• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

dedhead54

My God. Playing through Ocarina of Time (for the first time ever in my life) in 3D is fucking GLORIOUS so far. Already makes the $200 purchase worthwhile. I can't wait to beat it and pick up MM.

Conezays

This happened to my old XL from time to time. Sometimes I closed it and when I opened it back up it would be off. At first I thought that the battery was loose, but it seemed to only happen with my MH3U cart inside the system so I figured that the cart might somehow be defective. Stopped playing it and didn't encounter this problem again.

Huh. Thanks for the reply. Adding to the weirdness and coincidence...I have Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate in my system :p

ultrazilla

I've joined the New 3DS club!

Yoshi's New Island, Super Mario 3D Land, The Legend of Zelda: A Link between Worlds, Gunman Clive 1 and 2, Super C, Castlevania, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Mighty Gunvolt, Rayman Origins and Lifeforce all ready to go!

Chances of picking up a New 3DS XL if I try going to a Best Buy randomly when it says there are none in stock online or for in-store pickup? Is it even worth trying?

Tovarisch

Received!
Better in everything except the stylus.
bxtZsq2.jpg

Forgot if I posted this yesterday...

So I got the 3DS XL last night, and wanted to pick up the new Super Mario 3D World, so I go to Gamestop, walk in, ask for Mario 3D. So, I haven't been to Gamestop in like 5 years, I normally buy everything on Amazon or digital. So, the guy goes back and goes through, grabs the cartridge, puts it in the box, etc. I'm like, w/e, I know this is policy and I don't want to argue with the guy. I paid the new game price but Im not a collector or anything so I don't really care about it not being sealed.

So I go home, plug in Mario, load it up ... and find that all 3 save files are filled with complete games and some Wii avatar. I was like "Jesus christ Gamestop."

Is this common with cart games?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I get some sort of image duplication with 3D on. It's like I have slight double vision or something. I don't know if I calibrated it correctly, so I'll try that, but in the meantime has anyone had that experience?

With bright colours against bright backgrounds you will always get a double-vision type effect, that's just the nature of 3D.

If you keep the 3D slider around halfway or lower it should start to become much less noticeable.

psychotron

So I got the 3DS XL last night, and wanted to pick up the new Super Mario 3D World, so I go to Gamestop, walk in, ask for Mario 3D. So, I haven't been to Gamestop in like 5 years, I normally buy everything on Amazon or digital. So, the guy goes back and goes through, grabs the cartridge, puts it in the box, etc. I'm like, w/e, I know this is policy and I don't want to argue with the guy. I paid the new game price but Im not a collector or anything so I don't really care about it not being sealed.

So I go home, plug in Mario, load it up ... and find that all 3 save files are filled with complete games and some Wii avatar. I was like "Jesus christ Gamestop."

Yes, very common. I bought my 3D Land copy used and it had a completed game file on it. I deleted that shit and started my game. Fantastic experience btw, with the new stable 3D.

I'd take that shit back based on principle. Absolutely ridiculous that they think they can sell you a used game at a new game price. I'd raise a shit storm.

(mat)

Anybody know of any grips for this thing yet? Has this been discussed?

I've found this one, but I hate waiting thirteen years for things to arrive. Anyone know anywhere selling this with faster shipping to Canada?

I trust the product, as I have the same brand for my old XL. Great grip.

Take it back to Gamestop, find the same person that handled your purchase and show them the complete files and the avatar. Then ask for the manager of that location.

But before doing all of this, locate and find the district manager of the Gamestop you went to and let them know that you were charged a new price for a used game.

they might have just given you a cart from the used drawer by mistake.

The sleeves are labeled either new or used. New games would have to be shrink wrapped.

Raise a stink about it. This BS can't be allowed to happen. Demand compensation for wasting your time, too.

Hattori

Banned

iirc GameStop employees can actually take games home and play them, I guess someone forgot to erase the game save(s) before returning it

Take it back to Gamestop, find the same person that handled your purchase and show them the complete files and the avatar. Then ask for the manager of that location.

But before doing all of this, locate and find the district manager of the Gamestop you went to and let them know that you were charged a new price for a used game.

The sleeves are labeled either new or used. New games would have to be shrink wrapped.

In my haste, I looked at it and said "wtf is this..." and deleted all three. I really should have taken a screenshot, but I haven't played a cart game in like 10+ years so I didn't even think that saves were stored on the cart at the time, I thought they were stored on the consoles memory card. (this is my first cart console since the Genesis)

I really should make a stink but I just don't have the energy to go back to the store. I stopped shopping at GameStop after a horrible experience about 5 years ago, the worst consumer experience I've ever had anywhere in my life, and I only went there this time because, obviously, the 3DS is only available retail. I don't care about a refund or anything (what's the difference of new vs. old.. $5?), but more or less just want to shame Gamestop. I tweeted at them a few times about it to see if I get a response.

In my haste, I looked at it and said "wtf is this..." and deleted all three. I really should have taken a screenshot, but I haven't played a cart game in like 10+ years so I didn't even think that saves were stored on the cart at the time, It hought they were stored on the consoles memory card. (this is my first cart console since the Genesis)

WELP! You have no case now... maybe the Wii avatar is still on there?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
On my way to buy the white n3DS. If I find it too small I'll give it to my younger girl and get the XL when it's in stock.

Its extremely common at Gamestop, employees are allowed to take home new games play them and then they sell those games as new. It works for them because most customers don't know/care and take the cart as you did, if you raise a stink about it at purchase time though they will usually sell you a sealed package instead, assuming the store has any left.

At this point it would be a case of he said vs you said so unless you want to waste a bunch of time in store and on the phone I'd just let it go and remember, next time (if there is one) you shop at gamestop don't take unsealed games as new condition, either demand used price or a new copy. A smart consumer can make the used thing work for them, since there is a 20% used game coupon always floating around and they regularly run B2G1F used game deals.

Stuff you buy online from gamestop (best buy, amazon, etc) doesn't have this problem, it always comes sealed and new.

iirc GameStop employees can actually take games home and play them, I guess someone forgot to erase the game save(s) before returning it
Three save files though? Their whole family probably played it. Also, it may be their policy, but it's nuts. It's been opened and used, therefore it counts as used in my book.

georly

My brother is trying to transfer, and the new zelda 3DS lost internet connection mid transfer... what does he do?

Power them both off, start over? Restart on the new 3DS? Call nintendo?

Hattori

Banned
Three save files though? Their whole family probably played it. Also, it may be their policy, but it's nuts. It's been opened and used, therefore it counts as used in my book.
I'm not defending it, I'm just informing people. It's the reason I don't buy any new game from GameStop that has not been preordered, it's bound to be gutted and sold as new. I go to BB for new games nowadays with GCU.

Quoting myself because I'm awesome.

So apparently the 3D image stabilization is problematic for people who wear glasses. I can't see shit without my glasses, so I guess no 3D for me. Oh well.

Just btw. I wear glasses and the 3D on my New 3DS XL works amazingly well - MUCH MUCH better than on the original 3DS and the original XL.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The 3D works so well, next I want this with Vita graphics and Nintendo games.

Time to discover Majora's Mask now gentlemen.

Snaps, saw on the website that a gamestop near by had the new red ones, went by on my lunch break (didnt get to eat, lulz) and they were able to give me one. Now I gotta wait until work is over. =[

I only have the original DS, don't never got one of the 3ds'. Shall be fun. What games yall recommend?

Tall Paul

Still loving my white 3DS, been playing some ACNL and MM, trying to find a cheap version of Mario 3D Land but even second hand versions in Game are £27, eBay it is, appreciate its Mario so will always hold a bit of value but when its been given for free or in a sale at £4.99 upwards its bloomin annoying!

Pachimari

I just wish I could hold the 3DS closer to me while having 3D turned on but then it starts to flicker.

Still loving my white 3DS, been playing some ACNL and MM, trying to find a cheap version of Mario 3D Land but even second hand versions in Game are £27, eBay it is, appreciate its Mario so will always hold a bit of value but when its been given for free or in a sale at £4.99 upwards its bloomin annoying!
I bought 4 copies of Super Mario 3D Land for $4 each a long time ago. I sold them all (the last one I had last year), and now I'm left with nothing. :(

The n3DS model is significantly better than my original model 3DS, I'm very happy I bought it. The bigger screen is much more immersive for 3D games, the bigger console makes controls a ton better than they were on the smaller model, and the 3D itself works MUCH better than it did previously. A definite step up from the original 3DS.

Chorazin

I just wish I could hold the 3DS closer to me while having 3D turned on but then it starts to flicker.

I bought 4 copies of Super Mario 3D Land for $4 each a long time ago. I sold them all (the last one I had last year), and now I'm left with nothing. :(

Have you tried turing off the Super Stable 3D in settings?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Just btw. I wear glasses and the 3D on my New 3DS XL works amazingly well - MUCH MUCH better than on the original 3DS and the original XL.

Same. I notice little difference between glasses or when I have my contacts in. I do have glasses with anti reflective coating on the lenses. So maybe that helps.

Busaiku

So now I got about 3 hours 50 minutes playing Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate with brightness at 5, no 3D, sound max.
I remember my original 3DS (not XL) got less than 3 hours sometimes with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, though I can't remember the brightness.

Pachimari

Have you tried turing off the Super Stable 3D in settings?

Yes, and it's the same. I honestly have to say, that it's so far worse than on my OG 3DS. Maybe an exaggeration but in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate I always see ghosting.

But in menus it's crisp and clear as day, even when I turn my head.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I keep going back and forth on if I need a new 3DS, but my L button keeps breaking and requiring me to open the back and fix it, and I can't play Monster Hunter like that

And my GameStop got some more in.

So I'll be joining this party tonight

ZOONAMI

Yes, and it's the same. I honestly have to say, that it's so far worse than on my OG 3DS. Maybe an exaggeration but in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate I always see ghosting.

Mine was like this too. Returned it, picking up another one today.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I've come to the conclusion that Tracking 3D doesn't work well in low lighting, any way to turn it back to normal 3D?

There is an option to turn off the super stable 3D. Just dig around in the settings menu.

I haven't had issues with that personally though. Works fine for me in bed in total dark sans the light from the screens even with my glasses on.

K.Sabot

I'M SEEING THIS TOO IN MH4U

I thought it was just the tracking 3D

Top Bottom