• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

I've hit a bit of a snag in the transfer process. I have some DSiWare games that transferred over and after my n3DS restarted, a screen popped up:

99653830-179F-4ED3-98B9-78699FF0A31C_zpsyayoxl1j.jpg

"This screen will be displayed after the power is turned on again."

Should I select Do Not Move and then turn off the power and switch cards or should I turn off the power right here without selecting anything?
just turn it off and swap the cards

Cbajd5

I've hit a bit of a snag in the transfer process. I have some DSiWare games that transferred over and after my n3DS restarted, a screen popped up:

Should I select Do Not Move and then turn off the power and switch cards or should I turn off the power right here without selecting anything?
Just turn off the power there, at least that's what I did.

I just switched off the power on mine and it displayed the message again after turning it on with the new sd card inside. Hope that helps!

edit: beaten!

psychotron

Is it just me, or are the black levels or whatever on the screen much worse? I seem to get a lot more 3D ghosting now too. Everything seems darker (like crushed blacks or something) and lots of ghosting I dont remember on my old XL.

I may be telling you something you already know, but turn off auto-brightness. Drove me crazy.

Loving the new XL but seriously WTF is with the loud cracking noise i hear twice when opening the screen. Its like the worse noise you want to hear before you play :/

My old 3ds XL was like that and it was loud but my new 3ds XL is just perfect no noise with enough friction that it feels perfect. I really hate to hear all these hardware issues.

CRA5H

Something odd just happened with my sound.

I was using headphones while playing MM and then I put it to sleep with the headphones still plugged in.
I removed it while it was in sleep, turned it back on, and the sound was gone.

I had to power off then on to get the sound back. I guess don't put the n3DS to sleep while headphones are plugged in?

Sevyne

The 3D on the n3DS is definitely much improved, but I'm noticing that ghosting still happens against mid to dark backgrounds. A minor annoyance in an otherwise fantastic upgrade.

TI82

Banned
Were X and Y like this? Are a lot of games like this outside of Gamefreak?

XY were even worse if I remember correctly. I remember reading a thread that Gamefreak is kind of a testing ground dev where a lot of new graduates go through first and then pass on to higher companies. Dunno how true that really is though.

samn

The 3D on the n3DS is definitely much improved, but I'm noticing that ghosting still happens against mid to dark backgrounds. A minor annoyance in an otherwise fantastic upgrade.

I wonder if it could be alleviated using the stability calibration option in settings? Unfortunately the demo screen they have in that calibration wizard is too bright to test ghosting, so you'd have to keep backing out into the home menu to test (with theme set to black). And it's difficult to make a 'fair test' without screwing both your head and the console into a vice a set distance and angle apart...

justinluey

Neo Member
Loving the new XL but seriously WTF is with the loud cracking noise i hear twice when opening the screen. Its like the worse noise you want to hear before you play :/

I must have a weird New 3DS XL. My screen has almost no "wobble" and it doesn't make the "cracking noise" when it's opened. My old 3DS XL screen wobbles like crazy and has the "cracking noise".

It really doesn't like me wearing glasses, which is a big flaw. The 'Super Stable 3D' is anything but stable if I have my glasses on. As soon as I take them off (and then can't see) the 3D works ok. Anyone else have this issue?

It works for many people with glasses on. Do your glasses have a Anti-Reflection coating? You can check that by taking a picture of yourself with your N3DS. Wreck-it Ralph figured out it was the cause of stable 3D not working with him.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=152265800&postcount=2728

CLEEK

It really doesn't like me wearing glasses, which is a big flaw. The 'Super Stable 3D' is anything but stable if I have my glasses on. As soon as I take them off (and then can't see) the 3D works ok. Anyone else have this issue?

Stable 3D works flawlessly for me if I have ether my reading glasses or sunglasses on.

I'd be amazed if the the pitiful 3DS camera is able to track my eyes when I wear my sunnies, but the stable 3D works, so it's doing something right.

Edit: Are these your glasses?

Ryhian

My monster Hunter 3DS finally came today. The transfer process was pretty simple. I had already previously copied over my SD card to my microSD.

The system is beautiful. I put on my Hori tpu case I ordered from Amazon (Japan LL edition). Now I'm just waiting for the game to finish re-downloading so I can play!

suberzat

Order my N3ds xl on Saturday Best Buy said it be here on Monday before I purchased. Got an email today saying it wont be here til Thursday......feel batman

taco543

Just got the email today that my majoras mask 3ds xl and skull kid shipped from best buy should be here by Friday, and my monster hunter 3ds shipped from GameStop a while a go and will be here by Wednesday! Till then running through a link between worlds again just to get hype!

Sevyne

I wonder if it could be alleviated using the stability calibration option in settings? Unfortunately the demo screen they have in that calibration wizard is too bright to test ghosting, so you'd have to keep backing out into the home menu to test (with theme set to black). And it's difficult to make a 'fair test' without screwing both your head and the console into a vice a set distance and angle apart...

Yeah, I did a little tinkering with the stability settings, but no luck. I'll probably mess with it a bit more tomorrow. If I can't get it set up any better than it is now, then I'll just live with it. Its not terrible. It's just something I had hoped wasn't an issue.

xtradi

Banned
My monster Hunter 3DS finally came today. The transfer process was pretty simple. I had already previously copied over my SD card to my microSD.

The system is beautiful. I put on my Hori tpu case I ordered from Amazon (Japan LL edition). Now I'm just waiting for the game to finish re-downloading so I can play!
Same n3DS and same case, you are just like me!

Adam Blue

I got my MM 3DSXL today and completed the transfer process (there is no defending this...please). Unfortunately, data was corrupted and I lost all of my street pass puzzles. Not a big deal, but pretty annoying. I tried moving the data from my computer to the MicroSD card again, but it still tells me the data is corrupted and that it needs to delete. It kept all of my street pass people though. Also, everything else moved over fine.

Levi

Banned
I got my MM 3DSXL today and completed the transfer process (there is no defending this...please). Unfortunately, data was corrupted and I lost all of my street pass puzzles. Not a big deal, but pretty annoying. I tried moving the data from my computer to the MicroSD card again, but it still tells me the data is corrupted and that it needs to delete. It kept all of my street pass people though. Also, everything else moved over fine.

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I had a complete collection of puzzle pieces, save a few pink pieces from the newest puzzle. Years of collecting, just gone. I'm surprised how sad this makes me.

😢

Adam Blue

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I had a complete collection of puzzle pieces, save a few pink pieces from the newest puzzle. Years of collecting, just gone. I'm surprised how sad this makes me.

😢

Hmm, interesting to see how quick someone replied with the same issue. Maybe there's more out there? A solution?

HIR0

Just got my Majora's Mask console.
The New 3DS XL has a larger hinge than the regular New 3DS.
Doesn't bother me in the slightest though.
The build of both of them is excellent.

Effect

The Monster Hunter N3DSXL feels so nice. Now just waiting for Monster Hunter to redownload. Given the size of this game though I'm wondering if my 16gb card is going to be enough. I rarely buy retail size games though but I'm thinking this might be one of the largest anyway so I hope I'll be okay. Don't want to spend anymore money at the moment to get a 32GB card. Maybe much later.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I played on one today at GameStop. It looked and felt really nice.

I just hate that this came out this year. There's very few games I'm even intersted in playing on 3DS this year. I feel like I can't justify buying a new console for the year or two it has remaining in its life cycle.

Ryhian

Same n3DS and same case, you are just like me

Indeed! It's so nice! I saw a comment earlier about the hinge making a 'clicking' sound when opening. My previous system (3DSXL Zelda edition) did make the clicking sound however my new one is silent.

Got my hori screen protectors on without any issues as well. I'm ready to dig in and enjoy some MH!

ClearData

The SD card upgrade procedure can die in a fire. 15 minutes of gently proding and pulling that hatch and the thing pops off with a sound that will forever haunt my nightmares. I swore I snapped my plastic cover on my Majora's Mask n3ds. Thank goodness no damage was done. 32 GB of storage are safely onboard. I'm never doing that again.

I was also worried they wouldn't relink my account from an old 3DS XL I sold. But customer service came through like champions and I'm getting my old purchases back! Thank you Nintendo support.

Maximus.

Indeed! It's so nice! I saw a comment earlier about the hinge making a 'clicking' sound when opening. My previous system (3DSXL Zelda edition) did make the clicking sound however my new one is silent.

Got my hori screen protectors on without any issues as well. I'm ready to dig in and enjoy some MH!

My MM XL doesn't click, whereas my old XL did click and I have seen videos on Youtube of the n3DS XL having a clicking hinge. Whatever though.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Dumb question only GAF can surely answer:

Can you trade in two OG 3DSs to GameStop for $150 credit towards a purchase of a New3DS?

charpunk

Anyone else having battery life problems? My battery is draining way too fast, even with brightness turned down and wireless off.

Dumb question only GAF can surely answer:

Can you trade in two OG 3DSs to GameStop for $150 credit towards a purchase of a New3DS?

The bonus value for Nintendo 3DS trades ended yesterday, so the value has dropped to $50 for a 3DS ($70 for a 3DS XL). But yeah you can trade two in for $100 towards a new 3DS XL, although most Gamestops seem to be sold out of the new 3DS XL models right now but maybe your town is different.

They require the stylus and AC adapter as well, so you'll need to buy a new adapter for a new 3DS XL.

Zing

Banned
Anyway, I'm fond of the original 3DS.

I've heard that it seems to have improved saturation and contrast. What do you New XL owners think of the image quality?

I haven't noticed anything obvious in the XL vs nXL display. However, the original display is no contest for the XL in colour and contrast. Directly comparing the original against the XL with A Link Between Worlds is what finally convinced me to overlook the minor XL complaints I had. Games just look so much better, without even taking the screen size into consideration. Blacks are black, and the anti-reflective screen is a godsend. That alone allows games to show much more clearly.

I was extremely fond of the original. I resisted the XL until late last year because the orginal felt nearly perfect for me. The only complaint I had was the reflective screen. The greatly improved LCD panel in the newer models alone are worth the upgrade.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
A system protector case or a case that you can put your system and games in?

As in a case that I can put the system in.

I want something that's leather, I was looking at the sfbags case but it's $45...

ibyea

Banned
My brother received the Majora''s Mask limited edition one. It is very pretty and holy crap the 3D is just amazing!

Top Bottom