• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Is there anywhere that sells the new 3DS charging cradle in the US?

Ordered from play-asia. Shipping cost almost as much as the unit, but it is traveling across the globe to my nightstand afterall. Cost $27 overall.

main this c stick works... but its fucking awful to use. Been trying to get used to it while playing majora, but it's just wait too resistant. Thumb feels like shit using it, and there is zero way to increase sensitivity which makes it worse.

who's brilliant idea was this? They really should have just don't a slide pad mini in the same position.
Yeah, I bought a LL CPP just as a curiosity and it is so much better to use than the new system. It has a mold to make it easier to hold, a real analog, and triggers designed for easier holding.

Granted it makes the system harder to be portable, but really prefer XL + CPP to the new XL line.

I am not a fan of the c-stick. It is too stiff for my liking.

Sporad

Neo Member
Black N3DS just arrived, damn good looking machine! But my god the C stick is stiff. Haven't used it yet so final judgement reserved.....

Debs

I am not a fan of the c-stick. It is too stiff for my liking.

It's not supposed to move, I've been seeing a lot of people saying this or that it doesn't move much. It works like a pressure pad, just press lightly on the top. I've been playing MM with it and it works perfectly, I only need to press on it very lightly for it to move in the direction I want. Personally I really love the c-stick and I've had no problems using it.

3DShovel

Been playing with my n3DSXL since yesterday and it's awesome.

Pros:
- The 3D is actually amazing this time around. (Played MM3D on the bus/metro this morning with the 3D on max. Something simply not possible on the older models)
- The performance boost makes a huge difference, and it's very noticeable. Loading up Smash isn't so bad now.
- The c-stick is actually pretty great. Not sure how it'd fair with a shooter, but for controlling the camera in MM3D, it's great. Also tried it for Smash and it's fine there, too (don't use the c-stick much in Smash).
- Auto-brightness
- Buttons feel better. Is it just me or are the ABXY buttons bigger on this model? It sure seems like it.

Cons:
- The position of the power button is the worst. I find myself accidentally hitting it all the time.
- The position of the stylus isn't great, either.
- MicroSD card slot is in an inconvenient place, however, now that I have my 32gb card in there, it's unlikely I'll be touching it ever again.
- The gloss isn't as good as matte, however, it does look 'nicer'

Really happy with it.

1. After the 3DSXL, why did Nintendo revert to a glossy finish? Do they realize we touch these things?

2. Can I use a 32G card that was previously being used in a music player if I trash everything on it first via my PC? Like, it doesn't need to be NEW, does it? The transfer process seems so delicate that I really can't risk making any mistakes on this one. And I don't want to pay another $20 for a new card.

daxy

1. After the 3DSXL, why did Nintendo revert to a glossy finish? Do they realize we touch these things?

2. Can I use a 32G card that was previously being used in a music player if I trash everything on it first via my PC? Like, it doesn't need to be NEW, does it? The transfer process seems so delicate that I really can't risk making any mistakes on this one. And I don't want to pay another $20 for a new card.

1. It's a stupid change, agreed. But, the build quality of the system is far better than the regular XL. It doesn't have any squeaky parts and it feels really solid in your hands.

2. It's likely formatted as it should be already. Should be FAT32 if I'm not mistaken. If you want to be entirely sure, format the card and you should be good to go.

Aslong as it's formatted as FAT32 you are good to go.

1. It's a stupid change, agreed. But, the build quality of the system is far better than the regular XL. It doesn't have any squeaky parts and it feels really solid in your hands.

2. It's likely formatted as it should be already. Should be FAT32 if I'm not mistaken. If you want to be entirely sure, format the card and you should be good to go.

Aslong as it's formatted as FAT32 you are good to go.

Ok, cool. Thanks.

Valus

Ughhhh, my thumb stick broke last night. :( Guess I'm gonna have to upgrade to the new 3DS...but of course the $100 trade-in deal expired already. Are there any other deals out there?

Corgi

Banned

definitely feels like they are desperate with making the new 3ds as 'new' as possible. Let's move everything around to make room for the ZL ZR... but not just that, everything!

I don't think any button/switch/plug location was left the same besides 3d slider, slider and dpad (face button seemed have shifted a bit and gotten bigger).

MacrosTheBlack

Neo Member
Finding myself less excited this go around with the NEW 3DS. Maybe I'm just worn out by the dual low res screens. It's just not that exciting anymore. What I really want is a Vita-like handheld with extra trigger buttons that plays Nintendo games but has a greater selection of mature games like God of War or Uncharted. Hopefully I'm not the only one that desires this kind of handheld.

LostAnkh

So Gamestop.com changed the red and black XLs to Online Only...are we not getting another shipment anytime soon?
Yeah, I talked to a GS employee yesterday about it, and he said they screwed people over with the amount of stock they sent to them. Their promotion with the trade-ins towards the n3DS XL will come back up whenever they get some more units, so it's an ongoing thing only if they have the stock.

oakenhild

I do think that the New 3DS XL is Glossy to differentiate it from the older model - the same with the Old and New Standard 3DS.

Imagine the demo units covered in mystery fingerprints. So visible, and off-putting now.

Other than that, guessing the "ooh, shiny and glossy" sells better.

Yaranaika

My top screen is tinted blue and my bottom screen is tinted red.
And the bottom screen is screwed in too tight, I can see it slightly warp at the sides.

Thanks Nintendo.

Hey guys:

Just to be clear, after doing the system transfer from my old 3DS XL to my new 3ds XL, the old 3DS Xl has no information (NNID, etc) on it and is safe to trade in/sell, right?

Debs

Hey guys:

Just to be clear, after doing the system transfer from my old 3DS XL to my new 3ds XL, the old 3DS Xl has no information (NNID, etc) on it and is safe to trade in/sell, right?

Yep it's safe to trade in after a transfer, it formats the whole system and sets it back to factory default.

kaskade

I think my 3ds is going to come before my charger from nintendo. Maybe I should see if I can find some 3rd party one from walmart or something and then just return it when it comes.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
This is only a small thing but I like the clever power button design, if you look under the led's (like on many laptops for example) the symbols directly underneath corresponds to the function of each led, essentially the power button is a functioning symbol for that led.

oakenhild

Where can I go to pick one of these up? Are they sold out everywhere?

I think it depends on the region.

They're sold out at all major retailers where I live (large midwest city in US). No idea when retailers are expecting more shipments. Hopefully soon.

glaurung

Finally got home and did my System Transfer from the original launch 3DS to my New 3DS XL model.

*sigh*

What a clusterfuck that was. Even though it worked and my Nintendo ID and other stuff is now on the new device, the process itself is a complete joke. I work in IT, I deal with UX issues on a daily basis and whoever thought this was a good solution at Nintendo should never work with user interaction ever again. How many times did I have to tap stuff on my consoles? 8 times? Maybe more? And not just on one device, on both of them. A complete tragedy of a feature.

And the final bit about the SD card on my old system - that question made zero sense and the answering options neither.

But hey, somehow it worked, so good going me.

I got a few questions: my N3DSXL should be arriving either today or tomorrow (another gaffer actually purchased one for me yesterday and did one-day shipping but ordered after the website's "order before this time to ship on the same day" thing), but since my old 3DS broke in two when I dropped it about a month ago, I can't do the system transfer or anything like that.

So, I know that I'm going to have to call Nintendo to get them to delink my NNID from the old broken one so I can link it to my N3DSXL. I know that I'll need to give them my NNID (and password, I'm presuming), the serial for my broken 3DS, and the serial for the N3DSXL (again, presuming this) But is there any other information I'd have to give Nintendo? Also, how long does it take for them to do the delinking? I've heard reports that it was done in a couple hours, others say it took a few days.

Another question is: I already have a 16 gigabyte micro SD card that had my saved data and stuff stored on it, will I be able to retain that data? If I can, how? I already have the data backed up on my laptop.

Yeah, I talked to a GS employee yesterday about it, and he said they screwed people over with the amount of stock they sent to them. Their promotion with the trade-ins towards the n3DS XL will come back up whenever they get some more units, so it's an ongoing thing only if they have the stock.
Sounds like it. The guy at my GS said that no one was able to trade in for any of the LE's because of the mix-up.

It's not supposed to move, I've been seeing a lot of people saying this or that it doesn't move much. It works like a pressure pad, just press lightly on the top. I've been playing MM with it and it works perfectly, I only need to press on it very lightly for it to move in the direction I want. Personally I really love the c-stick and I've had no problems using it.
I know that, but it really is awkward for Smash where lightly touching it doesn't work.
Using any force on the c-stick is a pain.

The camera in MM and MH4 allows a light touch which is fine from what I played. Using the stick as a replacement for analog is bad though.

cianuro

Neo Member
I know the limit for the new Nintendo 3DS is 32GB, but does having a Class 10 or a Class 4 make a difference in speed or performance?

Prices are quite different depending on the Class, even if it's the same capacity. Any facts on this?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
And the final bit about the SD card on my old system - that question made zero sense and the answering options neither.

Glad you pointed this out, because I felt the exact same way. Some of the questions were just... poorly formulated. After I picked what I thought was right, I went online during the transfer to look up if I didn't mess anything up. The whole process made me pretty nervous, not a good sign at all.

What is better on a SD card? Should the level be higher or lower? I found a level 10.

Higher. Generally, Class 10 is the standard these days. Class 4 is fine too for most uses and probably will be for the 3DS XL, but can't confirm. Class 10 is moderately priced and good (about $20 or so for 32GB).

georly

So I play my 3DS in bed every night before bed... and the super stable 3D hates that.

Not because it's dark, but because of how close i am to the screen (I normally wear glasses, but in bed I don't so I have to be like 6-8 inches away from the 3DS. It kinda messed up my nighttime gaming :( :( :( I love the super stable 3D otherwise, so I kinda wish the toggle for it were on the home screen so I didn't have to close the game i'm playing to turn it off. I guess i'll just try to play from a foot away.

So I play my 3DS in bed every night before bed... and the super stable 3D hates that.

Not because it's dark, but because of how close i am to the screen (I normally wear glasses, but in bed I don't so I have to be like 6-8 inches away from the 3DS. It kinda messed up my nighttime gaming :( :( :( I love the super stable 3D otherwise, so I kinda wish the toggle for it were on the home screen so I didn't have to close the game i'm playing to turn it off. I guess i'll just try to play from a foot away.
Yeah, It seems 1 to 2 feet is ideal and anything else it doesn't know what to do.
Had fun experiments with my system.

ultrazilla

I think it depends on the region.

They're sold out at all major retailers where I live (large midwest city in US). No idea when retailers are expecting more shipments. Hopefully soon.

If my local Gamestop is to be believed, they won't be getting another shipment until March 1.

Finally got home and did my System Transfer from the original launch 3DS to my New 3DS XL model.

*sigh*

What a clusterfuck that was. Even though it worked and my Nintendo ID and other stuff is now on the new device, the process itself is a complete joke. I work in IT, I deal with UX issues on a daily basis and whoever thought this was a good solution at Nintendo should never work with user interaction ever again. How many times did I have to tap stuff on my consoles? 8 times? Maybe more? And not just on one device, on both of them. A complete tragedy of a feature.

I'm glad it worked out fine :) About the bolded yeah I agree that question could have been alot better, it works if you think about it but that much thinking shouldn't be necessary. There are three types of SD cards, SD, miniSD and microSD, the system asks you if you use a SD or miniSD card, selecting no will point it correctly to microSD so there's that but a better question would be:

"Are you already using a microSD card? YES/NO" far simpler and less confusing :/

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The double ghosting image on black backgrounds is driving me crazy. Is there any way to fix this? It happens at all settings on the 3D slider.

Basically, whenever there is a 3D element on a black or darker background, I get a ghost image of the object to it's left and right.

I'm pretty sure it's not the head/eye tracking going wrong. When that happens, the entire image blurs.

this circle pad is kind of not good. any time i have it completely forward the "smoothness" gets incredibly spotty to the point where it almost feels like resistance. anyone else with a new 3ds have something similar? or maybe it will smoothen out as a play it more?

Top Bottom