• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Augustiner

Neo Member
Does anyone have any experience getting a Limited Edition unit with dead pixels repaired by Nintendo? Will they repair the unit, or send you a replacement instead?

Velcro Fly

Dead/stuck pixels really a huge problem with these?

I had one on my old phat DS and most of the time I couldn't even tell it was there.

mf luder

Nope, just random ebay sellers shipping from outside the UK. Been trying to get one for myself.

There are some on amazon from germany I think www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TIKN...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294
and www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TLHB...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455333147&pf_rd_i=468294

I don't know if they're definitely for the new 3DS, it says for nintendo new 3DS and they only went on to amazon on feb 14th so they might be. Don't know how good or not they are.

So which is better? He normal or the XL version?
There is no clear winner.
XL has bigger screen size and feels less heavy due to more space covered.
Regular has face plates and perfect enough size for it to fit your pocket when you are on the go.
Try them both out I would say. XL tends to be in most stores.

brau

I am about to go see if i can find a new 3ds. picking up MH4... since its forcing my hand.

I am thinking of getting my first pokemon game... haha

So 3DS Gaf.. recommend me some games.

I might also pick the xenoblade game.

Lgndryhr

Does anyone have pictures of the red new 3DS XL other than promotional material? My local Best Buy has just one New 3DS XL and it's red. I usually get the black or neutral color handhelds and consoles.

Boogdud

Has anyone tried to do a system transfer within the 7 day block? Does it fail immediately? My black N3DS XL came in and I want to return my red one, but I transferred to the red one last night.

It doesn't even let you start the transfer, it just gives a message stating "this system cannot perform a system transfer for another 7 days". I'm in a similar situation (transferred my stuff to a defective unit that I need to return after buying a 2nd to replace it). I'm going to call their support and hopefully they can lift the 7 day limit.

Joey Ravn

Banned
So, those of you who have the choice (sorry, AmericaGAF!), what are you guys picking up? The regular or the XL model?

I have a 3DS XL and I was thinking about picking up a N3DS in a few days. I really like the big screens, but damn, that glossy finish is kind of a deal breaker for me. The black N3DS looks sexy, especially with some of those faceplates. Plus, it's cheaper!

Anyone has experience with both models?

Aren't the screen sizes the same for old and new XL? Why not just get an XL screen protector? It's what I did. Cases would be different since stuff got moved around.

Please give me a hand here guys.
I bought my N3DS today and i want to upgrade the MicroSD.
Please let me know if (any of) these two will work.
Thanks in advance.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDHC-Memory-Adapter-SDSDQUAN-016G-G4A/dp/B00M55C0LK/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDHC-Memory-Adapter-SDSDQUAN-032G-G4A/dp/B00M55C0NS/

both will work just fine I use the latter, 32GB sandisk microSD in mine. I'd recommend 32GB since its just a few pounds/$ more and the extra room is nice if you buy more digital games. I have ~10 games and around 12gb used. 4-32GB cards are total plug and play, just pop in the new card and you are done. Above 32GB requires you to reformat the card to FAT32 on a PC.

With the latest system software you can also backup save games to the microSD card which is nice.

Keep in mind the new 3DS requires you to unscrew the backplate to install a new microSD card, its a bit of a pain in the ass. Nothing insanely hard, but people have scratched up the case or stripped the screws easily. You just want to loosen the two screws (they do NOT come out) and gently pry the backplate off from the sides.

So, those of you who have the choice (sorry, AmericaGAF!), what are you guys picking up? The regular or the XL model?

I have a 3DS XL and I was thinking about picking up a N3DS in a few days. I really like the big screens, but damn, that glossy finish is kind of a deal breaker for me. The black N3DS looks sexy, especially with some of those faceplates. Plus, it's cheaper!

I had both, and while I liked the finish better on the normal 3DS, the XL is much more comfortable to play for me. I'd say I have normal to big size hands. If you have small hands, the normal version may be as comfortable as the XL.

I have the blue version, but I don't like the glossy finish at all and it gets kind of slippery after playing for a long time. I hope they'll releas a matte LE later this year.

Tendo

what was wrong with it?

Took it out of the box. Charged it. Pressed power. It turns blue - loud pop - turns off. Every single time.

When I called Nintendo I didn't even finish describing the problem and the operator told me it was busted and needed repaired.

brau

Took it out of the box. Charged it. Pressed power. It turns blue - loud pop - turns off. Every single time.

When I called Nintendo I didn't even finish describing the problem and the operator told me it was busted and needed repaired.

eek... that sucks and waste of time too. you couldn't just return it and get another one from where you picked it up?

DagsJT

I went from an OG XL to a n3DS and used it for 4 days before ordering a n3DS XL. I just couldn't get used to the smaller screens, especially for Monster Hunter.

My new XL arrived today and I feel much happier with the screen size again.

Lernaean

Banned
both will work just fine I use the latter, 32GB sandisk microSD in mine. I'd recommend 32GB since its just a few pounds/$ more and the extra room is nice if you buy more digital games. I have ~10 games and around 12gb used. 4-32GB cards are total plug and play, just pop in the new card and you are done. Above 32GB requires you to reformat the card to FAT32 on a PC.

With the latest system software you can also backup save games to the microSD card which is nice.

Keep in mind the new 3DS requires you to unscrew the backplate to install a new microSD card, its a bit of a pain in the ass. Nothing insanely hard, but people have scratched up the case or stripped the screws easily. You just want to loosen the two screws (they do NOT come out) and gently pry the backplate off from the sides.

Thanks for your answer, i ordered the 32GB one.
And thanks for the advice, will keep that in mind and i'll buy the screwdriver tomorrow.

Picked mine up at lunch at a Gamestop in Dallas. If you guys are having trouble finding one, just call Gamestop around noon when UPS makes it deliveries.

I didn't pre-order one because I was pissed about the fact that we only get the XL. Now that I have it, I still want the regular N3DS. Oh well. I need to pick up a new micro SD so I can get OoT thru the eshop, since I can't find the damned thing anywhere. I want to play that before I play Majora's Mask, I've never played either.

With all the trouble ppl are having with the system I'm almost glad I lost my 3DSXL last year so I have nothing to transfer...

So after playing less than 2 hours of Smash 3DS on my New 3DS XL, the circle pad has creaked and stuck slightly once or twice. I'm probably just being paranoid since my old XL's circle pad broke during Smash, but I'm hoping this isn't a sign of anything.

I played like 60 hours of Kid Icarus Uprising on my OG 3DS and that didn't affect the circle pad on that at all, and I feel like that game is as strenuous or moreso on a circle pad than Smash is.

My experience with new XL was limited, but I love the regular model.
Imported it 2 weeks ago and have not had any issues. Perfect screen size and such and now thanks to GAF my 3D issue was also for the most part fixed.
My history is OG 3DS, OG XL, and n3DS.

ClearData

Went on a bit of a 3DS shopping spree yesterday. I got Monster Hunter 4 and Persona Q. Once those are done is on to Bravely Default and Fire Emblem Awakening. I'm in RPG heaven.

Is the stand you get with the retail version for Kid Icarus recommended? I have €5 in eshop credit, and I could get Uprising for €30 on the e-shop, which is the cheapest option right now. Physical version is usually €45 and up in stores/ebay.
If you live in Germany you can actually order the stand w some AR cards for €5:
http://nos.nintendo-europe.com/?locale=de_DE
p.s. Americans can get something similar

I have a digital copy and don't use the stand. The stand might be good if you play at a table if you're using armrests or the table to rest your arms. I personally use a pillow.

Does anyone have any experience getting a Limited Edition unit with dead pixels repaired by Nintendo? Will they repair the unit, or send you a replacement instead?
I remember hearing of someone who sent in a Fire Emblem console and didn't get a Fire Emblem console back :(

So did anyone hear a click while using their Circle Pad normally? I heard it twice in only a few minutes, but after that I heard no more clicking from it and the Circle Pad remains fine for the rest of my gaming session. Nothing alarming, but would like to know if others had this experience.
Rotating the Circle Pad a bit more, I get that clicking noise on rare occasions and once in quite a while it locks into place, but with small force it is easy to get out of it. It's like moving the Circle Pad is unloosening something inside and then locks itself back in.

Odd, but I don't think that is worth the trouble of sending to Nintendo to check for a repair.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
GameStop just got them in stock in my area. I picked up a red one, even though I wanted the black one (and they had it in stock). Time to tackle a system transfer. I have a lot of games, so I'm scared.

Pachimari

Does anyone's hinge on the new 3ds slide ever so slightly when you push it to the side?
Yes.

So did anyone hear a click while using their Circle Pad normally? I heard it twice in only a few minutes, but after that I heard no more clicking from it and the Circle Pad remains fine for the rest of my gaming session. Nothing alarming, but would like to know if others had this experience.

Happening to mine as well.

Boogdud

GameStop just got them in stock in my area. I picked up a red one, even though I wanted the black one (and they had it in stock). Time to tackle a system transfer. I have a lot of games, so I'm scared.

Honestly, if you have an SD card adapter and a micro, with access to a pc/laptop that can read sd cards the process is relatively quick and easy.

The only real issue is if there's a problem during the process (not likely), or, like me, you find a defect on the new system after you finish the transfer. >.<

Producer

Finally was able to grab one after searching all week.

Is it normal that the package where the instructions and AR cards isnt sealed, like with tape or anything?

Dont really trust these gamestop folk..

IronRinn

Still torn on whether or not to try and have Nintendo fix this/replace it. It distracts me, although it isn't visible when in-use. But a $200 piece of hardware should not have defects like this. Surely its not normal.

Got a red one from Target and there's a small indentation like this near the bottom of the screen. Kind of have to angle it into direct light to see it. Probably not worth sending it to fix. Hopefully I'll forget it's there.

DagsJT

I registered my n3DS on Monday night and I'm aware of the 7-day transfer limitation. But I just went to the transfer screen anyway and it's saying I can't transfer for another FOUR days? How does that work then? Surely this is the fourth day since I transferred so I should be able to transfer in three days?

Ridiculous rule from Nintendo.

breakfuss

Yeah, so stores in my area finally restocked yesterday. Crazy how I went from not being able to find ONE to having several options. It wouldn't have been such a big deal had I not committed to selling my OG XL to another GAFfer. Obviously needed to transfer my account and couldn't do it. Probably have to partially refund him for the delay. What a freaking nightmare.

Speaking of which...why is the transfer process so convoluted? I imagine this is what disarming a bomb feels like. Is it an anti-piracy measure? They seriously need to get their shit together in this regard. It doesn't make sense. I also forgot it didn't include a charger, lol, so as I'm doing the transfer (opted for wireless) I had to switch between charging up the new and old one.

That said, I love what little time I've spent with it. The 3D eye-tracking just...works. I look away and back...it adjusts. I bob my head, change the viewing angle of the screen...it still adjusts. Works in the dark. Works in light. Should i not be as impressed as I am? Amazing. It's breathed new life into a feature I only sparingly used before.

Haven't had a chance to really put the c-stick to use. Briefly tried it with Kid Icarus and won't be attempting that again lol. I imagine it has about the same usefulness in Kingdom Hearts 3D. I plan on picking up Majora's Mask this evening so hopefully then I'll see some benefit.

Kiryu

I'm loving my Majora Mask n3DS but... I still liked my LTBW "Gold" 3DS cover because it doesn't actually show any smudges. I highly prefer have that gold color on my Majora Mask n3DS but I'm not fond of glossy cover that attracts dirty or smudges. What do you guys think? :(

I'm jelly of Japanese for this.
xenoblade-new-3ds-cover-plate.png

Jeremy

Link Between Worlds and Bravely Default coming in today from Gamefly! Very excited as I've only been able to play Omega Ruby so far (not that that's a bad thing at all).

Pachimari

I just wanna get those games which are to become rare. Like Ocarina of Time 3D and Fire Emblem: Awakening. But of course I also need to rebuy my beloved Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

Top Bottom