• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Ecto311

Is there a transfer process to move from the stock card to a new bigger one? Not a new system just a new storage? Can I just move it on a computer?

I tryed so hard not to get dust under my hori screen protector and it failed me.. one spot right in the middle of the top screen.

I guess i'll learn to live with it.

I cracked the screen on my old phone a Galaxy S3 and got a new screen from amazon. I tried as hard as I could to make sure my work area was super clean and got something dust or dog hair under the screen. That shit was worse than a dead pixel. Sold the phone shortly after.

Mario Kart is the most obvious one, but I don't think it's a ton of fun to play with only two people.

I'd actually recommend Luigi's Mansion 2. It supports download play, and while it's not something you'd probably expect to be good in multiplayer, the co-op mode is actually what made the game for me. It's accessible but can be difficult, and requires a ton of teamwork.

I did some luigi with my daughter and while we haven' touched the multi just yet you have to play through the first entire mansion before you can get the multi open. Unless I was missing something. So we played through it together and it is a blast. Can't wait to play it on this new system with the 3d actually working.

DagsJT

Did the PC transfer and all of my digital titles are saying "This software could not be launched" and is asking me to download again from the eShop.

Soul Beat

Oh God...I finally got the MM 3DS XL, but nothing's responding....at all. It doesn't even let me choose the language. Am I screwed?

Zing

Banned
Looking for some wisdom gaf. I picked up a new xl with mm on the weekend and am digging it, coming from mostly a console gamer myself. The biggest thing for me though is when my gf pulled out her ds and we played some mario and sonic Olympics multiplayer which I didnt realise you could do and with only 1 game cart. Ive bought her a 3ds and am just wandering what games have a decent local multiplayer/coop play that I could get in with her?
Animal Crossing

You won't need any other games. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Damn. My daughter saw the new 3DS and decided we'd keep the old XL so we can play multiplayer animal crossing. We've done that before though so I think that ship has sailed. One is enough for the house I think.

Is the n3DS supposed to have a telescopic stylus? It's tiny and tricky to hold but it doesn't seem to extend

samn

The music's playing and everything it just won't let me select anything. Can't use the buttons or the stylus...

This could be a longshot, but there might be some crap from the factory stuck between the bezel of the touch screen and the touch layer which is constantly pressing down in an edge somewhere. Take a clean unused toothbrush and dig around the edges for dirt.

A screen protector is useless - it's a clamshell design for a reason guys.

Many of the other models had problems with bits of crap getting in between the screens and rolling around while in clamshell mode which dug scratches into the screen. I think I've even seen reports of it with the new models earlier in one of these threads.

Plus, scratching is inevitable if you use the stylus often. These screens are made of plastic, a tiny bit of dirt on the screen that you move around and push down with a stylus can easily cause scratching.

Inotti

The music's playing and everything it just won't let me select anything. Can't use the buttons or the stylus...

IIRC You can't use buttons at all. Just use stylus to select correct language and then if I remember correctly you had to use stylus to tap "accept" in the bottom corner of the screen. If it doesn't react to stylus at all then it's propably faulty.

A screen protector is useless - it's a clamshell design for a reason guys.

Funny how often I've still seen used DS and 3DS systems with scratches especially on bottom screen. And OG 3DS even had a design that scrathed upper screen even though you were careful.

it rules. used to own a 3DS, was unimpressed with the 3D. sold the 3DS. when LBW came out I needed a 3DS family system so I could play it, but the 3D from the first system left such a bad taste in my eyes that I just got a 2DS. i like that system.

anyway, the new one is like night and day. the consistency makes the feature actually immersive and impressive. it's really cool.

busch03

Neo Member
Anyone's N3dsxl seem to be missing streetpasses? Had a buddy stop by with a new one and he got a sp from my GFs old 3dsxl but not mine.

Kito

Thought I'd find the C-stick more intuitive when I received the console, but I'm more confused than ever. I've watched some more demonstrations on Youtube - still don't get it.

It's a button that doesn't move, but when I push it like the slide pad it somehow interprets that direction?

natertots

After calling stores all weekend and no luck, went into a local meijer to stock up on groceries. Figured what the heck and had a look at the games. They had 4 red and 4 blacks in the case. Needless to say I grabbed a black one. If anyone is in the metro Detroit area the meijer on telegraph road in Southfield has them, I was in there 20 minutes ago. The cashier said they haven't sold one yet.

Labrys

Agreed. Red on the inside was to distracting for me. Neutral black draws attention to the screen and is preferable...for me at least.
With black inside I find it hard to see where the screen ends sometimes since my eyesight is kinda shitty, the red helps that. I also like the contrast, but the black is also nice.

Tall Paul

It's raining outside and im running around with a net catching feathers for a dancing bird...yyyep, just day 2 of my new white 3DS.

DagsJT

20150216_220216.jpg

New 3DS with wood faceplate. Definitely glad I dropped to standard from the XL. Smaller, lighter, comfortable.

Megatron

Oh God...I finally got the MM 3DS XL, but nothing's responding....at all. It doesn't even let me choose the language. Am I screwed?

Call Nintendo. If they can't fix it over the phone, it will still he under warranty. They will fix it. Annoying, but I would gladly deal with that if it meant I got a MM 3Ds

I thought the exact same thing you did, none of the buttons work on that screen you have to use the stylus to hit next on the bottom touch screen. Yup, completely idiotic Nintendo UI design.

Stubo

The screen wobble on my 3DS XL never really bothered me, but it seems too much on my New 3DS XL. Is anyone else struggling with this?

I'm sure I could get used to it, but it feels like it can't possibly be good for the hinge (even though this is supposedly the exact purpose of it being loose)

I know most people have been raving about the new systems, but I have to say that I'm annoyed at the following:

1. Lack of non-extending stylus. I like the one that came with the OG 3DS, seems like they totally cheaped out on this one.

2. The power button. Where it is on the system and how awkward it is to press in the little recess that it's in.

3. Cart slot at the bottom. I'm so used to it being at the top.

4. Auto brightness. The cheapest, shittest implementation of auto brightness I have ever come across. Switch it off, people.

5. Placement of micro SD (this is the thing I'm least fussed about, I guess. Still, it wouldn't have hurt to have it accessible without removing the back cover.

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of awesome things about the new system (matte, coloured buttons, faceplates), but it feels like Nintendo took a good few steps backwards at the same time.

ZOONAMI

The screen wobble on my 3DS XL never really bothered me, but it seems too much on my New 3DS XL. Is anyone else struggling with this?

I'm sure I could get used to it, but it feels like it can't possibly be good for the hinge (even though this is supposedly the exact purpose of it being loose)

I think mine seems way too loose too.

DagsJT

Hmm, anyone else standard 3DS creak on the rear cover, right hand side as you're looking at the screen? I've taken my faceplate on and off a few times, tightened the screw but it has a little bit of flex in it and creaks when pushed a little. The left hand side is fine.

I know most people have been raving about the new systems, but I have to say that I'm annoyed at the following:

1. Lack of non-extending stylus. I like the one that came with the OG 3DS, seems like they totally cheaped out on this one.

2. The power button. Where it is on the system and how awkward it is to press in the little recess that it's in.

3. Cart slot at the bottom. I'm so used to it being at the top.

4. Auto brightness. The cheapest, shittest implementation of auto brightness I have ever come across. Switch it off, people.

5. Placement of micro SD (this is the thing I'm least fussed about, I guess. Still, it wouldn't have hurt to have it accessible without removing the back cover.

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of awesome things about the new system (matte, coloured buttons, faceplates), but it feels like Nintendo took a good few steps backwards at the same time.

These are all perfectly valid reasons! My biggest gripe is the stylus. Just doesn't make any sense! I cant understand why they moved it to the bottom and why it's so damn little!
I will just carry around my DSi XL stylus for now though, and just forget it even exists lol

Hmm, anyone else standard 3DS creak on the rear cover, right hand side as you're looking at the screen? I've taken my faceplate on and off a few times, tightened the screw but it has a little bit of flex in it and creaks when pushed a little. The left hand side is fine.
This is a big problem with the OG 3DS XL, but the first I've heard of it with the regular n3DS. On the OG XL, there is quite a bit of space between the back cover and the battery, which causes the creaking. I had to send mine in to be fixed.

psychotron

Also, has anyone noticed the circle pad being much looser than the OG 3DS? Spent the last few days hammering MM, and the new one definitely doesn't feel as stiff to move around. Just hoping its standard and not a fault in the system.

Mine is the opposite. It feels stiff and almost feels like there's friction when moving it. Kinda like a chalky feeling underneath. It sometimes feels like it gets caught a bit. It's not horrible but my old 3DS XL was very smooth.

Top Bottom