• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Finally got my fourth n3ds, a black one. First monster hunter one had dead pixels all over, 2nd monster hunter one had a busted circle pad, third red one had a dead pixel dead center in the middle of the screen, and now the black one I have seems completely fine, cept maybe, just maybe the nub is slightly harder to press down than the other three directions, but fine. Whatever it's fine. I finally have a working one. God.

Need this to exist then nintendo can have my money
yut46Fk.jpg

Got mine yesterday, transfer took about 20 minutes, not counting copying from one card to the other (which I could have done before the transfer but I forgot) .

Everything is fast now, and the browser is finally useful. Also, 3D videos in YT!!

Jinjo

I went from an OG XL to a n3DS and used it for 4 days before ordering a n3DS XL. I just couldn't get used to the smaller screens, especially for Monster Hunter.

My new XL arrived today and I feel much happier with the screen size again.

Damn, was just gonna ask if the downsize was noticable. Any other people that went from regular XL to a non-XL New 3DS? Thinking about going that move, but unsure about the screen size. How much smaller is it exactly? (Pref in cm's lol)

ghibli99

Finally got my fourth n3ds, a black one. First monster hunter one had dead pixels all over, 2nd monster hunter one had a busted circle pad, third red one had a dead pixel dead center in the middle of the screen, and now the black one I have seems completely fine, cept maybe, just maybe the nub is slightly harder to press down than the other three directions, but fine. Whatever it's fine. I finally have a working one. God.
Sheesh. :( Hopefully the black one I have incoming doesn't have any problems.

My initial impressions:

+ The sleek cool gunmetal look is back. Looks like a device an adult would use, over the fisher price looking XL.

+ Stable 3D+ works great, as intended. Its cool not having to make sure my head and 3DS are perfectly in line anymore.

+ Like the old XL, this new design feels like butter in your hands.

+ The volume seems noticeably louder through the speakers. I haven't tried headphones yet.

+ The snapping of the clam shell is quieter, which is good for bathroom use at work. :p

+ C-Stick works as intended

+ This device is much, much faster. Initial loads are way faster, as is general OS stuff. The screen seems clearer than old XL. Or maybe it's just MH4U looks cleaner on the new 3DS. It just seems like the pixel count is better. The web browser has improved quite a bit as well.

+ I like the volume slider is on top now. I had many instances where my fingers accidentally turned up the volume on the old XL. Also, i like the resistance it gives as well.

- Stylus location isn't good, imo. Also, the stylus itself is awkward, compared to all previous stylus in the DS/3DS families.

- The loss of the wireless connection switch is something I'm not a fan of. It's just easier than going to a menu and selecting/deselecting.

- C-Stick isn't that comfortable. Would have much prefered a second circle pad.

- Ghosting still occurs, just not as much.

? I haven't had the chance to mess around and see how the battery stacks up.

? Not sure if there is still an issue with the tops screens touching.

? Not sure how i feel about the new location of the game carts slot.

if nintendo wanted to sell a shitload of digital games to people who just bought a new system and are using a 2015-sized memory card for the first time they would do an eShop sale for all their $31.99 retail SKUs. i'm thinking 33% off OK nintendo?

bigkurz

Banned
Does anyone yet have the Hori DuraFlex clear protector case for the New 3DS XL? I know its not out in the US yet but I was wondering if it came out overseas.

I'm really just wondering if the Charging Dock will work with this thing attached. Any have any idea?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
My initial impressions:

+ The sleek cool gunmetal look is back. Looks like a device an adult would use, over the fisher price looking XL.

+ Stable 3D+ works great, as intended. Its cool not having to make sure my head and 3DS are perfectly in line anymore.

+ Like the old XL, this new design feels like butter in your hands.

+ The volume seems noticeably louder through the speakers. I haven't tried headphones yet.

+ The snapping of the clam shell is quieter, which is good for bathroom use at work. :p

+ C-Stick works as intended

+ This device is much, much faster. Initial loads are way faster, as is general OS stuff. The screen seems clearer than old XL. Or maybe it's just MH4U looks cleaner on the new 3DS. It just seems like the pixel count is better. The web browser has improved quite a bit as well.

+ I like the volume slider is on top now. I had many instances where my fingers accidentally turned up the volume on the old XL. Also, i like the resistance it gives as well.

- Stylus location isn't good, imo. Also, the stylus itself is awkward, compared to all previous stylus in the DS/3DS families.

- The loss of the wireless connection switch is something I'm not a fan of. It's just easier than going to a menu and selecting/deselecting.

- C-Stick isn't that comfortable. Would have much prefered a second circle pad.

- Ghosting still occurs, just not as much.

? I haven't had the chance to mess around and see how the battery stacks up.

? Not sure if there is still an issue with the tops screens touching.

? Not sure how i feel about the new location of the game carts slot.
M EXACT thoughts on the system.

if nintendo wanted to sell a shitload of digital games to people who just bought a new system and are using a 2015-sized memory card for the first time they would do an eShop sale for all their $31.99 retail SKUs. i'm thinking 33% off OK nintendo?

Yeah, I've been thinking about going digital, but it's just so expensive.

TI82

Banned
Guy with the majoras mask 3ds to sell me turned out to be a flake. Meh. Got a red system, ordered a vinyl sticker and will post pics once I get it.

System itself is nice and comfortable. Transfer process took FOREVER. Sucks that they changed memory so I can't use my 16gb SD card, ordered a micro today hopefully it gets here soon so I can download monhun.

Overall this is what the system should have been at launch. Can finally play in 3d!

Boogdud

Well, just got off the phone with support. Their solution, "I would just wait 7 days"... Well thanks for that help. They did offer to transfer my NNID to the new system but said that they were so backed up because of tons of other people with the same problem that it would take a week to get to my request anyway. So, real helpful. Nevermind the fact that I'm out an extra $215 for the second 3ds that is just sitting here because I can't transfer my data to it.

I love that they're so backed up because their own idiotic lockout system and lack of an account based framework. You know, THERE'S A SOLUTION FOR THAT!

Seriously, I think this is my last nintendo hardware unless they move to an account based system.

JFunky

Finally found one at GameStop! Swore I wouldn't buy one but I tried a demo unit at two different stores and was surprised how much better the 3d works! I stopped using it on my old xl a long time ago to much hassle keeping the image clear. Quick question the box isn't sealed. I seem to remember hearing nintendo had started doing that, just want to make sure GameStop didn't sell me an opened one. No seal ok in the US??

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I got an influx of spare cash and I am looking to buy a New 3DS XL, however I stopped by Gamestop and they were sold out. They said the got some Weds. but promptly sold out that day. It's really the only walkable place nearby that sells game stuff. Are there any online retailers with stock, or is it constrained everywhere?

co1onel

Finally found one at GameStop! Swore I wouldn't buy one but I tried a demo unit at two different stores and was surprised how much better the 3d works! I stopped using it on my old xl a long time ago to much hassle keeping the image clear. Quick question the box isn't sealed. I seem to remember hearing nintendo had started doing that, just want to make sure GameStop didn't sell me an opened one. No seal ok in the US??
Mine didn't come with a seal and I got it at launch at best buy.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
What's a good screen protector for n3dsxl that has less bubbles and easy to install?

Hori makes excellent screen protectors.

Since the XL and NewXL are the same size screens you can get either. Super easy to put on, excellent quality, and no bubbles.

well i got my nnid delinked from my broke system and linked to my new 3ds

unfortunately, i did lose my save data, but meh. my games are really fun, so i'm fine with playing through them again

(plus lot of my games were just vc games and shit)

Kadin

Finally was able to grab one after searching all week.

Is it normal that the package where the instructions and AR cards isnt sealed, like with tape or anything?

Dont really trust these gamestop folk..
I just got home with one from Fry's and the actual box itself didn't have any seal needing to be cut which I was really surprised about. It looked completely factory sealed though so I think I'm okay.

Ecto311

Anyone notice a difference going from class 4 to class 10 sd cards? I have both and don't want to try it unless there is a boost in speed or downloads to be gained.

Tirod

I know this is well trodden ground now (I JUST got my MM 3DS from BB today) but I still need to say it:

HOLY SHIT taking off the back plate of the New 3DS was absolutely ridiculous. I can't remember any other time I have felt so frustrated with a device, but this process was an absolute ordeal.

Don't have anything else to contribute, I'm in the middle of a wireless transfer right now. For some reason the card reader I have allowed me to access my new microSD in MiniTool Partition Wizard to format it for 3DS just fine, but when I put in my old 3DS's SD card in an attempt to copy my data to the PC, I couldn't do it.

Anyone notice a difference going from class 4 to class 10 sd cards? I have both and don't want to try it unless there is a boost in speed or downloads to be gained.

Boot up in my old 3DS system was in the order of +20 seconds (to have every single icon in the lower screen, back when I had around 10 games) with a class 4 card. Once I got a class 10 card, it took about 10 seconds. Load times of digital games was also better (+- 5 to 10 seconds, irc).

On the new 3DS it's almost instantaneous, but I have a class 10 card.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Will I have to format my new Sandisk microSDHC before I do the transfer or can I just use it straight out of the box?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Best thing about these new 3DS might be the enhanced contrast. Colors pop, old DS games get a new life, even on an XL :)

Tirod

Will I have to format my new Sandisk microSDHC before I do the transfer or can I just use it straight out of the box?

32GB or lower, you can just slap that sucker in there.

Any higher, and you have to format the card on a PC to be FAT32 to enable usage with 3DS.

Ecto311

Why is this even a question, of course it makes a difference.
Well google shows there are differing opinions on this. Some say games open and load faster and some say they don't. See below for a REAL answer.

Boot up in my old 3DS system was in the order of +20 seconds (to have every single icon in the lower screen, back when I had around 10 games) with a class 4 card. Once I got a class 10 card, it took about 10 seconds. Load times of digital games was also better (+- 5 to 10 seconds, irc).

On the new 3DS it's almost instantaneous, but I have a class 10 card.

Cool Ill give it a shot.

finally got my hands on an XL

removing the back plate is officially the worst thing of all time

Why was it a problem? I used a huge screw driver with a small tip with no problem and just pulled it off letting it pop out of place slowly. It seems pretty sturdy where it shouldn't break unless really ripped off fast.

well i got my nnid delinked from my broke system and linked to my new 3ds

unfortunately, i did lose my save data, but meh. my games are really fun, so i'm fine with playing through them again

(plus lot of my games were just vc games and shit)
UPDATE ON THIS

my files ARE ALL STILL THERE

but i can't access them

what do i do?

SegaFanac

Neo Member
Well......this stinks. Before I started the transfer, I wanted to try out a couple of 3DS games on my n3DSxl just to make sure that everything is working great. As one of my games were loading (black screen) there is not only a large amount of light leakage on all four sides of the touch screen, but also a few dead pixels started to show up.

I love the system, but this is just ridiculous. So off to TRU to return this second n3DSxl. I guess this time I will either wait or try another store. But TRU seems to have an easy no hassle returns (at least my store does anyways).

What say you gaf? Get another one at TRU, try a different store, or wait a little longer?

Kadin

Since I never ever used 3D on my OG XL, I never had much an issue with battery life. Does the level of 3D effect play a difference on battery life? If I have it all the way up versus at the very bottom, will I notice it one way or the other?

enoki

My 3DS came in, with no defects. I'm super stoked that I went with red, the light diagonal stripe pattern looks gorgeous.

Ecto311

TDamVdC.png

Found this on reddit and have yet to try it to see if it is true but the C stick worked fine pushing on the sides for the little bit I used it in the MH4 demo.

Zing

Banned
Since I never ever used 3D on my OG XL, I never had much an issue with battery life. Does the level of 3D effect play a difference on battery life? If I have it all the way up versus at the very bottom, will I notice it one way or the other?
The level of 3D makes no difference. Having it on increases battery usage, yes, but a higher setting doesn't use more power.

Jeremy

Link Between Worlds and Bravely Default did NOT come in from Gamefly, which is helpful in reminded me why I never renew after a promotion.

Boogdud

TDamVdC.png

Found this on reddit and have yet to try it to see if it is true but the C stick worked fine pushing on the sides for the little bit I used it in the MH4 demo.

I guess there are a lot of people in the world that have never used a Thinkpad...

The c-stick is second nature for me.

Top Bottom