• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Vena

Configured and finally got to test out the Black N3DS XL, and I am very pleased. The 3D is great now (showed it to a few friends, they'll likely be jumping in now but they are charger-less and 3DS virgins, haha) and I find the camera control with the nub great for MH4U, very easy to use and control the camera with while also keeping my fingers around the x-a buttons for use in the game.

I've noticed my d-stick is very rigid compared to my OG XL, and I wonder if that's new or was my OG XL just worn down a ton? The control in MH4U is considerably better and tighter, so I think it may just be that my OG XL was either really worn down or just outright defective forever and I never realized.

Load times. Holy crap the improvements, but why the hell does Settings still take two days to open and close? Is this some sort of in-built thing and settings has to enter some alternate mode of the 3DS? Its very, very slow and I saw no real improvements between the OG and the New on this load time.

I have no idea how you're supposed to your the two back trigger buttons, they're really awkward, but the regular shoulder buttons feel a lot better to me now than the OG XL ones. Again, this may be simply due to wear my OG XL is quite old and worn down from a lot of play time.

Overall, very happy.

For those with the new black XL, is it a fingerprint magnet like the Majora's Mask edition?

Yes.

Conezays

Anyone else have anything weird like this happen? Now, I could've sworn I had enough battery on my New 3DS, but let's assume for the sake of the argument, it died. When I plugged in the system and turned it on again, the date and time had been reset, but thankfully no lost data/save files. Kind of weird.

While at work today, Walmart let me ordered a black New 3DS XL on their site. Skeptical and with no other options I put the order in and thought that i'd look around town and try to find one in the mean time, thinking that they'd not ship one till sometime next week.

After work, I figured i'd try Target, even though there site said no stores had them and they weren't available to order or pickup. Well, I went in and they had 3 red New 3DS XLs, and thought okay, I'll just cancel my Walmart order when I get home. I went out to eat with some buddies and got an e-mail saying my Walmart order shipped.

Weird that i've looked all week for one of these and somehow ended up with two.

Also, the system transfer is a god damn nightmare.

Kiryu

Anyone who got MM n3DS XL from best buy arrived yet? I may get it today. :D
10635705_971535946191581_8966721200842710150_n.jpg

:)

Rewind

I guess my C Stick is broken, down and left barely register, down especially. Guess I have to get it repaired by Nintendo, kinda shitty since I can't transfer back to my old XL.

BooJoh

anyone having issues with their docks? Mine won't charge if I just drop the n3DS in, I have to push it into place. And then to remove it I have to hold down the dock because it is wedged in.

I'm using the wooden cover plates but they don't seem to be sticking out more than the original ones (I'll try those in the morning). Really annoyed because if I can't fix this then the dock is way less convenient.

Got the dock today and also found that I have to push the 3DS in, which fits so snugly that I need to hold the dock to pick the 3DS back up. Not as great as the old cradle for the XL.

My new XL just drops intro the dock perfectly, not a tight fit and I don't have to hold it down to take it out. I just set it in and the light comes on.

daxy

Anyone else have anything weird like this happen? Now, I could've sworn I had enough battery on my New 3DS, but let's assume for the sake of the argument, it died. When I plugged in the system and turned it on again, the date and time had been reset, but thankfully no lost data/save files. Kind of weird.

This happened to my old XL from time to time. Sometimes I closed it and when I opened it back up it would be off. At first I thought that the battery was loose, but it seemed to only happen with my MH3U cart inside the system so I figured that the cart might somehow be defective. Stopped playing it and didn't encounter this problem again.

So here's my situation:

I formatted my old XL in order to sell it but i haven't yet. Got my new XL today and i want to transfer my NNID to it. The thing is, old XL isn't attached to my NNID after the system format and i want transfer it to my New XL. how do i do this?

Any help would be appreciated.
So you still have the old XL? Very easy then.

Sign into the NNID on the old XL and carry out the system transfer as normal. Unlike what you think the NNID is still attached to the old XL; it is has just been logged out. I'm not sure why Nintendo claim formatting the system unlinks and NNID when it clearly doesn't...

Shadders

I've had the N3DS for a few weeks now (it's the Ambassador one) and I'm getting really bad cramp/RSI from using it. I played about an hour and a half last night, and my left thumb is still sore now.

I feel like this is going to make it pretty much unusable for me. Has anyone else suffered this? Is the XL any better?

I never had an issue with the normal 3DS and XL.

First drop! Just a feet and no visible damage, but man, that stuff freaks me out.
Especially since I'm already sending it in for repair. Wouldn't want to void my warranty.

Pachimari

I haven't even checked mine for dead pixels. Too scared to do so. And even though there'll be a few dead pixels, I won't be able to exchange or return it at the store.

psychotron

So I'm nearly a week in and I absolutely love my new 3DS XL. The 3D, when used right in a game, is way more than a gimmick. It makes Mario 3D Land an absolute joy to play. Even something like Mario Kart just feels better with the 3D enabled. Fuck yeah Nintendo!

So it has come to light that the US shipments are low because of the strike.
Now it really shows they should have delayed the US launch.

Welp, my willpower is close to zero. I had told myself that I wouldn't buy a N3DS just yet... That maybe later on in the spring... But I saw the system on a store-shelf, noticed that the price is in the "not that bad" -range, and since I had some spare cash - whatever spending-money I had for this month are now gone, though - I grabbed the system. I didn't buy a charger, as I want a cradle, so I will not be using my system just yet.

But now I can live with the comfort of knowing that I have the system. And that, in time, I will get The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Monster Hunter 4 and Xenoblade Chronicles.

Lé Blade Runner;152728217 said:
Welp, my willpower is close to zero. I had told myself that I wouldn't buy a N3DS just yet... That maybe later on in the spring... But I saw the system on a store-shelf, noticed that the price is in the "not that bad" -range, and since I had some spare cash - whatever spending-money I had for this month are now gone, though - I grabbed the system. I didn't buy a charger, as I want a cradle, so I will not be using my system just yet.

But now I can live with the comfort of knowing that I have the system. And that, in time, I will get The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Monster Hunter 4 and Xenoblade Chronicles.

Don't all of the official cradles require the AC Adapter?
I thought they function similarly to the OG 3DS cradle.

BooJoh

The cradle requires an AC Adapter, but doesn't come with one. Might as well get an Adapter.

kubus

Congrats on your pick-up! But you know that the cradle doesn't with a charger right? You still have to buy the charger separately :p.

edit: horribly beaten

The n3DS is a pretty solid improvement over the original. Load time are way better, downloads are snappier, and the 3D is actually usable without sitting still as a statue. The only reasons to get an old one now are if you can get one dirt cheap or you're a hardcore collector IMO.

I'm addicted to Smash Run. Please send help. D:

Loefah

Banned
I've got both the White and Black N3DS reserved for store pickup. Going to get one later but I still can't decide on which colour. First world problems.

Loefah

Banned
Lé Blade Runner;152737976 said:
I'd say Black. At least that is what I got.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah it seems to look better with most of the faceplates. I was set on black but seeing a few pics of the white n3DS in this thread made me rethink.

Jinjo

Does anyone have any good pics of the Metallic Blue/Black New 3DS (most curious to the Blue one)? Offcourse everyone is posting their MM edition, but I'm debating cancelling my pre-order since I don't feel like waiting another month, without any certainty it's coming (all the while the retailer is keeping a 'reserve' on my creditcard, ridiculous). Wanna have a look how those systems look in normal daylight conditions.

FaintDeftone

I really wish the XL cradle would come out in the States. I can import one on eBay for $20 shipped but I don't really want to wait forever for it to arrive from Japan. *sigh*

DagsJT

I got my standard 3DS on Monday and transferred from an OG XL, but have decided to sell to a colleague and get a new XL. Am I right in thinking I can't transfer from my current n3DS to a new XL before next Monday?

I get some sort of image duplication with 3D on. It's like I have slight double vision or something. I don't know if I calibrated it correctly, so I'll try that, but in the meantime has anyone had that experience?

Quoting myself because I'm awesome.

So apparently the 3D image stabilization is problematic for people who wear glasses. I can't see shit without my glasses, so I guess no 3D for me. Oh well.

I've been loving my white normal N3DS since picking it up, only thing that isn't great is the hinge has a bit of looseness to it.
Looser than the OG but nowhere near as loose as my XL so ehhh, I just figured that's how they were.

But I played around on a black unit today, oh man the hinge is super solid it doesn't move at all!
So now mine's really bugging me.
When I tilt it backwards and forwards it falls into place.
Also when I open the screen to the second stop there's an audible click too which this black unit doesn't have.
Weirdly this black unit came out of the box with a bit of cloth between the screens but my white unit never.

This is gonna drive me crazy over time :(

Pachimari

I've got both the White and Black N3DS reserved for store pickup. Going to get one later but I still can't decide on which colour. First world problems.
I went black. You can just never go wrong with it. A black device around the screen at night and the colored buttons are more striking and looks better on black.

I've been loving my white normal N3DS since picking it up, only thing that isn't great is the hinge has a bit of looseness to it.
Looser than the OG but nowhere near as loose as my XL so ehhh, I just figured that's how they were.

But I played around on a black unit today, oh man the hinge is super solid it doesn't move at all!
So now mine's really bugging me.
When I tilt it backwards and forwards it falls into place.
Also when I open the screen to the second stop there's an audible click too which this black unit doesn't have.
Weirdly this black unit came out of the box with a bit of cloth between the screens but my white unit never.

This is gonna drive me crazy over time :(
Unfortunate to hear but it doesn't have anything to do with the color.

TehOh

I believe it is actually more expensive that way. Amazon UK's black cradle is much more expensive than importing the Japanese model from eBay.

I ordered the cradle from Amazon UK a few days ago and it came out to about $21 shipped to the US. Will be here next week, so much faster shipping too.

[edit] Never mind, just saw that they were sold out. It was something like 9 pounds before.

Volotaire

I was white because I wanted it to look like a SNES on the inside, but have decided on black because white (or grey in this case ) discolours, dirt on white against black , contrast of screens better with the black and the black system still looks great. Plus the Triforce facpelates.

Top Bottom