• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It's fun to go back to your old games with the stable 3D. In 3D land I used to switch the effect off often, because I couldn't keep the exact position. Now I just leave the slider at max all the time... Why did they ever ship this system without this function :p
So I went back to the remix levels in 3D Land... This is where the game really shines imo. Up to special world 7 and it's getting pretty damn hard.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Come on, Amazon US...

giphy.gif

glaurung

I still haven't received my N3DS XL and reading about all of these System Transfer stories is driving me nuts.

Here's my situation. I have very few items on my current 3DS that I need to move over. At the very least, I want to carry over my Bravely Default save (but I can live even without that in fact).

When I get my N3DS and simply activate my Nintendo ID on there and start from a clean (?) slate (?) -- what will happen to my old 3DS? Can I just erase it somehow and then give it away/sell it?

Nintendo really fucked up with their 1995 style account management.

1st day impressions:

speakers seem kinda borked. Push the slider halfway up and it's still quiet, nudge it up a teeny bit and it blasts sounds. Weird but forgivable.

Stylus placement is OG 3DS levels of bad. What the fuck was Nintendo thinking on that one?

I wouldn't mind the microSD being inside the system except Nintendo only allows Windows PCs to transfer info wireless and not Macs. It only takes a minute to unscrew the backside and pop it off though, so I just have to keep my Phillips handy.

New 3D effect is cool, not that I ever use it.

Upgraded specs are quite nice, Smash Bros 3DS doesn't take twenty seconds just to get to the initial screen anymore.

8.16/10

does the size of the n3DS stylus hole match any other 3DSes? Wondering if there are telescopic ones available because otherwise I might just as well grow my fingernails. Current stylus is too short to rest against my hand so is really difficult to use.
I think the stylus is the same size as OG 3DS.
Probably best to just buy a full size one.

Pachimari

Do anyone else have an analog pad which says click sometimes when you move it around? It also has a line on the black material underneath it, is that normal?

As someone who has used 3D almost every time for the OG 3DS, the Super Stable 3D is amazing. The 3DS should have had this in the first place. Too bad auto-brightness is wonky, but I can live without it. It is going to be an interesting experience to be playing some of my 3DS games with these improvements.
Stylus placement is OG 3DS levels of bad. What the fuck was Nintendo thinking on that one?
This is a lefty speaking, but at least the placement for the OG 3DS doesn't risk a big chance of the stylus falling off. I can imagine the underside of the n3DS XL wearing down and making it easier for your stylus to fall off without even knowing.

I still haven't received my N3DS XL and reading about all of these System Transfer stories is driving me nuts.

Here's my situation. I have very few items on my current 3DS that I need to move over. At the very least, I want to carry over my Bravely Default save (but I can live even without that in fact).

When I get my N3DS and simply activate my Nintendo ID on there and start from a clean (?) slate (?) -- what will happen to my old 3DS? Can I just erase it somehow and then give it away/sell it?

Nintendo really fucked up with their 1995 style account management.

No, as far as I know you can only have a NNID linked to one device of a kind, so one (n)3DS(XL) and one Wii U. Your best bet is just doing a limited transfer or use the option "I use the same microSD card" if you already have a microSD in your current 3DS. After the system transfer the NNID will be unlinked from your old 3DS and can be linked to a new one.

Really don't worry too much about the system transfer, it's intimidating to read about but as soon as I had both 3DSs in front of me it's easy as pie :)

I think the stylus is the same size as OG 3DS.
Probably best to just buy a full size one.

I might not have tried enough but my OG 3Ds telescopic stylus didn't fit my new 3DS.

glaurung

No, as far as I know you can only have a NNID linked to one device of a kind, so one (n)3DS(XL) and one Wii U. Your best bet is just doing a limited transfer or use the option "I use the same microSD card" if you already have a microSD in your current 3DS. After the system transfer the NNID will be unlinked from your old 3DS and can be linked to a new one.

Really don't worry too much about the system transfer, it's intimidating to read about but as soon as I had both 3DSs in front of me it's easy as pie :)
Good to know, much obliged.

I might not have tried enough but my OG 3Ds telescopic stylus didn't fit my new 3DS.
Around the same height, but OG was thicker because of the extension tech.
OG XL stylus is the longest of all SKUs.

The length was restricted when they put it on the bottom. Horizontal meant it could be longer. I get they did not want to bring back extension since it would make it thicker.

Around the same height, but OG was thicker because of the extension tech.
OG XL stylus is the longest of all SKUs.

The length was restricted when they put it on the bottom. Horizontal meant it could be longer.

Ah I see yeah that makes sense. Honestly I have no problem with the new 3DS stylus but I miss the telescopic one, it was so convenient to use.

Getting a N3DS XL (times 2) when they come back into stock in GAME.
Couple of questions for you early adopters:

1) Can someone recommend a good quality, 32Gb Micro-SD? Won't have enough room on the shipped card for my system transfers.

2) How easy is it to replace the Micro SD - I've heard (I think) talk of screws / screwdrivers being required?

Thanks.

Chorazin

Getting a N3DS XL (times 2) when they come back into stock in GAME.
Couple of questions for you early adopters:

1) Can someone recommend a good quality, 32Gb Micro-SD? Won't have enough room on the shipped card for my system transfers.

2) How easy is it to replace the Micro SD - I've heard (I think) talk of screws / screwdrivers being required?

Thanks.

Any 32 Micro-SD card from a reputable manufacturer will be just fine. I'm not sure what speed the SD reader in the N3DS is, but get a Class 10 card just to be on the safe side.

It's stupid easy, you just need a little screwdriver and to real the manual, it tells you how to do it right there.

Yasawas

Does nobody make a hard case for the regular other than the Hori one I can only see listed on Japanese sites? I expected somebody would have one available at launch. Boo.

In more positive news my black Monster Hunter plates have despatched for their two weeks in the limelight before the Triforce ones get here. Yessss.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any 32 Micro-SD card from a reputable manufacturer will be just fine. I'm not sure what speed the SD reader in the N3DS is, but get a Class 10 card just to be on the safe side.

It's stupid easy, you just need a little screwdriver and to real the manual, it tells you how to do it right there.

mine was a Toshiba class 4 4GB.

but yeah, any decent brand - sandisk or samsung Evo seem popular at the moment.

Does nobody make a hard case for the regular other than the Hori one I can only see listed on Japanese sites? I expected somebody would have one available at launch. Boo.

In more positive news my black Monster Hunter plates have despatched for their two weeks in the limelight before the Triforce ones get here. Yessss.
Yeah, my MH plates shipped from Amazon.de as well and my black regular n3DS from Amazon.fr.
Now to wait since I am a bloody American...
tumblr_lzu99sHLMO1qmb3vvo1_500.gif

Mistake

Gold Member
I've been keeping an eye on the 3ds models for a while now, and am still considering on getting one. I just have some questions and concerns first. Can you guys help me out?

1. I heard the original build quality was bad, and became apparent after playing smash. Are the d-pad and stick improved?

2. n3ds vs n3dsxl Is the n3ds screen big enough? Does it really matter? Do you prefer matte or glossy? I play a DS Lite a lot, so I expect this to be a jump for me either way. Which one is more comfortable with the d-pad and stick when using the buttons?

3. With better specs on n3ds, should I just wait for the mod community to catch up? I do imports (live in NoA), and 3ds games aside, would LOVE a snes machine, so colored buttons and face plates look great. I'm also currently broke, so I can't get MM 3dsxl anyway.

Corgi

Banned
main this c stick works... but its fucking awful to use. Been trying to get used to it while playing majora, but it's just wait too resistant. Thumb feels like shit using it, and there is zero way to increase sensitivity which makes it worse.

who's brilliant idea was this? They really should have just don't a slide pad mini in the same position.

dedhead54

Checked three stores so far and no stock anywhere. Checking one more place then giving up. I wonder when places will be getting restocks?

Chorazin

main this c stick works... but its fucking awful to use. Been trying to get used to it while playing majora, but it's just wait too resistant. Thumb feels like shit using it, and there is zero way to increase sensitivity which makes it worse.

who's brilliant idea was this? They really should have just don't a slide pad mini in the same position.

Huh, I feel like mine is super responsive in Monster Hunter 4U and SSB. I wonder if it just feels that way in Majora?

Top Bottom