• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Rootbeer

Banned
Any recommendations on 64 gig SD cards?

I can recommend the samsung evo microsd cards. using 64 gig version and it's been excellent.

those and the sandisk ultra run very neck and neck on price, both seem to be highly recommended

don't waste money buying anything that is rated as faster than either of those. you won't be able to experience the difference on the New 3DS hardware.

Well when I used that third part gui thing it worked fine and read my card and could play MH4. When I used the official one recommended by nintendo it froze my new 3ds when trying to read it.

EDIT: nvm when I opened the back the micro sd wasn't pushed in all the way.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I can recommend the samsung evo microsd cards. using 64 gig version and it's been excellent.

those and the sandisk ultra run very neck and neck on price, both seem to be highly recommended

don't waste money buying anything that is rated as faster than either of those. you won't be able to experience the difference on the New 3DS hardware.
Yeah I bought a Samsung Evo. I've had no problems with it and it was a good price.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
My Waterfield 3DSXL case is a liiiittle too snug for my N3DSXL. I may have to bite the bullet on their case for the latter.

catabarez

How can I set it up so it properly works with the 3DS?

CloakBass

There's this one. But it's older and hard to find. Amazon has it at this link but it's really expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ND0EBP4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks I've never seen that one - I'll definitely consider it as well. Looks like you can pre-order it from Amazon for $17. The blue-green color is a little odd, but I like the little triforce zippers (and you can pretend you have all three with the one on the design).

Edit: Picture on Hori's site looks like it has a more pleasant color to it. I'm thinking the Amazon photo is just bad photography.
ff2c20c297.jpg

With Nintendo shipping more MM 3DS systems in March (in Europe at least), looks like the Monster Hunter LE is the one more rare actually.

Haven't heard anything about a new shipment of those.

Stubo

Thanks I've never seen that one - I'll definitely consider it as well. Looks like you can pre-order it from Amazon for $17. The blue-green color is a little odd, but I like the little triforce zippers (and you can pretend you have all three with the one on the design).

Edit: Picture on Hori's site looks like it has a more pleasant color to it. I'm thinking the Amazon photo is just bad photography.
ff2c20c297.jpg
Looks like this same case was posted in the pickup thread, maybe this will help you decide if you like the colours: pics

darthvargi

I know this isn't the thread that I saw it on but I want to thank whomever put that picture of how to use the c stick. I had no issue with horizontal movement but I felt like the vertical movement was poor. Now that I understand how it works, it's not so bad. I still wish it was a slide pad though.

So I just played some Super Street Fighter 4 on my N3DS XL. IIRC the game is supposed to be 60 fps in 2D and 30 fps in 3D. My eyes may be deceiving me, but I think it was 60 in both. That being said, I'm pretty tired and the 3D effect may just be throwing me off.

Can someone confirm or deny this?

Thoraxes

So I just played some Super Street Fighter 4 on my N3DS XL. IIRC the game is supposed to be 60 fps in 2D and 30 fps in 3D. My eyes may be deceiving me, but I think it was 60 in both. That being said, I'm pretty tired and the 3D effect may just be throwing me off.

Eh, i'll try it later on my n3dsxl.

gogogow

Just tried. It's 30fps in 3D. I can understand the confusion. But play in 3D first, then switch to 2D 60fps and switch back to 3D 30fps and you'll see the difference in framerate more easily.

Ein Bear

Really am glad that I went with the standard sized model. I really wanted the cover plates and SNES buttons, but thought it might feel like a downgrade coming from the 3DS XL. Turns out to be the complete opposite though, I'm loving how much sharper games look on the smaller screen, and it's far more comfortable to hold.

derExperte

Can I have a talk with the dude who decided that the new stylus should not only be tiny (nonXL here) but also have these sharp edges on the end where you grab it? So uncomfortable.

Really am glad that I went with the standard sized model. I really wanted the cover plates and SNES buttons, but thought it might feel like a downgrade coming from the 3DS XL. Turns out to be the complete opposite though, I'm loving how much sharper games look on the smaller screen, and it's far more comfortable to hold.

Other than the puny stylus (and it's unfortunate placement on the bottom, though that's the same on the newXL) so far I don't regret going from big to small(er) either. As you said the sharpness is a plus, so is the lower weight imo. Unfortunately the improved 3D isn't 100% reliable for me, sometimes doesn't register small movements and jumps around a bit or takes too long to recalibrate after shortly looking away. Could be the lighting in my room. Or it doesn't like my face. Or I should try recalibrating.

Lizardus

Ordered the Hori case and refurbished charger off of Nintendo Store.

What's my best bet to get a TPU case for n3DS XL? I am in Canada.

Pachimari

Finally ordered the official cradle for my regular sized N3DS. Now I just need to find a case so I can bring it around, and a larger memory card.

I'm thinking I can do with 32gb. Because I don't buy my games digitally.

+1 to This is what the 3DS system should have been at launch.

The original 3DS feels like an unfinished product compared to this.

The new 3DS certainly still isn't the zippiest console/device in the world, but all the loading times are now reasonable, everything is reasonably responsive feeling, there's a sensible amount of multitasking... The 3D actually works well.

I like everything about my new XL especially the face tracking 3D....however the stylus placement is terrible and the power button placement is a true blunder.

Yuterald

Quick, somewhat complicated question: Say I do the transfer process all the way up until copying my original 3DS data from my computer to a micro SD card, could I still use my new 3DS and copy the data at a later point to the card and insert it then? This is all while retaining everything intact? Reason I'm asking is I have a new, larger micro SD card coming in the mail, but I really want to start playing Majora and MH4 tonight. Since I won't be technically saving down to a memory card (bought the game's physically), shouldn't I be okay?

Asking again.

Ugh, so I can't do more than look at my n3DS for the time being as I'm waiting for the HORI screen protectors to ship from Amazon after they come back in stock. Anybody have any idea when that might be or an alternative place to buy them?

Also, I'm still looking for advice on how to transfer everything from my old 3DS XL to my New 3DS XL. What is the best and most efficient way to do it so that it guarantees I don't lose anything? Got a complete Pokedex on Pokemon X and Omega Ruby that I don't want to lose.

ViDnEz

Ugh, so I can't do more than look at my n3DS for the time being as I'm waiting for the HORI screen protectors to ship from Amazon after they come back in stock. Anybody have any idea when that might be or an alternative place to buy them?

Also, I'm still looking for advice on how to transfer everything from my old 3DS XL to my New 3DS XL. What is the best and most efficient way to do it so that it guarantees I don't lose anything? Got a complete Pokedex on Pokemon X and Omega Ruby that I don't want to lose.

http://youtu.be/Y88G3tp_f88

Etria

Eagerly awaiting my regular n3DS from France as NZ didn't get the black version. Kirby faceplate is also on the way! So excited to enjoy what seems to be a vast improvement (for the most part) of the handheld.

Seriously? The screens won't suddenly shatter because they don't have a thin bit of plastic covering them, you know?
You're right, but I don't care. After what I went through to get this thing, I'm not taking any chances and taking every precaution I can. I'm normally not a screen protector guy, but like I said I went through a lot to finally be able to get this MM n3DS XL, so waiting a little longer and putting on an "unnecessary" accessory is fine with me.

lutheran

When I called Nintendo about this a few days ago, they needed: my NNID, my email address, the old system's serial number, the new system's serial number, the color of the new system, and they asked me to name some of the games that had been bought digitally on the old system.

Thanks man, and after you gave them the info did they restore your purchases and how long did it take if you don't mind me asking.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Tried out Kid Icarus. I'm loving the game and I'm fine with the controls, but my left hand isn't. I'm getting through the levels, but by the time I get to the boss, my hand is so cramped I can't even fight properly. I'm trying to use my right pinky as support now. It's a shame, because I'm loving everything else about the game. Looks damn good too

Past

I left my New 3DS XL in sleep mode for 8-10 hours overnight and woke up with only half battery left, is that normal? The system was fully charged beforehand.

Top Bottom