• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

//ARCANUM

I left my New 3DS XL in sleep mode for 8-10 hours overnight and woke up with only half battery left, is that normal? The system was fully charged beforehand.

3DS's can't hold a charge for shit. get used to turning it off or plugging it in at night. this ain't no vita ;)

Etria

I left my New 3DS XL in sleep mode for 8-10 hours overnight and woke up with only half battery left, is that normal? The system was fully charged beforehand.

I've noticed that the battery lasts better in sleep mode when no games or applications are open. Did you have something on at the same time?

I stoped using sleep mode, battery lasts so much longer when turning it off completely.

Past

Yeah, I had a game open. Guess I will need to turn off the system when I know I won't be using it for a while. What is draining the battery anyway? I can leave my Vita in sleep mode for weeks and it still wouldn't lose a bar.

Etria

Yeah, I had a game open. Guess I will need to turn off the system when I know I won't be using it for a while. What is draining the battery anyway? I can leave my Vita in sleep mode for weeks and it still wouldn't lose a bar.

No clue, wish I knew. Unless you're one of those people who really care about average playtimes being recorded in a specific way in the Activity Log, it's more worth it closing it entirely.

Yeah, my Vita lasts much longer as well :p

Pachimari

If we ignore Indies that are also on Steam (are there any 3DS exclusives?), and that I won't buy my games digitally, is it still worth getting a 64gb MicroSD card?

I'll get Animal Crossing because it's my addiction. And Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies. And any other retail game that's only released digitally here in Europe.

But can I do with a 32gb?

Giever

Could be the wireless if you left that on. At least, I would suspect that would be the biggest drain on the battery while it's in sleep mode, since it's still working. Could be especially bad if you have a weak connection since it would keep trying to maintain it.

Unfortunately it's not as quick & easy to shut off the wireless with the New 3DSs because there isn't just a physical switch on the side, but that's what I usually do with my original one.

If we ignore Indies that are also on Steam (are there any 3DS exclusives?), and that I want buy my games digitally, is it still worth getting a 64gb MicroSD card?

I'll get Animal Crossing because it's my addiction. And Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies. And any other retail game that's only released digitally here in Europe.

But can I do with a 32gb?

You'll be fine for a while with 32 GB. For me, the price difference between 32 and 64 was small enough where I just opted for 64 so I wouldn't need to worry about it ever, and could have all of my games on there.

TI82

Banned

The vita is a far superior device technically is why

Pachimari

You'll be fine for a while with 32 GB. For me, the price difference between 32 and 64 was small enough where I just opted for 64 so I wouldn't need to worry about it ever, and could have all of my games on there.
I see my phone change my word from won't to want. Just to be sure. I won't buy games digitally other than AC and Phoenix Wright.

MrMephistoX

Tried out Kid Icarus. I'm loving the game and I'm fine with the controls, but my left hand isn't. I'm getting through the levels, but by the time I get to the boss, my hand is so cramped I can't even fight properly. I'm trying to use my right pinky as support now. It's a shame, because I'm loving everything else about the game. Looks damn good too
Does it let you use the nub in lefty mode? I'm not left handed but think I could get used to it more than using the stylus ;)

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Like someone else mentioned, you should at the very least shut off wifi.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Just got around to setting up the new system for a system transfer.

The system update has been going on for 15 mins now and it's not even halfway through. Normal?

fwpx

Looking for a grip/sleeve for this bad boy. I love it so far. My only gripe is the stylus placement could be better.

Yuterald

So, I went to remove my back panel and when I took my screwdriver to one of the bolts, the screw instantly stripped and now I can't even manage to remove the back shell. I've never had this happen before. It's so beyond stubbornly jammed in there that any more force I apply might snap the back panel in two. Guess I should take this back and try and get a replacement?

melman101

Ok just ordered my charger stand from Play-Asia. Can't wait for it to come in :).

I've been loving the New 3DS XL. It definitely has renewed my interest in this system fully.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Does it let you use the nub in lefty mode? I'm not left handed but think I could get used to it more than using the stylus ;)

You can use the nub, but not for aiming I think. I just ordered some thumb rings for DS. I checked a vid of someone playing it this way, and it just seems much more comfortable if you can hold the system with two hands.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Yeah. Just reformat it to FAT32 before using it with your 3DS.

I formatted my 128GB MicroSD with AOMEI Partition Assistant Pro Edition 5.6.

Disk utility in osx

whoah, whoah, whoa.

Formatting? Thank goodness I saw this info! I thought I could just throw a 64gb in there and it's be fine.

So to format it on Mac I dont need to DL anything just go to disk utility?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
whoah, whoah, whoa.

Formatting? Thank goodness I saw this info! I thought I could just throw a 64gb in there and it's be fine.

So to format it on Mac I dont need to DL anything just go to disk utility?

My card was already FAT32 but I reformatted it anyway since I wanted a 64kb cluster size.
Not sure what you can use with a Mac I'm afraid.

Bulbasaur

Banned
My card was already FAT32 but I reformatted it anyway since I wanted a 64kb cluster size.
Not sure what you can use with a Mac I'm afraid.

ok, I'll check the packaging and see if its already FAT32.

What are the advantages of formatting it to a 64kb cluster size? (tbh, I have no idea what that even means).

Thanks man, and after you gave them the info did they restore your purchases and how long did it take if you don't mind me asking.
Yeah, my NNID was delinked from my old system and I was able to link it to the new system.

As for purchases, I'm able to redownload all my games just fine. (I haven't done so because the customer support woman also said that since I already had a microSD in my old system, I could just move the old data to the folder created for the New 3DS and I can confirm that all my data is still on the card, but since my SD card reader is broken, I haven't tried moving it yet)

It didn't take long, I made the call on Wednesday around 3:50 pm or so (a few hours after getting my system) and the email was received around 1:00 pm at Friday, so only a couple days. But the woman did say that it can take up to 7 business days, so you know, you might have to wake a couple days or you might have to wait a week.

I bought a regular sized n3DS when they came out last year (Australia) and recently I got a good deal on an XL. I was concerned that the texture would be the same horrible gloss on the Wii U but this actually feels pretty nice to the touch. Has a decent amount of heft to it and all around is a lot more sturdy feeling than its smaller counterpart.

Can't seem to start a transfer for some reason though

Not really enjoying the c-stick in MH4 coming from the Hori slide pad, down is a struggle to activate a lot of the times and I feel like I have to put a lot of pressure on it. Hopefully it breaks in, or in the future, there's a new CPP/Hori Slide Pad.

Okay, so I'm having issues with the "Super Stable 3D." It just doesn't work well, in fact it usually makes everything a lot worse. Even in the initial calibration step (or I guess just test step) when it tells you to confirm that super stable 3d is working, mine wasn't really working. Even slightly moving my head or the 3DS causes the screen to give me the "Super stable 3D is not functioning correctly" message.

Could it be due to hair being in my face, partially covering my eyes? It seems like it works a bit better when I pull my hair back

EDIT: Oh god, that is totally the problem. Any way to fix this? I don't want to have to put my hair back every time I play my 3DS

OmarLexus

new simple grip 3DLL(?) from gametech

jZfMg91.png

qXJNWTl.png

35AzqNG.png

Is there no way to get this in the US yet?

That grip.. ugh..

Here's what I want in a grip.

• I want it to "relocate" the ZR/ZL buttons similar to the 2DS grip that "relocates" the L/R buttons.
  • I don't want it to cover up the Card Slot.
  • Although this might be pushing it, why don't they make a grip that is "flush" to the system where you have to unscrew the back panel and then screw in the grip?

Okay, so I'm having issues with the "Super Stable 3D." It just doesn't work well, in fact it usually makes everything a lot worse. Even in the initial calibration step (or I guess just test step) when it tells you to confirm that super stable 3d is working, mine wasn't really working. Even slightly moving my head or the 3DS causes the screen to give me the "Super stable 3D is not functioning correctly" message.

Could it be due to hair being in my face, partially covering my eyes? It seems like it works a bit better when I pull my hair back

EDIT: Oh god, that is totally the problem. Any way to fix this? I don't want to have to put my hair back every time I play my 3DS

Having hair in front of your eyes must prevent the eye tracking to function correctly indeed. Get a hair clip for playing sessions maybe ?

OK so I'm in a pickle. Did the transfer before I made sure I could take the cover off of this XL and as luck would have it, I can't. Left side came off fine but right side is locked in place. Tried 0 and 00 and neither work. I'm gonna return it once I can do the transfer back but I'm wondering since all my save files are on a memory stick that's in the destination system, what will happen when I do? Will it wipe them on the way back?

Is it possible to copy my save data from my computer to this new 3DS? Essentially, that's it's data so I reckon it might work.

isitstill

I haven't read the whole thread, and I'm sorry if I'm asking a question that's already been answered.

Anyway, I just bought a N3DSXL, and transferred from a 2DS. My 2DS had a Samsung 64 GB micro SD card, and tons of downloaded games.

I did the transfer where you just take your card out of the old system and put it into the new.

When I rebooted the new system, everything seemed fine. But a lot of my games don't show up on the menu.

They're on the card. I can see them on the software manager. But they're grayed out with an X on them.

Anyone know how to solve the problem?

isitstill

Well, I figured out the problem. The system had to check the internet for the lisence for each game, I guess. And I think I stopped it earlier.

But somehow, I've ended up with this, lol

image.jpg

I've got some unwrapping to do :/

Owari

Anyone ITT pick up both consoles and prefer the smaller size? I feel like I switch off on which one I like more every other day.

boon

Well, I figured out the problem. The system had to check the internet for the lisence for each game, I guess. And I think I stopped it earlier.

But somehow, I've ended up with this, lol

image.jpg

I've got some unwrapping to do :/
Phew! Glad everything worked out! That is quite a bounty of gifts.…

CLEEK

You could try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDSBQA0pogU

Top Bottom