• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Not sure if it was a problem with mine, but the screws didn't actually come off. They only loosened a little bit.

As far as I understand it you're using the correct screwdriver (I also used a #00, which is what Nintendo recommends), but it might not matter if yours came with a stripped screw like mine did. :(

Just looosen them. The screws are not meant to be removed.

Thanks guys! I had to jam the screwdriver in there to get it to grip at all. Got the right screw loosened and couldn't get the left for some reason so I kind of opened half the panel and snuck my SD card in there. While I was doing said sneaking, the left one came off anyways. *shrug* I replaced the card, put the plate back on, and screwed them back in. Hopefully I never have to do that again. My fingertips hurt. :/

overcast

I'm debating whether or not I should just get an upgraded microSD when the time comes hmm. I typically go physical on games, but you never no.

more info on this? i had no idea this was possible and can't find anything with a quick google
Normally with an older model, you would have to take out your SD Card and put it into the PC to manage files. With the n3DS however, you are able to wirelessly connect to your PC so you can manage files without ever having to remove it from the system.
It can be found when going to System Settings, Data, and there is an option saying microSD Card Management. There is a step-by-step process they give you to do it.

I just took mine off. You really have to kind pull it up and push down at the same time. I felt like I was going to break it to be honest. Just give it a strong pull and it will come out. Just dont lose the screws.

And my opinion on having to unscrew the back to put a new card in is that it is a terrible design choice and goes against Nintendo's usual mantra. I dont understand it. Its not like the sd card coming out was ever an issue on older models. It obviously doesnt save space either considering this model is slightly bigger over all than the previous XL.

Thanks a lot, I just finally got it off. It sounded like something broke though.

What an unbelievably horrible design choice, I don't even.... At least this 32gb should be enough forever.

CLEEK

more info on this? i had no idea this was possible and can't find anything with a quick google

It's pretty much worthless, as it takes so god damn long to transfer data.

I used to back my 3DS's SD card up on my laptop once a month. Which was a piece of piss to do. Just pop the SD card out of the 3Ds and put into the SD carder reader built into my laptop.

Faffing around with dismantling the n3DS and digging out the miscoSD adapter meant the wireless backup sounded great. Until I tried it, and it took ~4 hours to back up about 6GB of data.

ZOONAMI

It's pretty much worthless, as it takes so god damn long to transfer data.

I used to back my 3DS's SD card up on my laptop once a month. Which was a piece of piss to do. Just pop the SD card out of the 3Ds and put into the SD carder reader built into my laptop.

Faffing around with dismantling the n3DS and digging out the miscoSD adapter meant the wireless backup sounded great. Until I tried it, and it took ~4 hours to back up about 8GB of data.

I guess just set it up for a transfer in the morning before work and done when you get home?

Bulbasaur

Banned
Just bought a 64gb Adata micro sd off Ebay for $27AUD from within the country so I wont have to wait as long if I'd gone with a cheaper option from China.

As soon as that bad boy arrives I'm going to run to Target and grab me a new 3DS and some of those camouflage face plates.

samn

Why do I keep getting blurs while playing games on 3D? I'm hardly moving... is there a way to just turn off the face tracking?

You can calibrate it by going to settings > additional settings > super stable 3d, play with the slider until it feels better

Or you can just switch it off there entirely.

Okay, so I just did the following:

Start using your new and bigger MicroSD card in your current system before doing the transfer to make the system transfer process to your new system easier. Do this by copying the contents of your current SD card to a folder on your pc, and then copying the contents from that folder to your new MicroSD. Then, by using the MicroSD to SD card adapter, start using this MicroSD in your current 3DS.

Once you have your New Nintendo 3DS system, simply start the transfer process as usual. At a certain point during the transfer process, you will be asked the question “Are you using an SD card or miniSD card with your system?". Choose 'No', because you're using a MicroSD card.

When the transfer is completed, simply take out the MicroSD out of your original 3DS and put it in the New Nintendo 3DS.* Done!

* Be aware that a Phillips #0 screwdriver is required to access the MicroSD card of the New Nintendo 3DS.

Yet when I put my micro SD in my current 3ds (with the adapter to make it a normal sized one), it says "Could not detect an SD card. The software on the SD card could not be displayed". Any help is greatly appreciated, this is so frustrating...

EDIT: Hmm... I turned the lock on for one power up and it said it cannot read it because it was write-protected, then when I switched it back off it worked. Good stuff

Gurrry

welp fuck it

went for the wireless transfer because this shit is super confusing.

for one, i dont want to have to remove the back again. which i would be required to do if I did the PC tranfser.

secondly, wtf nintendo. this process is so convoluted. i had to watch a guide on youtube and even then I still wasnt sure i was doing it right.

horrrrrrrrible horrrrrrible design on multiple levels

thank god the system itself is bad ass.

Veal

So here are my impressions of this grip :http://www.eachmall.com/goods-44249-53747.html I'm on my phone, so sorry for the lack of formatting and such.

Like most grips, just using it makes a huge difference. Being able to to have some leeway with hand positioning helps immensely. It became easier for me to wrangle that c-stick or use the the new shoulder buttons for instance. Build quality could be better as it feels fairly light and doesn't have the tightest fit. It's not going to move or fall out of the shell, but there is a little give and it doesn't feel as solid as the Circle Pad Pro or CyberGadget's grip (still the best in my opinion.) This is a solid option if you are like me and can't stand the default ergonomics of the 3DS.

Got my Majora's Mask new 3DS XL today. Just started the transfarring process. Went with the wireless option. Same size cards. The speakers sound good and the transfer animations are as cute as ever. Will play some levels of 3D World first I think. Then start on Fire Emblem or Kid Icarus.

If any AusGAFers are interested, Target's doing a 20% off sale on their Ebay store when you use the code 'CTARGET20' at checkout. New 3DS is $157.60, XL is $183.20, free shipping. I told myself I was going to be fine with my old XL, but I had to jump on this. Probably the lowest price we'll see in Australia (although now that I've bought one it'll undoubtedly go cheaper in the next few days :p).

Gurrry

Well.. i think im at like 13% with the wireless transfer in about 10-15 minutes. I guess thats not too bad.

Although, I dont even know if im at 13% considering they opted for this ridiculous looking pikmin sd card thing over a natural progress bar...

Also - I just noticed that it says 1/6 at the bottom. Does that mean I have to do 6 rounds of this tedious pikmin download/transfer thing???

Fuck man. Maybe im just in a bad mood. Everything about this is getting on my nerves.

I just want to fucking playyyyyyy

CLEEK

Don't do wireless transfers! They take forever!

Best method is:

• Copy data from SD card onto microSD card.
  • Put the microSD card into an SD card adapter, then put that into your old 3DS.
  • Start the normal transfer and let it complete.
  • Once finished, remove the SD card adapter, take the microSD card and put into n3DS
  • Start up n3DS and complete the transfer.
Easy. Takes minutes, not hours, and it's as foolproof as you can get.

Bulbasaur

Banned
If any AusGAFers are interested, Target's doing a 20% off sale on their Ebay store when you use the code 'CTARGET20' at checkout. New 3DS is $157.60, XL is $183.20, free shipping. I told myself I was going to be fine with my old XL, but I had to jump on this. Probably the lowest price we'll see in Australia (although now that I've bought one it'll undoubtedly go cheaper in the next few days :p).

Thanks heaps I couldn't help myself. I used the code but I got billed for the original price which is weird.

Did the Micro SD/SD to n3DS transfer from my old XL. Took about 5-8 minutes. Super painless process.

The 3D is INCREDIBLY better. It just makes the old consoles look like defective pieces of garbage. So much better now.

Also, as I asked above, does everyone's top screen move laterally a bit?

Gurrry

Did the Micro SD/SD to n3DS transfer from my old XL. Took about 5-8 minutes. Super painless process.

The 3D is INCREDIBLY better. It just makes the old consoles look like defective pieces of garbage. So much better now.

My MM XL has zero lateral movement.

misterck

I don't understand why some people are having difficulties removing the back panel to swap out SD cards, just make sure you use a #0 (not #00) and use the side of the stylus that has the deep indent to remove the backplate (lay the 3ds topside down on a table put the stylus in the grooves and pull straight up swiftly).

It definetley is a crap design choice but easy enough to do without marking your case.

OuterLimits

Still waiting on my order from Best Buy. :( Damn snow in Virginia has delayed the delivery. Hopefully it arrives tomorrow. Looking forward to playing Mon Hun 4, but want to wait until the new 3DS arrives.

Soul Beat

So a friend got a n3DS XL today. She can't do the transfer right now, but wants to play Majora's Mask on it. Can she do so and then do the transfer later or is that a no go?

I think it should be fine just as long as she doesn't make a new NNID, I just wanted to double check.

Mine does! Scares me when turning up the volume.

Gurrry

So a friend got a n3DS XL today. She can't do the transfer right now, but wants to play Majora's Mask on it. Can she do so and then do the transfer later or is that a no go?

I think it should be fine just as long as she doesn't make a new NNID, I just wanted to double check.

Before doing the transfer it told me not to play anything on this SD card because it will be deleted when I do it.

Im not sure about using a different NNID, but im pretty sure any save data on her new 3ds prior to being transferred, will be gone.

Revven

Well.. i think im at like 13% with the wireless transfer in about 10-15 minutes. I guess thats not too bad.

Although, I dont even know if im at 13% considering they opted for this ridiculous looking pikmin sd card thing over a natural progress bar...

Also - I just noticed that it says 1/6 at the bottom. Does that mean I have to do 6 rounds of this tedious pikmin download/transfer thing???

Fuck man. Maybe im just in a bad mood. Everything about this is getting on my nerves.

I just want to fucking playyyyyyy

Are you doing the license/save transfer or... the literal full WiFi transfer? If the former, mine only took about an hour to transfer but... that's because I have zero files for the 3DS Camera app, sound app, and the software data for 3DS base apps (like Face Raiders) was really small. The first part, in my whole transfer, took the longest (about 40-50 minutes?) Oh, also, the transfer might look like it's stalled but it's actually not so don't panic if you don't see the Pikmin moving the icons over to the next percentage for some time.

If you did the license/save transfer and you don't have many files in the other parts it has to transfer yours should take just as long as mine did. Unless you have a ton more digital content than me (which I also had the Ambassador games that needed their licenses transferred over).

But again, only the first part should take the longest. The second longest part of the transfer was the game save data but definitely under like 10 minutes for that.

SenkiDala

imo, nontendo made it way to hard to take off the back case on the new xl.

Well it's not "easy" to take it off, sure, but it's not that hard too, took me about 2 minutes to take it off. But well I'm used to do that kind of stuff all the time. ^^

Well it's not "easy" to take it off, sure, but it's not that hard too, took me about 2 minutes to take it off. But well I'm used to do that kind of stuff all the time. ^^
They really should have release the cover plate video over here. It is really simple.

I finally got my Majora's Mask n3DS XL today. Seems like it took forever to ship, but I finally got it!

Then I picked the wireless transfer option because I like the Pikmin thing... I'm never going to get to play this thing! This is the third time I've done the transfer and I swear it never took this long. It took maybe an hour last time? 90 minutes at the most. It's been over three hours now and it just got to the 75% part... and is only on par 1/6 (can't remember what that means).

I have maybe 9 GB worth of stuff to transfer, I think. It shouldn't take this long!!!

I have maybe 9 GB worth of stuff to transfer, I think. It shouldn't take this long!!!
It should not, but Nintendo thinks it is 2007 holding back units because of the recession.
Why in the world is the card slot on the bottom...
It's so close to my fingers, I feel like I might accidentally eject a game when doing more intense games....

Seriously the system has so many dumb hardware design choices, whoever designed this was out of their mind.
It feels like the top and bottom were flipped during production.

Busaiku

It's so close to my fingers, I feel like I might accidentally eject a game when doing more intense games....

Seriously the system has so many dumb hardware design choices, whoever designed this was out of their mind.

shanafan

I am aware of the whole CN thing, but is there any where I can register my New Nintendo 3DS? Even for warranty purposes?

I accidentally turned it on twice when I was trying to get the back off.

Gurrry

Are you doing the license/save transfer or... the literal full WiFi transfer? If the former, mine only took about an hour to transfer but... that's because I have zero files for the 3DS Camera app, sound app, and the software data for 3DS base apps (like Face Raiders) was really small. The first part, in my whole transfer, took the longest (about 40-50 minutes?) Oh, also, the transfer might look like it's stalled but it's actually not so don't panic if you don't see the Pikmin moving the icons over to the next percentage for some time.

If you did the license/save transfer and you don't have many files in the other parts it has to transfer yours should take just as long as mine did. Unless you have a ton more digital content than me (which I also had the Ambassador games that needed their licenses transferred over).

But again, only the first part should take the longest. The second longest part of the transfer was the game save data but definitely under like 10 minutes for that.

Shit, well, now im not sure what I did. I think im doing the full wifi transfer. Its working on the 75% block now.

I have a few digital games, like Mario Golf and Animal Crossing... but not that many.

Go pikmin go!

Bubba77

So i picked up the new 3ds as an upgrade to my xl which honestly i havent touched in a long time. It gave me a reason to go play a lot of games i have bought but have never really gotten into. Ive been overnight for work the last 3 days and finally threw in my copy of theatre rythym final fantasy curtain call. Holy crap that game is awesome. I just sunk 2 hours into it while lying in bed in my hotel room. Im a big final fantasy fan and love FF music. I probably have 100+ FF mp3s on my iphone. This game makes it incredibly fun to play along while listening to the amazing music from each of the games. I cant wait to play more.

One thought though would be to put remastered versions of songs from ff6-9. Some of the fully orchestrated versions of those songs are amazing and would have liked to play through them. Either way this game is great!

Revven

Shit, well, now im not sure what I did. I think im doing the full wifi transfer. Its working on the 75% block now.

I have a few digital games, like Mario Golf and Animal Crossing... but not that many.

Go pikmin go!

There were three options to choose from, did you choose the first or the second? The first option is the full complete transfer, the second option is the one I'm talking about. And third, obviously, is PC.

Gurrry

There were three options to choose from, did you choose the first or the second? The first option is the full complete transfer, the second option is the one I'm talking about. And third, obviously, is PC.

It was the first. They are working on the 100% block now.

Am I almost through the hard part? Or is there more trouble to come?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.

Nintendo, this transfer business is fucking balls.

Get new system.

Set it up.

Won't connect to wifi. Try on other 3DS. Works fine. Try on new one. Won't work.

Give up.

Tells me to transfer anyway. Try it. Fails, since it can't connect to the internet.

Whatever.

I finally setup internet on new 3DS.

I go to system settings -> transfer.

I have to go to the eShop "at least once."

I open eShop.

It forces me to do a download. Do the download.

Go to transfer. Guess that didn't count as visiting the eShop.

Go to eShop.

Agree to terms.

Go to system transfer.

Grab original 3DS. Go to transfer.

Have to update system. Update system.

Go to system transfer.

Finally have both system transfers going.

Won't connect to the internet... error.

Forge ahead.

FINALLY transferring. Most convoluted instructions of all fucking time.

Wade through pages of notes.

Transfer takes 2 hours.

At 6/6, the source system gets disconnected. Even though I was watch Youtube on my PC and downloading a game on my Mac without issue.

Now new MM 3DS is stuck on step 6/6.

I end up having to restart it. Basically at Square 1.

It's 10:15 at night... been trying to do this for four hours.

Gurrry

HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.

Nintendo, this transfer business is fucking balls.

Get new system.

Set it up.

Won't connect to wifi. Try on other 3DS. Works fine. Try on new one. Won't work.

Give up.

Tells me to transfer anyway. Try it. Fails, since it can't connect to the internet.

Whatever.

I finally setup internet on new 3DS.

I go to system settings -> transfer.

I have to go to the eShop "at least once."

I open eShop.

It forces me to do a download. Do the download.

Go to transfer. Guess that didn't count as visiting the eShop.

Go to eShop.

Agree to terms.

Go to system transfer.

Grab original 3DS. Go to transfer.

Have to update system. Update system.

Go to system transfer.

Finally have both system transfers going.

Won't connect to the internet... error.

Forge ahead.

FINALLY transferring. Most convoluted instructions of all fucking time.

Wade through pages of notes.

Transfer takes 2 hours.

At 6/6, the source system gets disconnected. Even though I was watch Youtube on my PC and downloading a game on my Mac without issue.

Now new MM 3DS is stuck on step 6/6.

I end up having to restart it. Basically at Square 1.

It's 10:15 at night... been trying to do this for four hours.

Fuck.

The Pikmin are really flying across the screen now! Step 1/6 took forever, but now they've just started step 5/6. RUN YOU LITTLE FREAKS!!!

EDIT: They just finished! So, yeah, step 1 takes forever compared to steps 2-6.

SegaFanac

Neo Member
Hi all..... Picked up my black new 3ds XL today and finally got around to playing with it. It is so comfortable I forget that I have it in my hands, totally different from when playing with the old XL.

Everything seems to be working perfectly, everything is very responsive, the screens are flawless, everything is great......then I noticed..... that for whatever reason the c-stick is not centered with a gap around it. The c-stick seems to be more to the right than centered.

Is this something that anyone else has noticed? It appears to be working perfectly fine, I am just curious and hopefully I am not alone on this.

Love the system, and I can now finally play my games with the 3D full blast without eye strain.

Gurrry

Hi all..... Picked up my black new 3ds XL today and finally got around to playing with it. It is so comfortable I forget that I have it in my hands, totally different from when playing with the old XL.

Everything seems to be working perfectly, everything is very responsive, the screens are flawless, everything is great......then I noticed..... that for whatever reason the c-stick is not centered with a gap around it. The c-stick seems to be more to the right than centered.

Is this something that anyone else has noticed? It appears to be working perfectly fine, I am just curious and hopefully I am not alone on this.

Love the system, and I can now finally play my games with the 3D full blast without eye strain.

Mine is somewhat like that, but its basically unnoticeable.

Top Bottom