• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

samn

Oh FFS, my system transfer failed halfway through the final transfer step because of a lost access point. My old XL is just sitting on the settings screen while on my n3DS the pikmin are still running around aimlessly. What the hell do I do now?

Impala26

Someone needs to talk to Nintendo about colors. The black XL isn't black at all, it's gray, almost greenish even.

I still think it's kind of absurd that North America, which ONLY get the N3DS XL is available only in two colors (red and black).

Seriously, not even a third white or blue? This ultimately was the final straw that led me to beg off of getting a new one--well asides from some of the reportedly wonky QA issues some folks seem to be having. Thus continuing to affirm my assertion to never buy a new console during its launch week/month. Gotta work those QA bugs out.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
i sold my 3ds xl a while back because i ended up not playing it much but i'm so tempted to buy a N3DS.

i'd probably buy mario bros 2/3d land and ALBW again. i'm thinking about buying super smash but i've never played it before. can i play it alone or play against people online (is there matchmaking??). not 100% sure i'd be into majora's mask but i'd give it a go. probably pick up alpha sapphire, rune factory 4 and definitely fantasy life.

how is the build quality of the N3DS and how is the display quality in particular? my 3DS XL was great but i had issues with the screen quality. my first 1 had dead pixels, the replacement had a huge line of them from top to bottom and the 2nd replacement didn't have any pixel issues but had a weird black tint thing going on at the bottom corner which was only noticeable on light backgrounds and i decided to just ignore it.

kyIe

Neo Member
Quick question so I don't go insane thinking about this, but has anyone noticed the extremely tiny gap between the back cover on the battery side of the New 3DS XL? I thought maybe I didn't put it back on correctly, but then I thought it could be by design since the battery is on that side. Don't have any pics, but if you hold it up to the light you can just see a very tiny space between the cover which doesn't seem to appear on the other side. Its completely unnoticeable unless you look for it, just curious if this is the same with all the units.

Here's a pic of the part I'm talking about:
DCxMTv6.png

Sorry for asking this again but just need final confirmation. So just to reiterate:

My friend will use wireless system transfer to move his NNID and eShop balance from one New 3DS XL to another New 3DS XL, with the target system having a 4gb mSD and the source system having a 32gb mSD (2 different capacities).

My final questions are:

1. Which option does he pick, in this case? Wireless Transfer, Low-Capacity microSD Card Transfer or Move the microSD Card?

2. Before doing the transfer, does he need to remove the default 4gb mSD from the target system?

3. After the transfer, he can just insert the 32gb mSD into the target system and this sytem will have the NNID and eShop balance, right?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sorry for asking this again but just need final confirmation. So just to reiterate:

My friend will use wireless system transfer to move his NNID and eShop balance from one New 3DS XL to another New 3DS XL, with the target system having a 4gb mSD and the source system having a 32gb mSD (2 different capacities).

My final questions are:

1. Which option does he pick, in this case? Wireless Transfer, Low-Capacity microSD Card Transfer or Move the microSD Card?

2. Before doing the transfer, does he need to remove the default 4gb mSD from the target system?

3. After the transfer, he can just insert the 32gb mSD into the target system and this sytem will have the NNID and eShop balance, right?

1. I don't think you get the choice. It asks you 'do you have a mini SD or SD card in your source device'. If you say 'no' it automatically transfers everything and tells you to move the micro SD card across afterwards.

2. no. Leave it all alone

3. Yes.

1. I don't think you get the choice. It asks you 'do you have a mini SD or SD card in your source device'. If you say 'no' it automatically transfers everything and tells you to move the micro SD card across afterwards.

2. no. Leave it all alone

3. Yes.

Thank you :)

samn

My final questions are:

I just did this, and I chose to move the microSD card and then you swap them after the transfer is fully complete.

Grok4Spock

Quick question so I don't go insane thinking about this, but has anyone noticed the extremely tiny gap between the back cover on the battery side of the New 3DS XL? I thought maybe I didn't put it back on correctly, but then I thought it could be by design since the battery is on that side. Don't have any pics, but if you hold it up to the light you can just see a very tiny space between the cover which doesn't seem to appear on the other side. Its completely unnoticeable unless you look for it, just curious if this is the same with all the units.

I noticed that too... When I was done with the transfer process and put the back cover on, it looked like I didn't put it on all the way. I tried to readjust it, but it seems that's the way it fits on there...

ZOONAMI

Is anyone else having a hard time with the screen wobble and movement on the xl? I don't really think it's acceptable from a qc standpoint, especially when i keep hearing that the build quality on the regular model is better. I am considering returning it.

Darkhadou

Neo Member
Seen quite a few people say the hinge shift is perfectly normal.. Err..

Do you mean only on the new 3DS XL? I've just tried my current Pokemon X XL and there's 0 give. Same goes for 2 other 3DS' in the house even older than that. I've never heard of there being shifting on the hinges on the XL before coming across this thread.

Will have my Majora's Mask one within the week, hopefully that doesn't have any of this hinge shift nonsense can imagine it being quite annoying.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
hmm the super stable 3D is ok but you really need to hold it in the sweet spot. If I'm sitting on the sofa with my arms down, resting my arm and 3DS on the arm of the sofa, it is constantly flickering as though it is trying to reestablish a lock.

I think for those situations I'll just turn the 3D off. Even with the old XL it was difficult to use it at a longer distance and maintain a 3D effect.

kubus

Seen quite a few people say the hinge shift is perfectly normal.. Err..

Do you mean only on the new 3DS XL? I've just tried my current Pokemon X XL and there's 0 give. Same goes for 2 other 3DS' in the house even older than that. I've never heard of there being shifting on the hinges on the XL before coming across this thread.

Will have my Majora's Mask one within the week, hopefully that doesn't have any of this hinge shift nonsense can imagine it being quite annoying.
Seems to be just the New 3DS XL. I haven't seen the hinge shift on the older XL models and it's also not there on the small New Nintendo 3DS.

I still think it's kind of absurd that North America, which ONLY get the N3DS XL is available only in two colors (red and black).

Seriously, not even a third white or blue? This ultimately was the final straw that led me to beg off of getting a new one--well asides from some of the reportedly wonky QA issues some folks seem to be having. Thus continuing to affirm my assertion to never buy a new console during its launch week/month. Gotta work those QA bugs out.

Well the US has never gotten a white 3DS so I always knew that wasn't happening lol

samn

hmm the super stable 3D is ok but you really need to hold it in the sweet spot. If I'm sitting on the sofa with my arms down, resting my arm and 3DS on the arm of the sofa, it is constantly flickering as though it is trying to reestablish a lock.

I think for those situations I'll just turn the 3D off. Even with the old XL it was difficult to use it at a longer distance and maintain a 3D effect.

It's certainly not perfect, it's still very situational but I can see myself using it more than not.

samn

Thanks!
Is it worth it though? Is there anything worth getting on the eShop if I won't buy full digital games?

(I will get Phoenix Wright 5 and Animal Crossing).

The Pushmo/Crashmo games, Attack of the Friday Monsters, Steamworld Dig, Gunman Clive 1 + 2, Shovel Knight, all fantastic eshop only games. And Picross e if you're into that.

Impala26

Well the US has never gotten a white 3DS so I always knew that wasn't happening lol

One can dream though right? There was a white DS Lite and DSi after all.

For me it's more about the Feng Shui with my fiancée's red Pokémon X&Y 3DS XL. So I was really looking forward to a blue one because there was a black, red and blue 3DS XL in NA at launch. My current on is blue so... :-(

This is the same company that made like 30 different colors of Game Boy Colors, 20 different colors of Game Boy Advances and at least a dozen different colors of DS's, right?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thanks!
Is it worth it though? Is there anything worth getting on the eShop if I won't buy full digital games?

(I will get Phoenix Wright 5 and Animal Crossing).

lol thats entirely your call. I had a few digital games (including animal crossing and Layton Miracle mask and a bunch of GBA games) and managed with the 4GB SD card in my XL. So I went for a 32GB card for about £12 which should be plenty big enough.

That is normal. It allows you to use the stylus to pop off the back cover when you need to change battery or memory.

tengiants

Mine does not look like that or it's just so minimal that I don't have a good enough eye for it. I would try reseating it for a better fit.

One of my local TRU has the black one in stock. I gave up on waiting for BB to ship out the MM version.
Already got the email that its available for pick up at the TRU.

Remind me to never PO a console from BB again. :(

Conezays

So I've really been enjoying my system, especially Majora's on it. That being said, am I the only one who has accidentally hit the power button with a stray finger while playing? I hit it in the middle of a side quest while playing Majora's. Bah. The rearrangement of the rest of the buttons all makes sense, but I'm not so sure about the power button, especially with how easy it is to push in. Maybe it's just me.

Debs

My n3DS XL has colored buttons. Is that not normal?

The XL should have coloured buttons to match the casing of the XL you bought and the letters on each button the letters are coloured different. On the regular size N3DS the buttons are blue, red, yellow and green and the letters are white.

Zing

Banned
I'm curious how you folks who hit the power button are holding the system. I have two methods of holding it, and neither have my finger near the power button.

ChuckNyce

Has anyone been able to chat with nintendo regarding transferring content if the original system is missing? I've called several times and they just say "we're really busy, here's some automated help tips". I don't even seem to have the option to wait for a person to talk to...

Edit: FINALLY on hold to speak with someone

Conezays

I'm curious how you folks who hit the power button are holding the system. I have two methods of holding it, and neither have my finger near the power button.

For me, my pinky seems to rest around the stylus/left of the power button but it can move around slightly, which caused me to accidentally hit the power button.

Top Bottom