• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

dedhead54

Target.com still showing these available at a couple of stores around me. I wonder how accurate that is? Guess I am going to swing by tomorrow on my way out of town and hope that the black is available at the store it says it is. I would, however, settle for the red.

Would love to have a brand new 3DSXL to play while I am out of town for a couple of days. (do not currently own a 3DS in any form) What game to buy though...

sdornan

Anyone else have an issue with their New 3DS XL not waking up from sleep mode? Seems to happen most often after leaving it sitting for a long time rather than a minute or two. Wondering if it's a hardware or software issue.

Ryhian

Anyone else have an issue with their New 3DS XL not waking up from sleep mode? Seems to happen most often after leaving it sitting for a long time rather than a minute or two. Wondering if it's a hardware or software issue.

Played about an hour of MH. I saved the game and left it in sleep mode. I'll report back in the AM on my experience after 8 hours in sleep mode.

I have this issue as well, i think it's a software issue, my friend's New XL has it too

Even though I knew what I was doing with the System Transfer, that was a very stressful experience. That was like defusing a bomb. I didn't even take off the whole part of the back of the system, I just raised it enough to swap the cards and made sure that nothing wrong happened. There is a small visual scratch on the D-Pad, but the system is perfectly fine.
The Monster Hunter N3DSXL feels so nice.
I can agree with you on that. Compared to the OG 3DS, it feels amazing to hold onto it while playing a game.

Zing

Banned
I take it you never played Elite Beat Agents?
Ever since the later batches of the DS Lite, this has not been an issue. Nintendo changed the outer screen material partway through production.

I played the shit out of that game (S ranked everything except the very last cheerleader song, when I would mess up like two taps each try) and didn't have a scratch on my DS Lite.

My OG Cosmo black launch system has one hairline scratch on the lower screen, about 2mm long and only visible indirectly in the light. This scratch actually occurred from wiping the screen with a cloth when there was something on the screen.

Ironically, the only time I've seen scratches on either screen with a 3DS is with people who have screen protectors applied.

Converse

Banned
I haven't noticed anything obvious in the XL vs nXL display. However, the original display is no contest for the XL in colour and contrast. Directly comparing the original against the XL with A Link Between Worlds is what finally convinced me to overlook the minor XL complaints I had. Games just look so much better, without even taking the screen size into consideration. Blacks are black, and the anti-reflective screen is a godsend. That alone allows games to show much more clearly.

I was extremely fond of the original. I resisted the XL until late last year because the orginal felt nearly perfect for me. The only complaint I had was the reflective screen. The greatly improved LCD panel in the newer models alone are worth the upgrade.

Thanks, Zing. As someone who is still happy with the original model but would really like a faster processor, additional input methods, better 3D and amiibo support, this is comforting to hear. I've been really wary of the reduced PPI, but it's nice to know the screen has some strengths compared to the original, other than just size.

Probably a dumb question, but does the orange charging light on the New 3DS turn off after it is fully charged like the regular 3DS? Mine has been charging for a while and the light is still on.

is it normal for the tracking 3d to start flipping out with mirror images flickering as soon as the screen gets a little too close or far to your face, unless the 3d slider is pretty low

also it seems like the infrared light doesn't turn on reliably, it seems inconsistent (but it also doesn't seem to make much difference with the problems i'm having)

BooJoh

Anyone else having battery life problems? My battery is draining way too fast, even with brightness turned down and wireless off.

On my new XL I have auto-brightness off, brightness 4, power save off, super stable 3D on, wireless on, volume up with no headphones, and after what seemed like 2-3 hours straight (with brief periods in sleep mode interspersed) it was only down 1 bar on the battery life.

This thing seems to be doing great compared to my OG 3DS, but since I've had that since near-launch the battery is probably losing some of its longevity.

LOCK

So the New 3DS XL sold around 175k in 2 days compared to around 55k 3DS XL 2 day launch.

Yeah real good numbers and no wonder I can't find one.

Xamdou

So I just ordered the official Nintendo charger and Hori screen protector from Amazon for my new MM New 3DS XL, can someone recommend me some cases?

is it normal for the tracking 3d to start flipping out with mirror images flickering as soon as the screen gets a little too close or far to your face, unless the 3d slider is pretty low

also it seems like the infrared light doesn't turn on reliably, it seems inconsistent (but it also doesn't seem to make much difference with the problems i'm having)

I don't think the slider has anything to do with the tracking. The optimal distance for 3D is around 30cm from the screen IIRC. I guess you cannot have the 3D effect too far from those 30cm.

Inotti

Maybe if you smash your stylus into the screen, it's not a knife.

Try playing hectic rhythm games. You better have a screen protector! And after OG 3DS self scratching upper screen fiasco I'm NOT going to take any chances with my Majora's Mask system. And If clamshell design was so good with preventing scrathes how do you explain all the used systems being all scrathed up?

And by the way there's a way to install screenprotector perfectly every time and take the possible hair, dust and dirt from under the screen protector without having to throw it in trash and buying a new one. I seriously consider making a tutorial thread since so many people seem to have problems. Perfectly installed screenprotectors are practically invisible.

I don't think the slider has anything to do with the tracking. The optimal distance for 3D is around 30cm from the screen IIRC. I guess you cannot have the 3D effect too far from those 30cm.

yeah, i know the two things aren't directly related, but it seems like the 3d wigs out more easily at a distance if the slider is up too high

it's hard to explain, but i do see a lot of mirror images and flickering at certain distances

BooJoh

is there a noticeable improvement in screen quality going from 3DS XL to the new3DS XL?

I'm not sure how they compare to old XLs, but my n3DS XL has noticeably warmer screen color (yellowish whites instead of blueish) than my OG 3DS, but I recall people talking about that with the old XLs too.

Inotti

I'm not sure how they compare to old XLs, but my n3DS XL has noticeably warmer screen color (yellowish whites instead of blueish) than my OG 3DS, but I recall people talking about that with the old XLs too.

My OG 3DS XL screens are very warm, almost yellowish where as n3DS XL colors are more cooler/neutral than that. At least for me it's a significant upgrade. I don't have OG 3DS on hand so can't compare with that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The SD card upgrade procedure can die in a fire. 15 minutes of gently proding and pulling that hatch and the thing pops off with a sound that will forever haunt my nightmares. I swore I snapped my plastic cover on my Majora's Mask n3ds. Thank goodness no damage was done. 32 GB of storage are safely onboard. I'm never doing that again.

I was also worried they wouldn't relink my account from an old 3DS XL I sold. But customer service came through like champions and I'm getting my old purchases back! Thank you Nintendo support.

Mine came off really easily (n3DS). I found it useful to apply gentle pressure to one side while unscrewing that side's screw a little - seems like even when it has 'clicked' it can be still hanging on by a thread. You shouldn't need any heavy pressure to pull the back off - the screws hold the top in place and the bottom is held in place by a tab which just hinges out.

Indeed! It's so nice! I saw a comment earlier about the hinge making a 'clicking' sound when opening. My previous system (3DSXL Zelda edition) did make the clicking sound however my new one is silent.

Got my hori screen protectors on without any issues as well. I'm ready to dig in and enjoy some MH!

So the clicking isnt normal? Its just one click when opened fully

Rootbeer

Banned
observation on the New 3DS XL

I don't find this to be a problem but it is a slightly annoying

I noticed that on the volume slider, it does not gradually move the sound volume the way you think it should.

i actually can't even hear ANYTHING until the volume slider is about halfway up. From there, I can gradually move it up and the sound increases. but the bottom half of the slider is so low I can not even tell it is on. Maybe in totally silent environments, but it's barely audible.

it's not the speakers, it's the same rather i'm using headphones or not.

wondering if i'm alone in this?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
does the size of the n3DS stylus hole match any other 3DSes? Wondering if there are telescopic ones available because otherwise I might just as well grow my fingernails. Current stylus is too short to rest against my hand so is really difficult to use.

ctfg23

I noticed that on the volume slider, it does not gradually move the sound volume the way you think it should.

i actually can't even hear ANYTHING until the volume slider is about halfway up. From there, I can gradually move it up and the sound increases. but the bottom half of the slider is so low I can not even tell it is on. Maybe in totally silent environments, but it's barely audible.

My volume slider is like this as well.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member

I also noticed this the other day.

Yeah, the slider is not a very convenient volume control. If you put in headphones, getting to the right volume is a pain, cause you have to play with the slider just in the last couple millimeters. I get over this mantaining the slider always at full, and using a Fiio E6 for headphones, which gives better sound and fine volume control. Best design would have been a digital volume control like on DSi, well even the old style volume wheel like on Gameboy was fine.

ps: on my OG 3ds it's even worse as the slider is minuscule and loose.

Same for me.

Top Bottom