• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

lutheran

These things are impossible to find in stores so I went on eBay to bid on one and I was able to buy a black one for 218 bucks, basically what I would have paid in the store which was shocking. Now the bundles were going for a lot of dough but that is a different story..

Looks like I'll be sending mine into nintendo today. Discovered a dead pixel the other night. Tried desperately to ignore it and failed. It's the Monster Hunter model so swapping it in store isn't an option.

Hope this goes smoothly. I can't think of much I can do aside from backing up my microSD before sticking it in the mail.

There's no way to swap sholder buttons huh?

I mean in that, all prior CCPro compatible games had their functions mapped to lz/rz.... which, as you imagine, is not really optimal anymore with a n3DS :(

demonkaze

I seem to be having a bit of a problem with my New 3DS XL (MH4 LE). Everyone now and then, my system will fail to connect to my wifi despite all other devices in my house connecting fine (including my brothers New 3DS XL). When I try to go into an application in order to connect, be it eshop or a game it will just get stuck endlessly trying to connect causing me to have to power down the system.

If I leave it for a while after this, it seems to start allowing me to connect again (last fix I did was recreate my connection, will see how that goes). I'm wondering if theres a defect with my system (none of my other 3DS' have had this problem) or if it could be something else?

lutheran

I sold my old 3DS XL in anticipation of this new system I just bought. I didn't delete my Nintendo ID as I still use it on my Wii U. I also kept the serial number from my old XL. Do I just call Nintendo customer service to tell them my ID and serial number plus my new serial number so I can get access to the games I bought from the eStore on that old 3DS? Is there any other information I will need?

Stubo

Does anyone have Ultimate NES Remix?

I've seen lots of debate about the 3DS version vs the Wii U version, however it's swaying me somewhat because there's no Wii U physical release in Europe.

The gameplay looks like it would be fun, worth £20 GAF?

Producer

Have any of you guys without screen protectors noticed any marks or anything?

i ordered a screen protector but wont arrive till later next week. In the meantime i've been using that little slip that came with the system lol

topplehat

Is it just me, placebo, or do games on the n3DS XL look less pixellated than the regular 3DS XL? As far as screen tone, it is definitely a "colder" display, less warm/yellow.

I sold my old 3DS XL in anticipation of this new system I just bought. I didn't delete my Nintendo ID as I still use it on my Wii U. I also kept the serial number from my old XL. Do I just call Nintendo customer service to tell them my ID and serial number plus my new serial number so I can get access to the games I bought from the eStore on that old 3DS? Is there any other information I will need?
When I called Nintendo about this a few days ago, they needed: my NNID, my email address, the old system's serial number, the new system's serial number, the color of the new system, and they asked me to name some of the games that had been bought digitally on the old system.

For anyone who lives in the US and purchased the New Nintendo 3DS XL Charging Cradle from Amazon UK..any idea as to how it arrives? I ordered it last week and it has already been "Dispatched" but since I got free shipping there is no way for me to track it, it says I should receive it on or before March 25th but I have no idea if its coming regular mail, UPS, fed ex..have no idea since I never ordered from them before

CRA5H

Anyone else have this?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=243f9dcc13340ca973e726c738e5a641en02

It includes the case, screen protectors and usb charging cable + car adapter among other things and the price is very good too. I want to buy it for the n3DSXL.

On a related note, if I have a USB charging cable, can I pair that with a USB power adapter (like the one that comes with your phone) to make a bootleg charger for the 3DS?
I Bought this buy returned immediately after opening it and got the Hori Hard Pouch instead. Let me tell you why.

The build quality from the Collective Minds one is crap. The casing might be hard but the internal components were cheaply made. The two straps that are supposed to hold the unit in place looks like it could snap off after a month's usage. It only holds 3 games but it does have the extra pouch on the opposite cover which is helpful. Also, this is a very bulky case compared to the Hori hard pouch.

Paying the extra $5 for the Collective minds package may be worth it to you if you don't have screen protectors on it already. The extras like the game cases are cool but it just adds more weight to the already bulky case if you are bringing it around. The car adapter seems cool but not sure if I would trust it. I don't need the 3 extra stylus pens and earphones but spending the extra $5 for all the other accessories could be worth it to most people.

The HORI brand hard pouch is everything you can ask for in a case. It holds 6 games, extra stylus holder, built in strap, and most importantly, it has top notch build quality inside and outside. The casing is hard enough to absorb any drop damage and stitching is well done, unlike the Collective Minds.

Overall, because I wanted a case that I know would protect my unit and would last a very long time, I went with the Hori.

If you don't own a bunch of the accessories that come with the CM version and don't mind an inferior quality case, spend the extra $5 and get it over the Hori Hard Pouch.

Also if you're wondering if it would still fit once the clear cases are available, both cases should fit it as theres enough room to seat it.

And regarding the make shift car adapter with the USB cable, I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as the USB adapter has similar voltage outputs compared to the official AC Adapter (4.6V 900mA). I'm no electrician so don't shoot the messenger!

Hope this helps!

Hero

That's weird. I don't know why they would tell you that. The data on the SD card is encrypted and only a system transfer can make it readable to another 3DS.

I guess you could try it, in theory you'd only need to copy the contents of the original SD card to the other one using a computer (or if it's the same model, just insert it). I'm pretty sure it won't work, though :(

go here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Qe_sEUuQEehuceduWfnMUnPeGFcbKw0MINsSHg6XNRQ/viewform

graciously provided by the op and choose yes but I dont own that device anymore and itll tell you what to do

Edit: yeah just reread sorry no saves or anything dude thanks mapachealocado for posting it

Have you tried simply swapping the sd cards?

Tried swapping the SD cards, doesn't work.

So the only way to get my digital Animal Crossing town + Streetpass + Puzzle Swap is to pay Nintendo to repair my dead 3DS XL and transfer?

So I just got my Majora's Mask n3DS XL, and I'm wondering what is the best, most guaranteed no fail way to transfer EVERYTHING from my old 3DS XL to this one? Also, I need an SD card for the New 3DS XL, right? Would you guys kindly recommend me a good one on Amazon?

I'm sure you've had both of these questions a million times at this point, but I just want to be super sure and ask even as I browse through this topic.

So I just got my Majora's Mask n3DS XL, and I'm wondering what is the best, most guaranteed no fail way to transfer EVERYTHING from my old 3DS XL to this one? Also, I need an SD card for the New 3DS XL, right? Would you guys kindly recommend me a good one on Amazon?

I'm sure you've had both of these questions a million times at this point, but I just want to be super sure and ask even as I browse through this topic.

I have this microsd card bought it from amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M55C0LK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I didnt need anything bigger than a 16gb so it was good enough for me but they have bigger versions of it

I live in SoCal and have tried two weeks in a row to find one at walmart (i get a 10% discount) and I can't find one. WTF Walmart. WTF Nintendo.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
Have any of you guys without screen protectors noticed any marks or anything?

i ordered a screen protector but wont arrive till later next week. In the meantime i've been using that little slip that came with the system lol

Ha, I've been doing the same thing.

My old 3DS XL has a terrible mark up the side of the screen, which I assume is because it rubbed against the bottom screen border thing.

I don't think I'll shell out for a protector though, jsut leave it with that little slip

Yuterald

Quick, somewhat complicated question: Say I do the transfer process all the way up until copying my original 3DS data from my computer to a micro SD card, could I still use my new 3DS and copy the data at a later point to the card and insert it then? This is all while retaining everything intact? Reason I'm asking is I have a new, larger micro SD card coming in the mail, but I really want to start playing Majora and MH4 tonight. Since I won't be technically saving down to a memory card (bought the game's physically), shouldn't I be okay?

Chorazin

Does anyone have Ultimate NES Remix?

I've seen lots of debate about the 3DS version vs the Wii U version, however it's swaying me somewhat because there's no Wii U physical release in Europe.

The gameplay looks like it would be fun, worth £20 GAF?

I actually just picked it up for $15 after a coupon, its pretty fun!

I've been spoilt by PC gaming.

I wanna buy one of these but knowing that each game that I want to buy is gonna cost me upwards of £30/$40 is really stopping me from getting one.

Nintendo claims 32 gig support. But I have a 64 gig class 10 sandisk and it works.

Format it fat32 and your good to go.

I really don't do digital download a lot with Nintendo because of their archaic system (not the right thread for that discussion though)

But with the Atlus sales that happen more often than not, and my nostalgia kicking up I went with a 64 gig micro sd card to hold all those eshop/on sale RPG's/classics that are bound to be bought.

Grave

Neo Member
Why was it a problem? I used a huge screw driver with a small tip with no problem and just pulled it off letting it pop out of place slowly. It seems pretty sturdy where it shouldn't break unless really ripped off fast.

I've talked to a few people who've had trouble getting it to reseat properly, and I'm among them. I wish they didn't put those enormous pry points on the side, because the left side stays tight for me but the clips on the right will sometimes loosen up while I'm playing. Oddly enough, loosening the screw on that side seems to have helped Sometimes it stays solid all the way around, but it seems kind of fiddly in general. Has this not been other people's experience at large?

I've talked to a few people who've had trouble getting it to reseat properly, and I'm among them. I wish they didn't put those enormous pry points on the side, because the left side stays tight for me but the clips on the right will sometimes loosen up while I'm playing. Oddly enough, loosening the screw on that side seems to have helped Sometimes it stays solid all the way around, but it seems kind of fiddly in general. Has this not been other people's experience at large?

Trying to change out the memory card was a nightmare for me... Rocket surgery for sure. I loosened the screws and I heard the click but popping off the back end was harder than I thought it should have been.

Overall it was successful but more stressful than it needed to be.

the sdformatter v4.0 says my drive isn't supported

and i downloaded a second formatter called fat32 formatter and it says "failed to determine the drive"

I'm just using the built in card reader

EDIT never mind a third gui format program worked

DontBlink

I need some clarification if anyone had experience with this: will I really lose the pre-installed copy of MH4 if I do a system transfer from my old 3DS? Did anyone try contacting Nintendo to get the game added to their account afterwards? I don't see how it's technically legal to remove me from possessing something I already paid for.

So I don't know about anyone else but after playing about 10 hours of MH4U the unsung heroes for the n3DS are the ZL and ZR buttons.

They are IMMENSELY more comfortable than the regular L and R, especially during MH4U

Grave

Neo Member
I need some clarification if anyone had experience with this: will I really lose the pre-installed copy of MH4 if I do a system transfer from my old 3DS? Did anyone try contacting Nintendo to get the game added to their account afterwards? I don't see how it's technically legal to remove me from possessing something I already paid for.

I took the extra step of copying it from the microSD it came with to the new microSD I'd be using, but it didn't matter, it got deleted during the transfer anyway. You'll be able to redownload it from the eShop once the system transfer is done. The transfer took me like 6 damn hours over wifi and I highly recommend using another method, but once you're all set you'll be able to grab MH4U for free from the shop.
So I don't know about anyone else but after playing about 10 hours of MH4U the unsung hero for the n3DS are the ZL and ZR buttons.

They are IMMENSELY more comfortable than the regular L and R, especially during MH4U
What are you mapping them to? Just regular L/R functions? I've been using them for rotation, relatively pleased with them in that regard as well.

What are you mapping them to? Just regular L/R functions? I've been using them for rotation, relatively pleased with them in that regard as well.

Yep, by default for me they were replacing regular L and R functions.

Running with ZR is much more comfortable than with R

I Bought this buy returned immediately after opening it and got the Hori Hard Pouch instead. Let me tell you why.

The build quality from the Collective Minds one is crap. The casing might be hard but the internal components were cheaply made. The two straps that are supposed to hold the unit in place looks like it could snap off after a month's usage. It only holds 3 games but it does have the extra pouch on the opposite cover which is helpful. Also, this is a very bulky case compared to the Hori hard pouch.

Paying the extra $5 for the Collective minds package may be worth it to you if you don't have screen protectors on it already. The extras like the game cases are cool but it just adds more weight to the already bulky case if you are bringing it around. The car adapter seems cool but not sure if I would trust it. I don't need the 3 extra stylus pens and earphones but spending the extra $5 for all the other accessories could be worth it to most people.

The HORI brand hard pouch is everything you can ask for in a case. It holds 6 games, extra stylus holder, built in strap, and most importantly, it has top notch build quality inside and outside. The casing is hard enough to absorb any drop damage and stitching is well done, unlike the Collective Minds.

Overall, because I wanted a case that I know would protect my unit and would last a very long time, I went with the Hori.

If you don't own a bunch of the accessories that come with the CM version and don't mind an inferior quality case, spend the extra $5 and get it over the Hori Hard Pouch.

Also if you're wondering if it would still fit once the clear cases are available, both cases should fit it as theres enough room to seat it.

And regarding the make shift car adapter with the USB cable, I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as the USB adapter has similar voltage outputs compared to the official AC Adapter (4.6V 900mA). I'm no electrician so don't shoot the messenger!

Hope this helps!

Can you post pics of the new hori case?

Grave

Neo Member
Can you post pics of the new hori case?

With the stylus holder, 6 game capacity and strap it sounds a lot like the Hori Zelda one linked earlier in the thread, which is identical to the Mario and Luigi ones readily available now.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ND0EBP4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They're nice cases, a slight step up from the older Hori 3DS XL hard case that (I think?) was a rebranded DSi XL case, with storage for 3 games.

http://stores.horiusa.com/3ds-xl-hard-pouch-black/

Either one will protect your system from drops just fine, but if you got the Monster Hunter N3DS XL there's really only one choice:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D84DRNC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Which is, uh, apparently obscenely expensive now? Ouch.

xtradi

Banned
With the stylus holder, 6 game capacity and strap it sounds a lot like the Hori Zelda one linked earlier in the thread, which is identical to the Mario and Luigi ones readily available now.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ND0EBP4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They're nice cases, a slight step up from the older Hori 3DS XL hard case that (I think?) was a rebranded DSi XL case, with storage for 3 games.

http://stores.horiusa.com/3ds-xl-hard-pouch-black/

Either one will protect your system from drops just fine, but if you got the Monster Hunter N3DS XL there's really only one choice:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D84DRNC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Which is, uh, apparently obscenely expensive now? Ouch.
Is the Monster Hunter case a hard pouch? I don't need a carrying case i just need a hard case like the hori one, unfortunately the Zelda is sold out. Hopefully they make another one for monster hunter.

Grave

Neo Member
Is the Monster Hunter case a hard pouch? I don't need a carrying case i just need a hard case like the hori one, unfortunately the Zelda is sold out. Hopefully they make another one for monster hunter.

The MH one is more cosmetic than anything else. It's a soft fake leather-y sort of material. The inside is cushiony, but it only holds an additional two games. Would it protect the system from a reasonable drop? Probably, but nothing like the Hori cases.

Here are the readily available Mario ones that ended up replacing the Zelda one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZLBCHK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

DontBlink

I took the extra step of copying it from the microSD it came with to the new microSD I'd be using, but it didn't matter, it got deleted during the transfer anyway. You'll be able to redownload it from the eShop once the system transfer is done. The transfer took me like 6 damn hours over wifi and I highly recommend using another method, but once you're all set you'll be able to grab MH4U for free from the shop.

Good to know, thanks for clearing it up.

CRA5H

Also for people who are getting annoyed by that little creak sound you hear when you press on the back plate, I'm going to assume you've removed the back plate to install a new micro SD card.

The creaking sound was annoying so I looked closer and felt the bottom edge and noticed it was protruding out by like a fraction of a millimeter. I decided to unscrew the back cover to loosen it, pushing the cover up while retightening the screwes to ensure the backplate is flush with the system.

After securing both screws, I no longer am able to press on the backplate and hear the creaking sound like its loose.

So in short, if you hear it creaking, make sure the backplate is flush with the system and make sure you push and hold the cover up while refastening the screws.

Aw doesn't work. Says volume is too big. Using a 64gb micro sd.

EDIT: used a gui fat32format program and it worked.

Nintendo recommends using the official sdformatter

http://en-americas-support.nintendo...20/~/how-to-format-an-sd-card-or-microsd-card

Nintendo recommends using the tool found here to format any SD cards that will be used with a Nintendo product. Nintendo products strictly adhere to the SD card standard.

Instructions on using this tool can be found at the bottom of this page. Please select "FULL (OverWrite)" when formatting the card.

Top Bottom