• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Even better is that the "quick" things still take for fucking ever. I mean, connecting to the internet to start a transfer takes 5 fucking minutes. If I ever bought a phone this convoluted I would return it instantly and swear off the manufacturer for ever.

/rant

Gurrry

Even better is that the "quick" things still take for fucking ever. I mean, connecting to the internet to start a transfer takes 5 fucking minutes. If I ever bought a phone this convoluted I would return it instantly and swear off the manufacturer for ever.

/rant

I was having my fair share of troubles too, but it sounds like youre really having issues. Internet issues in general bring my piss to a boil. So, I know them feels bro.

If you can, do a PC transfer, not the Wifi. My transfer is taking forever on wifi.

And if youre having internet issues with the system, doing the full wifi transfer will only exacerbate the frustration.

bigkurz

Banned
Why are people obsessing over the cost of an OoT cart when the game is available digitally?

I know people like physical but Jesus why overpay so much when you could literally download it this second for retail

CLEEK

It's amazing how many people are opting to do the wireless transfer, rather than the simple and quick do-it-yourself copy of data from SD to microSD. The wireless transfer should only be done if you literally have no other way to get the data copied between SD cards.

The transfer process should take minutes. A bit longer if you haven't used your old 3DS in a while, as it will have an older firmware version on it that needs updating.

Doing a wireless transfer is as much of a ball ache as dong an iTunes restore to a new iPhone. Doing the manual SD card copy is like doing an iCloud restore. Quick and painless.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I was having my fair share of troubles too, but it sounds like youre really having issues. Internet issues in general bring my piss to a boil. So, I know them feels bro.

If you can, do a PC transfer, not the Wifi. My transfer is taking forever on wifi.

And if youre having internet issues with the system, that would only exacerbate the frustration.

I know I need to step away. You're absolutely right. It's not *that* big of a deal.

But I'm traveling for work in the AM - I literally leave for the airport in like five hours. And I know if I don't do this now, I won't have good wifi at the hotels and will be stuck without my new system for the next several days :(

Skel1ingt0n

It's amazing how many people are opting to do the wireless transfer, rather than the simple and quick do-it-yourself copy of data from SD to microSD.

The transfer process should take minutes. A bit longer if you haven't used your old 3DS in a while, as it will have an older firmware version on it that needs updating.

Doing a wireless transfer is as much of a ball ache as dong an iTunes restore to a new iPhone. Doing the manual SD card copy is like doing an iCloud restore. Quick and painless.

Problem is it's 10pm at night and I'm at my GF's, and don't have a screwdriver. Why the hell Nintendo couldn't include one is beyond me. But otherwise, I agree, you're right.

Gurrry

I know I need to step away. You're absolutely right. It's not *that* big of a deal.

But I'm traveling for work in the AM - I literally leave for the airport in like five hours. And I know if I don't do this now, I won't have good wifi at the hotels and will be stuck without my new system for the next several days :(

Eh, I mean it is kind of a big deal. You did pay 200+ for the system, you have a right to be angry when it doesnt work like its intended to. I was raging earlier over having to get a screwdriver to take off the back of the case... lol. The entire process is painful. Im not sure if Nintendo is ever going to learn their lesson with this garbage.

Zing

Banned
This is a $200 piece of plastic using components from five years ago. You can't expect it to have the functionality of a phone costing 4 times the price. Of course the networking is slow.

Remember the old days of just inserting the cartridge in your new system and playing immediately? That was cool. We can tell our kids about it.

As for having a screwdriver, anyone who wears glasses will have one, if not several. The n3DS uses eyeglass screwdriver size. It's what I used.

Ryhian

Anyone else have an issue with their New 3DS XL not waking up from sleep mode? Seems to happen most often after leaving it sitting for a long time rather than a minute or two. Wondering if it's a hardware or software issue.

I went back to my DS this morning after it was in sleep overnight with no issues in MH4.

CLEEK

Problem is it's 10pm at night and I'm at my GF's, and don't have a screwdriver. Why the hell Nintendo couldn't include one is beyond me. But otherwise, I agree, you're right.

I didn't use a screw driver when I did mine. I used the point of a sharp kitchen knife.

Skel1ingt0n

I didn't use a screw driver when I did mine. I used the point of a sharp kitchen knife.

Considered that, but know I'd hate myself if I scratched my MM system.

I finally got the transfer to start over again. It's 10:30. I have to be up in four hours, so I'm gonna head to bed and hope I somehow magically wake up to a transferred system.

I did all the confirmation pages. I'm now on step 1 of 6. Once it finishes step 6, how much time is left? I'm hoping I can wake up to just a minute or two of clicking "okay" and "next."

Ryhian

Been playing with my n3DSXL since yesterday and it's awesome.

Pros:
- The 3D is actually amazing this time around. (Played MM3D on the bus/metro this morning with the 3D on max. Something simply not possible on the older models)
- The performance boost makes a huge difference, and it's very noticeable. Loading up Smash isn't so bad now.
- The c-stick is actually pretty great. Not sure how it'd fair with a shooter, but for controlling the camera in MM3D, it's great. Also tried it for Smash and it's fine there, too (don't use the c-stick much in Smash).
- Auto-brightness
- Buttons feel better. Is it just me or are the ABXY buttons bigger on this model? It sure seems like it.

Cons:
- The position of the power button is the worst. I find myself accidentally hitting it all the time.
- The position of the stylus isn't great, either.
- MicroSD card slot is in an inconvenient place, however, now that I have my 32gb card in there, it's unlikely I'll be touching it ever again.
- The gloss isn't as good as matte, however, it does look 'nicer'

Really happy with it.

I'm shocked you have auto brightness as a pro. My experience has been pretty poor with it. Constantly changing the brightness and in an obvious fashion which breaks the experience for me.

Revven

It was the first. They are working on the 100% block now.

Am I almost through the hard part? Or is there more trouble to come?

Probably more trouble to come since you picked the first option instead of the second. There will probably be a section where it'll transfer your digital games directly and... doing that over WiFi will probably take hours. >_>

Cartman86

Banned
Zelda New 3DS question.

Screws are unscrewed and the two sides are raised. Top of the back is fully off. However the bottom does not seem to want to come undone. The middle where the audio jack is just stays put. Guide I read says you slide it off. Tried that. Kind of hard to slide when doing so closes the back. Don't know if I should just try harder with pulling it? Feel like i'm going to bend or break it.

EDIT: Never mind. In trying to open the top part up again my hand slipped and forced the bottom with it. Looks like nothing broke.

Skel1ingt0n

Zelda New 3DS question.

Screws are unscrewed and the two sides are raised. Top of the back is fully off. However the bottom does not seem to want to come undone. The middle where the audio jack is just stays put. Guide I read says you slide it off. Tried that. Kind of hard to slide when doing so closes the back. Don't know if I should just try harder with pulling it? Feel like i'm going to bend or break it.

EDIT: Never mind. In trying to open the top part up again my hand slipped and forced the bottom with it. Looks like nothing broke.

Did you take the stylus out?

Considered that, but know I'd hate myself if I scratched my MM system.

I finally got the transfer to start over again. It's 10:30. I have to be up in four hours, so I'm gonna head to bed and hope I somehow magically wake up to a transferred system.

I did all the confirmation pages. I'm now on step 1 of 6. Once it finishes step 6, how much time is left? I'm hoping I can wake up to just a minute or two of clicking "okay" and "next."

After Step 6, it's pretty much done. You have to click "OK" or "Next", it connects to the internet (don't know why), then you have to transfer any DSi-ware stuff from the memory card to the system for some reason (I still have that free Four Swords game they gave out years ago), then it restarts. From the end of Step 6 to the time I could actually play something was maybe three minutes.

Skel1ingt0n

After Step 6, it's pretty much done. You have to click "OK" or "Next", it connects to the internet (don't know why), then you have to transfer any DSi-ware stuff from the memory card to the system for some reason (I still have that free Four Swords game they gave out years ago), then it restarts. From the end of Step 6 to the time I could actually play something was maybe three minutes.

Perfect. Thank you for getting back to me.

Then bed time it is. *crosses fingers it doesn't fail this time.*

CLEEK

DSi games are stored on the internal NAND of the 3DS, not on the SD card, to maintain hardware backwards compatibility.

The transfer process temporarily copies them onto SD, then from SD into the new 3DS.

Exuro

I had to return my first n3DS as the top part of the shell was open and I could see pcb. It was like it wasn't fully snapped together at the factory. Didn't want to risk and and snap it back in and have pieces of the plastic break off. Second one I got is perfect.

After playing for around 10hours(all mh4u, upgrading from a 2ds) I'm pretty happy with the purchase. I still think the 3d tech has a ways to go, as even though the camera stabilization is nice it isn't perfect and I still see double vision here and there. I normally leave it off though as text is easier to read in 2d. The screen size jump is really awesome and I'm surprised I'm not as off put by the iq as I expected to be. Autobrightness is terrible. It changes brightness constantly and became a distraction. The power button is in an odd place and I'm okay with the cart location. My biggest beef with the system is the glossy coating. I much prefer the texture of the DS/DSi. Overall happy with the purchase. Being able to play in 3D for small amounts of time, having the c nub and getting the graphics boost in mh4u was more than worth it. I'll probably put enough time into that game to justify the purchase of the system.

HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.

Nintendo, this transfer business is fucking balls.

Get new system.

Set it up.

Won't connect to wifi. Try on other 3DS. Works fine. Try on new one. Won't work.

Give up.

Tells me to transfer anyway. Try it. Fails, since it can't connect to the internet.

Whatever.

I finally setup internet on new 3DS.

I go to system settings -> transfer.

I have to go to the eShop "at least once."

I open eShop.

It forces me to do a download. Do the download.

Go to transfer. Guess that didn't count as visiting the eShop.

Go to eShop.

Agree to terms.

Go to system transfer.

Grab original 3DS. Go to transfer.

Have to update system. Update system.

Go to system transfer.

Finally have both system transfers going.

Won't connect to the internet... error.

Forge ahead.

FINALLY transferring. Most convoluted instructions of all fucking time.

Wade through pages of notes.

Transfer takes 2 hours.

At 6/6, the source system gets disconnected. Even though I was watch Youtube on my PC and downloading a game on my Mac without issue.

Now new MM 3DS is stuck on step 6/6.

I end up having to restart it. Basically at Square 1.

It's 10:15 at night... been trying to do this for four hours.
This is what's supposed to happen. Nintendo does these things to make things simple for customers!

Idiots.

taco543

guys I really need some help right now, I just tracked my monster hunter 3ds that shipped from gamestop, and they messed up my address and name. What should I do? its set for delivery tomorrow. the address is exactly the same however instead of lets say 2345 its 1345, and my name is spelled correctly but the last name has two letters flip flopped, for example instead of winchester its winchrstee. I really need some help on to do please guys I don't want this going to the wrong address and me losing out on my money and device. My first name is unique and there aren't many other people named Christ so I'm hoping that will help me in this situation, but any advice is welcome.

please any help is appreciated im located in CA and the ups customer service center opens at 4am my time and I work tomorrow all day so I can't do anything...

On a side note never have a difficult name and order anything from gamestops new stupid online in store crap... the representative will just mess up everything...

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I just swapped memory cards. It went relatively smooth, except like someone else above mentioned, the bottom part by the power button wouldn't budge for a sec. Overall, it should never be that cumbersome to replace a memory card.

kami_sama

Yesterday, I bought the white normal version, and I have to say that for now, I'm in love with ths thing. 3D work better than ever and the c-stick is a godsend with MH4U.

Holy shit. So I loosened my screws and got absolutely nowhere in removing the backplate, so I went to Home Depot to make sure I had the right screwdriver. I just loosened them again and this thing seriously will not freaking come off. How the hell do I get it off? And what part of the stylus do I use? I've already scratched off a little paint on the hinge :'o

And people thought those complaning about the screws were being dramatic.

Btw I recommend you guys use one of these

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BDDG8Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The screwdriver has a little hole you stick a metal pin into so that you can get enough torque to unscrew. This lowers the chance of stripping the screw.

What a shitty design decision by Nintendo.

Thanks for the link!

Yeah, it really is a horrible design decision and a HUGE step back from the original 3DS and 3DS XL in that sense, and clearly it's not a super-rare/unheard of issue based on the responses I got in this thread alone. I can't believe not a single person at Nintendo figured out somewhere along the line that the back panel is insanely difficult to remove and that the screws strip easily and are wedged in there too tightly besides. It's just mind-boggling and I definitely noted it as a huge design drawback in my review. Thankfully everything else about the New 3DS XL is generally better than the original XL so it kind of balances out and you still come out slightly ahead and the New model, but the New one isn't nearly as definitive as it could have been thanks to this massive oversight.

Like, why even go there? Why go out of your way to make the SD card so difficult to access? It was already so easy; why change it? It can't just be because of the switch from SD to microSD, because once you do pry open that damn panel the SD slot itself is very similar to the ones on previous 3DS models (where you push it in to "click" it in and out of place). I just don't get it...

What I do know for sure, though, is that this is the first damn thing I want fixed for Nintendo's next handheld. I don't mind microSD storage at all, just make it easy and convenient to access like almost any other consumer electronic device.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Yesterday, I bought the white normal version, and I have to say that for now, I'm in love with ths thing. 3D work better than ever and the c-stick is a godsend with MH4U.
I almost bought one yesterday, but feared it would feel too small (OG 3DS was hard to come back to once I got an XL). Does the small increased size make a difference?

I don't get how some of you guys are have trouble with the system transfer. I moved my stuff from my ambassador 3ds to my new MH 3ds without a problem. It walks you through the process.

Pachimari

I don't get the complaints about the back panel. People must be doing something wrong. With the right screwdriver it's easy to unscrew the screws until they click. You just need to push up gently on the left and right and you don't even need the stylus. The back cover is designed for you to push it up on the left and right sides.

I feel for all of you who had a hard time with the transfer process or got defective systems. I personally had no problem with the transfer process other than a random hiccup but it took half an hour to do it in the end. I guess I can count my blessings but then again I did a lot of research beforehand. Never had a a defective system out of the box in my life.

Rootbeer

Banned
does the c-stick only move 4 ways or is it more of an 8 way movement like the circle pad?

i notice that if you move the c-stick while on the main menu you can only get it to go up, down, left, right... not diagonal.

however if you move the circle pad, you can get it to move diagonal across the various icons on your home screen.
I feel for all of you who had a hard time with the transfer process or got defective systems. I personally had no problem with the transfer process other than a random hiccup but it took half an hour to do it in the end. I guess I can count my blessings but then again I did a lot of research beforehand. Never had a a defective system out of the box in my life.
I feel very fortunate too... but anytime you are buying an electronic device there's a chance of getting a defective unit... I hate that you are constantly playing the odds, I've had my share of duds.

Skel1ingt0n

At the airport... System thankfully successfully transferred over night!

Tom_Cody

I was finally able to get to Nintendo World yesterday to get my system (I had been traveling since last week). The entire transaction was kind of complicated since I had a pre-order for the MM Skull Kid pack that I was picking up and a pre-order for the MH bundle that I was relinquishing (in the end I just don't like the way that it looks) in favor of a black n3DS XL. When I started they were technically out of the black system but they literally opened the shippent for them while I was paying for the MM bundle and, as luck has it, an Ike Amiibo that had been put to general sale due to someone not picking up a pre-order. The man at the register asked me like 10 times if I was sure that I wanted to cancel the MH bundle but I went ahead and did it. I guess I could have scalped it on eBay, but I would just assume let someone else who actually wanted it buy it. As it turns out, the girl next to me in line ended up buying it, so it was on the market for less than 30 seconds, lol.

Question: I still want to buy an additional AC adapter and the Japanese charging cradle. Any recommendation as to where to order these? I will probably just order the AC adapter from Nintendo's site but I'm less sure of the charging cradle as I want to make absolutely sure that the one I buy is the official Nintendo one.

are there any clear shells available for the xl? saw one listing on amazon but wont release until march and all the chinese one on ebay wont arrive until mid-late march

Rootbeer

Banned
are there any clear shells available for the xl? saw one listing on amazon but wont release until march and all the chinese one on ebay wont arrive until mid-late march

The Hori one was delayed until March for some reason. I think it's worth waiting for it. Just be extra careful for a couple weeks. :)

there are cases for the old XL but the dimensions of the New XL are different so I don't want to risk the fit not being as perfect as it needs to be. So I'm willing to wait a bit.

i've actually noticed on amazon the clear cases for the old XL are moving up the charts, selling a lot more since the New XL was released. I hope people are not buying these to put on their New XL... cause it's not designed to fit on it and it may not work right.

I feel like they should have not included the screws at all. Samsung phones do not and hold just fine.
Would probably be way less freak out posts.

Stop assuming your audience is stupid I say...

kami_sama

I almost bought one yesterday, but feared it would feel too small (OG 3DS was hard to come back to once I got an XL). Does the small increased size make a difference?

Sorry, I can't say anything about that. I've only used the XL. But coming from that size, I have to say that it's not such a huge difference as I thought, and the extra pixel density makes the games look clearer.

Sorry, I can't say anything about that. I've only used the XL. But coming from that size, I have to say that it's not such a huge difference as I thought, and the extra pixel density makes the games look clearer.
Regular is the perfect screen size. OG 3DS was too small.
XL is nice, but sucks as a portable. Reminds me of the Galaxy Note...

Is it possible to restore a previous 3DS 'ownership' of sorts?

Like uh I had a digital version of A Link Between Worlds, but I simply formatted my old 3DS when I sold it about a year ago. Can I use that on my New 3DS if I sign into the store again with my old credentials, or would that be too easy?

Is it possible to restore a previous 3DS 'ownership' of sorts?

Like uh I had a digital version of A Link Between Worlds, but I simply formatted my old 3DS when I sold it about a year ago. Can I use that on my New 3DS if I sign into the store again with my old credentials, or would that be too easy?
As long as you unlinked you NNID before selling it, you are good. If not, then got to call Nintendo.

baconcow

I don't get how some of you guys are have trouble with the system transfer. I moved my stuff from my ambassador 3ds to my new MH 3ds without a problem. It walks you through the process.

For me, going from my OG 3DS to my XL I missed the part where save data didn't transfer and then forgot to move it over manually. Luckily, I have no retail games and few 3DS downloads, so not much loss. The transfer process just has more steps than it should and is convoluted at first sight. Going from the XL to New 3DS I had no issues. But still, itbis easy to miss a step or misread an instruction When there are so many. The written instructions on Nintendo's site are quite long, too. It should be easy to do, like on the PS Vita.

Rootbeer

Banned
i'm confused about the save data transfer issues... i haven't tested all of my games yet though

do you only need to transfer saves from eshop games?

cartridge games it isn't an issue i hope?

i'm confused about the save data transfer issues... i haven't tested all of my games yet though

do you only need to transfer saves from eshop games?

cartridge games it isn't an issue i hope?

I don't think it's an issue for most cartridge games, but I think save data is linked to unique system ID in Theatrhythm Curtain Call. With that game, you might have to start over when playing on a new system.

ZOONAMI

As long as you unlinked you NNID before selling it, you are good. If not, then got to call Nintendo.

From my conversations with ninty reps, this is not how it actually works. Nnid has to be linked to a system, or it is gone. I am positive I unlinked my previous 3ds xl when I sold it, but still had to call Nintendo to unlink and transfer to n3ds xl.

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't think it's an issue for most cartridge games, but I think save data is linked to unique system ID in Theatrhythm Curtain Call. With that game, you might have to start over when playing on a new system.

well i just want to confirm that I got a new copy of curtain call (cartridge) shortly before i got my new 3ds xl

i started a new game on my old 3ds xl, played only about 30 mins. then the next day, did my transfer to the new system.

the save file was intact.

So i'm not sure where this information is coming from... maybe it was an issue with the previous version of theatrythm? or maybe it's something that got sorted out in a firmware update at some point. both of my systems had the newest firmware at time of transfer

but for anyone with a save file that has had tons of time put into it... i'd probably back it up to be safe

Top Bottom