• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Basically, Nintendo has no idea about what auto brightness is. I've never come across a more worse implementation of the feature than I have on n3DS. Anyone who's got the feature turned on, please turn it off. Anyone that's going to buy the system, make sure he first thing you do after setting up the system is to turn that shit off.

wilflare

Basically, Nintendo has no idea about what auto brightness is. I've never come across a more worse implementation of the feature than I have on n3DS. Anyone who's got the feature turned on, please turn it off. Anyone that's going to buy the system, make sure he first thing you do after setting up the system is to turn that shit off.

guess I'll do that - not sure on Power Saving Mode though

waiting for my Blue Light Filter HORI Screen Protector to arrive.

the new3DSXL really makes things MUCH MORE playable

---
now I wish they allow us to...
(1) Color Code Folders
(2) Common menu to adjust Streetpass/Spotpass settings
(3) Buy/Download DLC via eShop without having to boot the game up
(4) Allow us to take screenshots for all games T_T

and where on Miiverse can we post such suggestions

AsianOni

I have read a lot of people complaining about the auto-brightness. I think it works just fine on my XL, no sudden changes even when the light available is not constant.

gillty

Banned
I bought the full body Skinomi matte kit and have it on my new 3DS XL, but opted to use the HORI screen protector over the Skinomi.

For one the HORI just appears to be more rigid and clearer over the Skinomi, and second the application of the HORI is way simpler and impossible to mess up, while the Skinomi is quite finicky.

As for the microSD, I doubt it, random reads are quite comparable across different microSD chips.

Update with some closeups of the Skinomi Matte Skin, its been a long time since I messed around with the flexible screen protector material ala invisishield, but I think it came out quite good. Its not perfect, but imo worth it for the satin finish which negates the finger print magnet quality of the n3ds finish.

photos:
skinomimatte-n3dsxlrebsuvl.jpg

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Need grip recommendations stat. This system is ridiculously uncomfortable to hold and use for more than a few minutes.

Converse

Banned
Hot damn, Valru, you just about sold me on a red New 3DS XL. Only thing holding me back is the lack of a red charging cradle, and my OCD telling me that my 3DS should match the rest of my electronics.

Any North American Gaffers purchased a gold backplate from NoA and put it on a Red n3DS XL for a sort of Famicom look?

wilflare

Update with some closeups of the Skinomi Matte Skin, its been a long time since I messed around with the flexible screen protector material ala invisishield, but I think it came out quite good. Its not perfect, but imo worth it for the satin finish which negates the finger print magnet quality of the n3ds finish.

photos:
skinomimatte-n3dsxlrebsuvl.jpg

I used Skinomi previously on my Blue 3DSXL - thought I wouldn't need it this time round as it's REALLY troublesome to apply but looking at this - I think I'm pretty tempted

and it really sets your mind at ease

My launch day MH n3ds has spent twice as long in nintendo repair facilities as it has in my hands. I'll be sending it back for repair #3 tomorrow. Repair #2 came back more damaged than it was when it was sent out. The worst part is, the new screens are perfect outside of one spot that was damaged. I'm so sick of the LCD roulette paranoia.

//ARCANUM

Hot damn, Valru, you just about sold me on a red New 3DS XL. Only thing holding me back is the lack of a red charging cradle, and my OCD telling me that my 3DS should match the rest of my electronics.

Any North American Gaffers purchased a gold backplate from NoA and put it on a Red n3DS XL for a sort of Famicom look?

I ordered the gold backplate for my Red n3DS XL. I won't have it in my hands until Tuesday though. I'll post some pics when I get it.

So has anyone in the US had luck yet in finding accessories IN-STORE that are actually labeled for the "NEW" 3ds XL?

Also, it seems those skinomi skins just went up a bit on Amazon from $12 to $15. I also noticed the same happening for the technoskin universal DS case that fits the New 3ds xl. It started at 15, and now it's 30...

//ARCANUM

So has anyone in the US had luck yet in finding accessories IN-STORE that are actually labeled for the "NEW" 3ds XL?

Also, it seems those skinomi skins just went up a bit on Amazon from $12 to $15. I also noticed the same happening for the technoskin universal DS case that fits the New 3ds xl. It started at 15, and now it's 30...

The power adapter I purchased at target had the "new 3DS XL" label on it.

The power adapter I purchased at target had the "new 3DS XL" label on it.
Lol yeah, I have a feeling those are just old 3DS adapters in the "new" packaging, ala Wii U-branded Wiimotes. Anyway, what I mean is cases and pouches, etc.

Wish that Hori duraflexi was in-store. Apparently, it and a lot of "new" 3ds xl accessories are available in almost every EB games store in Canada. Has been for a few weeks. Wonder what the hold up is.

Danneee

I notice some flicker and ghosting primarily on the right side of the screen on my n3ds. Most notably in scenes with more contrasts like white on black. Nothing strange really as I've seen the same effect on my older 3ds consoles, strange thing is that it's just on the right side of the screen. Anyone else experiencing this?

Edit: post #5555, nice.

Question for anyone who might know. I'm feeling super paranoid about system transfer and I want to be sure I get it right. I have like 15 gb of games on my old 3DS. I don't have a micro SD adapter for my PC, but I do have a regular SD slot. Can i..

back up on to PC from old 3DS.

System transfer low capacity

Wirelessly connect PC to the New 3DS

Load game data onto new 3DS.

Im just trying to figure out how to do this as painlessly as possible without a micro SD adapter

Zing

Banned
Question for anyone who might know. I'm feeling super paranoid about system transfer and I want to be sure I get it right. I have like 15 gb of games on my old 3DS. I don't have a micro SD adapter for my PC, but I do have a regular SD slot. Can i..

back up on to PC from old 3DS.

System transfer low capacity

Wirelessly connect PC to the New 3DS

Load game data onto new 3DS.

Im just trying to figure out how to do this as painlessly as possible without a micro SD adapter
No. You need a microSD adapter.

Get an adapter (they come with virtually every microSD card, your local computer store would probably give you one for free), then copy your current card to the microSD. Put the microSD with adapter into your current 3DS, then perform the license only system transfer. The move your microSD to the new 3DS.

The alternative is to just put the new microSD into the new 3DS and perform a full wireless transfer. It will probably take 16 hours if you have that much data.

Se'kami

Neo Member
After waiting over a month (I ordered it on 2/19), it seems that my New 3DS XL case finally shipped!

First they delayed the release date of the case from 2/16 to 3/3, then, once that date rolled around, they sold out of the things before my preorder to to the front of the queue... Or at least that's what I think happened.

I'll post some pictures and let you guys know how it is when I receive it this week.

EDIT: After reading some reviews, I'm a little bit afraid as to how well it's gonna fit. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

gillty

Banned
God, I love that red XL. Wish we got it in EU

It's a wonderful colour, one of the best in Nintendo handheld history. It is a shame it's such a reflective finish, the matte skin's satin like finish would have made it perfect. Almost makes up for the lack of regular n3DS in North America, almost :).

I had seen this combination somewhere on reddit when the cover plates were first discovered to be forsale.

I used Skinomi previously on my Blue 3DSXL - thought I wouldn't need it this time round as it's REALLY troublesome to apply but looking at this - I think I'm pretty tempted

and it really sets your mind at ease

I wholly recommend the matte skinomi, it's a great option for commuters.

Layth

People with glasses: is the super stable 3d working properly for you?

Sometimes while I'm playing the image will change even though I'm completely still in the exact same spot and lighting conditions. It's really jarring and annoying when that happens.

I never had a problem with ghosting or anything of that sort with my launch 3DS. I'm thinking of just turning the super stable 3d feature off.

Firehead

Sometimes while I'm playing the image will change even though I'm completely still in the exact same spot and lighting conditions. It's really jarring and annoying when that happens.

I never had a problem with ghosting or anything of that sort with my launch 3DS. I'm thinking of just turning the super stable 3d feature off.

Working perfectly for me. Do you have auto brightness turned on? It seems to interfere with super stable 3D for some reason. Had to turn it off on mine.

AsianOni

Most of the time I've got no problems, with or w/o auto-brightness.

neoflcl

I ordered the gold backplate for my Red n3DS XL. I won't have it in my hands until Tuesday though. I'll post some pics when I get it.

Woo! I ordered a gold backplate for my red N3DS XL, too, due Tuesday as well. Hope it looks good! Seems like it would, in theory at least. I'll take pics too because why not :p

After I ordered it, I started thinking about how cool a custom Famicom decal would look on the N3DS XL. I even made a quick mock-up the other day to kill some time before work. :'D

Customizing my handhelds is something I always wanted to do, but never had the time, money or expertise to do so. Looks like there are a lot of cheap-ish solutions for die-cut vinyl, though. Maybe someday!

CRA5H

I went to an EB today and finally saw the hori hard cases for the n3DS. The top right was labelled as compatible with the new 3ds and XL. I found an all black, the retro super mario, and the retro NES case. Here's what's odd though..

The black one only said Nintendo 3DS on the case and was a bit smaller than the black XL case for the original 3dsXL.

Both Retro design cases were bigger than the original 3DSXL case and seems to have been resized due to the slightly larger new XL models.

They all fit the new XL fine, including the original XL case. The black ones are a tighter fit while the retro cases should comfortably fit the new XL. I'm gonna stick with my original XL pouch since my new XL fits perfectly fine even with the HORI TPU Case installed. It's snug but I just flip my new XL upside down so the shoulder buttons aren't being pressed in by the case.

I went to an EB today and finally saw the hori hard cases for the n3DS. The top right was labelled as compatible with the new 3ds and XL. I found an all black, the retro super mario, and the retro NES case. Here's what's odd though..
Apparently, EB has had them in-store for awhile now, at least in Canada. Still waiting on GameStop to get them in the US. They're not even listed for pre-order on their site, so who knows when they'll get them in store.

wilflare

I wholly recommend the matte skinomi, it's a great option for commuters.

hmm do you just paste it over your serial number on the backplate as well?

hmm I am using it with the sfbags CitySlicker - was thinking I don't need the Skinomi this time round but maybe I should get a wriststrap :/

- any suggestions on that?

anyone using Skinomi + TPU or something

Maximo

Does anyone else Notice a Ghost Effect with the N3DS? Recently I have been noticing it more and more, its really distracting the 3DS Doesn't *Break* as easily but often there is a weird second Ghost Image on basically every game I play. I loved the 3D on the N3DS I have had it on most of the time but in the last few days since binge playing I have been noticing it more and more. Doing a Super Calibration doesn't seem to fix the issue, anyone noticed or having this issue?

Se'kami

Neo Member
So my N3DS has developed a crack on the X button. No idea how because probably 90% of my usage has been Pokemon Shuffle. Only had it for a few weeks.

zTq8Pnw.jpg

Actually, all 4 of my face buttons have those marks on it, it came like that so I never really questioned it. I always thought it was just something that happens to the buttons when the system is assembled.

The good thing is that it's not too noticeable on my system unless you're in a bright room.

Does anyone else Notice a Ghost Effect with the N3DS? Recently I have been noticing it more and more, its really distracting the 3DS Doesn't *Break* as easily but often there is a weird second Ghost Image on basically every game I play. I loved the 3D on the N3DS I have had it on most of the time but in the last few days since binge playing I have been noticing it more and more. Doing a Super Calibration doesn't seem to fix the issue, anyone noticed or having this issue?

I don't think there's a way to get around that. Usually it's when you've got something like with a dark background

Zing

Banned
You may simply playing games with darker scenes. What you see is called crosstalk and impossible to avoid on all versions of the 3DS. I actually find it to be less noticeable (when doing direct comparison of the same scene) on my new XL, probably because of the higher contrast of the IPS panel.

wiibomb

Have any of you ordered from the Nintendo Store? How much do they take to ship? I bought some backcovers from them on last wednesday or thursday but still haven't shipped

Zing

Banned
When you say "last Wednesday", you mean two Wednesday's ago, right? Not just four days ago? Because they take over a week to ship in my experience.

wiibomb

When you say "last Wednesday", you mean two Wednesday's ago, right? Not just four days ago? Because they take over a week to ship in my experience.

4 days ago, yes, I don't know how much they take, so that's why I'm asking, but ok, I get now, I need to wait more, thanks

gillty

Banned
hmm do you just paste it over your serial number on the backplate as well?

hmm I am using it with the sfbags CitySlicker - was thinking I don't need the Skinomi this time round but maybe I should get a wriststrap :/

- any suggestions on that?

anyone using Skinomi + TPU or something

The skinomi has a cutout around the serial number, imo cases like the city slicker are so cumbersome and unattractive. It is so much easier to just throw it in bag and go.

wilflare

The skinomi has a cutout around the serial number, imo cases like the city slicker are so cumbersome and unattractive. It is so much easier to just throw it in bag and go.

:O I can never get myself to do that...
I had Skinomi on my old 3DSXL and White Vita - I still put them in cases no matter what

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got my charger cradle from Japan. Probably came a couple days ago as it was hidden behind a bush on the front steps. Mail lady dropping off some Amiibos a bit ago (I didn't realize they'd started Sunday Amazon delivery in my area) noticed it thankfully.

Also, has anyone gotten occasional "SD card cannot be found" errors? I had one a couple weeks ago, and just got a couple this morning. Both times I just opened it up, ejected and reseated and seems fine. Just annoying due to the screws etc. I did go cheap with a 16GB SanDisk Pixtor card though, so that concerns me a tad.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Considering the NN 3DS XL, worth it?

Totally. It's a huge improvement over the original models. The Super Stable 3D works great for me. I never played in 3D on my old XL as I fidget too much to stay in the sweet spot. I keep 3D all the way up on my new one and it seldom breaks the effect. Even if it does it just flickers for a second as it refocuses.

The C-Stick is a huge help in games like Majora's Mask as it works great for camera control. Also great for using Smash Attacks in Smash Bros. Just don't expect it to be like a second analog stick you could use for dual analog games or anything. It's like a laptop mouse nub--great for camera control and simple stuff like that, but nothing like the precision of an analog stick or slider.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Totally. It's a huge improvement over the original models. The Super Stable 3D works great for me. I never played in 3D on my old XL as I fidget too much to stay in the sweet spot. I keep 3D all the way up on my new one and it seldom breaks the effect. Even if it does it just flickers for a second as it refocuses.

The C-Stick is a huge help in games like Majora's Mask as it works great for camera control. Also great for using Smash Attacks in Smash Bros. Just don't expect it to be like a second analog stick you could use for dual analog games or anything. It's like a laptop mouse nub--great for camera control and simple stuff like that, but nothing like the precision of an analog stick or slider.

Excellent, will order one this week.

Top Bottom