• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Ecto311

Boot up in my old 3DS system was in the order of +20 seconds (to have every single icon in the lower screen, back when I had around 10 games) with a class 4 card. Once I got a class 10 card, it took about 10 seconds. Load times of digital games was also better (+- 5 to 10 seconds, irc).

On the new 3DS it's almost instantaneous, but I have a class 10 card.

Found this recent guide for the move. I did it before from the 4gb stock card to the old class 4 16gb by just copying it over. This guide says to move and copy over the long string of gibberish folder then delete the old folder once you let the 3ds initialize the new card on its own. I was googling for the best allocation unit size but there is no answer for that really so letting the 3ds do it seemed like the best route.

http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog/2015/01/15/upgrading-your-3ds-sd-card/

Section 1 – Transferring to a new card If you just want to transfer data from one SD card to another, and the new card is 32GB or less, this is the guide for you. Mount your old card on your computer. Create a folder on your computer and copy EVERYTHING from the card to it. While it’s doing that, put your new card in your 3DS and turn the 3DS on. It’ll initialise the card for you. When both these have finished, mount the new card in your computer. Open the folder you made on your computer, and copy everything to the root of the new card. If you’re asked to overwrite folders, or merge folders, say “yes”. When the copying has finished, you’re almost there. Next, on the new card, open the folder called “Nintendo 3DS”. Inside there will be folder with a huge string of letters and numbers for the name – open that. Inside that folder will be two folders with long random names. One of these is the folder tied to your old card, the other is the one tied to your new card. Simply copy the contents (not the folder itself) of the old one (it’ll be the one with the larger filesize) into the other one – merging and overwriting again if necessary. *NOTE! Once you’ve confirmed everything is working, you can delete the old folder to make some space. Put the new card back in your 3DS, reboot it if necessary, and you’re away! - See more at: http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog/2015/01/15/upgrading-your-3ds-sd-card/#sthash.PAFtW4gS.dpuf

Anyone elses volume button hard to turn up and down? :/

Yeah it seems harder to move but I like it - feels like it will stay put and not blast me out of the room because it was in my bag or pocket getting moved.

Kadin

Found this on reddit and have yet to try it to see if it is true but the C stick worked fine pushing on the sides for the little bit I used it in the MH4 demo.
I used to use an older laptop that had this so I instinctively used it the way intended. Never thought people would actually attempt to push from the sides as it's not raised very high. But now I guess I can see how some might assume to do it that way.
The level of 3D makes no difference. Having it on increases battery usage, yes, but a higher setting doesn't use more power.
Thanks, I think I'm going to be using it a lot now. Works so damn well.

ALM5252

I bought a screen protector for my New 3DS XL, but now it seems to ghost badly on max 3D, but is great on lowest.

Should I just take it off and keep the lower screen protector for the touch screen? Or leave it as is.

Anyone else have this problem with a screen protector and the 3D?

dolabla

I think I may have gotten a defective unit. When I turn on the 3d, some of the pixels have this weird glow thing going on. I'm gonna take it back tomorrow.

Vyer

Picked up a red at Gamestop tonight.

The improved 3D is really, really impressive compared to the last time I owned a 3DS.

I can't be the only weirdo who has no screen protector, can I? Never have put them on my handhelds and have never had any issues. Debating biting the bullet from the first time and snagging a Hori one though...

Corgi

Banned
I can't be the only weirdo who has no screen protector, can I? Never have put them on my handhelds and have never had any issues. Debating biting the bullet from the first time and snagging a Hori one though...

have them on everything BUT my ds/3ds xl. never found a need for those (orgiinal 3ds had one because the stupid defect top screen touching bottom)

enoki

I've never used them; even the best applied screen protector looks ugly to me.

Found this recent guide for the move. I did it before from the 4gb stock card to the old class 4 16gb by just copying it over. This guide says to move and copy over the long string of gibberish folder then delete the old folder once you let the 3ds initialize the new card on its own. I was googling for the best allocation unit size but there is no answer for that really so letting the 3ds do it seemed like the best route.

http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog/2015/01/15/upgrading-your-3ds-sd-card/

Yeah it seems harder to move but I like it - feels like it will stay put and not blast me out of the room because it was in my bag or pocket getting moved.

Last time I moved from card to card I just copied everything to a blank card and it worked right away. Backup you data anyway.

BokehKing

Banned
Went on the toys r us website, they had some in Stock in their warehouse, ordered it, paid for faster shipping, if it's not at me by then, do they compensate that shipping cost?

Says on or before the 25th

Tirod

Okay, I've had a fair amount of play session tonight to feel comfortable posting impressions.

I have to applaud the inclusion of the new 3D tech with this system revision. It's taken a feature that I have never been able to use (I have jittery hands) and make it have 100% uptime. During my playtime with Majora's Mask and Smash Bros. I never once lost the 3D effect. Perhaps it helps that those games have good 3D in general but it made my play experience much more enjoyable. I'm likely to have 3D on all the time now unless it causes really bad performance hits in certain titles.

Navigating OS elements and the eShop is much more pleasant now. The extra system power is definitely noticeable transitioning from old 3DS models to this one, and I don't know how I lived without it.

I'm not sure if it's due to the processing power, the microSD usage, or some combination of both, but as someone who has quite a few digital downloads of all sorts (retail, indie, VC) my bottom screen populates with content IMMEDIATELY upon boot up. Props to Nintendo for that.

I think the only stinker with the new system I had tonight was with the C-stick. It provides next to no feedback and although I totally understand how to use it, I was struggling with it. It worked well with Smash where I just have to quickly push a single direction but when trying to wrangle with a camera...it just doesn't work for me. I think it's bad. I'm so used to the "legacy" camera in MM that it won't hinder my enjoyment of the game but when I move on to Monster Hunter in the next month or so I'm really not looking forward to it.

All in all, I'm happy with my new toy and think it's worth the upgrade price once again, despite my initial hesitation. The MM system really is gorgeous, I love it.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
When opening up the back on my replacement system, one of the screws straight up fell out. I was able to screw it back in after swapping cards. Think there's any issue with it, or am I good?

CloakBass

Any recommendations on protective cases for the New 3DSXL? Seems like most of the old 3DSXL cases work just fine.

I was thinking about getting this one from Toys R Us:
d3e1fe6565.jpg

Storage compartment flap for 6 games inside is a nice plus. Though I was kinda hoping for a nice Zelda design to go with the Majora's Mask 3DSXL.

jaosobno

I will never use a screen protector on any of my devices, ever. Used it once on my NDS Lite and it looked horrible, even with the most careful application. When I tried to remove it (gently), somehow I managed to get a small air bubble below my actual screen and that left me with a permanent discolored spot in the middle of the screen. Luckily, my unit was replaced under warranty.

After that, I never used that awful thing again. I'd rather be more careful than put a sticky piece of plastic on my screen. There is no perfect way to apply that thing and it always looks off.

Pachimari

Am I the only one who have experience the OS totally freezing for seconds before it resumes? Does it have to do with losing Internet connection maybe?

Also, are there any nice New 3DS cases out there with room for cartridges?

demigod

Am I the only one having issues with the 3D settings? The other 3DS I can have the slider over half to full but on the n3ds i can't even go halfway before i see double image. This hurts my eye so I just leave it off.

My new 3DS just came in the mail.
Can I do the transfer from my old 3DS to the new one with a 4GB-card and then copy the content of the 4GB-card on a 32GB-card I ordered (but which is not is already here)?

Need this to exist then nintendo can have my money
yut46Fk.jpg

I asked in the other thread already and got no reply, what is this? Is it just a mock-up or did someone make a custom 3DS housing? o.o

https://www.decalgirl.com/
You can apparently submit your own art for decals.

Sadly they don't accept any copyrighted images, rightfully so but sadly that means no Xenoblade or anything else :(

TDamVdC.png

Found this on reddit and have yet to try it to see if it is true but the C stick worked fine pushing on the sides for the little bit I used it in the MH4 demo.

This... this explains everything! :eek: Will try that later in the Monster Hunter 4 demo, thanks for posting! :)

bigkurz

Banned
Any recommendations on protective cases for the New 3DSXL? Seems like most of the old 3DSXL cases work just fine.

I was thinking about getting this one from Toys R Us:
d3e1fe6565.jpg

Storage compartment flap for 6 games inside is a nice plus. Though I was kinda hoping for a nice Zelda design to go with the Majora's Mask 3DSXL.

There's this one. But it's older and hard to find. Amazon has it at this link but it's really expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ND0EBP4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Someone said DecalGirl doesn't use copyrighted material?

What about the Disney stuff on there?

https://www.decalgirl.com/skins/256199/Nintendo-New-3DS-XL-Skin-Lion-King

I'm only asking because I want to badly slap a Majora's Mask Purple Mask Decal on mine.

Or a Punchout Little Mac decal.

Well I haven't used them yet but in their F.A.Q. they have this: https://www.decalgirl.com/info/index.htm

Due to copyright law, we cannot reproduce designs, logos, or characters without direct permission from the license holder.

If the character or logo you would like to use is copyrighted, unfortunately, we cannot create your custom skin.

So I don't know :/

My new 3DS just came in the mail.
Can I do the transfer from my old 3DS to the new one with a 4GB-card and then copy the content of the 4GB-card on a 32GB-card I ordered (but which is not is already here)?

Yes, you can do that. Just copy all the stuff from the new 4GB card to the 32GB card, using a PC, once you got it.

Ein Bear

Just bought a new 3DS, I had the XL previously but went for the smaller model this time... Those SNES buttons and faceplates were just too damn tempting.

Are there any nice cases you can buy in the UK? The guy at GAME chucked in a free Majora's Mask case, but it's a bulky, tacky, monstrosity. Are there any slick leather ones or something?

heckfu

Banned
Hey gang,

Any word on when retailers are going to get more systems? The game stop bundle seems like...a bad investment. Already have smash and majoras so I'm not sure the best avenue to go down.

Edit: in USA.

Hey gang,

Any word on when retailers are going to get more systems? The game stop bundle seems like...a bad investment. Already have smash and majoras so I'm not sure the best avenue to go down.

Edit: in USA.

Just bought a black online from ToysRUs.

My question is whether I have to do anything with the 4gb card the system comes with, or can I just insert my 32 gb card and start the transfer from my old XL?

Pachimari

Right now, I can't find the following here in Europe:

• Case with room for N3DS and games (to bring it around)
  • Screen protectors for regular sized N3DS

Debs

I've never used a screen protector on anything, I always look after them really well and I've never had a scratch or mark on the screens.

kirby2096

Pachimari

I would love to use the same case as I used for the OG 3DS but they aren't the same in size right?
I'm trying to find the dimensions of both the OG 3DS and the N3DS.

Is this picture accurate?

JcockNv.jpg

kirby2096

I would love to use the same case as I used for the OG 3DS but they aren't the same in size right?
I'm trying to find the dimensions of both the OG 3DS and the N3DS.

Is this picture accurate?

JcockNv.jpg

The N3DS just about fits, the velcro fastener is just a few mm off being centred, but the case fits snuggly without having to force it in.

I guess something to wary with the case is that the shoulder buttons are going to be held down because the case is tight and either the L or R button is exposed.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Are there any recommended New 3DS XL Grips? I had one for my regular XL and with the change in design, it doesn't work anymore.

Top Bottom