• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

samn

Looking to maybe import a normal new 3DS for new 3DS games. Should I get a PAL or Japanese model, assuming prices are the same?

And are the wooden and felt cover plates completely sold out? Where can I get them at a reasonable price?

PAL if you want to play all games in english. Some PAL games that are rare in USA seem much less rare in PAL format as well, like Starfox. When you set it up, set your NNID/system region as Republic of Ireland, you'll get cheaper euro prices (compared to £) and be able to browse the store in English I believe.

Japan if you want to play Japan-exclusive games.

Just drove 1 hr round trip to pick up my N3DSXL from a Wal-Mart on the outskirts of town. Just got back and opened it up and an issue with the bottom screen. It has two distinct spots, right next to each other, where the screen is not flat.

I looked for two days, went to 6 stores, and then when I finally found one it has this issue. I am frustrated and don't really know what I should do.

Do you guys think I should contact Nintendo for warranty repair? That Wal-Mart, and all other Wal-Marts around here, definitely do not have any replacements in stock. It clearly is a manufacturing defect. And I would love if I could play for a couple of days while I am here out of town for a funeral, then send it back to Nintendo after the weekend when I am back home.

Mine is like that, do you get random screen presses when you press the plastic next to the home button? or actually, move the system?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got the dock today and also found that I have to push the 3DS in, which fits so snugly that I need to hold the dock to pick the 3DS back up. Not as great as the old cradle for the XL.

damn. The problem with that is inevitably you'll forget and just drop it in, and it'll have no charge when you most need it.

Busaiku

Got my cradle in just now as well.
Haven't used it yet, but I already don't like it as much as the 3DS/XL cradles.
But having to push it in does not sound good at all.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
PAL if you want to play all games in english. Some PAL games that are rare in USA seem much less rare in PAL format as well, like Starfox. When you set it up, set your NNID/system region as Republic of Ireland, you'll get cheaper euro prices (compared to £) and be able to browse the store in English I believe.

Aces. Thanks!

SegaFanac

Neo Member
Just so you know, these marks on the buttons are completely normal.

I assume they are a by-product of the plastic manufacturing process (Maybe from the machine that removes the plastic from the moulds?)

I have seen these marks on Nintendo buttons for years (Whenever they switched from a gloss to a matt finish on the buttons) My Wii U GamePad and Wii U Pro Controller both have them - heck even my DS Lite had them! The marks vary to some degree, and on some buttons you need to look quite closely under a light source, but I have always seen them.

Ding DIng Ding Ding..... Yes this is in relation as a by-product of the plastic manufacturing process. The first n3dsXL that I got from TRU on Saturday had this not only on the buttons but on the d-pad as well, but the touch screen did not work and there was a gash on the left side of the top screen.

The second one that I have now, from a TRU closer to home, is perfect.... I do have the same plastic markings on the buttons and d-pad, as well as when the light hits it just right on the interior plastic of the system (black n3dsXL) here and there, but is not as bad and you have to shine it like 99.999999999 just right to see it.

The hinge is better, it barely moves compared to the first one, and both screens are flawless. Not to mention the buttons are tight and responsive. It is just like my earlier post the only concern was that the c-stick is about a hair off to the right than completely centered. I so did not want to return this one again, and tried to "massage it" back to center.

Well after work today I went by a gamestop looking for a Megaman amiibo, and lo and behold they had their display n3dsXL with the same thing but to the left. After moving it a bit (both gently and really really hard.... then wiggle) it went back into place. Started the game up and used the camera in Majora's Mask and not only was it working perfectly but it was centered. I just got home and continued to gently nudge it and viola... it is now centered.

Sorry for my long rant..... I had to get this out of my system..... I just did not want to give up my n3dsXL and risk getting one worse than what I have. I am sure many others on here would agree with me on this.

Fox1966

Neo Member
Got the Monster Hunter new 3DS XL, and I am loving it. The screen and 3D is so much better to me. Even my older games seem new again.

I'd love to add some fellow NeoGaffers as my friends to the 3DS so I can play some multiplayer games. Is there a list of friend codes anywhere?

The Limited Edition Trifecta, complete.

ddAxFqW.jpg

So I was able to get one from WalMart tonight... General question because this is my first Nintendo console since the NES (crazy, I know):

If I buy and download a game on the Nintendo store, and save it to the 4GB memory card that comes with the 3DS, can I download this game that I've bought again when my new 32GB card comes in the mail from Amazon tomorrow?

Or, do I have to copy over the card or something tomorrow? Basically, I only have Mario 3D World and there's a few games I want to pick up, but I've heard Nintendo's Estore is fairly draconian.

Thanks!

Parker493

Neo Member
What is the number to call Nintendo Customer Service ? the one that bypasses the stupid computer automated system I've been trying for 20 mins to figure out how to get it to transfer me to a representative.

I just saw that sick Xenoblade 3DS faceplate...

Can we do anything aesthetically cool with the outside of the New XL?

I mean besides slapping stickers on it and calling it a day.

I just saw that sick Xrnoblade 3DS faceplate...

Can we do anything aesthetically cool with the outside of the New XL?

I mean besides slapping stickers on it and calling it a day.
That is pretty much it.
Until covers come with art.

Now I will know the region when mine comes in March.

Finally got my new 3DSXL MH4 edition from gamestop. Looks and feels pretty nice and I like the clicky buttons. Putting in the microSD card wasn't as bad as everyone said it was.

ZOONAMI

Wait so the EU eshop will work in the US fine? I suppose why wouldn't it, internet and whatnot. What are the EU download prices for new full budget games (MH4 for example)?

baconcow

Did anyone have a small piece of clear plastic in the upper left corner of their touch screen? Not sure how to get it out or what it is.

Bottom cover was as hard to get off as my first defective unit. The one side came up easy, the second didn't want to budge. Definitely not doing anything wromg.

samn

Wait so the EU eshop will work in the US fine? I suppose why wouldn't it, internet and whatnot. What are the EU download prices for new full budget games (MH4 for example)?

It should work fine. Some prices are listed here http://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/2wch4g/importing_a_pal_here_is_your_eshop_options/

There are also links in the comments there to some sites where you can get cheaper PAL download codes. Be careful to make sure the code you buy will work in your region - I think usually currency codes won't be cross-currency, so you can't redeem a £10 gift card if your system is set to a €-using region, however codes for games themselves appear to be cross-region...

ZOONAMI

It should work fine. Some prices are listed here http://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/2wch4g/importing_a_pal_here_is_your_eshop_options/

There are also links in the comments there to some sites where you can get cheaper PAL download codes. Be careful to make sure the code you buy will work in your region - I think usually currency codes won't be cross-currency, so you can't redeem a £10 gift card if your system is set to a €-using region, however codes for games themselves appear to be cross-region...

Thank you! I am now considering an import for regular n3ds. This actually essentially makes the pal models region free I feel like, why does it matter what eshop you're using.

Do you know if I can do a nnid transfer from NTSC to pal?

samn

Thank you! I am now considering an import for regular n3ds. This actually essentially makes the pal models region free I feel like, why does it matter what eshop you're using.

Do you know if I can do a nnid transfer from NTSC to pal?

Sadly not, an NNID is linked to a country. So you would lose your previous purchases. Source: http://en-americas-support.nintendo...2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI0MzExMzY0L3NpZC93QVVoNW1mbQ==

"the system and Nintendo Network ID country must be the same."

The eShop you use does matter because you won't find all games available as download codes. Plus I suppose the most violent games might be censored in the German eShop (no idea if this has ever happened or how Nintendo would handle this) and an eShop in a language other than english may be difficult to navigate. So yeah, Republic of Ireland (not Nothern Ireland) seems like the best option... wish I'd thought to choose it when I got my XL last year, but too late to change it now.

edit - when I said download codes are cross region, I meant within Europe. So you can use a code from a British site with a French NNID, apparently.

samn

Are there any screen protectors for the regular n3DS available in Europe yet? Seems like a pain to import from play asia, but I'm scared to use my stylus until I slap one on.

Can't say I'm a big fan of the C-Stick. It feels awkward to use. When I play in the dark, I sometimes end up pressing it instead of X/Y.

Killer

Banned
So here's my situation:

I formatted my old XL in order to sell it but i haven't yet. Got my new XL today and i want to transfer my NNID to it. The thing is, old XL isn't attached to my NNID after the system format and i want transfer it to my New XL. how do i do this?

Any help would be appreciated.

careksims

I just got my MM N3DS XL today and followed the steps to transfer on another site. Everything went smoothly! Glad I bought a micro SD card already and did the PC transfer option. Such a big upgrade from my original 3DS. Despite the fact I wanted a regular n3DS, I'm happy with it.

I really need to use a regular n3DS I think. I already have an XL but I've actually been really tempted to downsize recently because I'm curious if the better pixel density would impress me or not.

Does the regular n3DS have the better colour saturation and contrast on the top screen that n3DS XL got?

Used the Luiginary ball attack in M&L:Dream Team. Face tracker works pretty well. Remembered the double vision on that attack when using my old 3ds.

samn

I really need to use a regular n3DS I think. I already have an XL but I've actually been really tempted to downsize recently because I'm curious if the better pixel density would impress me or not.

Does the regular n3DS have the better colour saturation and contrast on the top screen that n3DS XL got?

I have heard it does, and by my eye it looks a lot better than my XL.

So here's my situation:

I formatted my old XL in order to sell it but i haven't yet. Got my new XL today and i want to transfer my NNID to it. The thing is, old XL isn't attached to my NNID after the system format and i want transfer it to my New XL. how do i do this?

Any help would be appreciated.

You done fucked up. Only thing you can do is call Nintendo and hope they're sympathetic.

So did anyone hear a click while using their Circle Pad normally? I heard it twice in only a few minutes, but after that I heard no more clicking from it and the Circle Pad remains fine for the rest of my gaming session. Nothing alarming, but would like to know if others had this experience.

if anyone is having the stupid random touchscreen problems i have found a solution:

open the system, and just loosen up the screws near the home button.

like, half a turn, or maybe 1 turn.

Worked on mine, transferring as we speak

MarkusRJR

Before NA launch every post I've read on GAF regarding build quality was the same, basically how amazing the build quality is on the N3DS XL.

After NA launch, tons of posts of people generally unsatisfied with the N3DS XL build quality.

I'm personally waiting for a couple more shipments to come in until I buy mine. I want that initial worldwide/NA batch completely gone before I buy one.
Don't get me wrong, it feels super solid, especially compared to the prior models which would squeak when any pressure is applied. It's just there's a bunch of issues that the QA department really should have dealt with.

Are there any clear cases yet?

I just bought one a month ago for my Persona system, but of course everything on the new XL has been switched. I can't find anything except for a Hori case that won't be released for another 2 weeks. :/

samn

Did you go from a regular XL to a n3DS then? Does the smaller screen bother you? I might just get one from Amazon to try and then send it back if I'm not happy with it.

Yes I did.

I'm much happier with the smaller size, even though I have big hands it's actually more comfortable somehow, the build quality is so good that I just hold it in my hands flipping it around like I used to with my DS lite. The screen is fantastic, the higher pixel density means objects look more like entities and less like collections of pixels. If I hold the XL next to it, yes there is a big size difference, but when I'm actually using the n3DS I don't think about it.

Best handheld Nintendo have ever made imo.

Got mine. The circle pad is so crusty feeling. Does it tend to smoothen out?

Yes, it will. It uses a couple of springs and they'll all loosen up to a nice point over time.

Got mine. The circle pad is so crusty feeling. Does it tend to smoothen out?

Yes, to a degree.

I'm here to report that the 3DS is definitely well worth the purchase. After playing Majora's Mask, Monster Hunter 4, and Pokemon OR/AS, I'm happy to say that this was definitely worth every single penny.

In regards to that circle pad, I would try a game like Kid Icarus to smooth it out or Star Fox. Should be good after a playthrough.

Jobbs

Banned
STILL can't get my NNID onto my new 3ds...

my previous XL was stolen. so my new 3ds won't let me link to it because my NNID is already linked to the previous XL -- which, again, I don't have because it was stolen.

I called Nintendo a few days ago and told them this and they said they got it all sorted out and in a few days I'd get a notification over email that I am clear to link my NNID to the new console.

well, fast forward to today, I got the email.. and I still get the message. the NNID is still linked to another console.

is it possible I just need to wait a while longer then try again, or am I going to need to call them again and go through waiting and typign and serial numbers etc all over again?

STILL waiting to play MH4U online... >.< why nintendo.. why...

Anyone know what this plastic is here for? Sorry for the blurry pic. The piece is much larger than this angle suggests. (just opened)

Hard to tell due to focus, but it seems like a defect. Perhaps it might be worth holding on to it until stores around you restock with more New 3DSes.

Alternative is to call Nintendo and report the issue. They should be able to swap it out.

ColEx

STILL can't get my NNID onto my new 3ds...

my previous XL was stolen. so my new 3ds won't let me link to it because my NNID is already linked to the previous XL -- which, again, I don't have because it was stolen.

I called Nintendo a few days ago and told them this and they said they got it all sorted out and in a few days I'd get a notification over email that I am clear to link my NNID to the new console.

well, fast forward to today, I got the email.. and I still get the message. the NNID is still linked to another console.

is it possible I just need to wait a while longer then try again, or am I going to need to call them again and go through waiting and typign and serial numbers etc all over again?

I did the same, except i sold my XL instead. Anyway, it did say in the email that you should wait 2 hours after receiving the email, to attempt to link your NNID again, at least it did for me. So i guess it can take awhile before being able to link it to your new 3DS.

I just finished transferring everything from my old 3DS to my MM3DSXL and I'm kinda worried about playing Smash...

One match and I already started hearing the circle pad squeak and creak so I'm a bit scared of playing smash on my new 3DS. Is the circle pad improved from the old 3DS?

Jobbs

Banned
Anyone know if it's more comfy than the 3DS XL? The face buttons are so close to the edge that my hands cramp.

I can't AB because (see above) my previous XL was stolen, but I strongly believe it to be more comfortable, if only because it seems to be lighter.

I'm playing monster hunter 4 ultimate and finding the controls and camera to be really effortless. it's nice. the same couldn't at all be said for MH3U for 3ds, which was a nightmare to play.

I did the same, except i sold my XL instead. Anyway, it did say in the email that you should wait 2 hours after receiving the email, to attempt to link your NNID again, at least it did for me. So i guess it can take awhile before being able to link it to your new 3DS.

it's been 7 hours since I got the email to go ahead and link it. still no dice. :(

dedhead54

So frustrating getting the back plate off.

After hearing this a lot the last few days, the first thing I did today after getting my system was put in a bigger MicroSD card. And I personally found getting the back off a piece of cake. It gave me literally no trouble. Loosened each screw, used the stylus to "pop" each side, then slid the thing off. Done.

Busaiku

Definitely feeling the better battery.
My system was on for about 15 hours, got 4.25 hours of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate at 4th highest brightness, no 3D, and about 90% volume.

Deadstar

After hearing this a lot the last few days, the first thing I did today after getting my system was put in a bigger MicroSD card. And I personally found getting the back off a piece of cake. It gave me literally no trouble. Loosened each screw, used the stylus to "pop" each side, then slid the thing off. Done.

I popped the back plate alright, only after the stylus cracked a piece out of the back. It's VERY small but still bugs me. Mine didn't come off as easy.

Top Bottom