• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

shanafan

It has begun.

v3PP7h.png

20150216_114147_zpsefoyjfpt.jpg

A little late to the party I know. This is my first time ordering a console/handheld online instead of waiting in line on launch. It's a little too cold in Michigan right now.

magnetic

ABXY are noticeably bigger! They don't actually LOOK much bigger, but they definitely feel nicer. Feels like they are flatter and easier to press, remind me a bit of the PSP ones.

Bankoiia

ABXY are noticeably bigger! They don't actually LOOK much bigger, but they definitely feel nicer. Feels like they are flatter and easier to press, remind me a bit of the PSP ones.

I agree. The face buttons on the n3DS XL are the nicest yet for any DS iteration.

Synless

I still think it's kind of absurd that North America, which ONLY get the N3DS XL is available only in two colors (red and black).

Seriously, not even a third white or blue? This ultimately was the final straw that led me to beg off of getting a new one--well asides from some of the reportedly wonky QA issues some folks seem to be having. Thus continuing to affirm my assertion to never buy a new console during its launch week/month. Gotta work those QA bugs out.
What kind of QA issues we talking here?

kyIe

Neo Member
That is normal. It allows you to use the stylus to pop off the back cover when you need to change battery or memory.

I knew about the notch, I used that to pop the cover off but I was talking more specifically about the entire seam or whatever you want to call it, I tried to circle the whole thing in the pic in my original post.

Either way its so unnoticeable, I'm just really picky about that stuff.

Derpyduck

Banned
Took mine back to Target today. XL just isn't portable to me and the lack of charger still rubbed me the wrong way. Hopefully someone else gets to enjoy that wants it.

Maybe I am being paranoid but for the touch screen calibration, do you have to exactly touch the solid circle in the middle? If I touch the outer ring/circle it doesn't light up green.
However for the solid circle in the middle, it lights up green.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

They do feel much nicer, same with the d-pad.

ZeroAKA

My black N3DS XL from Best Buy arrived! The box is a lot smaller than I expected.

Classes, please end quickly today.
Or preferably a snow day.

I have to exchange my MH LE for a new one because the bottom of the touchscreen is messed up. If I push down even slightly on the plastic around the home button/under the screen, the screen registers a touch in the bottom-center.

Of course, I can't even do that for another few days because I won't be able to transfer things again until then (yay Nintendo incompetence!) and I'm not even sure HOW to do the exchange as I ordered online.

tl;dr I'm pissy

Ellite25

For me, my pinky seems to rest around the stylus/left of the power button but it can move around slightly, which caused me to accidentally hit the power button.
Same here. I have my pinky underneath to get a better grip on it. I'm gonna have to adjust that though because I have already hit it like 5 times. It wouldn't be so bad if you could cancel and just go back to your game, bit it closes whatever game is being played.

Impala26

I've heard everything from out of the box dead pixels to hinges being looser/floatier than "old" used 3DS XL models to a myriad of minor issues resulting from the "Screwdriver-gate" situation--both physical case/cover issues and memory issues. None major or consistent, but just enough to leave me wary and pass for now on the off chance I find myself in a similar situation.

Transferring now.

MOVE FASTER PIKMIN

image.php

So the MH 3DSXL comes in today but my 32gb microSD card doesn't come in till tomorrow. Should I just wait till tomorrow to really mess around with it and download MH4 as I won't be able to do the transfer? I don't mind at all and would rather wait a day if it makes things less complicated.

So the MH 3DSXL comes in today but my 32gb microSD card doesn't come in till tomorrow. Should I just wait till tomorrow to really mess around with it and download MH4 as I won't be able to do the transfer? I don't mind at all and would rather wait a day if it makes things less complicated.

If it comes tomorrow, might as well wait. Less issues that way concerning your NNID.

Stupid question I guess, but I bought a New 3DS XL ( I transferred my data already ) and I also bought a regular white New 3DS today.Can I use the same NNID on the New 3DS? Or do I have to create a new one?

Loving my system so far. Had a little bit of an issue with creaking on the back plate, but a little bit of scotch tape to fill in the space quieted things right now.

The entire system feels much better made although i miss the stylus being on the right side.

I'm really curious to know which engineer at Nintendo thought it would be a good idea to move this hyper-sensitive power button to the lower edge of the console where some people (like me!) may comfortably rest their pinky for support?

I've accidentally quit MH4 while in the middle of a hunt 4 times now. Was this not an issue for anyone in the other territories? I know I have big hands but this issue can't be that unique.

Qwyjibo

I'm glad I waited to re-play Ocarina of Time 3D until I got this. I'm playing it with the 3D about 1/2 or 2/3 up and it's the most amazing way to experience this classic.

Ursn

So my cousin and I both ordered the MH4 N3DS. Mine works fine, but his touchscreen and dpad and buttons dont work righy. He has to send it to Nintendo and wait longer to play.

ChuckNyce

Has anyone been able to chat with nintendo regarding transferring content if the original system is missing? I've called several times and they just say "we're really busy, here's some automated help tips". I don't even seem to have the option to wait for a person to talk to...

Edit: FINALLY on hold to speak with someone

Alright so I was able to speak with someone and they're going to transfer my Nintendo Network ID to the new system, which will take 24-48 hours. I've got a Monster Hunter unit and just swapped out the 4GB microsd for a 32GB, which means I'd have to redownload MH to the system in order to play it. According to the rep, i wouldn't be able to access anything in the eshop until my NNID transfer was complete, though I could play a cartridge based game if I wanted. For kicks, I decided to load up the eshop and see how far I could get. I of course hit the spot where it asks me to use an existing NNID or create a new one, but there was also an option for "Skip" so I chose that, after which I was able to redownload MH (since it's tied directly to the console)

My question is, since I haven't recreated a new NNID, I'm thinking I should be ok with that setup, and I can just sign into the eShop when the NNID transfer is complete and download my old stuff? Weird question, just not sure if anyone else has done something like this before...

BigBossJelly

Neo Member
Okay anyone else in the US, who preordered the new 3DS (preferably the Majora's Mask one) at Best Buy still waiting for their order to be shipped?

ChuckNyce

Okay anyone else in the US, who preordered the new 3DS (preferably the Majora's Mask one) at Best Buy still waiting for their order to be shipped?

BB cancelled the unit I had preordered back in January but my friend's preorder managed to survive, he just told me about an hour ago that BB still hasn't shipped it yet, so you're not alone.

Hatty

Not a majora version but my red has been preparing for five days now
I just want to know when I can play monster hunter :(

What's being transferred when transferring the data from your old 3DS to the new one? Just the save files?
I don't really care about my old save files so is it okay if I skip that process? I assume you'll be able to redownload your eshop games without it?

Hatty

What's being transferred when transferring the data from your old 3DS to the new one? Just the save files?
I don't really care about my old save files so is it okay if I skip that process? I assume you'll be able to redownload your eshop games without it?

it transfers licenses and account info so you can play your downloaded games. don't skip it

I am sure this has probably been answered already, but I will ask anyway..

About a year ago, I sold my 3DS XL. I had several downloadable games attached to that hardware. I removed the NNID from the machine, but I didn't delete my NNID since I still own a Wii U.

I want to buy this New 3DS XL, but I know that the downloadable games I had before are tied to the previous hardware. Is there a way for me to get those back. To somehow attach this new hardware to that account?

BigBossJelly

Neo Member
I am sure this has probably been answered already, but I will ask anyway..

About a year ago, I sold my 3DS XL. I had several downloadable games attached to that hardware. I removed the NNID from the machine, but I didn't delete my NNID since I still own a Wii U.

I want to buy this New 3DS XL, but I know that the downloadable games I had before are tied to the previous hardware. Is there a way for me to get those back. To somehow attach this new hardware to that account?

As far as I know, no. You could try and call Nintendo and try but I don't want to give you false hope.

GringoJB

After this experience, Best Buy seems like a super shaky place to make any preorders.

That's what kills me about the whole thing... in my experience over the last six months or so, they've usually been pretty good! I've been preordering more stuff from them lately just because of the $10-off preorder promos, along with the GCU discount and the ability to rack up Reward Zone points, etc.

So yeah, it would seem that it's just Nintendo being weird about supply. I currently have one red and one black that have been in "preparing order" limbo for days, and I preordered about a month ago, I'd say. I figure that today might be a wash because of it being a US holiday and whatnot, but if it's still like this tomorrow, holy crap.

Top Bottom