• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

this circle pad is kind of not good. any time i have it completely forward the "smoothness" gets incredibly spotty to the point where it almost feels like resistance. anyone else with a new 3ds have something similar? or maybe it will smoothen out as a play it more?

The regular circle pad right, not the nub?

Yeah, new ones take a bit to break in. It'll get smoother.

Vitacat

The double ghosting image on black backgrounds is driving me crazy. Is there any way to fix this? It happens at all settings on the 3D slider.

Basically, whenever there is a 3D element on a black or darker background, I get a ghost image of the object to it's left and right.

I'm pretty sure it's not the head/eye tracking going wrong. When that happens, the entire image blurs.

It's normal for this technology.

Only thing you can do is adjust the 3D level down to lessen it. At the very lowest level it disappears but you get minimal 3D separation. As you probably noticed, or will notice, some games/levels look better than others. Brighter colored games you may not even see any ghosting.

Been playing with my n3DSXL since yesterday and it's awesome.

Pros:
- The 3D is actually amazing this time around. (Played MM3D on the bus/metro this morning with the 3D on max. Something simply not possible on the older models)
- The performance boost makes a huge difference, and it's very noticeable. Loading up Smash isn't so bad now.
- The c-stick is actually pretty great. Not sure how it'd fair with a shooter, but for controlling the camera in MM3D, it's great. Also tried it for Smash and it's fine there, too (don't use the c-stick much in Smash).
- Auto-brightness
- Buttons feel better. Is it just me or are the ABXY buttons bigger on this model? It sure seems like it.

Cons:
- The position of the power button is the worst. I find myself accidentally hitting it all the time.
- The position of the stylus isn't great, either.
- MicroSD card slot is in an inconvenient place, however, now that I have my 32gb card in there, it's unlikely I'll be touching it ever again.
- The gloss isn't as good as matte, however, it does look 'nicer'

Really happy with it.

In place of auto-brightness, I'd add speakers. Sounds much better! I don't need it on max to enjoy the sound. I disabled Auto brightness because the fluctuations don't do well for me.

I perfectly agree with the Cons. I like the stylus on the right. Is it me or is it hard to even eject the stylus out? Or maybe my backplate isn't in 100% as it was prior to me taking it off.

But yea, HUGE improvements overall. Like upgrading your computer to an SSD, new Monitor and Speakers, and new processor. Essentially new memory as well. 32gb uSD ftw.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It's normal for this technology.

Only thing you can do is adjust the 3D level down to lessen it. At the very lowest level it disappears but you get minimal 3D separation. As you probably noticed, or will notice, some games/levels look better than others. Brighter colored games you may not even see any ghosting.

Yes, Mario Kart 7 looks absolutely fantastic, even fully cranked up.

MH4, on the other hand, has ghosting like crazy because it's a darker game. Lowering the slider is the only solution it seems... I'll give that a try.

Ecto311

Have a class 4 16gb microsd already but a class 10 coming in the mail. Should I wait for that one or just use the class 4 card? Any difference to the system or loads with the faster cards?

The regular circle pad right, not the nub?

Yeah, new ones take a bit to break in. It'll get smoother.

I had this problem with the Old 3DS XL when I got one for Link Between Worlds. The circle pad felt really uncomfortable at first but that dissipated more and more as I played.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How exactly does the improved 3D actually work?

I've heard various things... the camera looks at where your head is, the IR camera actually tracks your eyes... what is it actually doing?

And what is the "ideal" operating environment for the improved 3D? As lit up as possible? Light in front of you, behind you?

I notice that the 3D effect breaks a lot more often in darker games (MH4) than in brighter games (MK7) (breaking as in the entire image becomes blurry, not ghosting). Does the scene being displayed on the screen actually make it harder or easier for the new tracking tech to maintain the 3D effect?

I've heard various things... the camera looks at where your head is, the IR camera actually tracks your eyes... what is it actually doing?
That could be it. I know the IR sensor next to the camera does track your eyes. I have no idea how the actual camera factors into it.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

And what is the "ideal" operating environment for the improved 3D? As lit up as possible? Light in front of you, behind you?

I notice that the 3D effect breaks a lot more often in darker games (MH4) than in brighter games (MK7). Does the scene being displayed on the screen actually make it harder or easier for the new tracking tech to maintain the 3D effect?

Ideal light was a living room with 1 ceiling light for me

I don't know what the IR camera does excatly

Raxious

Damn, reading all these comments are tempting me to buy one and trade in my old 3DS. However, I barely even touched the damn thing, so I'm scared I won't be playing on it and it'll be another waste of money :( Though I'd love to play MH4U on it.

samn

My black n3DS feels so nice and well-made and compact, compared to my old white XL, it's giving me flashbacks to when I switched from og DS to DS lite. They feel like direct successors.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Damn, reading all these comments are tempting me to buy one and trade in my old 3DS. However, I barely even touched the damn thing, so I'm scared I won't be playing on it and it'll be another waste of money :( Though I'd love to play MH4U on it.

I was in the same boat. I thought "hey, maybe I'll be more into it with a bigger screen".

I picked one up on Friday and didn't put it down all weekend. MH4, MK7 and Zelda:MM are all absolutely fantastic.

The build quality on the n3DS is the best I've seen from a Nintendo handheld. And the load times are so goddamn fast... MH4's loading screens are 1 second long. I don't know if that's due to the speed of the microSD I'm using or the CPU, but it's very impressive.

herod

Finding myself less excited this go around with the NEW 3DS. Maybe I'm just worn out by the dual low res screens. It's just not that exciting anymore. What I really want is a Vita-like handheld with extra trigger buttons that plays Nintendo games but has a greater selection of mature games like God of War or Uncharted. Hopefully I'm not the only one that desires this kind of handheld.

nothing about those games is mature

Imagine the demo units covered in mystery fingerprints. So visible, and off-putting now.

Other than that, guessing the "ooh, shiny and glossy" sells better.
Gloss has been used because of the shine. I think PS4 was smart in making 80% matte, 20% gloss. Not sure if Xbox One White is gloss or not, but it doesn't look as dirty as my Wii U. I barely touch it and it is a mess.
I hated it on OG 3DS and Wii U. I don't want another gloss system.

That being said I love my regular n3DS. Damn shame NoA is pretty much refusing it at this point.

Question.

I know there are those rubber nub things you can attach to the Circle Pad on the 3DS to extend it a bit, similar to the ones you can buy for controllers.

My thumb keeps slipping on the New 3DS XL Circle Pad.

Are those worth the $8 to $10? Anyone have those? I want to see how they look on the New 3DS XL and I need feedback on comfort.

Also, if some company put out a grip attachment that also relocated the ZR/ZL buttons ala the 2DS Trigger Grip, I would buy it immediately.

I notice that the 3D effect breaks a lot more often in darker games (MH4) than in brighter games (MK7) (breaking as in the entire image becomes blurry, not ghosting). Does the scene being displayed on the screen actually make it harder or easier for the new tracking tech to maintain the 3D effect?

It is not an IR camera, just an IR led (you can actually see it light up in a dark environment). The camera is sensitive to IR light, just like the camera of your phone for instance. So it is there to help the camera track your face in low-light conditions.

To avoid ghosting you need to be at the exact right distance from the display, which, for the non-XL version is about 20-30cm, a bit too close for my eyes. It depends on how far your eyes are apart. Higher contrast and more depth makes ghosting more obvious.

The tracking seems to have a few set steps. The parallax barrier already was an LCD layer on top of the display, so maybe they use more vertical lines for it now, so they can shift it left and right without any moving parts.

EDIT: The IR LED being so close to the camera might actually cause a red-eye effect in IR, that would make it really easy for the camera to track your eyes.
EDIT2: A quick Google search indicates that this "infra red-eye" technique is indeed used to track your pupils, cool.
EDIT3: Try this: Aim the 3DS camera at your face, set your phone to front-cam, keep the cam as close as possible to the 3DS IR light (hold the phone upside-down) and look at your pupils on the phone display they are clearly white.

quick question that was probably answered but is the new 3ds xl circle pad improved in any way over the older models?

like for smash brothers , i was shook i would break my circle pad on my old 3ds xl

bronk

Banned
So i sent in my new 3ds xl for repair. I was gonna just do an exchange but they are all sold out. I heard peole get it back about a week so im crossing my fingers. Lady told me 2-3 weeks i hope not lol. I tried to just ignore the dead pixels but they drive me crazy lol i had 2.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So far, I really like the system, but I've been having trouble calibrating the stable 3D. For some reason, it only detects my face sometimes on the calibration screen... I wear glasses... could that have to do with it?

FaintDeftone

I had the face tracking go nuts on me last night when I was playing Majora's Mask. It acted like it couldn't detect the position of my face correctly and the 3D effect was out of whack. I had to just turn it off and continue playing until I rebooted the system.

I had the face tracking go nuts on me last night when I was playing Majora's Mask. It acted like it couldn't detect the position of my face correctly and the 3D effect was out of whack. I had to just turn it off and continue playing until I rebooted the system.
Gyro arrows in MM + 3D effect was interesting on the n3DS. I was like "Stop ghosting, I am cutting you off!".

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Right, I got my new 3DS. I went back to normal size because I could never feel comfortable with the XL. The transfer process got scary fast, I got an error on the source system and after it rebooted it had already resetted back to fabric - meanwhile the process continued on the other system and appeared to be stuck on step 5 for over half an hour. Eventually ended, told me there was an error and not everything had transferred but it asked for the microsd and prompted for a reboot. My saves and everything appear to be on the new 3DS, so looks like it worked.

Photo:

image_zpsf3b4fad6.jpg

Pachimari

I sold games like Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time 3D, Luigi's Mansion 2, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Nintendogs + Cars, New Art Academy and Pokemon Y and my OG 3DS for mere $120 last year. Frankly I had to but it sucks.

Here's to get them all back, starting with Zelda as that one will probably be out of stock everywhere soon.

At least I have Steel Diver 3D, Professor Layton Vs Phoenix Wright and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate for now.

I sold games like Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time 3D, Luigi's Mansion 2, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Nintendogs + Cars, New Art Academy and Pokemon Y and my OG 3DS for mere $120 last year. Frankly I had to but it sucks.

Here's to get them all back, starting with Zelda as that one will probably be out of stock everywhere soon.
Maybe EU/NA will have a 40% off sale like Japan.
In my dreams, I wish Nintendo would care about the west.

Pachimari

Maybe EU/NA will have a 40% off sale like Japan.
In my dreams, I wish Nintendo would care about the west.
I want them physically though.

Thinking of getting Resident Evil: Revelations for $7 but I have it for PC, so it's probably not worth it.

I also wonder if we will get any more big first party releases for 3DS besides Fire Emblem, Codename Steam and Xenoblade Chronicles 3D. I really hope so.

By the way, how is Ace Combat for the 3DS? Is it like the classics?

I haven't used it long enough to say that I have played it for an entire day, but I would already like to leave in some Pros and Cons. I only had the OG 3DS before this, so the upgrade is pretty big for me.

Pros:
- Is it just me or does the Circle Pad feel better to grip? I played on my OG 3DS in years and I always had to quickly let go then hold onto the center of it again when holding it in one direction for a while.
- The Internet Browser is finally useful. I wanted to bold that because it is such a HUGE improvement from the old model's Internet Browser. Everything loads faster, 3D Videos on YouTube can be watched, the videos loads quickly, etc. It's now comparable to the Wii U's Internet Browser, which is a very good thing.
- Being able to manage files wirelessly with PC reduces the need to remove the MicroSD Card and put it into the slot. This tedious process can finally go away.
- Loading up Smash, Miiverse, and MH4U is no longer hard to sit through.
- Super Stable 3D is really useful as someone who used 3D most of the time. I'm even wearing glasses and it works quite well.
- I haven't used the C-Stick for a FPS nor Kid Icarus Uprising yet, but it is useful in MM, MH4U, and Smash. It feels weird to move a stick that never budges, but it is responsive.
- The buttons seem to be bigger, and that is a good thing to me.
- Better and louder speakers.
- There is seems to be better contrast on the screen. Looking at Smash, things look a lot better.
- Using the Monster Hunter Edition, it feels very good. I don't know if it is any different from the regular edition of the n3DS XL, but it definitely hides the glossiness. Not to mention that the design can help hide future fingerprints.

Cons:
- That stylus placement (probably because I'm a lefty). I can imagine the system eventually wearing down by constant use and then suddenly people are reporting that their stylus went missing. It is fairly hard to get it out without some extra force, but I feel like this will happen to people later down the line.
- Auto-Brightness is not as reliable as people have been saying. I'm going to try it out some more to see how it will respond to me playing with it on for a whole day, but it is wonky like others say.
- The placement of the MicroSD Card. It won't be a concern for me any longer since I use a 32GB card, but removing the back of the system was dangerous imo. I didn't cause any damage to it, but the MicroSD Card should not be hiding behind a part of the system that seems fragile.
- This is a personal one, but there are one or two visual scratches on the D-Pad even though the system came right out of the box. Nothing to complain about, though. Everything else about the system is fine.

Overall, I'm really liking my system and I'm really glad that I went for the MH Edition.

So what should I do now with my formatted OG 3DS? I was going to sell it to GameStop for the Trade-In deal, but they were quite stubborn about it (and Nintendo's System Transfer did not have this deal in mind at all), so I decided to just keep it.

I want them physically though.
Ah, Best Buy is having GCU for $30 this week which gets you 20% discount off of everything. So if you are buying 5 greatest hits games, you save $6 per game which means the membership pays for itself. Plus that can also be used on all games in the store for any future purchases. I got Pokémon for $32 bucks.
Also good luck finding an OoT/SF64 cart

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I've got my MM N3DSXL and want to leave my games on my old 3DS for my kids to play. However, that account it linked to my Wii U as well.

Does anyone think there will be a good reason to link up the N3DS with the Wii U account instead (promotions, cross play, etc)? Or should I be good with just a new account?

Pachimari

Better brace yourself for finding an OoT cart. You'll need either luck, a lot of money, or both. I'm glad I never sold mine. Have sold many others and regretted it though, much like you.
I've rebought most of them ._.
They actually have it in stock at various online shops here in Denmark, so I should be fine. :)

Ah, Best Buy is having GCU for $30 this week which gets you 20% discount off of everything. So if you are buying 5 greatest hits games, you save $6 per game which means the membership pays for itself. Plus that can also be used on all games in the store for any future purchases. I got Pokémon for $32 bucks.
Also good luck finding an OoT/SF64 cart
I'm in Denmark but thanks for the tip.

Hattori

Banned
Time to rank my n3DS purchases --

Red nXL >> black n3DS > MM nXL

I'm kind of regretting not getting the MH nXL as well, I kind of want to see what it looks like in person.

Time to rank my n3DS purchases --

Red nXL >> black n3DS > MM nXL

I'm kind of regretting not getting the MH nXL as well, I kind of want to see what it looks like in person.

Wait... you own not one, not two, but THREE New 3DS XL units?! Are they all from the same region? And... why?

Busaiku

Putting in a new MicroSD was the worst.
Didn't have the exact screwdriver, so I had to make do, and it took forever.
The left screw would just not come either, felt I was gonna break.
At least Nintendo convinced me to never buy another, regardless of the design, so thanks for letting me save money.

The stylus and power placements are also absurd. Seriously, what was Nintendo thinking, the 3DS XL was perfect. Now it's a huge mess.

Still transferring, so I can't say too much else right now, but it's definitely brighter and louder.

The Monster Hunter design is great though.
Smudges will not be a problem.

Top Bottom