• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

DagsJT

One other small change I like is that the new 3DS doesn't make a horrible, loud clicking sound when adjusting the lid like my original XL does.

Mine is the opposite. It feels stiff and almost feels like there's friction when moving it. Kinda like a chalky feeling underneath. It sometimes feels like it gets caught a bit. It's not horrible but my old 3DS XL was very smooth.

Its weird. I think I've nailed it down to the N3DS not having as much resistance, pulling it back to neutral which the OG did, but I get what you're talking about the weird rough feeling too, although I'm hoping its just the underside of the pad that will smooth itself out with use.

bigmac996

Mine is the opposite. It feels stiff and almost feels like there's friction when moving it. Kinda like a chalky feeling underneath. It sometimes feels like it gets caught a bit. It's not horrible but my old 3DS XL was very smooth.

Mine's the same, sort of like there's resistance, whereas my old xl was buttery smooth.

The screen wobble on my 3DS XL never really bothered me, but it seems too much on my New 3DS XL. Is anyone else struggling with this?

I'm sure I could get used to it, but it feels like it can't possibly be good for the hinge (even though this is supposedly the exact purpose of it being loose)
It bugged me A TON during my first 48 hours but I've gotten used to it recently.

Effect

Finally doing my transfer. My new micro sd card didn't' arrive in time so I'll have to redownload some games until then. Here's hoping Monster Hunter doesn't take to long to redownload.

TI82

Banned
Transfer process was hot fucking garbage(had to do it four times before it successfully took), but whatever. Worth it. Currently downloading MonHun since the pre-install is stuck on the 4gb.

So cool, didn't go for that since I thought the text on the lid looked lame but I'd be willing to overlook it now.

komorebi

Hmm, anyone else standard 3DS creak on the rear cover, right hand side as you're looking at the screen? I've taken my faceplate on and off a few times, tightened the screw but it has a little bit of flex in it and creaks when pushed a little. The left hand side is fine.

My MH4 n3dsXL doesn't creak at all thankfully. My blue XL creaked like an old porch and I had to resort to blue sticky tack all under the rear cover to the point of it bulging out. Fucking annoyed the piss out of me.

TI82

Banned
tried out the n3ds on a nintendo stand today and nope'd i prefer my awkward og best portable ever thank you very much

famicomspplaytest_030304_oldnew1.jpg

in my opinion of course

hoserx

Finally got my MM 3ds tracking from best buy....... But, today my friend brought his MH4U console, and it looks freaking fantastic. He has to send it back to nintendo though, as the sd card reader is borked..........

Also, the c-nub is so strange. Touched it a bit but looking forward to trying it in a game.

CLEEK

These are all perfectly valid reasons! My biggest gripe is the stylus. Just doesn't make any sense! I cant understand why they moved it to the bottom and why it's so damn little!

I will just carry around my DSi XL stylus for now though, and just forget it even exists lol

The stylus on the n3DS is fucked. Far too small, and with a sharp end that digs into your fingers/palm when you hold it.

My old 3DS case has a storage loop for a spare stylus, so I just bought a spare telescopic OG stylus from eBay and carry that with me.

Cl5Sl9n.jpg

PMS341

So. If I go ahead and use move my old SD info to a micro SD, can I just put the micro SD in the New 3DS, do the system transfer, and be good to go? Or should I put the microSD in after the initial transfer?

CLEEK

Can I transfer my current save game data from my MicroSD card to another and if so, how?

You want to replace your microSD card?

Or just have a backup?

Or you have two 3DSs and you want your saves from one to be played on the other?

For the first two options, all you do is copy the contents of your microSD card onto your PC, then other another microSD card.

For option 3, not sure. Don't know if game saves are tied to one 3DS or not. You can get in and find the save files when you connect the card to a PC. It's the files under \extdata I think. Each game will have its own Hex ID like 0000022d or 00000724.

MicH

So. If I go ahead and use move my old SD info to a micro SD, can I just put the micro SD in the New 3DS, do the system transfer, and be good to go? Or should I put the microSD in after the initial transfer?
Transfer first then move the files from your SD card to the microSD

EDIT To the poster above: saves are tied to the console / NNID

Stubo

Just ordered the Hori clear TPU casing after reading some glowing reviews in here and watching a video of the old one. Hopefully this will ease the pain of the glossy fingerprint magnet finish.

Now I just have to get used to the hinge and I'll be 100% happy with the transition.

PMS341

Transfer first then move the files from your SD card to the microSD

I forgot to mention I bought a new 32gb microSD - should I put that in the system first, before I do the transfer, or should I just put it in (with all of the original SD's files on it) after the transfer?

The stylus on the n3DS is fucked. Far too small, and with a sharp end that digs into your fingers/palm when you hold it.

My old 3DS case has a storage loop for a spare stylus, so I just bought a spare telescopic OG stylus from eBay and carry that with me.

Cl5Sl9n.jpg

Man what case is that? I have a similar case for my OG 3DS and couldn't find a similar, fold-over velcro case for the N3DS.

MicH

I forgot to mention I bought a new 32gb microSD - should I put that in the system first, before I do the transfer, or should I just put it in (with all of the original SD's files on it) after the transfer?
No reason to put it in before the transfer

Converse

Banned
I know most people have been raving about the new systems, but I have to say that I'm annoyed at the following:

1. Lack of non-extending stylus. I like the one that came with the OG 3DS, seems like they totally cheaped out on this one.

I thought I'd be the only one miffed about that. It puzzles me that Nintendo included a metal, telescopic stylus with the 3DS and then decided to never again do that. It's a small touch, but it's such a nice detail. I was even disappointed that the Wii U didn't have one.

Can't the stylus scratch it up pretty good over time?
The protector will get scratched up then?

Noticing how well the stylus works on my unprotected XL compared with my protected Lite (Hori protectors) I think I'll take the potential damage. I have an unfortunate scratch on the top screen though but really can't see it during gameplay (thankfully).

I thought I'd be the only one miffed about that. It puzzles me that Nintendo included a metal, telescopic stylus with the 3DS and then decided to never again do that. It's a small touch, but it's such a nice detail. I was even disappointed that the Wii U didn't have one.
My 3DS, 3DS XL and Wii U are all used. Guess which is missing the stylus? The 3DS (I never knew it was metal until now).

CLEEK

My 6 yo son has played extensively on all three of my 3DSes and I used to wince whenever he'd play a game needing the stylus. But he never managed to scratch any of them.

My trusty old DS Lite is now in the hands of my 3 yo, and again, he hasn't managed to scratch the bottom screen either.

Converse

Banned
My 3DS, 3DS XL and Wii U are all used. Guess which is missing the stylus? The 3DS (I never knew it was metal until now).

Ah, it's so nice. If I may steal a picture from jiggles, a fellow gaffer:

Anyway, I'm fond of the original 3DS. I'm on the fence about a New XL (in America -- would totally be down for a regular-sized New 3DS, but that ain't happening since NoA has gone downhill).

Ultimately, I'll have to try one out in the store. Until then, though, I'd really love to read more impressions about the New XL's screen (aside from the super-stable 3D, I've read tons about that). I've heard that it seems to have improved saturation and contrast. What do you New XL owners think of the image quality?

Hmm, anyone else standard 3DS creak on the rear cover, right hand side as you're looking at the screen? I've taken my faceplate on and off a few times, tightened the screw but it has a little bit of flex in it and creaks when pushed a little. The left hand side is fine.

Same spot on mine (right side, around the tab that you use to dislodge the back cover) would creak. It annoyed the crap outta me so i took the cover off again and put a couple pieces of scotch tape around the area to fill up the loose space.

Once i put the cover back on, everything was good. The back didn't have the space to flex any more, so no more creaking.

justinluey

Neo Member
The screen wobble on my 3DS XL never really bothered me, but it seems too much on my New 3DS XL. Is anyone else struggling with this?

I'm sure I could get used to it, but it feels like it can't possibly be good for the hinge (even though this is supposedly the exact purpose of it being loose)

The "screen wobble" on my New 3DS XL is actually significantly less than my Link Between Worlds 3DS XL.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know of any good cases for the N3DS XL? I want something I can slip into my work bag.

Needlecrash

Today was a interesting day going NN3DS XL hunting and just milling around town.

Toys R Us stated that they didn't have any in stock. So, I went anyway and there were two black ones in the case. Some of the staff didn't even know that the system even came out. So, I bought one. I still wanted the red one but I'll take what I can get.

Headed to Kmart and I noticed the store is getting rid of all of their gaming inventory with 20% off everything with a yellow sticker. Unfortunately, the one near me is really shitty and they still have full priced games for older systems as well as a very crappy selection of games as well.

I checked Gamestop #1, Walmart, Target and Best Buy for the system and struck out.

I was talking to the sales associate in Gamestop #2, shooting the shit in regards to why we get shafted by Nintendo's decisions in terms of systems, policies, region locking, etc. The associate received a call from another associate from another store asking about their LOZ: MM inventory and somehow, someone cancelled their pre-order of the Red NN3DS XL in Gamestop #3. The associate in #2 asked the associate in #3 to hold it for me and I was very much grateful. So grateful in fact that I actually helped his numbers for renewing my power up rewards card for a year.

I wound up getting the system at location #3, returned my black one to Toys R Us and decided to call it a day. However, I now have to wait 5 days for another system transfer from the scratched system to the unscratched system.

Whew.

ktroopa

Loving the new XL but seriously WTF is with the loud cracking noise i hear twice when opening the screen. Its like the worse noise you want to hear before you play :/

prateeko

Loving the new XL but seriously WTF is with the loud cracking noise i hear twice when opening the screen. Its like the worse noise you want to hear before you play :/

That's the way all of the XL models have sounded (DSi and 3DS) in my experience and I've owned/know people with a ton. It's just locking into place

BokehKing

Banned
ugh...tell me this won't be out of stock for long and i'll actually be able to find it in stores soon? I can't go through another ps4 type drought again where there is just nothing out there.

Is it just me, or are the black levels or whatever on the screen much worse? I seem to get a lot more 3D ghosting now too. Everything seems darker (like crushed blacks or something) and lots of ghosting I dont remember on my old XL.

Effect

Question. After doing my transfer I have the option to delete data off the old 3DS SD card. I thought that would happen automatically but giving the option to save the data was unexpected. What's still left on the card? Does anyone know?

Is it the old game downloads? I didn't do the full transfer I have a 16gb sd card in my old 3DS and everything wouldn't fit on the 4gb that came with the N3DSXL. So downloadable games didn't get transferred. Could I still just copy and paste what's left on the SD card to my PC when I get my new micro sd card? Or would that not work at this point and I should just clear the card?

Edit:

Just ended up deleting the card as there was no reply.

Syril

I've hit a bit of a snag in the transfer process. I have some DSiWare games that transferred over and after my n3DS restarted, a screen popped up:

99653830-179F-4ED3-98B9-78699FF0A31C_zpsyayoxl1j.jpg

"This screen will be displayed after the power is turned on again."

Should I select Do Not Move and then turn off the power and switch cards or should I turn off the power right here without selecting anything?

Top Bottom