• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Hattori

Banned
Wait... you own not one, not two, but THREE New 3DS XL units?! Are they all from the same region? And... why?
No, I have a black regular n3DS (JPN) so only 2 nXLs. I initially only wanted to get the MM nXL, but the GS Trade in promo enabled me to get the Red for about $25. (Traded in a 2DS and my old XL)

ZOONAMI

Anyone else experiencing a ton of ghosting? Way more than my previous xl and og 3ds. I'm gonna return it. I don't think the super stable 3d is working properly. When I try to calibrate it gives me a message that it isn't working when i move my head, as it suggests I do in order to calibrate. I also don't think the looseness of my hinge is acceptable.

I haven't used it long enough to say that I have played it for an entire day, but I would already like to leave in some Pros and Cons. I only had the OG 3DS before this, so the upgrade is pretty big for me.

Pros:

- Being able to manage files wirelessly with PC reduces the need to remove the MicroSD Card and put it into the slot. This tedious process can finally go away.

THIS! F'n this!

I was asking myself after the data transfer was done for my XL, "What happens if I need to get rid of the music from the Sound Channel? Do I need to remove the back cover again?!".
Then checked the Data Management option and found micro SD card, then followed the instructions to register it to my laptop.

Wow. I never thought I needed this until now.

No, I have a black regular n3DS (JPN) so only 2 nXLs. I initially only wanted to get the MM nXL, but the GS Trade in promo enabled me to get the Red for about $25. (Traded in a 2DS and my old XL)

Ah, I see. I have regular white n3DS from Japan. Now the novelty has worn off as I have a nXL.

baconcow

Anyone else experiencing a ton of ghosting? Way more than my previous xl and og 3ds. I'm gonna return it. I don't think the super stable 3d is working properly. When I try to calibrate it gives me a message that it isn't working when i move my head, as it suggests I do in order to calibrate. I also don't think the looseness of my hinge is acceptable.

What form of ghosting? Double images against a dark background?

I actually found a new xl today, called a gamestop between classes and they actually had one, so I ended up leaving campus.

I also ordered a memory card on amazon but that hasn't arrived yet, could I set up my 3ds w/ a eshop account or Nintendo ID on the default memory card and then transfer it to my new one when it comes in, or should I just wait? Also has anyone tried the gamestop branded charger for 3ds, if so how is it?

psychotron

Got to try out the stable 3D on the train today, where it was previously impossible to use. It was fucking glorious!! I left 3D on full the entire time with zero issues. Amazing!

Vena

I actually found a new xl today, called a gamestop between classes and they actually had one, so I ended up leaving campus.

I also ordered a memory card on amazon but that hasn't arrived yet, could I set up my 3ds w/ a eshop account or Nintendo ID on the default memory card and then transfer it to my new one when it comes in, or should I just wait?

Once you've transfered the licenses to the new console (as that's on internal space, iirc), I think you can swap cards with a PC moving all the files if need be, same as it worked with the OG models.

What were they stubborn about? Not in good condition?
I pretty much had to give the OG 3DS towards pre-order even though I wanted to trade it in once I had my n3DS since I knew that I needed to do the System Transfer to keep all of my data safe. This was before they extended the Trade-In deal from Feb 13 to Feb 15, by the way.

//ARCANUM

well gamestop.com is reporting there is a MM n3DSXL at the fort hood location (which is 52 miles from me lol)... i wonder if they really have it..... if anyone is near there, you might want to give them a call.

Ah, I see. I have regular white n3DS from Japan. Now the novelty has worn off as I have a nXL.
I had the new XL in my hands and was not really impressed personally. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
I am more excited getting a black regular and putting the Zelda plate on it.

AEREC

So I will be doing a transfer to my new 3DS when I get home from work today...I did purchase a 32GB microSD card that I havent isntalled yet...whats the first thing I should do regarding that?

1. Replace the 4GB microSD with the new 32GB microSD card then let the N3DS format it and then go through the transfer process?

or

2. Go through the transfer process with the preinstalled 4GB N3DS card and then when it gets to the point where you copy the data to a PC...then copy it to the 32GB card and isntall.

Im pretty sure it's option 1, but I just want to make sure...thanks!

Once you've transfered the licenses to the new console (as that's on internal space, iirc), I think you can swap cards with a PC moving all the files if need be, same as it worked with the OG models.

Thanks! I'm not transferring any licences between an older 3ds and the current one, but what if I buy a eshop game on the default card, and swap files to the bigger mem card when it comes in, would that be an issue?

I've got my MM N3DSXL and want to leave my games on my old 3DS for my kids to play. However, that account it linked to my Wii U as well.

Does anyone think there will be a good reason to link up the N3DS with the Wii U account instead (promotions, cross play, etc)? Or should I be good with just a new account?
There have been a few cross sale promotions.

I believe the wiiu supports up to 8 NNIDs, so you could make a new NNID on the new 3ds and use it on your wii u as needed for any cross sale stuff that comes in the future.

Vena

Thanks! I'm not transferring any licences between an older 3ds and the current one, but what if I buy a eshop game on the default card, and swap files to the bigger mem card when it comes in, would that be an issue?

Not as far as I am aware. Outside of the transferring process being a bit "odd", everything else should behave exactly as it did with the OG models so if you buy something with your NNID on the new hardware and just swap cards, then you won't have a problem and can move files around using your PC.

moorecore

Neo Member
So i've just got my New XL delivered and performed the system transfer only to find that the Home button doesn't work, and it seems that there's a couple of other reports of this happening online. Any ideas?

THIS! F'n this!

I was asking myself after the data transfer was done for my XL, "What happens if I need to get rid of the music from the Sound Channel? Do I need to remove the back cover again?!".
Then checked the Data Management option and found micro SD card, then followed the instructions to register it to my laptop.

Wow. I never thought I needed this until now.
Odd how Nintendo doesn't really advertise about this feature besides on their own site. This is pretty important since no one would want to remove the back cover more than once. I like to show off Tomodachi Life screenshots to my internet friends.

moorecore

Neo Member
So i've just got my New XL delivered and performed the system transfer only to find that the Home button doesn't work, and it seems that there's a couple of other reports of this happening online. Any ideas?

Just had a thought and managed to 'fix' this but still can't help but be concerned...

As the Home button sits directly above the headphone jack, I plugged a headset into the jack and gave it a wiggle. Then the Home button started working.

Hopefully this will now stay working but very disapointed to have found something of a design flaw with what otherwise seems like a solid piece of kit. I'm certainly hopeful that this doesnt become a recurring problem.

Vena

Just had a thought and managed to 'fix' this but still can't help but be concerned...

As the Home button sits directly above the headphone jack, I plugged a headset into the jack and gave it a wiggle. Then the Home button started working.

Hopefully this will now stay working but very disapointed to have found something of a design flaw with what otherwise seems like a solid piece of kit. I'm certainly hopeful that this doesnt become a recurring problem.

Probably means a loose connection or the board hadn't "popped" into place. Depending on how savvy with electronics you are, you could open up the 3DS and look inside and see. If not, you could always take it in for a replacement.

I found a solution if the eye tracking sucks for you...
Go to settings, other settings, super stable 3d (3D+ icon).
Improved the eye tracking by 30%.

There have been a few cross sale promotions.

I believe the wiiu supports up to 8 NNIDs, so you could make a new NNID on the new 3ds and use it on your wii u as needed for any cross sale stuff that comes in the future.
Cross promotions have to be bought on the same NNID and if another user already owns something I don't think you can buy it so doing that might make things worse.

I've got my MM N3DSXL and want to leave my games on my old 3DS for my kids to play. However, that account it linked to my Wii U as well.

Does anyone think there will be a good reason to link up the N3DS with the Wii U account instead (promotions, cross play, etc)? Or should I be good with just a new account?
Just leave the New 3DS without an NNID for now. Unless you are really dying for a demo or a f2p game (fuck Nintendo for making these mandatory to have NNID for). Not having an NNID means if you ever do transfer you can consolidate any purchases you make there into the NNID. Having another NNID on there means the purchases are tied to that NNID.

Hopefully a handheld successor will be able to support multiple users and other things...

Man why is there a 7 day restriction for transferring. Fucking retarded.
This and the transfer limit were to discourage people from scooping up digital libaries from secondhand systems (as content merged, using up two of the 5 uses and having to wait a week to get it back onto your 3DS are not fun) as nobody likes digital content resold. Of course NNID kind of prevents both by stealing the licenses from the system and many people making it because they need demos or f2p games (when NNID was introduced to 3DS they transfer limit vanished).

Revven

I gotta say the MM3DSXL is beautiful looking in-person. I like it a lot and I'm actually really happy I bought it. I thought I'd regret it since I was perfectly happy with my OG but now... I definitely am glad I finally upgraded from that lol. It feels so much more comfortable in my hands and the bigger screen looks soooo nice (haven't tried a game with it yet though, currently transferring stuff over).

Ugh, my New 3DS XL came with a shitty right-hand back panel screw that I had to strip just to get the damn panel off (using the correct Philips #0 screwdriver no less). Left screw is fine and comes off effortlessly.

Anyone know if these stupid screws are commercially available? I'd rather just replace it myself than have to send this thing to Nintendo and not see it for who knows how long.

This awful back panel and how much force it requires to remove are horrible design flaws that I can't believe made it through QA. Maybe it's just a tiny percentage of systems that have this issue?

Revven

Ugh, my New 3DS XL came with a shitty right-hand back panel screw that I had to strip just to get the damn panel off (using the correct Philips #0 screwdriver no less). Left screw is fine and comes off effortlessly.

Anyone know if these stupid screws are commercially available? I'd rather just replace it myself than have to send this thing to Nintendo and not see it for who knows how long.

This awful back panel and how much force it requires to remove are horrible design flaws that I can't believe made it through QA. Maybe it's just a tiny percentage of systems that have this issue?

I didn't have much issue with my back panel. Unscrewed both until I heard a little sound and then used the stylus to crack open each side (there's two little open cracks on both sides on the back). Could just be your unit had a bad screw?

Koppai

Anyone asked Nintendo if they are planning on releasing the charging cradle here? Forgot to order it with my Japanese New 3DS a few weeks ago lol.

10988917_10152600830961646_7026745181027352305_n.jpg

Anyone asked Nintendo if they are planning on releasing the charging cradle here? Forgot to order it with my Japanese New 3DS a few weeks ago lol.
Only Amazon.com which says Nintendo does not plan to ship the XL charge cradle to them.
Also lol 2 systems

How exactly does the improved 3D actually work?

I've heard various things... the camera looks at where your head is, the IR camera actually tracks your eyes... what is it actually doing?

And what is the "ideal" operating environment for the improved 3D? As lit up as possible? Light in front of you, behind you?

I notice that the 3D effect breaks a lot more often in darker games (MH4) than in brighter games (MK7) (breaking as in the entire image becomes blurry, not ghosting). Does the scene being displayed on the screen actually make it harder or easier for the new tracking tech to maintain the 3D effect?

I've played with the stable 3D and it is likely to detect your face then track your eyes. The initial presentation actually says so IIRC.
The ideal lighting would be no back lighting (so the camera can see you face), face well lit without reflections on your glasses (anti-reflection glasses help).

Are you sure it's not the otherway around? Meaning better experience with darker screen? It would make more sense if you have non-coated glasses.

Exile20

Maybe cause mine came off so easily. Simple as shit. Took 30 secs.

I didn't have much issue with my back panel. Unscrewed both until I heard a little sound and then used the stylus to crack open each side (there's two little open cracks on both sides on the back). Could just be your unit had a bad screw?

Yeah, I think mine just has a bad screw. Like I said, the lefthand screw unscrewed effortlessly (even though the left side of the panel still took the strength of a gorilla to pry off, even using the tip of the stylus to open it from the crack), but the righthand screw is just lodged in there like a mother and my screwdriver can't get a grip on it (and I can see that it's obviously a little stripped).

I can just barely get at the microSD slot with the panel pulled halfway open, so I guess it's not a complete loss, but still... what a (first-world) pain in the ass.

ZeroAKA

That might be the case because I had a problem with my right screw too. I managed to get it off after about 15 minutes, but I left a small scratch on the right side while trying to pull the panel off.

That might be the case because I had a problem with my right screw too. I managed to get it off after about 15 minutes, but I left a small scratch on the right side while trying to pull the panel off.

Interesting. Sounds like this could be an issue affecting at least a few systems out there. Thankfully I didn't scratch mine, but the back panel is just a pain in the ass to get off in general. Shame too, because that's the one real downside/step back with the n3DS XL compared to the original XL.

Ugh, can't get the screws to come out, which seems like a problem others are having. I'm using a #00, but it can't get a grip. Do I need a #0?

As far as I understand it you're using the correct screwdriver (I also used a #00, which is what Nintendo recommends), but it might not matter if yours came with a stripped screw like mine did. :(

CLEEK

How exactly does the improved 3D actually work?

I've heard various things... the camera looks at where your head is, the IR camera actually tracks your eyes... what is it actually doing?

And what is the "ideal" operating environment for the improved 3D? As lit up as possible? Light in front of you, behind you?

I notice that the 3D effect breaks a lot more often in darker games (MH4) than in brighter games (MK7) (breaking as in the entire image becomes blurry, not ghosting). Does the scene being displayed on the screen actually make it harder or easier for the new tracking tech to maintain the 3D effect?

Lighting doesn't seem to be important. I've played mine in strong sunlight and at night in a dark room, and the 3D works. The camera switches over to IR in low light - you can see when it's using IR when the camera lens gets a red glow, HAL 9000 style.

I'm not sure if it's based on face tracking or eye tracking. The stable 3D works when I wear my sunglasses, and I doubt the camera scan see my eyes through my dark lenses. The Nintendo support page only mentions tracking your face.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo...a_id/13792/~/how-to-calibrate-super-stable-3d

Ensure that your features are not hidden, that the camera is not dirty or obstructed, and that the inner camera is not detecting someone else's face.

While performing this step, if the New Nintendo 3DS system loses tack of your face you will receive a message on the upper screen that says, "Super-Stable 3D must be able to detect a face to function properly.

Gurrry

About to start my trasnfer process. Do I need to put my new 32 gb SD card in the new xl first before I start the transfer?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Interesting. Sounds like this could be an issue affecting at least a few systems out there. Thankfully I didn't scratch mine, but the back panel is just a pain in the ass to get off in general. Shame too, because that's the one real downside/step back with the n3DS XL compared to the original XL.

As far as I understand it you're using the correct screwdriver (I also used a #00, which is what Nintendo recommends), but it might not matter if yours came with a stripped screw like mine did. :(

And people thought those complaning about the screws were being dramatic.

Btw I recommend you guys use one of these

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BDDG8Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The screwdriver has a little hole you stick a metal pin into so that you can get enough torque to unscrew. This lowers the chance of stripping the screw.

What a shitty design decision by Nintendo.

Alex

Better brace yourself for finding an OoT cart. You'll need either luck, a lot of money, or both. I'm glad I never sold mine. Have sold many others and regretted it though, much like you.
I've rebought most of them ._.

Wow had no idea that it was so expensive now, that's kind of bizarre. When I bought mine like...a year after release, I think? It seemed like it was constantly on sale for 20 dollars.

Holy shit. So I loosened my screws and got absolutely nowhere in removing the backplate, so I went to Home Depot to make sure I had the right screwdriver. I just loosened them again and this thing seriously will not freaking come off. How the hell do I get it off? And what part of the stylus do I use? I've already scratched off a little paint on the hinge :'o

Gurrry

more info on this? i had no idea this was possible and can't find anything with a quick google

From what I heard, doing it over wifi takes ages. Dan from GiantBomb did this and reported it taking like 8 hours. Sounds ridiculous.

Not to mention, if you only have 1 AC adapter, youre gonna have to swap them from 3ds to 3ds just to keep them charged long enough to complete the process.

Also - if you want to upgrade from the 4gb, you have to put the card in anyway. Nintendo could atleast do us a solid and give us more than 4 fucking gb for being loyal customers and upgrading to the new 3ds when its probably going to go along the same path as the DSi.

Not to mention, the sd card they give you is a toshiba, which is the cheapest on the market.

Holy shit. So I loosened my screws and got absolutely nowhere in removing the backplate, so I went to Home Depot to make sure I had the right screwdriver. I just loosened them again and this thing seriously will not freaking come off. How the hell do I get it off? And what part of the stylus do I use? I've already scratched off a little paint on the hinge :'o

I just took mine off. You really have to kind pull it up and push down at the same time. I felt like I was going to break it to be honest. Just give it a strong pull and it will come out. Just dont lose the screws.

And my opinion on having to unscrew the back to put a new card in is that it is a terrible design choice and goes against Nintendo's usual mantra. I dont understand it. Its not like the sd card coming out was ever an issue on older models. It obviously doesnt save space either considering this model is slightly bigger over all than the previous XL.

Top Bottom