• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Pachimari

No played Smash Bros since Gamecube, just been looking at reviews etc, looks pretty lame on 3DS.. Damn.

You should try out the demo and see if its something for you on a handheld. Also ask yourself, after having completed your last game, if you would be more in the mood for a fighting game or an adventure game.

No played Smash Bros since Gamecube, just been looking at reviews etc, looks pretty lame on 3DS.. Damn.

Personally, I really like it on both platforms. It's certainly better on Wii U, but the 3DS version combined with being able to put the system in standby makes for great quick matches whenever you feel like picking it up and playing a bit! EDIT: To be fair, though, the online can definitely be shakier just because of the nature of handhelds being moved around while playing and there's greater potential for someone being further away from their router and such.

Haven't played MM3D yet, but Ocarina 3D was a great remake and MM3D reviews were great so I'd say you really can't go wrong with either title!

Still can't decide which game to get next.. Majora's Mask or Smash Bros..

got a Wii U? then get Majora's Mask. If not it's a tough call. Smash is definitely better on Wii U but I still go back to do some online with the 3DS version. Majora's Mask is amazing as well. I think it might have taken the crown for my favorite 3DS title.

got a Wii U? then get Majora's Mask. If not it's a tough call. Smash is definitely better on Wii U but I still go back to do some online with the 3DS version. Majora's Mask is amazing as well. I think it might have taken the crown for my favorite 3DS title.

Unfortunately not, it was either n3DS or Wii U but I love Pokemon games most so passed on the Wii U, may get one for my upcoming Birthday though.. Could always hold off on Smash Bros until then.

Chorazin

Smash 3DS is unaplayable online for me. It's just lag city. Kinda wish I hadn't bought it, honestly.

MANGOD

Banned
Not to go to off topic but for someone who is a new 3ds owner I need some advice from owners who use the download play feature.
I got a new 3ds xl and after discovering the download play feature with my other half who just has a ds i decided to get her a regular 3ds that I managed to get for cheap. However and I will say I can only test it on one game just now which is mario and sonic at the Olympic games 2012. But I keep getting a communication error when trying this out and its completly useless. If I have the cart in my xl i could probably get a few games but then the screen will go black with communication error press home button. If the cart is in her 3ds which is not the new model the game will have major slow down like 5fps when going through menus amd will just crash with the same error screen.
Im just wondering is this the case with download play or could her 3ds has some kind of fault with the hardware?

Spades

Does anyone use this Cover Plate?

new_nintendo_3ds_cover_plate_no.012_.jpg

My wife is interested it but curious what the texture is like?

Does anyone use this Cover Plate?
My wife is interested it but curious what the texture is like?
I think it is matte, but I am not sure (guessing due to the hole bumps). I have the felt version.
It is either gloss or matte though considering the price point.

It's pretty dull tbh. I've been mulling about in World 2 since launch.
You are doing better than me, I have not even bother to get past World 1. Soulless is pretty much the best way to describe it.

Tybolt

Banned
Finally picked up mine, and I only had to drive 50-some miles to do it.

I'm prepping up a 64GB SDXC right now, following that one guide and using MiniTool's partitioner. I have two questions:

Have we had any solid decision since the launch on whether or not 32kb or 64kb clusters make a difference?

The tool's final option is the partition alignment: Cylinder or MB. Is there a preferred choice? I normally just use SDFormatter but apparently that's not an option for this size of stick.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Aw man......even the new model still doesn't support Wireless N or AC connections....
Come on Nintendo your hardware is the only device in my whole house holding my wireless network back.

_Isaac

What's the point of the SD card? Is it just for pictures and downloadable games? I don't see myself taking many pictures or downloading games, so I'm not sure if I should look into getting a bigger SD card.

Ellite25

Uff... you are in for a treat then. MM is amazing. A very complex game, with lots and lots of things to do and follow. Easily one of my favorite zelda games.
I'm playing through it now and I don't really like the complexity. It's actually turning me off from playing it.

My friend bought one today along with the newest Pokémon. He arrived home only to learn that the damn thing does not come with a power cable. The shop closed after he left so he has to wait until tomorrow so he can play it, as the console's battery is not charged.

What the hell ? How did Nintendo arrive at the decision to ship a handheld console without a power cable ? It defies understanding.

What's the point of the SD card? Is it just for pictures and downloadable games? I don't see myself taking many pictures or downloading games, so I'm not sure if I should look into getting a bigger SD card.
Stuff like patches, extra data, and DLC is also saved to the SD card.

Also music, if you know, you wanna use your 3DS as an mp3 player.

dedhead54

Just hooked up my new xl and im currently downloading oot. Why the hell is the download going so slow?

I did the same thing right off the bat and I didn't experience any issues with the download/speed. I was actually out of town and was pleasantly surprised at how quick it went on the connection I was using. Just a few minutes.

Grave

Neo Member
I've only heard a few complaints about back panel issues from other N3DS owners, but I know I'm not alone, so I thought I'd update with what I spoke to Nintendo about in case anyone else is having similar issues.

Basically, no matter how I screw the back panel on, one side catches perfectly and the other side remains loose. The clips don't hold it securely, and it'll easily pry downward. There appears to be no damage whatsoever, but it's hard to tell because, well, the clips are really small and shitty. The Nintendo rep said he had heard of a few cases of it, but it's not widespread. It's definitely covered under warranty, but he said if I sent in the MH4U unit I probably wouldn't be getting another one back. I basically just saw "nah dude, thanks but I'll just get some 2-sided tape."

Really friendly, helpful people on their 1-800 line though. He answered a ton of other simple little questions I had re: themes, etc. and eventually had to go cuz we were shooting the shit about Majora's Mask for too long. Very happy with their phone service.

What I ended up doing was applying a little glue on the inside of the shell from a Tombow PIT Slide adhesive roller. Still comes off fine if you need it to, but it won't budge unless you actually pull at it. Feels just fine to play now, no back panel looseness at all.

I did the same thing right off the bat and I didn't experience any issues with the download/speed. I was actually out of town and was pleasantly surprised at how quick it went on the connection I was using. Just a few minutes.

Took me over an hour to download OOT with a 25Mb connection. Im guessing theres a firewall issue somewhere which is weird cuz my ps4 handles downloads just fine.

I went a little crazy buying games...

Am I missing anything from my mini collection so far?

zGerGFF.jpg

Not shown: Cave Story 3D.

It was a pain in the ass getting some games there below retail but I found games/coupons to trade with.

Anything I'm missing out on?

Chibot

I haven't been following the thread lately- any news on more Majora's LE systems on the way? Is that dream deader than dead?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm probably going to upgrade my microSD card. I've got the tiny 4GB card and want to go 32+. Few questions!

1) Is there any reason not to go 64GB? Do you lose access speed by formatting to FAT32?

2) How easy is it to swap cards and transfer the current data to the new card? Is it as easy as drag and drop on the PC?

Pretty excited to get home from school tomorrow. My 3DS should be waiting for me.

Also is there any reason to go above 32 GB? I'm not exclusively doing digital games, unless I'm missing something I'm thinking I'm better off transferring my stuff to a new card if I ever need it.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see the guy above me asked pretty much the same question.

Grave

Neo Member
2) How easy is it to swap cards and transfer the current data to the new card? Is it as easy as drag and drop on the PC?
No clue about #1, 32 is the highest I've gone for my N3DS from 16GB on my old one. As for upgrading once you're already situated on the new system, yep, drag the files to your PC, drag 'em to the new card, pop the card back in and you'll be on your way. At least, that's the way it worked before. I doubt they would have changed this for the new model.

As for the post after, my 16GB was almost full with 4-5 full games downloaded and tons of VC/ambassador titles, so 32 should last a pretty long time (or, uh, forever) if you don't go digital a lot.

edit: re: access speeds, I don't know if it's the fact that I went with a class 10 SanDisk Ultra this time combined with the improved N3DS system speed or what, but some operations that used to take forever on my old 3DS XL with a 16GB card fly by now. Very happy with the new system and storage overall.

Has anyone tried using that Persona Q case from the LE with the n3ds xl? My current case is actually a bit too small/snug and I was going to pick up Persona anyway, thought if that case would work, with the sale it'd be a nice little 2 for 1 type situation.

Has anyone tried using that Persona Q case from the LE with the n3ds xl? My current case is actually a bit too small/snug and I was going to pick up Persona anyway, thought if that case would work, with the sale it'd be a nice little 2 for 1 type situation.
Yeah it's a little too small which is a shame. The shoulder buttons are pressed down whenever my n3dsxl is in the case.

Top Bottom