• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Got my transfer completed and everything looks good. Time to retire good ol' Yoshi 3DS to the display shelf. Kind of a sad day, actually.

95FE528D-3545-480E-AE7A-0DCF41F988AD.jpg

Ryhian

So here is a picture I was able to get of the marks on the buttons on my Majoras Mask N3DSXL

Anyone else have these?

The EB Games I got it from has a replacement on the way for it. I'm just hoping that one doesn't have dead pixels or something worse.

I'll check both out.

The red N3DSXL I got from GS for my daughter looks almost identical to your picture. While I was annoyed it wasn't a big deal to me. If it was my MH version or the MM mask version then I would certainly be raising a stink though.

dmann

My launch day black n3DS XL has those same line/marks on the buttons. Not a big deal, but I know it will eventually bother me. I was considering exchanging it but the damn thing is sold out everywhere! I'll just live with it for now :(

Can anyone link me to a simple, inexpensive screwdriver on Amazon (or, I guess, elsewhere) that will fit? Everything on Amazon seems to be a full set of different sizes.

(mat)

Can anyone link me to a simple, inexpensive screwdriver on Amazon (or, I guess, elsewhere) that will fit? Everything on Amazon seems to be a full set of different sizes.

The screwdriver I used was from a dollar store. Found in a set like the one you described.

Got my transfer completed and everything looks good. Time to retire good ol' Yoshi 3DS to the display shelf. Kind of a sad day, actually.

95FE528D-3545-480E-AE7A-0DCF41F988AD.jpg

We get it! You have cool stuff! Stop rubbing it in!
:p

Edit: In case it wasn't clear, I was poking fun at the double post. Carry on.

Welp, just wasted my last screen protector. Seriously hate these things! I've only ever gotten ONE (out of probably at least 15) to go on properly.

backlot

Ugh. Annoying.

I'm going to check out the replacement they are sending anyways. Maybe they won't be as bad.

They were like that right of the box and it had a piece of packing material in between the top and bottom of the shell. Hrmmm

I have a Red one that was like that right out of the box as well. Doesn't really bother me though.

The screwdriver I used was from a dollar store. Found in a set like the one you described.

We get it! You have cool stuff! Stop rubbing it in!
:p

Edit: In case it wasn't clear, I was poking fun at the double post. Carry on.

Oops! I didn't even notice! Sorry. Fixed.

Welp, just wasted my last screen protector. Seriously hate these things! I've only ever gotten ONE (out of probably at least 15) to go on properly.
I never could figure out how to put them on.
Anyways, they confirmed the DSi and forward is reinforced with more scratch resistant material.
So unless you are rough, then you should be fine without one.

_woLf

What are the chances that the blue XL gets released in America this year?

I really, REALLY want a new 3ds. Majoras Mask on my OG non-XL blue 3ds has made me remember how uncomfortable it is for me playing zelda games on it.

But I really don't want a red or black one. :(

Zing

Banned
sad that the idle battery is still ass.

They really should let you turn off streetpass while still having wifi on.
The complete wifi has negligible effect on battery life even over the entire battery charge. Disabling streetpass would do nothing.

Just drove 1 hr round trip to pick up my N3DSXL from a Wal-Mart on the outskirts of town. Just got back and opened it up and an issue with the bottom screen. It has two distinct spots, right next to each other, where the screen is not flat.
This is a whole new level of obsession. This is common on all models of the 3DS. You will never, ever notice it during use, either functionally or aesthetically. You can only see it in reflections when held up to the light.

Do people still play Mario Kart 7 online? Thinking about buying it.

Yep. I bought it again today (better game than MK 8 imo...item distribution sucks in 8) and you always find full matches (worldwide). I don't think the online community dies in the next two years (until new handheld-MK)

Corgi

Banned
So here is a picture I was able to get of the marks on the buttons on my Majoras Mask N3DSXL

Anyone else have these?

The EB Games I got it from has a replacement on the way for it. I'm just hoping that one doesn't have dead pixels or something worse.

I'll check both out.

think my xl has this. no biggie

dedhead54

This is a whole new level of obsession. This is common on all models of the 3DS. You will never, ever notice it during use, either functionally or aesthetically. You can only see it in reflections when held up to the light.

It is very noticeable in reflections when the system is off but you are right. You can't really see it when the screen is on.

Sorry, I am extremely OCD about my stuff. Especially things I just bought (after days of searching). But I guess this a minor defect (at least IMO it is) I can live with.

Link83

2mY0la5.jpg

Anyone else have these?

I'll check both out.
Just so you know, these marks on the buttons are completely normal.

I assume they are a by-product of the plastic manufacturing process (Maybe from the machine that removes the plastic from the moulds?)

I have seen these marks on Nintendo buttons for years (Whenever they switched from a gloss to a matt finish on the buttons) My Wii U GamePad and Wii U Pro Controller both have them - heck even my DS Lite had them! The marks vary to some degree, and on some buttons you need to look quite closely under a light source, but I have always seen them.

Anyone else have these?

I'll check both out.

Same marks over here,,,,guess it's common. I remember the NGC had the same mark near the power button.

MarkusRJR

Just drove 1 hr round trip to pick up my N3DSXL from a Wal-Mart on the outskirts of town. Just got back and opened it up and an issue with the bottom screen. It has two distinct spots, right next to each other, where the screen is not flat.

I looked for two days, went to 6 stores, and then when I finally found one it has this issue. I am frustrated and don't really know what I should do.

Do you guys think I should contact Nintendo for warranty repair? That Wal-Mart, and all other Wal-Marts around here, definitely do not have any replacements in stock. It clearly is a manufacturing defect. And I would love if I could play for a couple of days while I am here out of town for a funeral, then send it back to Nintendo after the weekend when I am back home.
I have those bumps on the bottom screen along with really bad light bleed in the bottom right corner (only noticeable when holding it book style). I also have a pretty bad wobble on the hinge (slides horizontally and flops around a bit when I lie in bed), have the marks on my buttons and d-pad, and have weird plastic molding issues (weird sharp bumps). Really disappointing because apart from those issues it's really nice.

I'm just happy I don't have dead pixels. My friend had one on his and EB Games wouldn't take it back to get a replacement. Nintendo's QA department must gave become really lax or something.

You called Nintendo this morning and they already remotely transferred your licenses? I called them last night and they told me it would take 5-7 days...

Yeah, as we spoke on the phone actually. Nintendo's customer service in The Netherlands that is. Maybe they don't have as much of a workload.

Rich!

Anyone else have these?

I'll check both out.

The bolded = an absolute waste of time. Sorry.

Getting a replacement is pointless - EVERY NEW XL IS THE SAME. My australian launch unit has the same marks on the buttons. So does my mate's Blue New XL and MM3D XL. The australian and JP launch threads have loads of reports of it. It's on every single XL console and is a byproduct of how the buttons are made.

holy shit i just got mine delivered like half an hour ago

goddamn the improved tracking 3d is incredible

but anyways since my old 3ds broke, i'm gonna have to call nintendo to delink my nnid from my broken, which will probably take a few days, but i'll be fine if i just play cartridge games i got that don't have patches, right?

also my old 3ds had a 16 gb micro sd card, once i get my nnid linked to my new 3ds xl, will i be able to keep using my data that was on that card or will i have to start over for every game i had?

Vena

BestBuy has yet to ship my not-canceled MM NXL.

So I called, bitched, and got 100$ off of a black N XL... I guess that's better than nothing. I'll be leaving the pre-order active for the MM NXL, what are the odds I ever see it?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
anyone having issues with their docks? Mine won't charge if I just drop the n3DS in, I have to push it into place. And then to remove it I have to hold down the dock because it is wedged in.

I'm using the wooden cover plates but they don't seem to be sticking out more than the original ones (I'll try those in the morning). Really annoyed because if I can't fix this then the dock is way less convenient.

anyone having issues with their docks? Mine won't charge if I just drop the n3DS in, I have to push it into place. And then to remove it I have to hold down the dock because it is wedged in.

I'm using the wooden cover plates but they don't seem to be sticking out more than the original ones (I'll try those in the morning). Really annoyed because if I can't fix this then the dock is way less convenient.

I've noticed that the dock for the standard n3DS is a very tight fit for my unit, also with the wood cover plate. The unit needs to be pushed into place in order for the charge to occur.

On the other hand, my n3DS XL simply drops into it's cradle and no additional force is needed to begin the charge process.

DagsJT

Got the dock today and also found that I have to push the 3DS in, which fits so snugly that I need to hold the dock to pick the 3DS back up. Not as great as the old cradle for the XL.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Looking to maybe import a normal new 3DS for new 3DS games. Should I get a PAL or Japanese model, assuming prices are the same?

And are the wooden and felt cover plates completely sold out? Where can I get them at a reasonable price?

I am attempting a system transfer currently from my old 3ds xl to my new 3ds xl. I want to do the pc transfer, however, there is one thing I can't seem to find the answer for.

My target microSD card (the included one) is too small. I bought a 32gb one to fit my junk, but I don't know which microSD card I should have in my system before doing the transfer. Does anyone have the answer to this question?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I have to exchange my system because of a very obnoxious dead pixel in the middle of my screen, but I hastily performed my transfer before I noticed it. It sucks to have to wait a week to make another transfer.

I have those bumps on the bottom screen along with really bad light bleed in the bottom right corner (only noticeable when holding it book style). I also have a pretty bad wobble on the hinge (slides horizontally and flops around a bit when I lie in bed), have the marks on my buttons and d-pad, and have weird plastic molding issues (weird sharp bumps). Really disappointing because apart from those issues it's really nice.
I have to exchange my system because of a very obnoxious dead pixel in the middle of my screen
Before NA launch every post I've read on GAF regarding build quality was the same, basically how amazing the build quality is on the N3DS XL.

After NA launch, tons of posts of people generally unsatisfied with the N3DS XL build quality.

I'm personally waiting for a couple more shipments to come in until I buy mine. I want that initial worldwide/NA batch completely gone before I buy one.

ghibli99

Ordered a black one on BB after swearing to myself that I wouldn't. Shiny objects and whatnot. Anyway, looking forward to seeing how much it differs from the current XL, which I'll be selling along with the CN cradle and charger. Not expecting anything too drastic... just a little more refined. Plus, I like the placement of the Select/Start buttons, which better mirrors the DS and Wii U. As for the quality, that's interesting... I did notice that the later-generation DS Lites were noticeably worse in quality than the launch ones. Crooked screens, splotchy colors, light bleed, etc. My original white one was flawless... until the L button crapped out and couldn't be fixed. :(

Camjo-Z

Hoping someone here can answer this. I can't system transfer my 3DS stuff to my New 3DS until next month (no wireless internet ATM), but I wanted to play the pre-installed copy of MH4 now. Will that save data get erased when I transfer?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Before NA launch every post I've read on GAF regarding build quality was the same, basically how amazing the build quality is on the N3DS XL.

After NA launch, tons of posts of people generally unsatisfied with the N3DS XL build quality.

I'm personally waiting for a couple more shipments to come in until I buy mine. I want that initial worldwide/NA batch completely gone before I buy one.

That's how it usually is when people talk about their product purchase to others who don't yet have access to said product. Don't get me wrong, I think the system is decent. I just want a perfect screen.

Zing

Banned
Hoping someone here can answer this. I can't system transfer my 3DS stuff to my New 3DS until next month (no wireless internet ATM), but I wanted to play the pre-installed copy of MH4 now. Will that save data get erased when I transfer?
Yes. The save data is on the current SD card using a system specific ID. You won't be able to transfer (manually or otherwise) the save game after you do the system transfer.

Use a cell phone as a wifi access point.

Netto-kun

I have those exact two XLs.
Great taste! :)

So, which one do you prefer?
Are you asking about the systems or the cover plates? If the former my preferences are N3DSLL > 3DSXL = N3DS. If the latter then Mario wooden plate > MH4U plate.

GC Adapter strategy at work.
I ordered both of them. I will post pictures of the white cover. I do agree that I wanted both of them.
Looking forward to that. :)

Now to wait for the Zelda cover plates to show up in Norway. Curious whether Nintendo have plans for some Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS cover plates to go along with the game release.

Camjo-Z

Yes. The save data is on the current SD card using a system specific ID. You won't be able to transfer (manually or otherwise) the save game after you do the system transfer.

Use a cell phone as a wifi access point.

Shucks, guess I won't get too attached to my file then. I'd do the cell phone thing but my university has rules against personal hotspots... better safe than sorry.

Top Bottom