• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Pachimari

Mine was like this too. Returned it, picking up another one today.

It actually looks fine on a little distance. Just wish I could have it close to my eyes. I find my contacts getting dry every time I look at the 3D.

I'M SEEING THIS TOO IN MH4U

I thought it was just the tracking 3D
I have noticed that it is just really slow at picking up my eye movement before it corrects the ghosting.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've found that keeping the 3D slider in the lower 1/4 makes ghosting on black backgrounds less apparent, and almost eliminates it if I put the slider at the absolute minimum before turning off.

hunnies28

I keep going back and forth on if I need a new 3DS, but my L button keeps breaking and requiring me to open the back and fix it, and I can't play Monster Hunter like that

And my GameStop got some more in.

So I'll be joining this party tonight

I have a similar issue (faulty R button), my decision is already made. I just can't find any new 3DS available.

Yeah, the eye tracking tech is not all there yet.
While testing it loses me pretty easy.
However, I adjusted it and now it only loses me for short periods meaning the 3D holds longer.

Pachimari

I've found that keeping the 3D slider in the lower 1/4 makes ghosting on black backgrounds less apparent, and almost eliminates it if I put the slider at the absolute minimum before turning off.

I'm especially noticing the ghosting in the bright starting area.

But don't you lose depth if you turn down the slider?

Yeah, the eye tracking tech is not all there yet.
While testing it loses me pretty easy.
However, I adjusted it and now it only loses me for short periods meaning the 3D holds longer.
You re-calibrated?
What is yours set to between -1.0 and +1.0?

Pachimari

People with glasses had luck between -0.8 and -0.5.

I have had mine at -1.0 but I just adjusted it to the default 0.0 and it looked clear now. Just as my first impression. The image on the top screen didn't have any ghosting or flickering but I have yet to test it out in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

The tech shouldn't have a harder time tracking my eyes just because I'm wearing contacts right?

ZOONAMI

Ordered mine from Dell. Estimated delivery date is 3/6/2015! Dohhohoho.

Cancelled my dell order because original delivery date was supposed to be tmrw, called in today and they said it was backordered. Picking up one from Walmart after work.

OuterLimits

Not having much luck getting my preorder from Best Buy delivered. When I check UPS, it arrived in my city two days ago and was out for delivery. Last message I have is from 2 days ago saying emergency situation or weather has delayed delivery. No new update in two friggin days. It has been sunny last two days besides a 30 minute snow shower. Perhaps my 3DS is in a ditch somewhere. Frustrating. Especially since I paid for expedited shipping. Lol.

ZOONAMI

So will the new one still have that issue with the screen scratching?

I don't understand how people are scratching their screens unless they are literally smashing their stylus into the screen, or throwing their unit onto the floor or something with it open. I have had an og and an xl, no screen protectors, no scratches.

Gamestops all around me got a bunch in today (no MM LE version though whomp whomp) so imma get one after work here in a bit. Trying to decide between red or black...

Rich!

Does anyone got sexy pics of the black XL?

Three photos I took of mine when I got it last November:

jnFZKoaEzt7Wq.jpg

jbxwXLlZCgts1k.jpg

dsc_003986dec.jpg

I installed a 16gb microsd card into my New 3DS XL..now it has 8.8gb left and I was just wondering how that could have happened..when it gets formatted in the 3ds does it take away a little space automatically? I put in a bunch of virtual console games(Did the system transfer) plus I downloaded two games(Donkey Kong Country 3DS and Kid Icarus) and had 10 virtual console games transferred over..I guess it makes sense as to why I only have 8.8gb left just wanted to be sure there was nothing wrong with the card

Fucking fuck.

Got my new 3DS XL. Completed the system transfer process, and then attempted to swap in my microSD card.

One screw came out fine. The other absolutely would not come out, and I was definitely using the proper-sized screwdriver. I made absolutely sure of it. Now the screw is completely stripped, and I accidentally put a scratch on the back panel with the screwdriver.

And what the fuck is wrong with Nintendo's customer service? I can't get hold of anyone by phone; all I get are messages to go to the website. The support chat isn't currently available on the website. The only thing I can apparently do is start a repair ticket, which requires a $100 credit card charge.

WHAT THE FUCK, NINTENDO?

IceIpor

Fucking fuck.

Got my new 3DS XL. Completed the system transfer process, and then attempted to swap in my microSD card.

One screw came out fine. The other absolutely would not come out, and I was definitely using the proper-sized screwdriver. I made absolutely sure of it. Now the screw is completely stripped, and I accidentally put a scratch on the back panel with the screwdriver.

And what the fuck is wrong with Nintendo's customer service? I can't get hold of anyone by phone; all I get are messages to go to the website. The support chat isn't currently available on the website. The only thing I can apparently do is start a repair ticket, which requires a $100 credit card charge.

WHAT THE FUCK, NINTENDO?
I know this is too late, but...
The screw isn't suppose to come out. You're suppose to loosen it just enough so that it comes off with the back plate.

I know this is too late, but...
The screw isn't suppose to come out. You're just suppose to loosen it enough so that it comes off with the back plate.

I know this. The one screw did come sufficiently loose to pop off that side of the plate. The other screw absolutely would not.

Boogdud

Well son of a bitch, after finally finding a black n3ds xl and transferring all of my data to it, the damn thing has a green/white stuck pixel. SMH

Edit: it gets even better, like a dumbass, I tried to use the stylus to pop the pixel back and didn't realize it was scratching the screen. Seriously, this has been a miserable experience so far between the long ass, idiotic transfer process and bad QC along with my own ineptitude. Ugh...

Okay, I was finally able to get through to Nintendo CS by phone.

Got a very nice CSR who offered either a free repair (including taking care of putting in my microSD card for me) or a free replacement back plate. I wisely took the free repair. They can deal with these fucking screws; I'm done.

They must be getting tons of calls on this exact issue, because the CSR didn't skip a beat. Those screws are evil.

Why are the buttons so flat? I don't really care one way or another. It's just odd since Nintendo's buttons are usually slightly - very slightly - convex, but the buttons on the New 3DS XL are totally flat. I wonder why they made that change instead of just using the same buttons as the old 3DS XL.

Has anyone else noticed this?

(dammit, I ALWAYS get top of the page with my most useless posts)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
A friend of mine got the MH4U 3DS. He's been playing MH4U on the new system but hasn't done the system transfer yet. Once he does the transfer from his old 3DS to the new one, will his MH4U save file still be there?

carlsojo

Found the last N3DSXL at Target today. Woohoo! I had no idea that the charger didn't come with it, so that was... weird. I'll use the one from my old 3ds in the meantime, but I'll have to buy a new one if I want to sell it.

Raise a stink about it. This BS can't be allowed to happen. Demand compensation for wasting your time, too.
If the game isn't sealed, I'm walking. I've never paid new game price for an unsealed game. I don't even care if it's never actually been played.

No factory seal = fuck off.

Good lord, this thread does two things to me:

1) Makes me feel glad that I had absolutely zero issues with build, system transfer and back panel removal processes with the "new black" N3DS XL I picked up last Friday.

2) Fills me with dread as I'm already performing a system transfer, tomorrow morning, to a Majora's Mask unit. So far the build quality checks out. No stuck puxels, wobbly hinge or inaccurate touch screen. But, please lord, let the back panel process go smoothly.

Lorcain

My God. Playing through Ocarina of Time (for the first time ever in my life) in 3D is fucking GLORIOUS so far. Already makes the $200 purchase worthwhile. I can't wait to beat it and pick up MM.
That was my exact reaction and thought after playing Ocarina on my n3ds XL. I tried using 3D while playing OoT on my old 3ds XL, but the sweet spot was too frustrating to try and maintain. The 3D on my n3ds XL is rock solid. I can move my head, look away, move the device, and it doesn't break the 3D. The only time it breaks is when I completely move away from the screen to talk with someone or look somewhere else, but then as soon as I return to the screen I can see the little red light trying to lock back on. A few seconds later the 3D is locked on and working well.

People should definitely try OoT again in 3D with the n3DS, it really works.

Top Bottom