• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

grave_danger

Neo Member
I caved...

V1xeGvpl.jpg

I already have a 3DS XL, but it is from the NA region. I now live in Germany and have been using the US eshop to get new releases. Moving to EU software makes my move a reality now, I guess ;)

It will be interesting to go down in size from the XL, but I always felt like the XL was a little cheap and clunky. I am happy with the build quality of the new regular sized 3DS...no wobbly screen and feels a bit more...solid? I really, really like the matte texture. I did not like the super gloss on the N3DSXL.

I purchased mine this morning from Saturn in Berlin (Alexanderplatz). There were plenty of both the normal and XL models in both colors (white/black, and black/blue for XL). I also saw a bunch of cool faceplates, but they wanted 25 EUR for the cool looking wooden one. I'll get it another time :)

Hopefully I do not regret going smaller. We will see!

Yasawas

Fired off an email to english@amazon.fr with the order number and explaining I paid for fast delivery and now the package is stuck in Germany with no eta. They refunded the cost straight away, no questions asked.

Cheers, had no idea they had an English-language support option. I was already mentally preparing a rough French one :) 15 Euro back, not bad, but I'm kicking myself for not just hanging off and buying from Argos now - two free games and a tenner voucher. ffs.

Just received my New 3DS from nintendo.co.uk, but its missing the extra power adapter your supposed to get with it.

I ordered this one;

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/new-nin...majoras-mask-3d-special-edition/11070032.html

I've contacted them, so we'll see what happens. I thought maybe it was coming separately, but the order says 1 of 1 packages delivered and 0 pending.

Called the uk support number and they gave me a discount code to order a new power adapter for free from the store.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Not sure if this has been asked before but how is the head tracking if your wearing a baseball cap?, anyone tested this?

Zing

Banned
:
-Finally, my system is the black color. It appears that every meal I eat consists of bare hand eating, fistfuls of bacon. I am pretty sure there is about 6 tablespoons of crisco currently "protecting" the outside shell of the system. So just get used to seeing finger prints all over the thing.
You encouraged me to check the grease status of my black XL system. I haven't wiped it down yet and have used it on and off for at least four total hours. My young daughter even used it in the car for a while. I only see something that looks like a light palm print.

Man, the auto-brightness feature needs serious work. I can sit my unit still and it adjusts up and down every 3 seconds. Bizarre.
I have the feature enabled and I haven't seen this effect. I was on the lookout for it since some people mentioned this, but mine seems to work as advertised. After a bit of sitting in the dark, it goes dim, and after a bit of being in bright light, it brightens. I have my brightness set to 3, so maybe the effect you mention only happens at extremely high or low brightness settings.

So I guess ghosting is just a thing? Once my eyes adjusted again, it seems like it's less noticable than the original 3DS, but I hoped it would've been addressed, especially because they did such an excellent job with the face tracking. Certain things are still really bad, like looking at the moon in Majora's Mask. Like seeing double.
Yes, it is inherent in the 3D display technology. The parallax barrier pixels simply cannot block 100% of the light. Note that ghosting can be minimized slightly by using a lower brightness setting.

CRA5H

So is the bottom screen scratching the top screen a MAJOR issue still with the new 3DSXL?

I was applying my top screen protector and fucked it up and dont want to spend another $10.

Gambit

The temptation to get a new XL is real but im hoping for a white / xenoblade model before getting one

I am in the same boat. At the moment I am trying my best to resist the temptation to buy until Xenoblade has released (and I know for sure there won't be a special edition).

Sorcerer

The temptation to get a new XL is real but im hoping for a white / xenoblade model before getting one

It seems inevitable that a Xenoblade model will happen.

Especially now that Xenoblade is their flagship in house rpg.

That and the fact that they can promote the fact the game will only work with the New 3DS.

A few months out is a good time to re-promote the system again.

Plus the fact that Nintendo owe Monolith for shittly promoting their first Xenoblade effort witch turned out to be well loved.

Raven77

So, I have a problem and need some advice. I got home with my New 3ds last night around midnight, house dark, etc. I proceeded to update the systems and transfer over from my old 3ds. Thats when I noticed a small 1/8th inch long and somewhat deep scratch in the top screen. Being that I was so tired I just figured I would finish the transfer, boot up MH 4 for a few minutes to check it out then head to bed.

Well this morning after doing just that, I realize that the scratch is a bit more annoying than I first thought. The scratch was definitely there right out of the box.

So, did I screw up big time by transferring to the new system and creating a save file for Monster Hunter? Can I now not go and exchange this New 3ds for a non scratched one?

I'm not even sure if its worth the hassle but it really pisses me off that it was basically damaged right out of the box.

Salaadin

Any good cases that also have game slots? The one I have now is just a typical case but the game case spots rest in the lid and, when closed, everything feels pretty tight and I'm not sure I like it

Eiolon

Well this is gonna suck. I put mp3's on my sons DS. Any time he finds a new song he likes I'm gonna have to go through the backplate hell. Nintendo needs to let us transfer from PC via USB.

melman101

Ok I have a question about the microSD Management? I'm trying to use OSX as apparently it's just an SMB share. Has anyone successfully got this to work? Several users on reddit suggested they got it to work.

I tried smb://3DS-5855 and it asks for username and password. 3DS says it's connected. Once I input the username and password that's on the screen, it says on OSX "You do not have permission to access this server".

Just wondering if anyone got this to work. I'm on Yosemite 10.10.2

JP

This may well have already been answered but how do you register a new 3DS with Nintendo without having a PIN?

MegalonJJ

Banned
Man, going from the OG 3DS to the new regular n3DS is pretty damn substantial, not only in the superior build quality and feel, but the screen size and overall speed of the system.

Awesome.

Edit: the OG feels and looks so bad in comparison.

chadboban

Well this is gonna suck. I put mp3's on my sons DS. Any time he finds a new song he likes I'm gonna have to go through the backplate hell. Nintendo needs to let us transfer from PC via USB.

I'm not to sure about this but I recall a thread we're you could use your 3DS as a network drive and transfer stuff to it wirelessly. It's supposed to be a feature built into the new 3DS, no homebrew required.

Feonix

My c-stick works fine when I'm trying to push it left, right, or up. But when I try to push it down, it doesn't go at all unless I really dig in with my nail and press it down as hard as I can. Anybody else having this problem?

terrisus

You can transfer to the MicroUSB wirelessly...

Edit: Beaten

Tyeforce

Can anyone who has done the all data wireless system transfer option confirm a few things?

For one, does it really transfer absolutely EVERYTHING? Including StreetPass Puzzle Swap panels, downloaded demos, etc.?

Also, if you transfer this way, can you use your old SD card still on the new system? Like, if for whatever reason something messed up and not all my data made it over to the microSD card in the New 3DS XL, could I still manually transfer my data from the old SD card to the microSD card and will it still work with the New 3DS XL?

I ask these things because my SD card is messed up somehow. It has been for a few years now. I don't know what exactly is wrong, but for whatever reason I can't manually back up my SD card and transfer it to a new SD card, whether it's for a system transfer or just moving to a new SD card. The only way I can make it work is if I clone an image of my SD card and inject that into a new card in a very specific way. I don't even fully understand the process, since my husband's been doing it for me every time I've needed to switch SD cards.

Anyway, even though I have over 20 GB of data on my SD card to transfer, I kind of want to try transferring all data via wireless now that that's an option in case it might fix whatever's wrong with my SD card. The inability to copy data to a new card normally isn't the only issue. There are a few other unexplained issues I've been having, like my menu theme being reset whenever I restart my system and StreetPass data being corrupted for a specific game, which I can only assume is related to whatever's wrong with my SD card, so if having the 3DS transfer the files itself might fix it, that's what I'd like to do.

But I don't want to do it at the cost of loosing any kind of data. I want absolutely everything to be intact. So I'd like to have a backup of my SD card (through the complex method that I have to go through due to my issue) that I can fall back on in the event that something goes wrong with the wireless transfer or some data just doesn't transfer for whatever reason, but I'm not even sure if it would work.

I know this is a pretty confusing situation, but if anyone can answer these questions, I'd appreciate it a ton!!
Can anyone help me out here?

Mash83

Snagged a black unit from best buy yesterday. Went from a 2ds to the n3ds xl and wow its a huge upgrade. The 3d for majoras mask is amazing, its actually the first game I've played in 3d. Also I'm pretty impressed with the c-stick. Its responsive and is great for camera movement. Really happy with my purchase!

Ecto311

Anyone had issues with specific SD cards not working? Looking to get at least a 16gb since I am almost full with just a few games. I know there are recommended ones but any that just don't work?

Yushi

I'm caving in. Got a few friends playing MH4U and i want to play with them (they put in thousand of hours on MH3U). Funny enough manage to secure one through best buy right now a day after release! Will get it once i am done with more important chores.

Ecto311

Can anyone help me out here?

I am dumb as shit but the transfer through the 2 systems was not that hard. I just followed the steps and let them sit for 2 hours to move about 2gb of stuff. Everything is there. At the end it has you erase the original system and fire up the new one. I even had a different nickname on the new one and I thought that would be a problem. No issues it just takes forever.

Pj7NaAL.gif

Banned
So I successfully got Nintendo to transfer my digital content over but I have to wait for a confirmation email that might take 5 days confirming that they attached my content to my new 3DS. The rep told me not to make a nnid on the new XL yet so I'm stuck with a sexy red new unit that I can't use yet lol.

gogogow

Anyone had issues with specific SD cards not working? Looking to get at least a 16gb since I am almost full with just a few games. I know there are recommended ones but any that just don't work?

I used a 16GB Samsung one for years with my launch 3DS and yesterday I popped it in my N3DSXL after the system transfer and works perfect.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
When you guys say wobbling screen, you're talking about the small gap sideways lrft to right alongside the hinge right ?

Because I have that too, pretty "bad".

Rich!

When you guys say wobbling screen, you're talking about the small gap sideways lrft to right alongside the hinge right ?

That's standard for all New XL models. Not sure if this is on the regular too.

Rich!

So I successfully got Nintendo to transfer my digital content over but I have to wait for a confirmation email that might take 5 days confirming that they attached my content to my new 3DS. The rep told me not to make a nnid on the new XL yet so I'm stuck with a sexy red new unit that I can't use yet lol.

No, you can use it. You don't need a NNID to play it! Just don't sign up for a NNID!

gogogow

People mean when you open up the screen, lock it in place and it will wobble back and forth. That's normal. If your hinges moves left and right that's normal too, but "pretty bad" sound like a defect. You might want to check a demo unit or something.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
That's standard for all New XL models. Not sure if this is on the regular too.

People mean when you open up the screen, lock it in place and it will wobble back and forth. That's normal. If your hinges moves left and right that's normal too, but "pretty bad" sound like a defect. You might want to check a demo unit or something.

Yeah seems so. It's very distracting tho, at least on mine : each time I push the 3D or volume buttons, it repositions the screen with a small "clack". It must varies from one unit to another, but at least on mine it's pretty important.

I went to a store and had the clerk open one Major's Mask for comparison (I have a black XL) and it had the same thing, but not as noticeable. I dunno, I just had my licenses transfered, I really don't feel like going through this whole process all over again. *sigh*

Drame

Phew!

Finally done with the transfer. While it's a rather simple process it sure had me scratching my head a few times. Oh well, don't have to worry about it anymore.

On the system itself, bought the MHU4 edition, it sure is shiny and pretty. The buttons feel light-years better than those on the original 3ds xl. More tactile feel I'd say, which I prefer.

Installed crystal case on the system too. The extra hinges make this thing feel like a tank! My old xl would wobble from even the slightest movement so this's a huge plus.

I'm not even sure if I'd swap this case with the Hori tpu crystal cover. Although, I suppose that the hard plastic is more prone to scratching the system over time than the tpu one but I'll give it a spin when I get it.

Now, that the mhu4 has redownloaded, let's give this little guy a spin!

Top Bottom