• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Pachimari

That's the same one I'm using in my N3DSXL. It is indeed perfect. HOWEVER, in order to use a microSD that is larger than 32GB you'll need to format to the FAT32 file system in your PC or Mac.

Yup, it's gonna be easy.

I'm curious how you folks who hit the power button are holding the system. I have two methods of holding it, and neither have my finger near the power button.
I have never had my finger near the power button either.

Your NNID can only be on one 3DS console at a time, so you'll have to create a new one.

Thanks! I was afraid that was gonna be the case, but so be it :)
He could also just call Nintendo (or distributor of his country) to get his Nintendo ID moved.

20150216_114147_zpsefoyjfpt.jpg

A little late to the party I know. This is my first time ordering a console/handheld online instead of waiting in line on launch. It's a little too cold in Michigan right now.

Nice picture. Wasn't too fond how the MH LE looked, but this picture makes it look gooood. Can't wait to pick mine up tomorrow.

Finally got mine. Had a few scares, first the UPS guy left it with a neighbour who we've never met, but got it fine. Then realised I never got the screwdriver I intended to get, so had a frantic run around town to find where was open at 6pm for a screwdriver. Could only find a set rather than the individual screwdriver, and lucky thing as got home, went to unscrew the back...and the PH0 didn't fit. Luckily there was a flat head in the set that did, so finally got the back off, all transferred over and ready to go. Loaded up MM and quite like the nub, although I can see why it wouldn't be great for action games, but as a camera control its perfect.

Also, has anyone noticed the circle pad being much looser than the OG 3DS? Spent the last few days hammering MM, and the new one definitely doesn't feel as stiff to move around. Just hoping its standard and not a fault in the system.

Rootbeer

Banned
A little late to the party I know. This is my first time ordering a console/handheld online instead of waiting in line on launch. It's a little too cold in Michigan right now.

Not late at all! This party is just getting started!

It will be a good long while before I stop being in awe of my N3DSXL. Maybe I'm just easily impressed when it comes to Nintendo hardware since I'm so used to it being a little on the crappy side. But I'm very pleased with this one. So speedy! I can't wait for more games that will actually use it.

Welcome aboard

Oh and everyone be sure to pre-order Xenoblade 3DS, represent!

Nice picture. Wasn't too fond how the MH LE looked, but this picture makes it look gooood. Can't wait to pick mine up tomorrow.

I feel like I'm crazy or something because I didn't really care for the look of the MM LE. I thought the MH LE looked much better which is the biggest reason I got it.

vgamer1

Crossposting from the homebrew thread:

So, New 3DS is coming today.

Old 3DS on 4.5 running CFW.

3DS XL running 9.2.

When I get in the New, I should only have to call nintendo, give them my NNID and serial of the XL (NNID currently tied to it), and it will allow me to link my NNID to the New XL?

Then I will feel comfortable downgrading and installing custom firmware on the XL.

I still think it's kind of absurd that North America, which ONLY get the N3DS XL is available only in two colors (red and black).

Thus continuing to affirm my assertion to never buy a new console during its launch week/month. Gotta work those QA bugs out.

The lack of the metallic blue color is whats stopping me from getting one. I don't like red as a color very much, and black is a good kind of boring but still boring (not the color I want but a safe pick).

As for the QA bugs I find this to be a bit questionable. The console has been mass produced for Japan, parts of Asia and Australia for months so if AQ is still popping up its because of the usual shit sweat shop manufacturing and your likely to still have the same problems months from now.

Wookieomg

Okay guys, after spending most of the evening last night playing MH4U on my MM N3DS XL, I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that I really need to get a replacement.. The hinge is a) wobbly from side to side to quite a noticeable and annoying degree and b) affects the entire upper screen because of how I grip the 3DS. I keep both my index fingers on the L/R button sections and that tends to rub up against the hinge and upper screen... That alone shouldn't be moving the screen around or make it feel super loose, but that is the case.

So what do I do now? I really don't wanna go without my 3DS cause despite the crappy luck of a shitty hinge, I'm really enjoying it. So if I have to send it in... Meh, I guess if I do, how long do the replacements usually take?

Do I call Nintendo? Or GameStop where I purchased it? I'm pretty worried I won't even get a replacement MM N3DS, but just a regular one, since I'm sure the MM N3DS are entirely out of stock. :( Blah. This sucks.

Any help would be appreciated.

HUELEN10

Hey guys, apparently some people having transfer trouble don't realize that putting 2 systems next to each other is not a good idea if transferring data.

Give them 2-3 feet of space for maximum results.

Rootbeer

Banned
I cannot find screen protectors for the n3DSXL anywhere

Hori ones are currently sold out

I'd order and wait. Shouldn't be too long. Early march maybe.

8.99 on amazon

http://amzn.com/B00RZ7T8TK

or, here's the 'old' 3DS XL version which is probably identical http://amzn.com/B008HPAXZ2

BTW, first thing I did after opening my MMN3DSXL was apply these, before I even turned it on. So glad I bought them this time. With my previous 3DS systems, I used them unprotected and eventually got scratches either on the top screen (from contacting the bottom screen while closed -- though this shouldn't be an issue with the New 3DS), or the bottom screen -- which developed a weird scratch near the middle and I never figured out what caused it, because it was not shaped at all like the stylus tip nor was it consistent with patterns you'd see from stylus use. I think something must have scraped it and I didn't notice. My theory is maybe an earbud.

Not going through that again.

Debs

Hey guys, apparently some people having transfer trouble don't realize that putting 2 systems next to each other is not a good idea if transferring data.

Give them 2-3 feet of space for maximum results.

I had mine right next to each other and didn't have a problem with the transfer.

Derpyduck

Banned
I am sure this has probably been answered already, but I will ask anyway..

About a year ago, I sold my 3DS XL. I had several downloadable games attached to that hardware. I removed the NNID from the machine, but I didn't delete my NNID since I still own a Wii U.

I want to buy this New 3DS XL, but I know that the downloadable games I had before are tied to the previous hardware. Is there a way for me to get those back. To somehow attach this new hardware to that account?

Call 855-703-8783 once you have the new hardware. Make sure you know your NID, the email address associated with it, and also the serial number of the new hardware.

Okay guys, after spending most of the evening last night playing MH4U on my MM N3DS XL, I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that I really need to get a replacement.. The hinge is a) wobbly from side to side to quite a noticeable and annoying degree and b) affects the entire upper screen because of how I grip the 3DS. I keep both my index fingers on the L/R button sections and that tends to rub up against the hinge and upper screen... That alone shouldn't be moving the screen around or make it feel super loose, but that is the case.

So what do I do now? I really don't wanna go without my 3DS cause despite the crappy luck of a shitty hinge, I'm really enjoying it. So if I have to send it in... Meh, I guess if I do, how long do the replacements usually take?

Do I call Nintendo? Or GameStop where I purchased it? I'm pretty worried I won't even get a replacement MM N3DS, but just a regular one, since I'm sure the MM N3DS are entirely out of stock. :( Blah. This sucks.

Any help would be appreciated.

call Nintendo, not GameStop. GameStop likely would not exchange the unit but considering its sold out they can't. Nintendo should be giving you back your exact unit (they don't have MM LE's sitting around either in all likelihood) once its repaired, which could take a few weeks (including shipment time). You are entitled to get back what you sent in so ensure you clarify and confirm that when you call

Impala26

The lack of the metallic blue color is whats stopping me from getting one. I don't like red as a color very much, and black is a good kind of boring but still boring (not the color I want but a safe pick).

As for the QA bugs I find this to be a bit questionable. The console has been mass produced for Japan, parts of Asia and Australia for months so if AQ is still popping up its because of the usual shit sweat shop manufacturing and your likely to still have the same problems months from now.

OH THANK GOD I'm not the only one holding off for what could easily be considered a silly cosmetic reason!

You're probably right about the QA stuff, but one can hope there are better tolerances/systems in place weeks/months after production begins. I'll never forget the first few months of the Xbox 360's launch and how it seemed like nearly half of them were failing/RRoD'ing within a year or two. Never forget...

Sorcerer

OH THANK GOD I'm not the only one holding off for what could easily be considered a silly cosmetic reason!

You're probably right about the QA stuff, but one can hope there are better tolerances/systems in place weeks/months after production begins. I'll never forget the first few months of the Xbox 360's launch and how it seemed like nearly half of them were failing/RRoD'ing within a year or two. Never forget...

At this point, I can wait for a blue one myself.

I am pretty sure, E3 2016 they will announce a new handheld so if they never announce any new colors, I will just stick with my crystal blue 2ds and invest in the new one.

Witch ever comes first.

Not really silly.
I am holding off on upgrading my XL because I hate gloss.
Looking forward to my black PAL regular system.
Also Fire Emblem XL is gonna happen.

Hori ones are currently sold out

I'd order and wait. Shouldn't be too long. Early march maybe.

8.99 on amazon

or, here's the 'old' 3DS XL version which is probably identical http://amzn.com/B008HPAXZ2

or the bottom screen -- which developed a weird scratch near the middle and I never figured out what caused it, because it was not shaped at all like the stylus tip nor was it consistent with patterns you'd see from stylus use.

Can't believe they are sold out and that the scalpers are circling already, $20 for a $9 item...

I had a strange scratch show up on my DSi screen protector (thankfully) I was playing space invaders and moved the stylus across the screen and something must have been on the screen and but a cut into the top layer of the protector. I never use any portable electronic with a screen without a protector on it first, seems silly not to; and yes the old 3DSXL protector should work just fine

At this point, I can wait for a blue one myself.

I am pretty sure, E3 2016 they will announce a new handheld so if they never announce any new colors, I will just stick with my crystal blue 2ds and invest in the new one.

Witch ever comes first.

same here I am waiting for the Blue one or will see what e3 2016 brings

I sincerely regret denying someone the last screen protector of my local store and fucking up applying it and then removing it.

How did you fuck up? even if you get dust and hairs the protector can be cleaned with a piece of 3M shipping tape. I usually just rip a piece of the tape roll it into a cylinder shape and then slide it over my finger and do a quick tap and pull on the sticky side of the protector to remove the debris.

How did you fuck up? even if you get dust and hairs the protector can be cleaned with a piece of 3M shipping tape. I usually just rip a piece of the tape roll it into a cylinder shape and then slide it over my finger and do a quick tap and pull on the sticky side of the protector to remove the debris.

I got this big speck of dirt on the bottom screen and applied the top protector slightly off-center.

I tried the tape thing but the tape adhesive was too weak.

I am sure this has probably been answered already, but I will ask anyway..

About a year ago, I sold my 3DS XL. I had several downloadable games attached to that hardware. I removed the NNID from the machine, but I didn't delete my NNID since I still own a Wii U.

I want to buy this New 3DS XL, but I know that the downloadable games I had before are tied to the previous hardware. Is there a way for me to get those back. To somehow attach this new hardware to that account?
Just go to the club Nintendo site, search their help section and go in to the chat with a rep. Explain the situation and ask that if you can add your NNID to the new system. They'll ask for the serial number of the old 3DS. Don't worry, I didn't have mine either so they asked for the serial # for the new system and my club Nintendo user name as well as the NNID then asked me for at least 5 games I had bought on the eshop. After that they verified it and let me link my NNID to the system and I was able to redownload all my digital games.

It's worth a shot.

Rootbeer

Banned
I've never seen a screen protector that doesn't reduce the image quality. Do these appear invisible or something?

I swear I am picky as hell about that kind of thing. If I thought it impacted it at all I would be severely tempted to take it off.

It has not been an issue. Looks great, very clear, can't tell it's there. and i hesitate to say that the touch sensitivity is 100% the same as without one. but it's at least 90% the same, maybe 95%. I guess protection does have it's costs... but it's really minimal impact

I got this big speck of dirt on the bottom screen and applied the top protector slightly off-center.

I tried the tape thing but the tape adhesive was too weak.

Yeah its got to be clear 3M shipping tape, 3M scotch tape won't work at all. trust me if you get even a small roll (from a dollar store) it will take it right off, try pressing the tape on to the protector and the running your nail over what your trying to remove wait 30 seconds and then pull it off.

Alright I got a question for any glasses wearers. For myself, the super-stable 3D doesnt appear to work well when I am wearing my glasses, which is a shame since I need to wear glasses, but whenever I take my glasses off, it appears to track my head alot better. Anyone else notice this as well?

Yeah its got to be clear 3M shipping tape, 3M scotch tape won't work at all. trust me if you get even a small roll (from a dollar store) it will take it right off, try pressing the tape on to the protector and the running your nail over what your trying to remove wait 30 seconds and then pull it off.

Oh no, I took the whole thing off already. Resorted to using my fingernails to remove them. I'll give putting some on again I ever find a way to get rid of the smudges on my screens right now.

Mbrill82

I had mine right next to each other and didn't have a problem with the transfer.

Same here and my transfer went smooth as can be.

I also wanted to chime in and add how much I looooove my Black New 3DS XL. I'm really impressed by the super-stable 3d. I never used the 3d on my old XL because I found it too distracting when it would break up, but now that's not an issue AT ALL. I can finally use a major feature of the system that I didn't before.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Seriously the N3DS(XL) has completely transformed some of the games for me, Super Mario 3D Land is like a new game, In my opinion the 3D was a gimmick at best on the original system, definitely not the case on this new one, this is a 3DS now no doubt about it, deserves that name, just such a shame it wasn't what the original system was but at least we got there in the end, albeit at a cost to early adopters.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I went from an XL to regular size, and this is more my style. I've just played a bunch of 3D Land and I don't get cramps anymore, it's more comfortable to play. I prefer the smaller screens as well. Really happy with it, perfect bday gift. The new 3D is amazing... Effect always stayed the same for the entire session. I could never go back to the old systems for this reason alone. Faster shop/MiiVerse/everything doesn't hurt either.

In short, this is one incredible upgrade.

MANGOD

Banned
Looking for some wisdom gaf. I picked up a new xl with mm on the weekend and am digging it, coming from mostly a console gamer myself. The biggest thing for me though is when my gf pulled out her ds and we played some mario and sonic Olympics multiplayer which I didnt realise you could do and with only 1 game cart. Ive bought her a 3ds and am just wandering what games have a decent local multiplayer/coop play that I could get in with her?

Looking for some wisdom gaf. I picked up a new xl with mm on the weekend and am digging it, coming from mostly a console gamer myself. The biggest thing for me though is when my gf pulled out her ds and we played some mario and sonic Olympics multiplayer which I didnt realise you could do and with only 1 game cart. Ive bought her a 3ds and am just wandering what games have a decent local multiplayer/coop play that I could get in with her?

Mario Kart 7.

Killer

Banned

Mario Kart 7

Monster Hunter 4. But that is hit or miss. Try the demo first.

So is there no way to buy this right now off of Amazon in NA? I know that Nintendo and Amazon are not bros but why would that stop third party sellers from selling on the site?

Sealtest

I tryed so hard not to get dust under my hori screen protector and it failed me.. one spot right in the middle of the top screen.

I guess i'll learn to live with it.

Mario Kart is the most obvious one, but I don't think it's a ton of fun to play with only two people.

I'd actually recommend Luigi's Mansion 2. It supports download play, and while it's not something you'd probably expect to be good in multiplayer, the co-op mode is actually what made the game for me. It's accessible but can be difficult, and requires a ton of teamwork.

Top Bottom