• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

jorgejjvr

He's making my life difficult and wants to offer me amazon credit that i can use on another item....ill rather everything just be solved with this one..

He says he just cant do refund, then how are other people getting it?? >.<

help?

Edit: Amazingly, he did not resolve my issue, just gave me a $10 credit for another purchased. I am not pleased. I'll try again later with another person. My US Hori Clear Protector says now it will come:

Your new estimated delivery date is: Thursday, April 2, 2015 - Thursday, April 9, 2015

but I dont trust this, and it is still about a month away. I will have to try again with someone else. Still can't believe they did not do it for me and put up so many excuses...

Edit 2: I later got an email and it looks like they will do it and refund me

bogg

I'm looking to buy a used new 3ds xl and there are some pre-installed games on the sd card, the seller says the games are from club nintendo.
If i make a new e-shop account or NNID or whatever I need to do to be able to buy and play games online will I still be able to play these pre-installed games?
I know next to nothing about how the accounts system on the 3ds works, club nintendo, NNID, e-shop account, it all sounds like a mess :s

I'm thinking about grabbing the Pheonix Wright games on sale in the eshop.

What I was wondering though was how often sales happen i the eshop. I want to get OoT but wonder if it will ever go on sale from the $40. Other games as well.

e_i

So I sold my old 3DS and got the new one. I had to call Nintendo to get my NNID transferred over. Now I wait for them to do it. 1-3 days.

AsianOni

I wanna grab some games who are on sales but my SD is nearly full. Can we just buy the game and install later ? (I remember that the console checks if we have enough space before the final checkout)

Exactly what they did for me as well. For what it is worth, I got it yesterday and really quite like it. I was getting worried with the 'too loose' comments here and elsewhere but I find it to be just fine.

Only thing is it adds just enough width to be quite a rough fit in my Waterfield case so I am trying to stretch the fabric out a bit on that. Other non-problem problem is that I use this guy from time to time, so I have to remove the back bit of the TPU.

Yea I was actually impressed at this. It definitely helps my hands and makes it more comfortable to hold. best $8 spent

Man..I need one of those Hori cases. Fingerprints all over my nice red 3DS. :(

Anyone recommend any of those "game grips" accessories? Some of the Sega 3D Classics are tougher than they should be because of the way I hold the 3DS. Also, I really would like to buy a dedicated pair of headphones for it. I can't hear all the nice tunes and cabinet sounds from the Sega games.

Ricky 7

I think the super stable 3D on my N3DS is broken, it was fine when I first got it but after 100 hours it's just constantly showing ghosting effects and going blurry. =/

Edzi

I think the super stable 3D on my N3DS is broken, it was fine when I first got it but after 100 hours it's just constantly showing ghosting effects and going blurry. =/

I think mine is the same way. I just tried my friends and the 3d works fine for me on his, but mine has constant ghosting on the right side. Maybe it's the lighting though, since I think my house is generally darker than his.

Not sure what to do if it's true. On one hand, it could be a defect. On the other, I don't ever use 3D. Is there a way to just manually recalibrate it or something?

daydream

Banned
Got the blue XL today, just felt like upgrading (and playing MH4) on it.

Couldn't find the game, though. I'll try again tomorrow.

Oh, I also got an NES-themed case along with it. Fancy!

I think mine is the same way. I just tried my friends and the 3d works fine for me on his, but mine has constant ghosting on the right side. Maybe it's the lighting though, since I think my house is generally darker than his.

Not sure what to do if it's true. On one hand, it could be a defect. On the other, I don't ever use 3D. Is there a way to just manually recalibrate it or something?
I looked at the 3D when I did the initial test during setup and haven't used it since. I don't plan on ever turning 3D on.

HF2014

Ok just got a lottle critic about the New 3DS, i really hate that new stylus and where its located! First its not easily reachable at the bottom, and when you trey to put it back, its kinda frustrating if its not on the good side. I was enjoying it more on the regular 3ds, it was at the right, easy to pick up and put back.

Guess its my 2 minute of whinning this morning eh! :)

true Gek

So I got my Majora's Mask N3DS XL back from the Nintendo UK Service Centre just now. Sent it in for C-Stick related funkiness (here's a short video showing how the down-contact was a bit on the temperamental side; please excuse my flu-addled nose).

To cut a long story short, on first blush it seems like the issue has been totally remedied. I got the same unit back that I sent in, as unblemished as it was when I sent it, and the C-Stick now seems to work properly in all four directions. Apparently they replaced the component, but it looks like the board hasn't been touched, so I'm guessing it's something to do with the rubber of the C-Stick itself having not made proper contact. Not sure, but hey - it's fixed now, and that's what counts!

I'm not going to speak definitively for other territories, but I would say if you're having continuing C-Stick problems, it's probably worth sending in. Definitely, if you're in the UK - they really did a sterling job.
I had The same problem. Sent it to Nintendo, returned and now the problem is still there but a little bit less hard to use. Bah -_-

mf luder

My touchscreen, circle and any buttons apart from A and B aren't working on the main menu. The cursor is on the mii plaza icon and when I go in there everything works fine but when I go back to the menu nothing works, anyone know whats going on?

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out.

hoserx

Ok just got a lottle critic about the New 3DS, i really hate that new stylus and where its located! First its not easily reachable at the bottom, and when you trey to put it back, its kinda frustrating if its not on the good side. I was enjoying it more on the regular 3ds, it was at the right, easy to pick up and put back.

Guess its my 2 minute of whinning this morning eh! :)

Felt that way when I first got mine but that wore off relatively quickly. I'd still prefer on the side but I'm fine with where it is now. Hopefully you can adjust too :)

Just started using mine yesterday and its great so far, the transfer took an hour wirelessly which wasn't to bad , redownloading smash brothers took about 8 minutes which was pretty fast

Analog stick still feels like it'll rip off tbh if I use it extremely hard which I hope not

Overall I'm liking the system and will play some majoras mask later B^)

daydream

Banned
Lost internet connection during step 5 of the process, ugh. And these Pikmin are still running. At least everything's still on my source 3DS XL so I can try again. I'm guessing the transfer on my N3DS will time out at some point?

Edit: nm, restarting the system manually does the trick

Edit2: it's done, woo!

ss_lemonade

So I got my Majora's Mask N3DS XL back from the Nintendo UK Service Centre just now. Sent it in for C-Stick related funkiness (here's a short video showing how the down-contact was a bit on the temperamental side; please excuse my flu-addled nose).

To cut a long story short, on first blush it seems like the issue has been totally remedied. I got the same unit back that I sent in, as unblemished as it was when I sent it, and the C-Stick now seems to work properly in all four directions. Apparently they replaced the component, but it looks like the board hasn't been touched, so I'm guessing it's something to do with the rubber of the C-Stick itself having not made proper contact. Not sure, but hey - it's fixed now, and that's what counts!

I'm not going to speak definitively for other territories, but I would say if you're having continuing C-Stick problems, it's probably worth sending in. Definitely, if you're in the UK - they really did a sterling job.
Have the same problem but it seems to be getting better everyday. It looks like spinning the cstick or something makes it work better over time.

gillty

Banned
two questions

(1) microSD
I am currently using the following Sandisk 32GB 30MB/s speed one. Is it sufficient or should I get a faster one?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009QZH7BU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

(2) Screen Protectors
What kinds are you guys using? or is it better to just go with HORI?

The HORI is by far the best screen protector.

As for the microSD, unless you want to upgrade capacity I wouldn't bother. My smartphone uses a 32GB Sandisk Ultra like yours, while my n3DS uses a 64GB Samsung Evo.
screenshot2015-03-14aekun4.png

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-microsd-card/

wilflare

The HORI is by far the best screen protector.

As for the microSD, unless you want to upgrade capacity I wouldn't bother. My smartphone uses a 32GB Sandisk Ultra like yours, while my n3DS uses a 64GB Samsung Evo.

I used a Skinomi on my old 3DSXL - just wondering if I should get that or just go with the HORI - what's good about the HORI? there's quite a few HORI protectors right?

--- on microSD,
I was just wondering if they affect the loading times - it takes quite a while to load up on my 3DSXL

gillty

Banned
I used a Skinomi on my old 3DSXL - just wondering if I should get that or just go with the HORI - what's good about the HORI? there's quite a few HORI protectors right?

--- on microSD,
I was just wondering if they affect the loading times - it takes quite a while to load up on my 3DSXL
I bought the full body Skinomi matte kit and have it on my new 3DS XL, but opted to use the HORI screen protector over the Skinomi.

For one the HORI just appears to be more rigid and clearer over the Skinomi, and second the application of the HORI is way simpler and impossible to mess up, while the Skinomi is quite finicky.

As for the microSD, I doubt it, random reads are quite comparable across different microSD chips.

SoulUnison

Banned

I looked at the 3D when I did the initial test during setup and haven't used it since. I don't plan on ever turning 3D on.

...What did that have to do with what they were talking about?

A: "I think my washing machine's broken."
B: "I have the same model machine and am experiencing potentially similar symptoms. How does your unit behave in X conditions?"
C: "I hate washing machines and I always will. I don't care about washing machines."
A, B, et al.: "..."

I think I'll get the regular sized new 3DS too.

GameStop has a great trade in program in europe, I can give them my shitty og 3DS + 3 crap DS games that I would never touch again anyway and get the n3DS for 45 € .

Thats absolutely no-brainer territory imo.

wilflare

bought a new3DS XL from my local game store.
it came with a generic Screen Protector - not sure if I should remove and get the HORI instead.

and the new3DSXL (Black) is a fingerprint magnet :/

hope the charging stand comes back in stock soon

I'll probably get a nice pouch and that's all I need

Lettuce

Trying to remember a eShop game but cant for the life of me remember what it was called.

It is a top down shooter and you play a futurist hover tank maybe and you navigate maze like levels, if i remember rightly it looked very TRON inspired think it came out about 2012-2013 time. Anyone have any ideas??

Oregano

Trying to remember a eShop game but cant for the life of me remember what it was called.

It is a top down shooter and you play a futurist hover tank maybe and you navigate maze like levels, if i remember rightly it looked very TRON inspired think it came out about 2012-2013 time. Anyone have any ideas??

Kokuga by G.Rev?

I've been trying to get some feedback on this: I want to get OoT on the eshop. Is it ever going to go on sale, has it gone on sale? Or should I just go in for $40?

wilflare

A bit of both actually. I am using this for the n3DS XL and the TPU on the top when I do, and on the bottom when I am not.

nice. thinking of picking one up myself - how is it? (i mean the grip)

anyone using Waterfield Designs? www.sfbags.com
thinking of picking up the CitySlicker case

I see that HORI has this Blue Light filter Screen Protector - anyone tried those before?

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I've been trying to get some feedback on this: I want to get OoT on the eshop. Is it ever going to go on sale, has it gone on sale? Or should I just go in for $40?

Might as well get it, if it ever goes on sale it'll only be like $5-10 less at the most. Not really much of a bargain. Shoutouts to nintendo pricing

I see that HORI has this Blue Light filter Screen Protector - anyone tried those before?
I have the Indy bag and I love it. Had it for two years now and it's still like new minus the leather taking on it's own personality from the scraps and wear. Can easily see it lasting for many more years to come. (I actually use it more for my 3DS and wallet than as an iPad case.)

wilflare

I have the Indy bag and I love it. Had it for two years now and it's still like new minus the leather taking on it's own personality from the scraps and wear. Can easily see it lasting for many more years to come. (I actually use it more for my 3DS and wallet than as an iPad case.)

it looks really good too but won't your 3DS jingle around inside it?

just really don't want to get scratches on my unit

dolabla

I just got one today and when you open the 3d xl, the spine (I guess you would call it) makes a little crackling noise. Is this normal? It does it right before the first click (into place) when you open the 3ds xl. And it's only on one side.

It sounds like sand is in there or something. It's not really loud, but I just need to know if I should take it back or not.

Doombear

Hehe, the grip is amazing for me actually. I have put a shit ton of hours into MonHun 4U since release (don't ask for numbers) and since having the grip my fingers couldn't be happier. It adds just enough extra grip. My hands hold the system in a much more comfortable way.

That said, I am on my second grip (it's 3$...) because the first one I broke when trying to remove the n3DS XL from it. I busted the tiny plastic piece that held the bottom of the 3DS in place. Oops.

Funnily enough, I also own the Waterfield City Slicker and LOVE IT. Classiest case you could get. Worth every cent. I will say that it is a tight fight already, so I had to stretch it out (couple of blu ray cases in there) to fit the n3DS with the Hori TPU cover on. Now it fits great but is still a pretty tight fit. I am sure eventually it will be perfect.

I bought one for my N3DSXL a couple weeks ago. It's the best case I've ever owned for a portable device.

wilflare

thanks for the feedback guys!
I'm pretty keen on getting the CitySlicker (Vita and new3DSXL)

I'm quite worried about the insides of the CitySlicker scratching the handheld. Is there enough space to put a small microfiber to wipe?

@Doombear, how do you use the grip with a TPU case? or do you just use the top TPU cover?

not really sold on the TPU cover yet. are you all using the clear version or a colored one?

any pics you guys can share of your CitySlicker and New3DSXL?

jaosobno

Here is a silly question, how can I change rearrange icons on desktop? I deleted some demos and now I have this empty space between icons? Is there an option to auto-arrange?

Furthermore, should I leave Spotpass on or should I turn it off? As far as I understand, this is solely used for 3DS to automatically download featured software and videos, which is something I'm not interested in whatsoever. I've read somewhere that some games use it to auto-download free DLC and as an updating system.

Here is a silly question, how can I change rearrange icons on desktop? I deleted some demos and now I have this empty space between icons? Is there an option to auto-arrange?

Furthermore, should I leave Spotpass on or should I turn it off? As far as I understand, this is solely used for 3DS to automatically download featured software and videos, which is something I'm not interested in whatsoever. I've read somewhere that some games use it to auto-download free DLC and as an updating system.
Hold down the icon using the stylus and it will become draggable, you can then move it wherever.
Spot pass also gets you free Miis for the street pass games. I've always left it on and I don't remember any free videos or games getting downloaded automatically although my wii u downloaded wii sports automatically through spot pass.

Got my XL back from repair, they claim they couldn't find any problems-
I load up mh4's c-stick calibration screen, c-stick still has problem registering down-input.
GAH!

More weeks of waiting for repairs... Guess I'll have to send them a video or something.

Iztli

Got my XL back from repair, they claim they couldn't find any problems-
I load up mh4's c-stick calibration screen, c-stick still has problem registering down-input.
GAH!

More weeks of waiting for repairs... Guess I'll have to send them a video or something.

The problem seems the be the grip on the C stick. Try it with a shirt in between or leather gloves if you have some. If it works correctly then its an issue with the grip and not because of faulty hardware. Mine seems to start acting up when my thumb gets all sweaty :/

The problem seems the be the grip on the C stick. Try it with a shirt in between or leather gloves if you have some. If it works correctly then its an issue with the grip and not because of faulty hardware. Mine seems to start acting up when my thumb gets all sweaty :/

Weird, I've tried holding it upside down but still have the same problem while all the other directions worked perfectly, but when using some cloth between my thumb and the stick it works perfectly.
A little conflicted about sending it in again. Shouldn't have to wear gloves to get it to work properly, could still be a calibration issue, no?

jaosobno

Hold down the icon using the stylus and it will become draggable, you can then move it wherever.
Spot pass also gets you free Miis for the street pass games. I've always left it on and I don't remember any free videos or games getting downloaded automatically although my wii u downloaded wii sports automatically through spot pass.

Thx!

Weird, I've tried holding it upside down but still have the same problem while all the other directions worked perfectly, but when using some cloth between my thumb and the stick it works perfectly.
A little conflicted about sending it in again. Shouldn't have to wear gloves to get it to work properly, could still be a calibration issue, no?

It's not an issue. It's the way you are gripping/pushing it. Sorry if that sounds cruel, but that's the way it is. I highly doubt anyone on GAF had a real problem with it. Somebody wrote about it first and then rest of the people started imagining a problem which wasn't there.

Besides, if there was a real problem, they would've replaced the stick.

Top Bottom