• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Thx!

It's not an issue. It's the way you are gripping/pushing it. Sorry if that sounds cruel, but that's the way it is. I highly doubt anyone on GAF had a real problem with it. Somebody wrote about it first and then rest of the people started imagining a problem which wasn't there.

Besides, if there was a real problem, they would've replaced the stick.

Well, the weird thing is holding it upside down and pressing down(now up) it still doesn't work and pressing up(now down) works as good when not upside down, so it shouldn't be an issue of grip.
The fact that it works with the cloth is weird, I don't know- could be a problem with it not just being sensitve enough, shouldn't need that sort of friction to move it properly.

And no, it's not imagined, or some weird hive-mind conspiracy- I simply can't move the camera and/or aim properly with it, something I experienced before reading about it here.

Edit: To clarify: It does work intermittenly. On the calibration screen the crosshair will usually go down halfway or go fully down but then just go back to halfway, or even center.

jaosobno

Well, the weird thing is holding it upside down and pressing down(now up) it still doesn't work and pressing up(now down) works as good when not upside down, so it shouldn't be an issue of grip.
The fact that it works with the cloth is weird, I don't know- could be a problem with it not just being sensitve enough, shouldn't need that sort of friction to move it properly.

And no, it's not imagined, or some weird hive-mind conspiracy- I simply can't move the camera and/or aim properly with it, something I experienced before reading about it here.

Edit: To clarify: It does work intermittenly. On the calibration screen the crosshair will usually go down halfway or go fully down but then just go back to halfway, or even center.

Are you treating it like a nub? You can only press it if you apply pressure from above. Pushing it from the sides doesn't work. From reddit:

TDamVdC.png

http://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/2wkbvo/how_to_properly_use_the_new_3ds_cstick/

wiibomb

guys, I need some kind of help, recently I have been using a lot my n3DS, in fact, 156 hours (it's Monster Hunter fault) and I've noticing that the mate detail of the areas around the c-nub and the AXYB buttons are like erasing from extended use

do any of you know about something to put in that part of the n3DS to stop the worn-ing?

Rich!

guys, I need some kind of help, recently I have been using a lot my n3DS, in fact, 156 hours (it's Monster Hunter fault) and I've noticing that the mate detail of the areas around the c-nub and the AXYB buttons are like erasing from extended use

do any of you know about something to put in that part of the n3DS to stop the worn-ing?

Nope...happens on pretty much all Nintendo handhelds. Same on my GBA original, SP, DS Lite and DSi.

You use a handheld a lot, its gonna get wear and tear.

A vinyl skin would help, I guess.

M3d10n

You people need to learn to use lower brightness levels. I played Majora's Mask for 4 hours plus a total of 16 hours of standby time before going below 50% N3DS XL during a very long series of flights. My 2011 OG 3DS can barely sustain 3 hours before dying. I'm in heaven.

jaosobno

You people need to learn to use lower brightness levels. I played Majora's Mask for 4 hours plus a total of 16 hours of standby time before going below 50% N3DS XL during a very long series of flights. My 2011 OG 3DS can barely sustain 3 hours before dying. I'm in heaven.

I use brightness level 4, 3D OFF, Wifi ON, Sound ON and I can pull off more than 5 hours before charging. Considering that the battery range is 3.5 to 7 hours, I'm more than happy. I just charge it over night.

I think it was in this thread that I read about people calling NoA to do a license switch to a different system...so I'm hoping someone can help.

I have an OG 3DS with my NNID and all my eShop purchases, which is on firmware 9.4. I will soon be getting another OG 3DS which is on firmware 5.x, which I want to transfer all of my stuff to without updating the firmware (so I can use the Cubic Ninja hack as well as Gateway in order to rip my games to play on my PAL n3DS.

Is it possible to do a transfer without the update if I called NoA, and if so, what would I need to do?

fernoca

I think it was in this thread that I read about people calling NoA to do a license switch to a different system...so I'm hoping someone can help.

I have an OG 3DS with my NNID and all my eShop purchases, which is on firmware 9.4. I will soon be getting another OG 3DS which is on firmware 5.x, which I want to transfer all of my stuff to without updating the firmware (so I can use the Cubic Ninja hack as well as Gateway in order to rip my games to play on my PAL n3DS.

Is it possible to do a transfer without the update if I called NoA, and if so, what would I need to do?
As far as I know, is not possible. After the call, the next step is to login with the NNID on the "new" system. It will ask to update before that.

wilflare

anyone using those HORI Screen Protectors with Blue Light Suppression/Filter? - do they actually make a difference?

I'm still looking for my grip :/

FryHole

Are you treating it like a nub? You can only press it if you apply pressure from above. Pushing it from the sides doesn't work. From reddit:

TDamVdC.png

http://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/2wkbvo/how_to_properly_use_the_new_3ds_cstick/

That... is news to me. Maybe it's because my thumb naturally presses both the side and top that I've never noticed any issues, but how peculiar that they would design it like this.

They didn't. That Reddit image is nonsense and it's a shame it keeps getting reposted. The C stick works with pressure from the side, too, it's just like a laptop analogue nub. I'm sat here pressing it from the side and doing 360 degree camera twirls in MM.

GenG3000

I noticed my ambassador 3DS' screen has a lower refresh rate than my original cosmo black 3DS. Sometimes I can see how black shapes leave a faint trail. Is this a common issue?

NFreak

So I got the two battery cover plates I ordered from Nintendo and took a couple shots. I really like the gold and silver contrast with the Majora's Mask 3DS and Monster Hunter back plate.

6rpHna9.jpg

Sgnc6bC.jpg

wiibomb

So I got the two battery cover plates I ordered from Nintendo and took a couple shots. I really like the gold and silver contrast with the Majora's Mask 3DS and Monster Hunter back plate.

I need those backplates!! but the page just doesn't take my CC, anyone willing to help me? I can pay in paypal

808life

Banned
welp. I noticed my MM 3ds xl has a dead pixel near the middle bottom of the screen. Its white, can only see it on a black background. Should I bother trying to send it in for warranty repair at nintendo or stick with it? Haven't been able to see it in any 3ds game, saw it while playing metroid 2d, upon system startup, and starting up majors mask.

Meesh

I know this may be the wrong place, but how do I format my old Japanese 3ds LL? I'm selling it and obviously don't want any of my personal info on there.

prateeko

Quick question. I got my n3DS a couple weeks ago and today I went to try out the MH4U demo for the first time. It's basically my first time using the C-stick (I've spun around the main menu a little but otherwise been on a Fire Emblem tear). The option came up to calibrate the C-stick and when I gently push (on the top) towards up, left, and right the + sign easily stayed at the edge of the circle - it was fluid and easy to move around.

But when I tried pushing down the + sign sort of stuttered down and initially kept snapping back up. I've since been playing smash and just kept trying to charge up and do the down c-stick smash move and initially it was very hard to charge up. It's improving slightly and I'm crossing my fingers that this is just an issue of a stiff stick (figure I probably don't push down much), but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this and if it's a common issue to have the c-stick (partially) non-responsive?

My screens look solid and I'm near the end of my exchange period and I'm a little weary of servicing anything since I figure I'd get a refurb and I had a hell of a time getting a unit where the screen temps were close and not drastically warm or cool...

Mercutio

My gold back plate is on its way. Gonna look real nice with the red. I'm dubbing it the Iron Man edition.

I'm thinking of getting a red lower plate for my MM Edition. Famicom colors 4 Lyfe!

welp. I noticed my MM 3ds xl has a dead pixel near the middle bottom of the screen. Its white, can only see it on a black background. Should I bother trying to send it in for warranty repair at nintendo or stick with it? Haven't been able to see it in any 3ds game, saw it while playing metroid 2d, upon system startup, and starting up majors mask.

I waited a month with mine and finally bit the bullet and had the screen replaced. Same thing, white stuck pixel, not really visible all that often. But I'm glad I ended up doing it; the repair was quick and they swapped the screen no questions asked.

808life

Banned
I'm thinking of getting a red lower plate for my MM Edition. Famicom colors 4 Lyfe!

I waited a month with mine and finally bit the bullet and had the screen replaced. Same thing, white stuck pixel, not really visible all that often. But I'm glad I ended up doing it; the repair was quick and they swapped the screen no questions asked.

So if I start a repair process, nintendo will replace the screen and won't just send me a red/black 3ds? I assumed they wouldn't repair just for a dead pixel.

Anybody else having a ton more ghosting issues with the new Nintendo 3DS XL versus the original 3DS? It's just awful for me and I rarely had issues with my launch system.

GenG3000

Anybody else having a ton more ghosting issues with the new Nintendo 3DS XL versus the original 3DS? It's just awful for me and I rarely had issues with my launch system.

Do you mean double images over black backgrounds due to 3D or black trails like the PSP or DS Lite had? If it's the second, I noticed it too. Sadly, it isn't the first time Nintendo compromises refresh rate for other screen features.

butman

GAF, i have a problem related with save game:

A friend is selling me his New 3DS XL with Monster Hunter 4 physical version.
I have a Regular 3DS XL with Monster Hunter 4 digital version with 240 hours.

The question is:

Can i use my saved data from my digital copy of MH4 that is in my Regular XL on the N3DS XL with the physical copy of the game? If it's possible what would be the steps?

Thanks in advance!

wiibomb

GAF, i have a problem related with save game:

A friend is selling me his New 3DS XL with Monster Hunter 4 physical version.
I have a Regular 3DS XL with Monster Hunter 4 digital version with 240 hours.

The question is:

Can i use my saved data from my digital copy of MH4 that is in my Regular XL on the N3DS XL with the physical copy of the game? If it's possible what would be the steps?

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately no, there is no way to use your digital save on the phisical cart, at least not legally

AsianOni

anyone using those HORI Screen Protectors with Blue Light Suppression/Filter? - do they actually make a difference?

I'm still looking for my grip :/

I've bought one since late February but it's not here yet. It won't make a huge difference imho, I have something similar for my phone (but made of glass) and I don't know if t's really effective as I never used it without the glass protection screen. A little drawback is that the screen (well, the protection screen in fact) will take a subtle blue tint under the sun, but it's not a huge deal. Maybe the HORI won't have that effect (as it's just a thin layer of plastic versus a 0.4mm piece of glass).

wiibomb

So the only way is to transfer all the data to the N3DS and continue playing with the digital version...

You can use both saves, but idependently, like using the digital save for the digital version and the physical aave for the cart

You have to do a system transfer to put all digital things from one system to another, search for the process

But you can transfer your cart save to the digital version, however that will delete the digital save and you cannot transfer back the save to the cart

Wow...I'm glad I randomly decided to pop in here! I got the MH4 n3DS at launch, but I am scared to death of wearing the paint off the beautiful covers. I've seen a few 3ds (OGs, but still) where it looks very worn...and bad...and I don't want my LE Paint tarnished!

I'm ordering a backup MH4 plate, and turning that into my main plate, so my original stays in pristine condition :D

wiibomb

Wow...I'm glad I randomly decided to pop in here! I got the MH4 n3DS at launch, but I am scared to death of wearing the paint off the beautiful covers. I've seen a few 3ds (OGs, but still) where it looks very worn...and bad...and I don't want my LE Paint tarnished!

I'm ordering a backup MH4 plate, and turning that into my main plate, so my original stays in pristine condition :D

I'm in the same boat, but the site refuses to accept my Credit Card..

(I also wanted the majora's one to make some combinations)

Mercutio

So if I start a repair process, nintendo will replace the screen and won't just send me a red/black 3ds? I assumed they wouldn't repair just for a dead pixel.

I have a mm system, so they couldn't send me a replacement. Instead, they swapped the actual screen on top.

Also, my upper screen shifted left and right before. It does not now.

I did notice that my new screen has a similar stuck pixel, but only from one specific angle (looking up from under the system, holding it over my head) and in the very top edge of the screen. Weird. Still, much better than before.

Do you mean double images over black backgrounds due to 3D or black trails like the PSP or DS Lite had? If it's the second, I noticed it too. Sadly, it isn't the first time Nintendo compromises refresh rate for other screen features.
I mean double images over ANY background. Anything that's not directly in the middle has a double image and it's really distracting.

Mercutio

Oh, sidenote. I remember my N3DS XL's upper screen shifting left and right a bit before repair. Post repair, it doesn't shift at all. I didn't even complain about this as an issue. I guess that's something they're looking out for?

808life

Banned
I have a mm system, so they couldn't send me a replacement. Instead, they swapped the actual screen on top.

Also, my upper screen shifted left and right before. It does not now.

I did notice that my new screen has a similar stuck pixel, but only from one specific angle (looking up from under the system, holding it over my head) and in the very top edge of the screen. Weird. Still, much better than before.

awesome, thanks! Did you call nintendo to start the repair process, or just filed it online?

How long did it take? Did they assure you they would only swap the screen and not give you a regular color edition

Jonbo298

So my N3DS has developed a crack on the X button. No idea how because probably 90% of my usage has been Pokemon Shuffle. Only had it for a few weeks.

zTq8Pnw.jpg

Chorazin

So my N3DS has developed a crack on the X button. No idea how because probably 90% of my usage has been Pokemon Shuffle. Only had it for a few weeks.

zTq8Pnw.jpg

Mine's had the same thing since day one, same button same spot. I don't think it's a crack, i think it's just a discoloration of the plastic when they made the X button. It doesn't feel like a crack when I touch it, and doesn't snag my nail when i run it across it.

Mercutio

awesome, thanks! Did you call nintendo to start the repair process, or just filed it online?

How long did it take? Did they assure you they would only swap the screen and not give you a regular color edition

Call Nintendo, explain your repair, and they will ask if you will accept a replacement system if yours cannot be repaired (it can). Be very specific in the notes that you will not accept any replacement color. I also sent a letter with mine showing both the pixel, and further emphasizing that they should send it back should it not be repairable.

_woLf

zTq8Pnw.jpg

It's not a crack, it's from the mold that makes the buttons. Completely normal and has been a thing on other hardware buttons.

Jonbo298

My mistake. I couldn't tell if an actual crack since I had trimmed my fingernails. Felt like it. It's going to take awhile to get used to that look.

Thanks everyone

ghibli99

hmm anyone using the Power-Saving mode?
is there any documentation on how it affects things?
This isn't scientific in the least, but I've noticed that the screen will flicker/darken when I do certain things, like use the touchscreen, and the tint of the screens becomes slightly warmer/paler overall. I think it has something to do with controlling the backlight intensity to get ~15% longer life per charge, and I'm guessing in conjunction with the auto brightness feature on the n3DS, will squeeze even more out. In my day-to-day use, I generally leave both off and play with my brightness around 4. Because the 3D is so good on the n3DS, though, I've been playing with the slider on quite a bit, which I assume eats up a lot of the battery, and I find that I'm charging it almost daily like my phone.

wilflare

This isn't scientific in the least, but I've noticed that the screen will flicker/darken when I do certain things, like use the touchscreen, and the tint of the screens becomes slightly warmer/paler overall. I think it has something to do with controlling the backlight intensity to get ~15% longer life per charge, and I'm guessing in conjunction with the auto brightness feature on the n3DS, will squeeze even more out. In my day-to-day use, I generally leave both off and play with my brightness around 4. Because the 3D is so good on the n3DS, though, I've been playing with the slider on quite a bit, which I assume eats up a lot of the battery, and I find that I'm charging it almost daily like my phone.

hmm without Power-Save... my top screen changes its brightness automatically rather often... even though it's just sitting there on the same spot (auto brightness ON)

is the auto brightness supposed to be even this sensitive?

Will a 3DS XL screen filter match the N3DS XL perfectly?

yeap :) same exact screen size

ghibli99

hmm without Power-Save... my top screen changes its brightness automatically rather often... even though it's just sitting there on the same spot (auto brightness ON)

is the auto brightness supposed to be even this sensitive?
Yeah, I noticed that my auto-brightness would have a mind of its own, which is why I leave it off and with the brightness setting at 4 or less, although I love it at 5 for vibrant games like the Sega 3D ones. :)

Top Bottom