuff I didn't need (demos, trailers, etc) to speed up the transfer

I might actually just do that and delete everything off the old one. As long as the licenses transfer I'd just be able to redownload everything from the store.

-Tanooki-

Neo Member
Another possible option if you have the pieces. Take the existing 3DS SD card out, transfer to PC, then use adapter+micro sd and put the data on there. Only after transferring your permissions from the old to new.

Recently I got a cheap 32GB micro sd card and all I had to do was copy the 4 to the PC, then drop that folder on the 32 and it was like I never touched it as everything was fine.

Well, after my old 3DS XL never falling victim to it, my New 3DS XL's top screen has gotten scratches from the bottom screen's border.

Seriously, four years and two iterations and it's still a thing? :|
Are you kidding me? My original 3ds was scratched to shit and my XL, which they said shouldn't have scratches had lighter ones. I figured by now the New XL would be sorted, guess I'll put the foam cushions on my new one when I get it just to be safe.

That's unfortunate.

Bog

Junior Ace
Ordered the Hori case from Amazon and Best Buy but both say nearly a month to ship now. Is anyone else carrying this?

NoRéN

What are the chances of it being true?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Ni...510?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd3b05d1e

I just bought a New 3DS XL, and need now to buy a charger since I never had a 3DS before. I'm quite insecure about buying a generic one, and I can't find a original from Nintendo here in Brazil, I found this one in ebay.

Is that price believable? If it is, I may order this, cause I have not found a better price without an expensive delivery rate.

You could avoid the risks and get it directly from amazon for $1 more.
http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-XL-AC-Adapter/dp/B00L59D9HG

//ARCANUM

As promised, here are my opinions on the japanese Hori TPU case for New 3DS XL:

This is the one I purchased: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NFCCOMW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Iyh8et5.jpg
lu6Xwvp.jpg
lKmWE1H.jpg
bbDoSuF.jpg

So it's not the greatest thing in the world. It has a strange material to it that the previous version for the OG 3DS XL didn't have. I don't really know how to explain it, almost feels like they tried to have their own version of the "carbon fiber" look that is on the n3DS XL itself. That probably doesn't make much sense but it is hard to describe. Basically this thing is not crystal clear. I think what I am talking about can best be seen in the photo of the top of the n3DS XL (where the charger port is). That is not weird photo processing, that's what the case looks like.

The previous version was able to snap in to the openings on the OG 3DS XL, since there are no openings on this one, it kind of just rests on there. I never felt like it was going to fall off while playing it, it feels tight enough that it's not going to damage the device but won't come off through normal usage.

It was comfortable to hold and removed that feeling of delicacy that the n3DS has (or maybe that's just me wanting to be super careful with my new toy).

Also - the n3DS XL with this case on still fits inside my Persona Q case, very important for me. YMMV on other cases. (Mine just barely fits, but it does fit without any struggle.)

Ultimately I am going to keep this case on my n3DS XL because I feel safer with it on. It's not the greatest thing in the world but it gets the job done. Happy to answer any specific questions if there are any.

(I ordered it on Friday, I believe, and it arrived today with Prime shipping.)

edit - actually if you zoom in on any of the photos you can see the weird material thing I was talking about, it really feels like they were going for their own "carbon fiber" look. it's strange but not a deal breaker.

double edit - it looks like this is currently not available for prime shipping right now, so YMMV on how quickly you can get it.

jrDev

Hey guys,

So I just got my n3DS free from the gamestop trade in promotion and I'm in love with the system. The thing is that I need a clear case for it but I can't find any. Any ideas anyone?

Also I learned that the sd card slot is now locked away in the back and while checking that noticed the replaceable battery section, so where to buy a longer battery pack?

Thanks.

Edit: just noticed the above post.

//ARCANUM

Hey guys,

So I just got my n3DS from the gamestop trade in promotion and I'm in love with the system. The thing is that I need a clear case for it but I can't find any. Any ideas anyone?

Also I learned that the sd card slot is now locked away in the back and while checking that noticed the replaceable battery section, so where to buy a longer battery pack?

Thanks.

see above for clear case info ;)

Frustrating trying to find accessories for my New N3DS XL locally in-store here in Michigan (and everywhere else across the states apparently).

No Hori TPU case. No dedicated pouches or carrying cases (don't want to use ones for older models that fit the system too snug and press down on the shoulder triggers, among other things)

Lesson learned--never again am I going to buy new Nintendo handhelds until at least 2 months after launch.

Lesson learned--never again am I going to buy new Nintendo handhelds until at least 2 months after launch.

My Nintendo rule: buy their games asap if you want it, can afford it and buzz isn't negative, as prices rarely drop and you never know when production halts. Consoles? Wait. (Thanks for the harsh lesson, 3DS launch!)

Why yes, I have bought Nintendo games while not having had the console yet. :p

My Nintendo rule: buy their games asap if you want it, can afford it and buzz isn't negative, as prices rarely drop and you never know when production halts. Consoles? Wait. (Thanks for the harsh lesson, 3DS launch!)

Why yes, I have bought Nintendo games while not having had the console yet. :p
Lol yeah. I should adhere to that lesson as well.

My reason for this one though, is that apparently, Nintendo licensed third-party accessories (like cases, bags etc) are almost never available alongside system launches, at least locally and in-store in the US, anyway. I heard this issue happened when the "old" 3DS XL launched, too.

Tom_Cody

I finally got my official charging cradle in from Amazon UK last night and I'm extremely happy with it. Given the XL's glossy exterior, I have been very careful about what surfaces I have set it down on to avoid scuffing. I'm very happy that it has a new permanent home in my apartment.

Help ! Just got my New 3DS but I have problems with Sleepmode.
It cant get it out of Sleepmode when its downloading games.
I have hold the powerbutton to reset everything again, anyone got the same problem ??

bobawesome

The original 3DS was also pretty bad when it came to launch accessories from what I remember. I got saddled with a dinky clear case that wouldn't properly fit the system. It would pop off after a few minutes. Worst $15 I've ever spent as I still remember it nearly 4 years later.

Tom_Cody

I run across this article reviewing SF bags/waterfield cases for the n3ds/n3ds xl. It looks nice but damn pricey.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/02/accessory_review_waterfield_new_nintendo_3ds_and_xl_cases
Thanks for the link. Those look really nice.

The CitySlicker looks like it would be best fit for me, but there are a few downsides:
http://www.sfbags.com/collections/nintendo-3ds-cases/products/nintendo-3ds-xl-cityslicker-case

-I'm 100% digital at this point, so the pocket/sleeves would be left empty. It would be nice if they had a clean version of it like they do with the suede jacket.

-The snaps make me uneasy. Every time you close the case you will be putting concentrated pressure onto the screen. As someone who had a 3DS screen break, this is a negative for me.

-There is no pass-through for the streetpass light. The little cutaway on the charging cradle is so simple and logical. This should be a given on 3DS cases.
MEepgON.png

Still, this is by far the nicest looking 3DS case I've come across. I might have to consider upgrading from the simple bag I got from Club Nintendo a few years ago.

mfiuza

I'm planning on going to Orlando next month. Can anyone tell me if its easy to find New 3ds in stores like walmart, or best buy or are they sold out? Or is there another better place to buy?

Zimmy68

In the Tampa area, no more shortages that I have seen.
When I traded in my 3DS XL this weekend the guy at Gamestop told me they had plenty.

The one place I always see stock is Target so check there also.

mfiuza

In the Tampa area, no more shortages that I have seen.
When I traded in my 3DS XL this weekend the guy at Gamestop told me they had plenty.

The one place I always see stock is Target so check there also.

Great, I'll be looking at Florida Mall, since there's a Best Buy and Target. Thanks

arimanius

Yikes, seriously? Guess I'm never going to stop putting something between both screens when I close it. I seriously thought they fixed this though, since the top screen shouldn't really ever physically touch the bottom anymore. You sure you weren't just being exceptionally rough with it?

I got my 3DS XL Sunday. Only closed it once with out the foam slip they ship with it and it scratched the top of the screen on the bottom. About a finger nail size.

So it only takes once. I'm pretty upset about it.

-Tanooki-

Neo Member
Nintendo has designed these DS systems since the beginning with that flaw and it makes me wonder why they refuse to remedy it. I learned long ago you need something in there that's scratch resistant and flat in there to help because any compression of the case causes the bottom screen frame to scratch up the top one as can the thumb stick too.

I use a thin silk glasses wipe folded over inside of mine like the wipe that came in the hard back pokemon x/y guide last year. Ever since I started placing that in there, never a problem since.

Can you test it out and report back after you get the repaired system? Mine has a c-stick that doesn't register down that well but it's serviceable, I don't want to send it in unless Nintendo can really improve it and I'd want to make sure I get my Zelda system and not a regular refurb.

So I got my Majora's Mask N3DS XL back from the Nintendo UK Service Centre just now. Sent it in for C-Stick related funkiness (here's a short video showing how the down-contact was a bit on the temperamental side; please excuse my flu-addled nose).

To cut a long story short, on first blush it seems like the issue has been totally remedied. I got the same unit back that I sent in, as unblemished as it was when I sent it, and the C-Stick now seems to work properly in all four directions. Apparently they replaced the component, but it looks like the board hasn't been touched, so I'm guessing it's something to do with the rubber of the C-Stick itself having not made proper contact. Not sure, but hey - it's fixed now, and that's what counts!

I'm not going to speak definitively for other territories, but I would say if you're having continuing C-Stick problems, it's probably worth sending in. Definitely, if you're in the UK - they really did a sterling job.

If you have a red *new* Nintendo 3DS XL & you get the Majora's Mask battery cover kit for $12.00 you can sport this cool Famicom look.

Here's the link for ordering the backplate replacements:

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod560313

Also, check out this GameStop Mega Bundle:

http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/consoles/nintendo-new-3ds-xl-majoras-mask-massive-bundle/120740

At this rate, they'll just keep adding more stuff and bumping the price up.

Veal

So I got my Majora's Mask N3DS XL back from the Nintendo UK Service Centre just now. Sent it in for C-Stick related funkiness (here's a short video showing how the down-contact was a bit on the temperamental side; please excuse my flu-addled nose).

To cut a long story short, on first blush it seems like the issue has been totally remedied. I got the same unit back that I sent in, as unblemished as it was when I sent it, and the C-Stick now seems to work properly in all four directions. Apparently they replaced the component, but it looks like the board hasn't been touched, so I'm guessing it's something to do with the rubber of the C-Stick itself having not made proper contact. Not sure, but hey - it's fixed now, and that's what counts!

I'm not going to speak definitively for other territories, but I would say if you're having continuing C-Stick problems, it's probably worth sending in. Definitely, if you're in the UK - they really did a sterling job.
Wow I have this same problem! Thought maybe it was how I was using the c stick! Definitely sending mine in!

Owzers

Your video is about what's wrong with mine, down isn't maintained very well. Maybe i'll send mine in...it's usable and i don't play 3ds much as it is, let alone with games that need it. I got time...

jaosobno

About that c-stick problem, try turning your console upside down and then see if you all still have these problems. I thought that my c-stick was messed up until I did that. I learned that I wasn't applying the pressure properly (I was pushing it more to sides than down).

Anyways, my Hori TPU case arrived today. It's good, but not the best thing out there. It fits OK, but it's not snug as I expected it to be (doesn't feel like it will fall off, but I expected it to be tighter). Good thing is that it allows me to grip my NXL much more comfortable than before. 7/10.

Edzi

Your video is about what's wrong with mine, down isn't maintained very well. Maybe i'll send mine in...it's usable and i don't play 3ds much as it is, let alone with games that need it. I got time...

I'm starting to think that this might not be that big of an issue. I thought for a second my down input was weak too, but then I held my 3ds upside down and tried pressing the c nub down (well, technically up) again, and it worked fine. I think for some people, it just has to do with how much pressure your thumb can put on the nub when going downward.

EDIT: gg jaosobno, gg.

dedhead54

Just dropped my black N3DSXL off at UPS to go back for repairs. Two dead/stuck pixels on the top screen and some pretty obnoxious wrinkling effect on the bottom screen. Nintendo rep I talked to on the phone the other day was extremely friendly and helpful. One of the more pleasant customer service calls I've ever made, for sure.

Bummed I didn't quite get to finish OoT3D before I sent the system back. It's going to be a tough wait for it to get back so I can finish.

Best Buy pushed back the release date for the HORI TPU case to 3/29. Ridiculous.

Meanwhile, EB games stores across Canada seem to have plenty of stock of them in-store, but Gamestop equivalent in the US there's nothing.

I really don't want to pay double to import from Japan where it'll take a month to get here. No, using Amazon Prime is not an option for me.

Vena

I wonder how a MMXL with a black back would look. I think it might actually end up looking better than the normal one.

//ARCANUM

dang the gold backplate is on backorder.... might place an order anyway... wonder if it will come through.

edit - i placed an order for the gold zelda backplate, even though its on backorder. anyone have any idea if I'll actually get it?

Anyone have any good case recommendations from Amazon? I want something that'll hold my MM 3SDXL and a few games. Plastic case or bag doesn't matter.

Conezays

Just got my Hori case for the N3DSXL imported from Japan :D

Want to give a shout out to 100 WAYS (Third-party seller from Amazon.com). I ordered Friday night while on vacation in the US, and it arrived today (I live in Canada).

Edzi

Anyone have any good case recommendations from Amazon? I want something that'll hold my MM 3SDXL and a few games. Plastic case or bag doesn't matter.

Dunno if you guys would want this, but I just ordered it to hold my MM 3DS, charger, and game card case. The Customer Q&A section seems to indicate that it's plenty big enough to hold all of that comfortably (Even with the Duraflexi case), and I really just wanted a single item to hold all of my 3DS related stuff at once. The price point made it pretty tempting too.

hoserx

I talked to Amazon about the Hori TPU case which I had preordered (US), they offered to 1-day ship me the Japanese one, for the same price I had paid for the US preorder... so I have a Japanese New LL Hori case arriving tomorrow. Pretty freaking stellar I'd say.

//ARCANUM

The MM/MH backplates are gone now

wow they appear to have completely removed the option to get any backplate, even black or red.... wonder if i'll get mine that got placed when they said it was on backorder or not...

edit - it's odd that they didn't just list them as sold out. they completely removed all backplates....

Conezays

I talked to Amazon about the Hori TPU case which I had preordered (US), they offered to 1-day ship me the Japanese one, for the same price I had paid for the US preorder... so I have a Japanese New LL Hori case arriving tomorrow. Pretty freaking stellar I'd say.

Nice! As I mentioned, I'm fairly shocked at how fast they shipped from Japan.

Edzi

Kinda looks like the DS is just shoved in there.

It just looks like a generic small traveling bag that happens to be the right size for a 3DS. That works for me, since all I'm looking for is a convenient way to store/carry all of my 3DS stuff. It shouldn't be too hard to do some basic compartmentalizing if you really want things to be separated though.

Top Bottom