• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

MikeOxbig

I'm trying to dig through this thread to see if anyone shares my problem, but I thought I'd ask outright. When playing MH4 (I haven't tried other games) on my MH4-branded new 3DS, the 3D effect flickers randomly every five to ten minutes. This is with super stable 3D on and calibrated. The effect is similar to what you'd see when tilting the OG 3DS. Anyone share the problem? Anyone hear of the problem? Do I need to send in for fixing?

Pachimari

I'm trying to dig through this thread to see if anyone shares my problem, but I thought I'd ask outright. When playing MH4 (I haven't tried other games) on my MH4-branded new 3DS, the 3D effect flickers randomly every five to ten minutes. This is with super stable 3D on and calibrated. The effect is similar to what you'd see when tilting the OG 3DS. Anyone share the problem? Anyone hear of the problem? Do I need to send in for fixing?

You probably have it too close to your face?

Awesome OP :) Can you please tell me the font name that you used in the headlines like 'specifications' or 'software' in the New Nintendo 3DS logo design? Thanks :)

Zornica

Banned
I got a very specific system transfer question, I hope this is the right place to ask:

I forgot to order a screwdriver, so I'm stuck with the 4gb card inside. my transfer system hast an almost full 32gig card.
the thing is, I can't wait till tomorrow because I need to send my original system back home.
Is it possible to do the system transfer via pc, and then store the 3ds data on my pc till the screwdriver arrives? or do I need the data on the new 3ds to finish the transfer?

Zing

Banned
I got a very specific system transfer question, I hope this is the right place to ask:

I forgot to order a screwdriver, so I'm stuck with the 4gb card inside. my transfer system hast an almost full 32gig card.
the thing is, I can't wait till tomorrow because I need to send my original system back home.
Is it possible to do the system transfer via pc, and then store the 3ds data on my pc till the screwdriver arrives? or do I need the data on the new 3ds to finish the transfer?
Any local drugstore will have a screwdriver intended for glasses. They work perfectly.

Do you wear glasses?
I have the same issue but only when I have my glasses on.
I've turned it off now, luckily I have no problems with the 'non-stable 3D'

dedhead54

Just bought a black N3DSXL from Wal-Mart, for in-store pickup. Going to brave some not-so-great weather to drive to that store to pick it up, which is about 35 minutes away. Finally my hunt is over. First time owner here.

Do you wear glasses?
I have the same issue but only when I have my glasses on.
I've turned it off now, luckily I have no problems with the 'non-stable 3D'
Turning it off or adjusting the number seems to be the best fix if you have issues. Like eye tracking went from 60% to 90% when I adjusted my number to -0.8.
The auto-detect is a bit whack if you have glasses, but oh well.

From my conversations with ninty reps, this is not how it actually works. Nnid has to be linked to a system, or it is gone. I am positive I unlinked my previous 3ds xl when I sold it, but still had to call Nintendo to unlink and transfer to n3ds xl.
Oh yeah, you are right. The standard way of unlinking is system transfer.
If you linked a NNID to the Wii U though, it does give an option to unlink without deleting on 3DS. But if you have only one NNID then the unlink option deletes your old NNID which is dumb.

ZOONAMI

I had bad flickering and double image on my xl, returned it to toys r us and am waiting for another one in the mail.

I didn't want to buy one but I couldn't resist that sexy wooden cover. It looks and feels great.

20150218-p21806121ludb.jpg

20150218-p2180613heubj.jpg

20150218-p218061597u3l.jpg
3D is so much better, I don't turn it off anymore. The system is noticeably snappier, and the materials feel much nicer than on the og 3DS. I just wish the screen were higher res. Oh well, can't have everything.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I didn't want to buy one but I couldn't resist that sexy wooden cover. It looks and feels great.

3D is so much better, I don't turn it off anymore. The system is noticeably snappier, and the materials feel much nicer than on the og 3DS. I just wish the screen were higher res. Oh well, can't have everything.

I hate you, dawg. I would love a White 3DS! :(

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just bought a black N3DSXL from Wal-Mart, for in-store pickup. Going to brave some not-so-great weather to drive to that store to pick it up, which is about 35 minutes away. Finally my hunt is over. First time owner here.

BUY KID ICARUS UPRISING.

That game looks sooooooo awesome in 3D.

Does anyone have any tip on how to remove the Hori screen protectors for the N3DS? Kinda messed up the bottom one because of dust, and I've tried scotch tape, duct tape, electric tape and even velcro tape...absolutely nothing adheres to it.

I hate you, dawg. I would love a White 3DS! :(

Sorry. :(

Neat. Getting my wood cover in the mail. Once I get all my covers, I will post them all.
Got a black handheld and a white handheld. Going to be fab!

I hope you get a good one. I selected mine from several at the store, they all looked different. On some you could hardly see some of the prints because the wood/faux wood (?) was darker than on the others.

I hope you get a good one. I selected mine from several at the store, they all looked different. On some you could hardly see some of the prints because the wood/faux wood (?) was darker than on the others.
Me too. However, NoA decided we shouldn't get the fun n3DS so I have to go with my online order. Hopefully they picked a good one.

kaskade

Still debating on what game to buy first. I guess I'll see what I can find locally but I might go with A Link Between Worlds.

I know gamestop might have it but I've gotten that last copy so we want to sell you the display business and I'm not about that. If it's open it's used.

Just ordered a black new 3DS XL. Am I able to switch covers there, too? And can I use the charging block on it, too?

hnnnnnng

Those are very nice pictures.

This review of the system is pretty neat and I agree.

Also the flicker mostly is the super stable 3D. Turning it off pretty much makes it exactly like the old XL system.

Just ordered a black new 3DS XL. Am I able to switch covers there, too? And can I use the charging block on it, too?
No covers for any XL models. Charge dock exists, but not coming to US according to sites I emailed. Got to import it from Amazon.fr,.de,.co.uk, etc.

kubus

Awesome OP :) Can you please tell me the font name that you used in the headlines like 'specifications' or 'software' in the New Nintendo 3DS logo design? Thanks :)

Thanks! :D

The font is from here: Link

Apparently the "new"/amiibo font is a slightly edited version of the Bauhaus93 font but when I used it I thought the letters were too thick. This fanmade font on deviantART is a bit better :)

GameStops are being restocked over the next couple days.

Small shipments relatively. Dont expect stacks of them.

Anyone looking its probably best to call you local store and see if they are coming in. They'll be gone fast.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I already own a n3DS XL but the temptation to pick up a white n3DS are strong, can you have your Nintendo ID on both of them? how does that work?

Turning it off or adjusting the number seems to be the best fix if you have issues. Like eye tracking went from 60% to 90% when I adjusted my number to -0.8.
The auto-detect is a bit whack if you have glasses, but oh well.

Oh, interesting!
I'll have a little play with it tonight to see if I can get it working better, cheers :)

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
GameStops are being restocked over the next couple days.

Small shipments relatively. Dont expect stacks of them.

Anyone looking its probably best to call you local store and see if they are coming in. They'll be gone fast.

God I hope so. I've been at the top of a call list for my local gamestop since last Thursday.

oakenhild

Target must be completely sold out of the new 3ds (black) across all stores. They don't even let you do the search to find them in stores anymore.

Well, time to hunt for more n3ds and MM3D. Found one an hour ago at hastings, but it was red. I would at like to at least be able to choose my preferred color, so I'm now waiting for gamestop/best buy to open.

Fun awaits. :/

I get some sort of image duplication with 3D on. It's like I have slight double vision or something. I don't know if I calibrated it correctly, so I'll try that, but in the meantime has anyone had that experience?

So my MM N3DSXL had weird marks on the d-pad and face buttons.

People here said it was normal. Is that correct? Due to the plastic and how it's manufactured?

EB Games Canada said they could get a replacement sent to my store.

Do I bother???

Thanks a ton for all your info, shogun - if I end up getting one in the next few minutes it'll be thanks to you, man. :)

No problem at all. Always happy to help a fellow GAFer :)

Not every location will recieve the systems today. If anyones local store still says they are out, their shipment for them will likely arrive tomorrow

Corgi

Banned
curious what color y'all got.

Think the available ones are...

blue
black (the LE's are black on the inside)
white
red (US only)

Went with the plain old black XL, although i kinda wish I got the red one at times. Wish hardware companies would sell white systems in the US :(

Apharmd

Guys, my new 3DS XL feels gross after several hours of use. It's an awesome machine but I constantly have to clean up caked sweat on the top and bottom. Any recommendations for keeping it clean?

So my MM N3DSXL had weird marks on the d-pad and face buttons.

People here said it was normal. Is that correct? Due to the plastic and how it's manufactured?

EB Games Canada said they could get a replacement sent to my store.

Do I bother???

Quoting for the new page.

The one I have now has no 3D issues or dead pixels. I'm worried the replacement might. Ugh.

FaintDeftone

Think the available ones are...

blue
black (the LE's are black on the inside)
white
red (US only)

Went with the plain old black XL, although i kinda wish I got the red one at times. Wish hardware companies would sell white systems in the US :(

Black for me. I wanted it to easily match the black LL dock that I plan on importing.

Quick question: If I was to buy a Pokemon game, which series is best to jump into? X/Y or Omega/Alpha? I never did play Ruby/Sapphire so take that into consideration.

Both regular so black and white.
I am a bit mad it doesn't come with a black regular charger, but I am going to test out dyeing my white to black. I will post if it works out well.
You need white plastic stray paint as well if you are going to dye a black plastic I heard.

So you may be able to make your own red charger dock.

Also both Pokémon games are easy to get into, but I feel ORAS has more in-depth story.

Netto-kun

I've gone regular flare red 3DS -> ALBW 3DS XL and...white Japanese 3DS LL -> Japanese MH4G New 3DS XL.

Man, I told myself that I'd stop buying another 3DS but guess what happened...

Welcome to the family!
zsONlWG.jpg

No worries, ALBW 3DS XL. I'll still use you for...something
vGh7ueg.jpg

Bad picture of screen comparison.
WmTjgeX.jpg

Also ordered the black MH4U and wooden plates and got those today. Couldn't resist buying the latter since Elkjøp Norway was selling it for the same price (169 NOK) as the regular cover plates. The MH4U plates were the most expensive ones! I wonder if the wodden plate was a price error, since it was quickly sold out and other online retailers are currently selling it for 250+ NOK. Hori screen protectors and pouch should arrive tomorrow.
Looks awesome, but the surface is glossy. Reminds me of the limited Gore Magala 3DS LL.
vfHPkk1.jpg
bktkMFP.jpg
HYyDfDO.jpg

Wooden goodness!
X36X6B6.jpg
UKwVdLj.jpg
UJ6aSRk.jpg

I've gone regular flare red 3DS -> ALBW 3DS XL and...white Japanese 3DS LL -> Japanese MH4G New 3DS XL.

Man, I told myself that I'd stop buying another 3DS but guess what happened...
Man the MH4 plates look so good. Too bad it is gloss, but I will accept it since I can always switch it to felt for long sessions. Unlike the XL where I got to take gloss for what it is worth.

Netto-kun

Man the MH4 plates look so good. Too bad it is gloss, but I will accept it since I can always switch it to felt for long sessions. Unlike the XL where I got to take gloss for what it is worth.
I was debating on getting the white MH4U plate as well but decided otherwise since I think white on black looks weird.

Top Bottom