• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

AEREC

Kinda bummed the N3DS doesnt give a boost to older games such as a constant 60FPS in 3D mode in SSFIV. Not that I shoudl have been expecting it or anything.

Still the extra wiggle room with the 3D is nice though.

ZOONAMI

I didn't want to buy one but I couldn't resist that sexy wooden cover. It looks and feels great.

3D is so much better, I don't turn it off anymore. The system is noticeably snappier, and the materials feel much nicer than on the og 3DS. I just wish the screen were higher res. Oh well, can't have everything.

Dammit this makes me so mad at NoA

Chorazin

curious what color y'all got.

Think the available ones are...

blue
black (the LE's are black on the inside)
white
red (US only)

Went with the plain old black XL, although i kinda wish I got the red one at times. Wish hardware companies would sell white systems in the US :(

The red XL is incredibly sexy. I was super salty about them not bringing out the regular n3DS here, but once I got a look at the red XL I couldn't stay mad. It is that nice.

Love that wood faceplate. :(

Have the red one coming today... my fingers are crossed it shows up in good health. My red Chopper Purse is ready to go. I have my micro card and screwdriver ready.

I thankfully had the right screwdriver because I replaced my Wii U gamepad battery earlier this year. I discovered not only did my small screwdriver set not have the right size, my eyeglass screwdriver wasn't either. The heads were not precision cut well enough and I'd strip the screws. There's a little Husky 8 in 1 set I picked up while I was StreetPassing at Home Depot that works really nice though.

samn

That wood faceplate doesn't look right to me, next to the black plastic. I'm hoping they come out with a really dark wood/felt faceplate that won't scratch like all their plastic ones.

I've gone regular flare red 3DS -> ALBW 3DS XL and...white Japanese 3DS LL -> Japanese MH4G New 3DS XL.

Man, I told myself that I'd stop buying another 3DS but guess what happened...

Also ordered the black MH4U and wooden plates and got those today. Couldn't resist buying the latter since Elkjøp Norway was selling it for the same price (169 NOK) as the regular cover plates. The MH4U plates were the most expensive ones! I wonder if the wodden plate was a price error, since it was quickly sold out and other online retailers are currently selling it for 250+ NOK. Hori screen protectors and pouch should arrive tomorrow.
I have those exact two XLs.

I've gone regular flare red 3DS -> ALBW 3DS XL and...white Japanese 3DS LL -> Japanese MH4G New 3DS XL.

Man, I told myself that I'd stop buying another 3DS but guess what happened...

Also ordered the black MH4U and wooden plates and got those today. Couldn't resist buying the latter since Elkjøp Norway was selling it for the same price (169 NOK) as the regular cover plates. The MH4U plates were the most expensive ones! I wonder if the wodden plate was a price error, since it was quickly sold out and other online retailers are currently selling it for 250+ NOK. Hori screen protectors and pouch should arrive tomorrow.

So, which one do you prefer?

The Gamestop by my office said they should have some in today's shipment but won't know until they go through it in about two hours. I don't suppose there's any chance there'd be some MM editions in there?

hitgirl

after much consideration I'm going to wait for the new 3DS to come to america, if it does. If it doesn't Im fine with my old XL.

webkatt

after much consideration I'm going to wait for the new 3DS to come to america, if it does. If it doesn't Im fine with my old XL.

I'm in the same boat. I danced around with the idea of getting a XL but I'm going to regret it if the smaller one comes out.

I have an old XL already

kaskade

I'm definitely jealous of the normal 3ds. I'm sure I won't be bothered by the size of the XL since it's just going in my bag, but I love those faceplate options.

AEREC

Question about the MH4 n3DS console. Is it easy to open the back cover to replace microSD?

Depends on who you ask...I did not have too much trouble with it. Just dont unscrew the screws all the way (they dont come out) and stop when you hear the clicking. Use the end of the stylus to pry off the bottom cover once unscrewed...it will make a breaking sound but it shouldn't actually break.

Rootbeer

Banned
I love my New 3DS XL MM Edition but those faceplates are Soooo striking.

If it ever becomes available in America I will be very tempted to get one.

I'll say this though: Nintendo's next handheld should have this feature by default. It's awesome.
So who is doing the best trade in values on old XLs? Looking to potential get MH4 and maybe the order with my old XL.
Well Gamestop was offering $100 which I think was very fair for a device I've been using for two full years. I read gamestop will be re-offering the $100 deal once they get more New 3DS stock but I don't know if that is accurate.

oakenhild

Just picked up a black 3ds xl at Target. Looks like they just stocked them at various stores.

My store only had 2 of that model in stock, so it looks like supplies are pretty limited. No red or LE's.

Joei

I got an MM N3DS and SM3DL on launch day, and while I have been enjoying the system (SM3DL is f'n sick, I think better than 3DW tbh), god damn those hand cramps. I can't figure out a great way to hold the system while I'm in bed and my left hand cramps up within 15-20 minutes. It seems like the system is so big and they just squeezed the buttons in there and placed them so close to the edge of the system. Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I absolutely adore my MM N3DSXL.

I'm blown away by how much better the sound/speaker volume is on this thing. That was my main complaint with the previous iteration. Also, the "super-stable" 3D is brilliant. I feel like I can play Starfox 3D again.

j-wood

Oh cool, I guess Nintendo decided to supply constrain the AC adapter, but then again, how could they know EVERYONE WOULD NEED TO BUY ONE?

Every store is sold out, even amazon. WTF Nintendo.

samn

I got an MM N3DS and SM3DL on launch day, and while I have been enjoying the system (SM3DL is f'n sick, I think better than 3DW tbh), god damn those hand cramps. I can't figure out a great way to hold the system while I'm in bed and my left hand cramps up within 15-20 minutes. It seems like the system is so big and they just squeezed the buttons in there and placed them so close to the edge of the system. Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

It took me a few days to 'break in' my hands on my old XL. There's really two ways to hold it: with your palms pushed up against the device, or with your palms off to the side and the device held by the ends of your fingers, pinkies resting on the bottom. I prefer the latter.

Moosehole

Oh cool, I guess Nintendo decided to supply constrain the AC adapter, but then again, how could they know EVERYONE WOULD NEED TO BUY ONE?

Amazon has them here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJTA87A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's a third party seller, and in bulk packaging, but it is fulfilled by Amazon, and I bought this last week and can confirm that they are both new, and the official Nintendo charger.

They seemed to have raised the price by $5 since I bought mine, but if you want it there it is.

Call to Nintendo fixed it. A Link Between Worlds is once again in my library. Many thanks, buddy!

You called Nintendo this morning and they already remotely transferred your licenses? I called them last night and they told me it would take 5-7 days...

Rootbeer

Banned

I also have this problem which is why I pretty much can't play in bed. Yeah, it's a bummer.

I wish I could just put a pillow on my stomach or something and play that way, that might be more comfortable... but I can't because the headphone port is on the bottom so the wire sticks out making it difficult to sit the system on any surface.

I could play without headphones but when it's night time it's difficult for me to not use headphones caused i'm considerate and don't have a lot of buffer space around me

The Hori one was delayed until March for some reason. I think it's worth waiting for it. Just be extra careful for a couple weeks. :)

there are cases for the old XL but the dimensions of the New XL are different so I don't want to risk the fit not being as perfect as it needs to be. So I'm willing to wait a bit.

i've actually noticed on amazon the clear cases for the old XL are moving up the charts, selling a lot more since the New XL was released. I hope people are not buying these to put on their New XL... cause it's not designed to fit on it and it may not work right.
yeah, the one my ALBW xl is in is just a smidge too small. :/

waiting game it is then

GC Adapter strategy at work.
Seriously I do not understand NoA anymore...

I was debating on getting the white MH4U plate as well but decided otherwise since I think white on black looks weird.
I ordered both of them. I will post pictures of the white cover. I do agree that I wanted both of them.

So here is a picture I was able to get of the marks on the buttons on my Majoras Mask N3DSXL

2mY0la5.jpg

Anyone else have these?

The EB Games I got it from has a replacement on the way for it. I'm just hoping that one doesn't have dead pixels or something worse.

I'll check both out.

Moosehole

So here is a picture I was able to get of the marks on the buttons on my Majoras Mask N3DSXL

Anyone else have these?

The EB Games I got it from has a replacement on the way for it. I'm just hoping that one doesn't have dead pixels or something worse.

I'll check both out.
I have the New Black XL and my buttons have the same marks. It appears to be how the buttons rest against the top half when the unit is closed.

I have the New Black XL and my buttons have the same marks. It appears to be how the buttons rest against the top half when the unit is closed.

Ugh. Annoying.

I'm going to check out the replacement they are sending anyways. Maybe they won't be as bad.

They were like that right of the box and it had a piece of packing material in between the top and bottom of the shell. Hrmmm

Moosehole

Ugh. Annoying.

I'm going to check out the replacement they are sending anyways. Maybe they won't be as bad.

They were like that right of the box and it had a piece of packing material in between the top and bottom of the shell. Hrmmm
Same here... Well it can't hurt to check it out.

Anyone else have these?

I'll check both out.

Mine had those marks. Someone in this thread told me it was normal... I exchanged it ASAP. The new one was in perfect condition.

I have a question, is the top screen supposed to be so wobbly? Is really annoying depending on the angle you are playing.

dedhead54

Just drove 1 hr round trip to pick up my N3DSXL from a Wal-Mart on the outskirts of town. Just got back and opened it up and an issue with the bottom screen. It has two distinct spots, right next to each other, where the screen is not flat.

I looked for two days, went to 6 stores, and then when I finally found one it has this issue. I am frustrated and don't really know what I should do.

Do you guys think I should contact Nintendo for warranty repair? That Wal-Mart, and all other Wal-Marts around here, definitely do not have any replacements in stock. It clearly is a manufacturing defect. And I would love if I could play for a couple of days while I am here out of town for a funeral, then send it back to Nintendo after the weekend when I am back home.

Mine had those marks. Someone in this thread told me it was normal... I exchanged it ASAP. The new one was in perfect condition.

I have a question, is the top screen supposed to be so wobbly? Is really annoying depending on the angle you are playing.

Your replacement didn't have the marks on the buttons?

The high amount of new XL defects is a bit odd for Nintendo.
Generally their quality control is pretty good.

This launch really was phoned in America, huh?

Top Bottom