• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

DagsJT

this thing here:

51wvni-jvrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I ordered this one.

What search terms would you use in English?

lionpants

I realized you cant see them when its off after the post, then it's something under the screen because I was unable to get it off before putting on the screen protectors and it's definitely not anything on the actual screen. Not that bad so I'm not too concerned.
One of my first 3DS had some dust under the glass in the top screen. Like you said, it's probably that. The store I purchased it from did a swap for me.
Screen protectors on 3DS. Y/N? i never used one on my XL or Regular 3ds but I'm considering one for my MMn3DS.
For the bottom screen at least; most definitely.

Yup - you could try raising a stink and see if they take it. Might as well.

Yeah I think the only way they can exclude it is as a UMRP Product, but I don't believe any video games fall into that category because they occasionally put all kinds of consoles/games/accessories on sale, which they wouldn't be able to if it was a UMRP item.

The new stylus placement is terrible and actually makes me try to use it less. Other than that, i love everything about the new system.

Also, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire has me by the balls. I thought it would be Majora's Mask or Monster Hunter, but Pokemon is all i've been playing since i picked it up on Saturday. Loving it.

lionpants

The new stylus placement is terrible and actually makes me try to use it less. Other than that, i love everything about the new system.

Also, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire has me by the balls. I thought it would be Majora's Mask or Monster Hunter, but Pokemon is all i've been playing since i picked it up on Saturday. Loving it.
Agreed, it's just an ordeal to remove the stylus now.

brau

I just got some screen protectors... and now i am shopping for some nice small headphones for it.. any recommendations or favorites?

Man, I could not find one for the life of me this weekend and randomly I see a Toys R' Us 20 minutes away from work have them in stock, they had 2 blacks and 1 red.

Remk

I am getting my N3DS on Wednesday, i have a 16 Gb microSD card on my soon to be old 3DS, is there a way to simply swap out the card when making the transfer? Can somebody point me to instructions or what I would need to do?

Thanks!

Koppai

NoRéN;153387632 said:
Any reliable program to format a 64gb micro sdxc to work on the new 3dsxl?
Right click and hit format if your on Windows.
I am getting my N3DS on Wednesday, i have a 16 Gb microSD card on my soon to be old 3DS, is there a way to simply swap out the card when making the transfer? Can somebody point me to instructions or what I would need to do?

Thanks!
During the transfer process it asks you specifically if you want to use the same microsd card in the system you are transferring to.

Ecto311

Anyone notice with this or the old 3ds XL that the battery shits the bed if shut while a game is running but if shut while on the menu in the front end of the system the battery doesn't have that issue? Is there a guide to this because sometimes I close it and get a few days and other times I close the system and come back later the same day and its dead.

Ended up getting lucky today and finding a New 3DS (Black) on the shelf at Best Buy and was able to use a mover's coupon and some reward certificates to get the price down to $160. Pretty psyched with the purchase at that price! Just finished up my transfer too...time to go get my Smash on
with a C-Stick!
!

Velcro Fly

I hope I can find one of these in the next few weeks. Kinda want to be able to use Marth and Ike for fun in Code Name Steam before I beat the game and lose interest in it.

Want to get it at Best Buy for the rewards points but at this point I'll go anywhere :(

Veal

This is the one I want (link). I had a similar one for my old 3DSXL, and it worked miracles. Hard to get in Canada aside from eBay, though. I hate going through eBay. :(
I ordered one and put up impressions, but this thread was moving really fast at one point. Long story short, it feels cheap but it's not going to break, the grip does wonders for the ergonomics of the console but still isn't as good as the CyberGadget grip that hasn't released yet. Getting the 3DS out of the grip is cumbersome too, worse than the Circle Pad Pro. It's worthy if you can get it for cheap and it looks like the only one available atm. I'll definitely be picking up the CyberGadget grip when it drops.

Remk

During the transfer process it asks you specifically if you want to use the same microsd card in the system you are transferring to.

That is good news, you would think Nintendo would be spreading this information as an easy way to make a transfer, oh well

Thanks for the info Koppai!

hoserx

Hmm I guess that is more annoying.. Given the limited stock of the MM3DSXL I would personally deal with it. :p

yeah, I was figuring that. Anyways I wonder if nintendo would replace the screen for 1 dead pixel....... I suppose I'll call first and see what my options are.

I'm super impressed by the new Super Stable 3D. I used to keep 3D off but now I leave it on almost all the time. It makes a huge difference to the overall experience of using the system.

marrec

Banned
Got my new black 3DS in and it looks and feels so much better than the original 3DS. What stopped me so often from ever buying an OG 3DS was that it felt like it was cheap. The build quality of the materials left me wanting (especially compared to other handhelds). This thing though feels and looks like what I'd expect. It has a solid weight to it and while at first I was a little disappointed that I could only get the black... I think it's quite the looker now that I see it in person.

As others have said, the super stable 3D is a nice touch. I've been playing through 3D Land and haven't felt the need to turn it off yet. I owned a 2DS prior to this and was worried about the larger screen making the games look worse but I haven't found that to be the case yet, though I'm never very good at judging graphical fidelity. Overall I'm extremely pleased with it. My only disappointment is that I didn't have the option to buy a Regular N3DS for the swappable faceplates. :(

A few things to mention on the negative side is the wobbly screen. I can push it back and forth on the hinge which, while not annoying now, may eventually prove insufferable if it causes any other problems. Also Nintendo's account system is, as always, a joke and having to transfer everything over instead of just signing in and going was a stark reminder that while Nintendo knows how to make excellent hardware and software, they're still frustratingly antiquated when it comes to accounts. It's all very early 90s.

brau

I'm super impressed by the new Super Stable 3D. I used to keep 3D off but now I leave it on almost all the time. It makes a huge difference to the overall experience of using the system.

Yea... i like playing the games in 3d now. MH4 looks awesome with it, and the cutscenes.

Completely agree...been playing through Kirby and it's AMAZING with the 3D on...really charming fun game game.

Rootbeer

Banned
no dead pixels here... i thought i might have some but turned out to be dust that got under the screen protector, so make sure that's not the issue.

there are some remedies that sometimes can fix dead pixels, i recommend googling for that before sending it in for a repair

Are you guys experiencing less cross talk with the 3D now? While the sweet spot is greatly expanded I don't think the effect is at all improved. I mostly have the 3D on minimum for that smidgen of depth.

brau

Are you guys experiencing less cross talk with the 3D now? While the sweet spot is greatly expanded I don't think the effect is at all improved. I mostly have the 3D on minimum for that smidgen of depth.

This depends on the developers side. If they have the near and far plane of the camera used set to be ideal, the the biggest 3d effect will be better.

This has nothing to do with the device tho. So any game that has a bad 3d depth is mostly on them and their camera setup.

ZOONAMI

Got my new black 3DS in and it looks and feels so much better than the original 3DS. What stopped me so often from ever buying an OG 3DS was that it felt like it was cheap. The build quality of the materials left me wanting (especially compared to other handhelds). This thing though feels and looks like what I'd expect. It has a solid weight to it and while at first I was a little disappointed that I could only get the black... I think it's quite the looker now that I see it in person.

As others have said, the super stable 3D is a nice touch. I've been playing through 3D Land and haven't felt the need to turn it off yet. I owned a 2DS prior to this and was worried about the larger screen making the games look worse but I haven't found that to be the case yet, though I'm never very good at judging graphical fidelity. Overall I'm extremely pleased with it. My only disappointment is that I didn't have the option to buy a Regular N3DS for the swappable faceplates. :(

A few things to mention on the negative side is the wobbly screen. I can push it back and forth on the hinge which, while not annoying now, may eventually prove insufferable if it causes any other problems. Also Nintendo's account system is, as always, a joke and having to transfer everything over instead of just signing in and going was a stark reminder that while Nintendo knows how to make excellent hardware and software, they're still frustratingly antiquated when it comes to accounts. It's all very early 90s.

I couldn't handle my wobbly hinge, returned it. Got a new one and the hinge is perfect.

Top Bottom