• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I tried the MH4U demo again on my old 3dsxl, and I just can't go back now. If only I could get a back plate replacement on my n3dsxl.

bigkurz

Banned
Could be the wireless if you left that on. At least, I would suspect that would be the biggest drain on the battery while it's in sleep mode, since it's still working. Could be especially bad if you have a weak connection since it would keep trying to maintain it.

Unfortunately it's not as quick & easy to shut off the wireless with the New 3DSs because there isn't just a physical switch on the side, but that's what I usually do with my original one.

No it's not that he's doing anything wrong. It's that the 3DS power management is crap. It just drains like crazy when in "sleep" mode. It'll be dead in 1-2 days.

I've left my Vita on sleep mode for 2 weeks and still had >50% battery. It's great.

Past

I see a double image/ghosting effect if I have my 3D slider too high. I thought this was supposed to have been fixed? It's giving me a headache. :/

I see a double image/ghosting effect if I have my 3D slider too high. I thought this was supposed to have been fixed? It's giving me a headache. :/

I've noticed this, too. Not all the time, but more often than I'd like.

More alarmingly, and I'm actually being serious, has anyone experienced weird vision after prolonged sessions? I've been playing MH4U a lot this weekend, and for awhile when I'd look up at my monitor to check email or read GAF, it'd have this seemingly doubling effect. Blinking a few times got rid of it each time it happened. Was super strange.

Veal

Ghosting kinda comes with territory, especially in high contrast scenes. You'll notice it the most in dark scenes.

Yeah it's not good. I was missing a bar. I charged for around 45 mins and it was still missing a bar.

The 3DS charger is just so weak. 900mA only. Most phone chargers nowadays charge at 1500mA or even 2000mA.

TUSR

Banned
The C stick and new shoulder buttons randomly stopped working in Smash, what?

MH4 failed to recognize a circle pad pro as well. Is this common?

Crisis averted. Managed to to get to the memory card slot with only one loose screw. I'll have to ride it out with this XL until I can transfer my stuff off then I can get a replacement next week.

For how nice the XL feels the backplate is 100x flimsier than the normal n3DS.

JimPanzer

anyones n3DS XL gets hot on the back while charging? can't remember my original 3DS XL doing that.

also is anyone else's backplate creaking sometimes?

Finally got a HORI screen protector, found one at TRU of all places. While I was putting it on I think I found a dead pixel :( . With the system off I notice one perfectly white square pixel, and i'm assuming that is what it is. Other than that as usual the HORI screen projector went on beautifully.

CRA5H

Yeah it's not good. I was missing a bar. I charged for around 45 mins and it was still missing a bar.

The 3DS charger is just so weak. 900mA only. Most phone chargers nowadays charge at 1500mA or even 2000mA.
I wonder if it's safe to use a third party usb adapter to charge the n3DS using a proprietary->USB charging cable. I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't recommend it but I wonder if anyone here has used it.

CRA5H

Anyone know if hori are releasing a new 3dsxl branded case, the one that says its for the new 3ds xl just says 3ds on it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-3DS-Hard-Pouch-Nintendo/dp/B00RZ7TC82/
Hey sorry I missed your PM about this case! One thing I hate about gaf mobile is the lack of message notifications.

Here are 3 pics I took of mine. It's exactly the same as the one in that link but it says 3DSXL also.

wkamUtp.jpg

Nmq48XJ.jpg

kkrgXWN.jpg

Someday, I will be able to walk into best buy and buy one of these things.

Sigh. :(

I feel your pain. I wasn't going to pick one of these up, but I tried the demo model over the weekend and the new stable 3D and the sleek black color swayed me. I have a movers coupon and some reward certificates to best buy, though, so I can't justify buying it anywhere else right now...which is disappointing because a number of GameStops near me have stock at the moment.

Really hoping Best Buy gets some in stores before PAX East in a couple weeks. Need that C-Stick if I'm going to be playing Smash all day...

Pachimari

Do Hori have a similar case for the regular sized N3DS?

I would like one that is specifically designed for it, which will not also press down the shoulder buttons.

CRA5H

Do Hori have a similar case for the regular sized N3DS?

I would like one that is specifically designed for it, which will not also press down the shoulder buttons.
The one I posted pics of doesn't touch the shoulder buttons, which was my biggest concern when I bought it.

I wonder if it's safe to use a third party usb adapter to charge the n3DS using a proprietary->USB charging cable. I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't recommend it but I wonder if anyone here has used it.

I've been using that for a long time on my old 3DS XL. It's one of those USB chargers with multiple heads for different devices.

I didn't know where to ask, but I'm getting paid today and I'm going to drive around to look for a N3DS. Where are some places I should check out first, Best Buy or Target?

For reference I live in Southern California.

marrec

Banned
I didn't know where to ask, but I'm getting paid today and I'm going to drive around to look for a N3DS. Where are some places I should check out first, Best Buy or Target?

Target seems to have a higher inventory than Best Buy right now. At least here in West Pennsylvania they do.

I'd check there first. None of the Best Buys in this area have gotten any more than 3-4 per shipment and they go pretty fast.

I'm in Massachusetts, so this may not be helpful, but I saw inventory at Target, Toys R Us, and even a few GameStops over the weekend.

I just called my local Best Buy and the girl on the phone told me that the earliest their particular store will have them is tomorrow when they get their next big delivery of inventory, although she doesn't know if it'll contain any new 3DS units
and probably wouldn't be able to tell me even if she did know

GameStop's inventory checker on their website and app has shown stock at around 10 stores in the 50 mile radius for me...I'd give that a look if you haven't yet!

Target seems to have a higher inventory than Best Buy right now. At least here in West Pennsylvania they do.

I'd check there first. None of the Best Buys in this area have gotten any more than 3-4 per shipment and they go pretty fast.

I got a list of stores ready so I can call in. I'm trying to get some ideas. There might be shops I don't know about.

I'm in Massachusetts, so this may not be helpful, but I saw inventory at Target, Toys R Us, and even a few GameStops over the weekend.

I just called my local Best Buy and the girl on the phone told me that the earliest their particular store will have them is tomorrow when they get their next big delivery of inventory, although she doesn't know if it'll contain any new 3DS units
and probably wouldn't be able to tell me even if she did know

GameStop's inventory checker on their website and app has shown stock at around 10 stores in the 50 mile radius for me...I'd give that a look if you haven't yet!

I'll try that thanks!! I don't care if I have to drive out 50 miles from where I am, I need to play Monster Hunter damn it!

isitstill

I hate to shop at Wal Mart, but I picked up a system last night at a Wal Mart in a pretty crummy area of town. I even bought it online and then picked it up at the store, same day.

Hey sorry I missed your PM about this case! One thing I hate about gaf mobile is the lack of message notifications.

Here are 3 pics I took of mine. It's exactly the same as the one in that link but it says 3DSXL also.

Nice I wonder if the strap that holds the ds in place, scratches or dents it in the long run.

My original 3DS XL case put an indentation of the same shape of the "cart holder" that's inside. Probably when I put the case in my laptop bag and some weight gets applied. But since then I've been too anal about cases.

My Zelda case looks exactly like this one but I think I'm going to wait until the clear HORI shell cover arrives next week.

Owari

I got a list of stores ready so I can call in. I'm trying to get some ideas. There might be shops I don't know about.

I'll try that thanks!! I don't care if I have to drive out 50 miles from where I am, I need to play Monster Hunter damn it!

I saw a few at some random Targets while Amiibo hunting. I don't think they're that difficult to locate.

I feel your pain. I wasn't going to pick one of these up, but I tried the demo model over the weekend and the new stable 3D and the sleek black color swayed me. I have a movers coupon and some reward certificates to best buy, though, so I can't justify buying it anywhere else right now...which is disappointing because a number of GameStops near me have stock at the moment.

Really hoping Best Buy gets some in stores before PAX East in a couple weeks. Need that C-Stick if I'm going to be playing Smash all day...

You can't use the movers coupon on a 3DS or games. I tried to when I picked up my system last week and it wouldn't work.

lionpants

Finally got a HORI screen protector, found one at TRU of all places. While I was putting it on I think I found a dead pixel :( . With the system off I notice one perfectly white square pixel, and i'm assuming that is what it is. Other than that as usual the HORI screen projector went on beautifully.
You wouldn't be able to notice a dead pixel if the system was off.

I had my first experience of accidentally turning off the system while playing MH4U yesterday. I usually use my right pinky to support the bottom right side of the system while holding it. I was half way through a hunt and the system shut down screen popped up. I realized my pinky had been resting on the power button.

The new power button location sucks. :(

Pachimari

I have to say the turn on/off button's placement is great for the regular-sized N3DS. The button doesn't stick out and it's not easy to press in. Love it.

Though I disliked how there seems, to be a great lack of peripherals for the regular-sized one.

You can't use the movers coupon on a 3DS or games. I tried to when I picked up my system last week and it wouldn't work.

Damn, really? I read through all the fine print and didn't see anything that said it wouldn't work. It's only $20 but it's still disappointing.

EDIT: Here's the full list of exclusions from their website:

Products in the following categories are excluded from this offer:
Projectors, DSLR cameras, Compact System Cameras, lenses & flashes; subscription software services, digital music services; music & eReader download cards; Unlocked phones; contract mobile phones; and mobile broadband devices. Select premium: TVs from LG, Samsung, Sharp and Sony; Blu-ray players from LG, Samsung and Sony; home audio products from Samsung and Sony; Select Sony camcorders, digital cameras, NEX cameras; & headphones, set top boxes; Canon XA & XF series camcorders and G1X, S110, G16 cameras; Nikon Coolpix A & P530 cameras; Wacom tablets & stylus; Apple branded accessories for iPhone, iPad, audio and computing.

Products from the following brands are excluded from this offer: Bose®, Beats by Dr. Dre, Boston Acoustics, Breville, Dyson, Go Pro, Leap, Philips, Sonos and Electrolux. These brands and products available through Magnolia are excluded: Arcam, Bowers & Wilkins, Kaleidescope, Martin Logan, McIntosh, Oppo, Pioneer Elite, Rotel, Savant, Sennheiser, Sonance, Sonus Faber, Universal Remote Control™ and special order merchandise. These brands and products available through Pacific Sales/Pacfic Sale Kitchen & Home are excluded: Dacor, DCS, Jenn-Air, Miele, Monogram, Sub-Zero, Thermador, Viking, Wolf.

I've read through that a few times and don't see anything excluding video games or Nintendo specifically. If they get stock in I'm still going to try the mover's coupon and show them their own fine print and hope I get lucky I guess.

dedhead54

So far I have accidentally turned my N3DS XL twice while playing. Lost a solid 25 minutes of progress in OoT 3D one of those times.

Anyone else have this issue? I think I have subconsciously stopped letting my pinky finger rest where I had been but I still worry it may happen again.

(mat)

Alberta here too. I ordered the TPU from a Japanese seller on Amazon.ca and I really don't know when I'll get it.

I'm not sure what the TPU is.

So far I have accidentally turned my N3DS XL twice while playing. Lost a solid 25 minutes of progress in OoT 3D one of those times.

Anyone else have this issue? I think I have subconsciously stopped letting my pinky finger rest where I had been but I still worry it may happen again.

YES! I did the same while playing Majora's Mask. I felt like a doofus. Now I'm scared to touch the bottom of the console at all. Game card ejection, power button... It's like a mine field down there!

You wouldn't be able to notice a dead pixel if the system was off.

I had my first experience of accidentally turning off the system while playing MH4U yesterday. I usually use my right pinky to support the bottom right side of the system while holding it. I was half way through a hunt and the system shut down screen popped up. I realized my pinky had been resting on the power button.

The new power button location sucks. :(

I realized you cant see them when its off after the post, then it's something under the screen because I was unable to get it off before putting on the screen protectors and it's definitely not anything on the actual screen. Not that bad so I'm not too concerned.

Damn, really? I read through all the fine print and didn't see anything that said it wouldn't work. It's only $20 but it's still disappointing.

EDIT: Here's the full list of exclusions from their website:

I've read through that a few times and don't see anything excluding video games or Nintendo specifically. If they get stock in I'm still going to try the mover's coupon and show them their own fine print and hope I get lucky I guess.

Yup - you could try raising a stink and see if they take it. Might as well.

Top Bottom