• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

dedhead54

Still torn on whether or not to try and have Nintendo fix this/replace it. It distracts me, although it isn't visible when in-use. But a $200 piece of hardware should not have defects like this. Surely its not normal.

emGcN6Z.jpg

Boogdud

Well, I tried to return my stuck pixel n3ds, but unfortunately the toys r us does not have a wifi in store, so I couldn't just perform a migration and return my old one. I had to buy another n3ds, in order to transfer my stuff to it and then return the defective one. So yay for $420 n3ds xl...

Only to get home and try to transfer my crap to the new one to get the "This system cannot participate in a transfer for another 7 day(s)". I mean seriously, this is such a load of clown shoes. I'm starting to buy into the whole "Nintendo policies are completely anti-consumer". Because they are, in a big way. This is complete bullshit.

baconcow

Still torn on whether or not to try and have Nintendo fix this/replace it. It distracts me, although it isn't visible when in-use. But a $200 piece of hardware should not have defects like this. Surely its not normal.

I feel your pain. Mine is a piece of plastic stuck in the corner. It raises the bezel quite a bit and doesn't seem to want to be removed. I am picky, too, but at $230 CAD, I think I have the right to be. It hits the stylus when near the sides.

I believe it must be something from the manufacturing process.

Hero

Guys.

Help please.

My original 3DS XL died and I called Nintendo and they made it so my other 3DS XL (not new..yet) can be the system with all my games registered to it.

I was able to link the system up with my NNID and Club Nintendo and can download all my games and shit.

How do I take the stuff off the dead XL's SD card and just put it on the new one?

ZOONAMI

So I just got my second n3ds xl. The first one I returned to toys r us because the 3d was wonky and the screen had way too much wobble. This one is from Walmart, and it is perfect. Absolutely zero screen wobble or movement from side to side. Nice and tight ...

BizzyBum

The 3D head tracking is awesome, wish it had this feature from they very start. Playing in 3D is actually enjoyable now.

My only two issues so far are wishing the second analog moved a bit more instead of being a nub and the 4 face buttons not being colored like the regular N3DS.

taco543

Is anyone as hopeful as I now that the new 3ds has newer hardware and a faster processor that we'll finally get snes virtual console games such as oh I don't know SUPER MARIO RPG?!?!?!

Went to replace my dead pixeld unit, only to have the replacement unit they offered me have a grindy as shit circle pad. Gotta wait a week and try again on a new shipment =(

dedhead54

What am I looking at?

There appears to be two indentations in the touch screen on the middle right side of the top screen (relative to picture rotation).

Correct. Those two indentions were the first thing I noticed when I opened the system for the first time. I mean, you definitely cannot notice them when the touch screen is illuminated. But when the screen is black it is quite noticeable and for $200 is quite unacceptable IMO.

Bog

Junior Ace
Asked this in the MH4U thread, as well, as it's the only game I've played on it. But is anyone having trouble moving the camera down with the c-stick? I can hit left, right and up just fine, but down sometimes requires a fingernail.... Which I'd rather not get in the habit of doing.

Boogdud

Called Nintendo today and they said they would link/merge my N3DS NintendoID with my prior OG 3DS that I sold last year (^______^)

I tried to call them and missed their hours by 5 minutes. I'm really hoping they can lift the 7 day time limit for transfers.

I have the 2nd n3ds waiting but I can't because of the lockout period, and I can't return the defective one because I can't get my data off of it. I also can't restore the data back to my old 3dsxl because of this antiquated and draconian 'one time only' move process.

This has really been without exaggeration, the worst customer experience I've had with a game system in 35 years and I had 3 red ringed 360s. At least with that I could just get a new one and pull the hard drive, or just log in and download my software. In this instance it's not even the hardware that I'm upset with, dead/stuck pixels happen, it's understandable. What isn't understandable is their customer punishing framework.

D-Man

I just got my red New 3DS XL in the mail today (ordered it from Walmart's website) and did a local transfer between that and my OG 3DS. I was almost done, it was on the last step, all it had to do was transfer my eShop data and I would be ready to go.

An error occurred on my OG 3DS. It took hours to get that far. I had to turn off the New 3DS and restart it. It received nothing from my OG 3DS and I had to restart the transfer process from the very beginning.

This really sucks. :/

wiibomb

has anyone with the Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate new 3DS (the one with the preinstalled game) have contacted Nintendo about the 3DS theme? I have it and I think the theme is not there, so I was thinking I might contact Nintendo and try to get a download code for the theme.

has anyone had any luck with that?

has anyone with the Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate new 3DS (the one with the preinstalled game) have contacted Nintendo about the 3DS theme? I have it and I think the theme is not there, so I was thinking I might contact Nintendo and try to get a download code for the theme.

I believe the MH4U n3DS was intended to not have the theme, unfortunately. :/

wiibomb

I believe the MH4U n3DS was intended to not have the theme, unfortunately. :/

the thing is that I cannot just buy the game to get the theme, and the theme is not even on the theme shop, so that's my only option (and it's ironic that is not included since it matches perfectly this Seregios n3DS design)

xtradi

Banned

Emailed Nintendo two days ago and still no reply.

WorldStar

Banned
people are having trouble finding this still?

i called 3 local gamestops today and all 3 had both black and red in stock

one had the monster hunter gamestop exclusive but it was open box so i passed (supposedly guy bought it then returned it once he realized the game comes installed on the n3ds)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
currently replaying 3D Land with 3D at full blast and woah, it's truly awesome looking

the fact game is still incredible does help, I guess

wiibomb

people are having trouble finding this still?

i called 3 local gamestops today and all 3 had both black and red in stock

one had the monster hunter gamestop exclusive but it was open box so i passed (supposedly guy bought it then returned it once he realized the game comes installed on the n3ds)

well, it isn't very different from the "new" ones since nothing comes sealed, if you get that, it's pretty much like getting any other with the difference that it has a lot more value than a normal n3DS

Emailed Nintendo two days ago and still no reply.

what a shame, I need to know... I guess I should send an email tomorrow about it

WorldStar

Banned
well, it isn't very different from the "new" ones since nothing comes sealed, if you get that, it's pretty much like getting any other with the difference that it has a lot more value than a normal n3DS

im a cynic and automatically assume it had a dead pixel or some shit which is why he returned it

wiibomb

im a cynic and automatically assume it had a dead pixel or some shit which is why he returned it

can't you check it then? and return it if you find anything wrong, I mean, you have a lot more to gain and nothing to lose, this system special design is beautiful

Hero

I cant see the issue

Old 3DS XL died, SD card has lots of games and save data.

Nintendo Support unlinked the dead 3DS XL and tied my other 3DS XL to my NNID.

Not sure how to get the data (games/saves/etc) from the dead XL's SD card to the other XL's SD card.

bsdf

Banned
Asked this in the MH4U thread, as well, as it's the only game I've played on it. But is anyone having trouble moving the camera down with the c-stick? I can hit left, right and up just fine, but down sometimes requires a fingernail.... Which I'd rather not get in the habit of doing.

yeah i'm having the same issue, seems to be exacerbated when my hands get a little sweaty so the nub doesn't have as much friction to grip

HF2014

Hey wondering. If i buy a New 3DS, can i link my eshop account it and still use it on our other regular 3ds xl? I mean, will i be to download games i got on my first 3dsxl?

Zing

Banned
Correct. Those two indentions were the first thing I noticed when I opened the system for the first time. I mean, you definitely cannot notice them when the touch screen is illuminated. But when the screen is black it is quite noticeable and for $200 is quite unacceptable IMO.
It's a mostly plastic, mass produced, nearly disposable electronic device made in factories where keeping costs low is the primary objective. A benign indentation isnt the end of the world.

That said, if you feel it's worth your time and gas to drive to attempt an exchange, any reputable store will do it. If the unit is otherwise working fine, I wouldn't chance getting a serious problem.

Lumyst

Heh, that describes exactly what I've had to do with the nub :p I've determined that it's just moisture on the hands that's causing the thumb to lose its grip on the nub. If they keep the nub on future hardware, I'd like it if they do what ThinkPads do and offer multiple nub caps with different designs/textures.

Called Nintendo today and they said they would link/merge my N3DS NintendoID with my prior OG 3DS that I sold last year (^______^)

You know, it's kind of weird to unlink from a 3DS that you sold a year ago. Who knows? Maybe some father got it for his kid, and that kid has been buying more and more games for it with the NNID on it. Now that it's being removed, that child is gonna lose access to all of his games. Kinda sad ain't it?

//ARCANUM

You know, it's kind of weird to unlink from a 3DS that you sold a year ago. Who knows? Maybe some father got it for his kid, and that kid has been buying more and more games for it with the NNID on it. Now that it's being removed, that child is gonna lose access to all of his games. Kinda sad ain't it?

Can that even happen without knowing the NNID password?

Not sure how to get the data (games/saves/etc) from the dead XL's SD card to the other XL's SD card.

You can't. The SD card is encrypted to that 3DS, the new one won't read anything from it. What Nintendo did enables you to redownload all your digital content but save files and everything else from your old 3DS is lost. Sorry :(

Hero

You can't. The SD card is encrypted to that 3DS, the new one won't read anything from it. What Nintendo did enables you to redownload all your digital content but save files and everything else from your old 3DS is lost. Sorry :(

What in the actual fuck? They assured me that it would still be okay.

wait, nintendo customer support told me yesterday that after my nnid was delinked from my broke 3ds and link it up to my new 3ds xl that i'd be able to just insert my 16gb micro sd i had in the old model without losing any data?

wait, nintendo customer support told me yesterday that after my nnid was delinked from my broke 3ds and link it up to my new 3ds xl that i'd be able to just insert my 16gb micro sd i had in the old model without losing any data?

What in the actual fuck? They assured me that it would still be okay.

That's weird. I don't know why they would tell you that. The data on the SD card is encrypted and only a system transfer can make it readable to another 3DS.

I guess you could try it, in theory you'd only need to copy the contents of the original SD card to the other one using a computer (or if it's the same model, just insert it). I'm pretty sure it won't work, though :(

Vena

That's weird. I don't know why they would tell you that. The data on the SD card is encrypted and only a system transfer can make it readable to another 3DS.

I guess you could try it, in theory you'd only need to copy the contents of the original SD card to the other one using a computer (or if it's the same model, just insert it). I'm pretty sure it won't work, though :(

What? The data is linked to the licenses which is linked to a console, if he had his NNID/Licenses re-linked to a new system, then he can just move the SD card physically from one unit to another.

taco543

go here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Qe_sEUuQEehuceduWfnMUnPeGFcbKw0MINsSHg6XNRQ/viewform

graciously provided by the op and choose yes but I dont own that device anymore and itll tell you what to do

Edit: yeah just reread sorry no saves or anything dude thanks mapachealocado for posting it

What? The data is linked to the licenses which is linked to a console, if he had his NNID/Licenses re-linked to a new system, then he can just move the SD card physically from one unit to another.

It doesn't work like that. Relinking a NNID will let them redownload everything but save files (or even the downloaded games for which they now have the proper license) won't be readable. They would've needed to do a system transfer for that to happen. Physical carts will work, of course, since most of them save to the cart.

Not saying I can't be wrong but that's been the case up until now. I usually scour threads with issues like these to stay informed and personally I've had to relink my NNID twice (one 3DS, one Wii U).

edit: OP's guide from previous post says the same thing.

Vena

It doesn't work like that. Relinking a NNID will let them redownload everything but save files (or even the downloaded games for which they now have the proper license) won't be readable. They would've needed to do a system transfer for that to happen. Physical carts will work, of course, since most of them save to the cart.

Not saying I can't be wrong but that's been the case up until now. I usually scour threads with issues like these to stay informed and personally I've had to relink my NNID twice (one 3DS, one Wii U).

edit: OP's guide from previous post says the same thing.

I am telling you something I have physically done myself, twice. Once with XL swapping after a Nintendo phone call, and now with the NXL where all I did was move licenses and then physically move my card and all of the saves/digital games to the new model as I was already using a mSD.

Top Bottom